SACW | 30 Nov. 2003 | Taslima nasrin book ban | Gandhi in Gujarat | Assam

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sat Nov 29 21:30:31 CST 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  30 November,  2003

From the South Asia Citizens Web:  www.sacw.net

_______

[1] Taslima Nasrin Responds to her book ban in West Bengal
+ Outrage In Calcutta: Can We Ban All Bans? (Sundeep Dougal)
[2] The Old Man On The Flag - Perhaps Modi and
co. will be forced to recall Gandhi in an
unexpected way  (Ruchir Joshi)
[3] Media, reality and virtual reality (Sanjoy Hazarika)
[4] International Fortnight Protesting Violence
Against Women And Girls  (25 Nov -10 Dec, Delhi)
[5] Global Day Of Action Against Corporate Crime
December 3, 2003: 19th Anniversary of Bhopal Gas Disaster (event in Baroda)

--------------

[1]

taslimanasrin.com

Taslima Nasrin Responds to her book ban in West Bengal
[29 November 2003]

What do I feel when I hear that the most cultured
and enlightend and intellectual place in Bengal,
the West Bengal, has banned Dwinkhandita?

I could not believe that it had happened. My
hopes and dreams, my strong feelings for, and my
pride about West Bengal broke like glass-bangles.
Could it possibly be that the state government of
West Bengal so feared that my book would hurt the
religious feelings of the people, that it would
disturb the communal harmony in the state, that
it would be necessary to ban it?

Many know that the banning of my books has to do
with Muslim votes, votes to guarantee the
survival of patriarchalism.  Yes, I have been
outspoken against religions. And yes, the books
with my comments on religion are available in
West Bengal. Nobody asked to ban those books. Why
now? The communal harmony would be disturbed?
This is an admission that the ban is only to fool
the people. The main reason for trying to shut me
up is something else entirely.  The reality is
that those who espouse patriarchy are the very
ones who are adamant about not allowing women to
talk about sex or about sexual freedom for women.

Male writers, who live in a patriarchal society
that gives them advantages not available to
women, became furious as soon as my books came
out.  The media - male-controlled - spread
unwarranted hatred against me, leading to libel
suits now totaling $4,000,000.  They demanded
that my books be banned and that I be punished.
They called me a pornographer and a prostitute.
What galls is that other writers and
intellectuals have seemingly not rushed to my
immediate defense. How could writers, whose fight
is to protect their own right to the freedom of
expression, logically take such a stand! What
will disinterested critics surely say about their
intellectual fragility!

What is the bottom line, and why the objections to my books?

         The line is that I am not supposed, as a
writer of my own autobiography,
                 to include my political, social,
economical, and personal history.

     Patriarchical minds object.
         I am not supposed to write about equality and justice for women.

     Patriarchical minds object.
         I must not talk about the enjoyment of
sex, if what I write includes showing
                 the enjoyment of sex by women.

     Patriarchal minds object.

         I must not dare to challenge patriarchy.
                 For if it were to tumble down
women would no longer be able to be treated
                 as slaves, as sexual commodities,
and men would have to make a shift in
                 their viewpoints and actions.

If individuals in both East and West Bengal are
not ready to hear such views, if their minds are
stubbornly set against any new ideas, and if they
are afraid of other of my ideas, then in the eyes
of others it is they who are the authoritarians,
the conformists, the perverted people with closed
minds.

I am a proud nonconformist. I accept the good
from the past and reject the bad. But I do not
accept the view that it is bad to express oneself
freely. Women are being oppressed everywhere, are
they not? Well, this oppression simply has to
stop!

o o o o

Outlook | Web [Feature]  | Nov 28, 2003
OUTRAGE IN CALCUTTA
SUNDEEP DOUGAL
Can We Ban All Bans?
Obviously not, as that would be a ban too, but
the latest ban on Taslima Nasreen's book - no
matter how offensive it is or is made out to be -
is yet another precedent for spreading more
communal disharmony, exactly what it avowedly
seeks to prevent. Updates.

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fodname=20031128&fname=taslima&sid=1

The Telegraph
November 30, 2003
The Thin Edge [Column]

THE OLD MAN ON THE FLAG
- Perhaps Modi and co. will be forced to recall Gandhi in an unexpected way

Ruchir Joshi

A few days ago I was in Gujarat making a radio
documentary for the BBC. On the last day of my
visit, I found myself interviewing Anandi Patel,
the state minister for education, and someone
reputed to be very close to Narendra Modi. During
the interview, the minister said something that
almost knocked me off my chair. As she began
listing her achievements, the minister mentioned
a recent function held by the Gujarat government
in Porbandar: "Why Porbandar?" Smt Patel
rhetorically asked, the righteous light shining
in her eyes, "Because people are beginning to
forget Gandhi. They are beginning to forget
Gandhi!"

The reason I was shocked was simple. I was
meeting Anandi Patel after having spent a week
talking to victims of the 2002 killings, talking
to activists from differing backgrounds, talking
to friends trying to lead a normal existence in a
mind-numbingly abnormal society. Forget the
newspaper and TV reports, leave aside the
findings of various commissions, what I had come
face to face with for the first time was a
complete, naked, planned and sustained
anti-Gandhi-ism, and this not only from the
government - which of course leads the project of
decimation - but also from ordinary middle-class
Gujarati Hindus. "Gandhi", "Bapu", "ahimsa" and
"satyagraha", were all now bad words that you
avoided uttering in many circles of polite
Ahmedabad society.

Given that Anandi Patel was a be-medalled general
of the army carrying out this massacre of
Gandhi's legacy, the very least I expected was a
polite dismissal of old MKG, something to the
tune of "yes, yes, those ideas are unpractical in
the face of Muslim terrorism", or "yes, he was a
great man of his time but that time has long
passed". What I did not expect was the sheer
effrontery of a statement akin to: yes, we will
butcher people, and then terrorize them with
POTA, but we also reserve the right to put the
old man on our flag and wave it around.

Naïve of me, of course. It's not as though I
haven't noticed the Congress, even at its violent
worst, clinging on to the round spectacles, the
stick and the charkha, nor, to the best of my
knowledge, has a single October 2 passed without
the chief minister of this cadre-deploying Left
Front putting a flowery noose around Gandhi's
statue, and nor have the many feudal satraps and
small-time crooks leading segments of other
parties left the old man alone. The difference
this time, I imagined, was that finally an Indian
political party had decided it could do without
the fig-leaf of Gandhi's dhoti. And I couldn't
have been more wrong.

The problem, of course, is that the brand is too
strong, too ingrained in people's minds, both
nationally and internationally, to be jettisoned
so easily. The world over the equation is
Gandhi=non-violence and peace, but also
Gandhi=Gujarat, therefore Gujarat=non-violence
and peace. Now, when you are looking to sweep
both the massive mismanagement of the
post-earthquake situation as well as the huge,
evil, execution of the post-Godhra massacres
under the carpet, when you are looking to save
your political neck by trying to induce large
foreign investments into a troubled state
economy, then you need to put out some reassuring
icons. Nothing is better for this purpose than
big newspaper ads sporting the familiar
silhouette of MKG next to a selective list of
"Gandhian ideals", such as Vegetarianism and the
support for Handicrafts, under the slogan:
Gandhiji na pagey pagey ("In the footsteps of
Gandhiji"). What gives it away, though, is the
little, oval, portrait of a smiling Narendra
"Aapdo Adolf" Modi in the top right corner of the
spread.

Talking about Adolf, once you notice this
inside-out conjurer's trick, then you see it
everywhere. Two days ago, it was Ashok Singhal's
advocate brother on TV accusing Mulayam Singh of
"Hitlerian" tactics, never mind that the RSS-VHP
have always loved and revered their Fuehrer.
Before that it was Vajpayee being "Gandhian" in
saying that we should all trust the VHP to
maintain the peace in Ayodhya (Pray why, Atal-ji?
Why should we trust these thugs, who've always
run their chariot on wheels of violence and
hatred, to maintain the peace?) and then, to top
it all off, you have George Bush bringing out of
his mouth the same foreign word - peace - while
speaking about Iraq.

With Bush we know that if he was woken up from
sleep and asked to spell "peace" he would come up
with a four-letter construction ending with a
double "s". But in the case of Anandi Patel I had
no reason to suspect that her Gujarati wasn't
equal to spelling "sahishnuta" or "sadbhavna" or
any other useful Gandhian word that could be used
as a smoke-screen. Another word I am sure she can
spell is "balatkar" - rape - and she took great
exception to my using it while asking her about
what had happened to Muslim women in Gujarat.

"I would thank you not to use that word in my
presence!" she snapped at me."But, Anandibehn,
how can I not use it?" I asked, stunned yet again
at the sheer gall. "Because there have been no
rapes!"

"How can you say that?' I managed to get out.

"Because," said the lady, bringing her full
authority to bear, "I am the minister for the
welfare of women and children!"

Not being an Oriana Fallaci or a Jeremy Paxman, I
was, at this point, more or less robbed of
speech. The minister, however, continued: No
rapes, none; And if some girl had indeed
registered a case of rape then where was the
proof? Had any doctor said she was raped? And it
was nonsense that the police had not investigated
properly; a canard spread by a massive conspiracy
of the English media in the country; every single
English-language newspaper and TV channel in
cahoots to defame her honest government and her
brave leader Narendra bhai.

I tried to point out to Smt Patel that never
before, not even just after the Emergency, had
the Indian English-language media been so
completely of one voice about any issue. I tried
to put to her that even pro-BJP journalists in
Delhi were appalled by what had been carried out
in Gujarat. I tried to suggest that if there had
been even a sliver of doubt about the veracity of
the testimonies of planned murders, rapes and
precision-arson, someone, somewhere, in the
national media would have gone to town about it,
if only to be different, if only to increase
circulation or viewership. But Smt Patel was
having none of it: I am telling you it's all a
string of lies!

At the end of the interview I was left wondering
whether it was sheer arrogance or complete
head-in-the-sand panic that had been on display.
Whatever the case, it was only later I realized
that Anandi Patel's model was not so much Joseph
Goebbels as a more recent avatar. Remembering my
encounter in Gandhinagar, I suddenly saw Donald
Rumsfeld sitting there in a Gujarati-style sari,
firing questions that he wanted to answer: did we
protect the Muslims? Heck, you bet! Did Muslims
start the violence in each and every riot in
Gujarat since Independence? Too darn true, they
did! Are the pending accusations against our MLAs
and RSS-VHP members serious? Of course not,
they're irrelevant, what's important is that we
have arrested and jailed the perpetrators of the
Godhra outrage! And so on and so forth. In this
torrential question-plus-answer format, one of
the things Anandi Patel threw at me with great
vehemence was: why didn't the English media say
anything about the innocent dead in carriage S6?
Because they were Hindus, of course!

The difference between Gandhi and many social
activists working today is that, when faced with
Himalayan odds, MKG could fall back upon his
faith. Even as I returned to Delhi, still reeling
from the interview, the news broke that relatives
of the Godhra victims - those very Hindus that
Smt Patel was so concerned about - now wanted the
investigations carried out from outside Gujarat.
I am not much given to prayer, and my own faith
is something that fluctuates a fair bit, but
reading this bit of news I couldn't help
imagining that some unexplainable power was
beginning to get back to Anandibehn and her
Fuehrer-bhai and that maybe they would be forced
to remember Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi in a way
they hadn't planned.

The Statesman, November 30, 2003

Media, reality and virtual reality

  Sanjoy Hazarika

Travellers, journalists and professionals who
have been moving across Assam speak of the great
gaps in reporting between the metro media (read
in the notional "national" media there) and
events in the state. Thus, while it is a tragic
and ugly fact that Bihari and Hindi-speaking
individuals have been targeted, especially the
weakest and most vulnerable, what is not known is
that across the state, from Guwahati to the
troubled parts of Upper Assam, Assamese and other
groups have rallied to the support of their
neighbours, helped, housed, fed and protected
them.
Just as the photograph of the injured boy, his
body swathed in bandages and lying on a hospital
cot, touches (and also angers) us, so does the
picture of young children of different language
and ethnic groups, gathered together and smiling,
and helping to keep the peace. A journalist who
travelled to the Upper Assam side speaks of how
exaggerated reports have been filed by
journalists for the metro press out of Guwahati,
without visiting the sites or getting a sense of
the reality.
We must also note that a lot of the print media
tries to catch up with the visual media which
fattens itself on exaggeration and virtual
reality. The facts of the case in Assam are that
there are complex factors behind the violence,
not just one; there are a number of groups and
interests behind the trouble, not just one. And I
would draw the line at blaming outside elements
such as Bangladesh and the ubiquitous ISI (which
is blamed for every single problem in India that
it's surprising that we haven't gotten to the
stage of blaming it for the water and power
shortages in some parts of the country!). We have
to look within and examine the demons which exist
within our societies. The threat to India is much
more internal than external.
In addition, it should be stressed that although
the media has this habit of lumping issues and
problems together and thus creating a bigger
"impact" - press rivalry and competition is as
much responsible here as anything else - the
facts remain that apart from a few incidents,
most of the events in Assam were isolated and
sporadic. The impact was greater on the reading
and watching public because the events happened
around the same time, in the same general
geographical region - but the whole state was not
repeat not burning as in 1983 when thousands of
people, largely Bengali-speaking Muslim settlers,
were slaughtered.
Another reality that has not been extensively
spoken of or reported in these past days by the
metro media or by scholars, officials and others
outside of the North East is that local municipal
elections are on across Assam. Campaigning is
thundering forth in right earnest, with no
quarter given or asked. The elections are still
on, they haven't been postponed. So doesn't it
make sense to ask if the violence is aimed at
intimidating potential voters in staying away? I
don't know the answer to that question, I raise
it as a thought which occurred to me while
writing this column.

********
Whatever the faults of the media, it has always
been inconceivable to me how - whether in Gujarat
or elsewhere, especially parts of the strife-torn
North East where we proclaim our pride from the
rooftops about the traditional dignity and honour
accorded to women and families - children of
different ethnic, religious and language groups
become victims of violence. This shows that when
thugs and others take over a movement or an
issue, it is the innocent who suffers the most.
The saying, "When elephants fight, the grass gets
trampled" was never truer.
Thus, even in these difficult moments, we must
recognise the courage of those who have stood up
to violence. The Guwahati and Assam media has
been extremely restrained and thoughtful,
appealing for calm and deeply conscious of the
way in which this hurts the state's image. The
Bar Association and many other groups have spoken
out clearly and unambiguously against violence
and division based on parochial lines. The All
Assam Students Union, which along with other
groups called a bandh earlier this month (which
officials say enabled disparate armed groups and
gangs to take advantage of a temporary breakdown
in civil society), has clarified its position and
organised rallies and tried to play a role in
calming situations.
Through this column, I would like to appeal to
those with stories of such conviction and bravery
to send it to us so that we can show that there
is "another side" to the violence, a side not
known well enough and certainly not reported
extensively enough. The media has a duty to
reflect reality, challenge standard thinking and
disseminate information. On this page, we carry
an appeal for healing and dialogue from different
figures in Delhi, both well known and unknown.

********
Armed groups, from whichever ideological and
ethnic persuasion, would do well to understand
the public reprehension at the kind of violence
that has been witnessed and that any involvement
only diminishes what little support they were
enjoying. Support does not grow out of fear; it
develops from a shared commitment to a cause and
a vision of the future, as much as practical
realities of livelihoods and benefits.
It appears that after the organised armed groups
realised the public reaction against the killing
of innocents, some of the crimes were perpetrated
by local thugs and gangs, in a bid to settle old
scores perhaps. The district and state
administration must act unhesitatingly and firmly
in dealing with such elements. We should note
that in many districts of Assam, where there are
large mixed populations such as Kamrup, Darrang
and Jorhat, there has been little large-scale
violence. That shows the impact of effective
management of situations, although one would
still say that the state government failed to
anticipate the fallout of the Bihar violence and
the bandh.

THE INTERNATIONAL FORTNIGHT PROTESTING VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND GIRLS

  25th November -10th December [2003]

SANGAT AND JAGORI

Invite You For A
Screening of South Asian Films

At: India Habitat Center   (Casuarina Hall) [New Delhi]
Time: 6:30 pm

29th Nov 2003

Women  & War
Director:  Catherine & Tariq Masud,
Duration: 25 minutes
Country: Bangladesh

Bangladesh emerged as a nation state from the war of liberation in 1971.
The war witnessed many brutalities against the civilian population by
Pakistani army and their collaborators. While many of these stories have
been told repeatedly, the details of the stories of women in towns and
villages, from different communities, who suffered rape and fought back
  the violence of the military is now presented in this documentary,
perhaps for the first time.

&

29th Nov 2003

Yet Another Five
Director: Anoma Rajakaruna
Duration: 30 minutes
Country: Sri Lanka

  As the name suggests, "Yet Another Five" is a film that presents the
  stories of five individuals who suffer sexual abuse. It touches the
lives of people who have been the victims of rape, sexual abuse within
the family and outside and abuse within family and intimate
  relationships. The film also highlights the callous attitude of the
society unto the se brutalities and the mental torture women face as
consequence of this.

To celebrate South Asian Women's Day for Peace,
Justice, Human Rights and Democracy

30th November 2003

Autumn's Final Country
Director: Sonia Jabbar
Duration: 66 minutes
Country: India

Indu, Zarina, Shahnaz and Anju - four women who have suffered
displacement in the conflict-ridden state of Jammu and Kashmir. Recorded
   as testimonials, the film explores the lives of each woman as she
relates the circumstances leading to her rootlessness, and reveals an
  intimate dimension of the Kashmir conflict, raising questions about
patriarchal values and power, communal identities, patriotism and war.

GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION AGAINST CORPORATE CRIME

December 3, 2003: 19th Anniversary of Bhopal Gas Disaster

On the night of December 2nd-3rd 1984, 27 tons of
methyl isocyanate, hydrogen cyanide, mono-methyl
amine and other lethal gases began spewing from
Union Carbide Corporation's pesticide factory in
Bhopal. Severe cost-cutting meant that six safety
systems designed to contain a leak were
inadequate or in-operational. Nobody outside the
factory was warned because the safety siren was
turned off. Over half a million people were
exposed to the deadly cocktail. The gases burned
the tissues of the eyes and lungs, crossed into
the bloodstream and damaged almost every system
in the body. Nobody knows exactly how many died
but in the next days more than 7,000 death
shrouds were sold in Bhopal. With an estimated
10-15 people continuing to die each month the
number of deaths to date is put at over 20,000.
And today, more than 120,000 people are still in
need of urgent medical attention.
On the 19th anniversary of the Bhopal disaster,
the International Campaign for Justice in Bhopal
has declared December 3rd 2003 as the 'Global Day
of Action Against Corporate Crime'. "It is a time
for us to mourn for the dead but also to fight
for the living" Rashida Bee, President, Bhopal
Gas Affected Women Stationery Workers Association.

The Bhopal struggle epitomizes the worst abuses
of globalization and the challenges involved in
holding corporations accountable. Justice for
Bhopal would set a towering precedent in
international law that no corporate criminal
could ignore. And for this reason, Bhopal is
everybody's business.
To mark this important day, INTERDOC, Paryavaran
Suraksha Samiti and Documentation And Study
Centre for and Action is organizing a screening
of the film Bhopal Express. A powerful film
directed by Mahesh Mathai, featuring Naseeruddin
Shah and Zeenat Aman, the tragedy is revealed
through the experiences of newlyweds Verma (Kay
Kay), a foreman at the Carbide plant, his wife
Tara (Nethra Raghuraman) and their friend Bashir
(Shah). The Screening will be followed by a panel
discussion.

Film: Bhopal Express;
Featuring: Naseeruddin Shah, Zeenat Aman, Kay Kay, Nethra Raghuraman
Venue: Auditorium, History Department, M S University [Baroda]
Date: 3rd December 2003, Time: 3-6 pm.

For more detail, you can contact Paryavaran Suraksha Samiti,
Rohit Prajapati on Phone No: 0265-2320399
Madhumita Dutta on Phone No: 9898253486

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web http://www.sacw.net/ .
The complete SACW archive is available at:
http://bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/

South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative, provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/