SACW | 5 Nov. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Tue Nov 4 21:54:43 CST 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  5 November,  2003

Notice:
The new redesigned South Asia Citizens Web web site is now
definitively located at http://www.sacw.net/
The earlier URL for the South Asia Citizens Web web site
<www.mnet.fr/aiindex> is no longer valid; Google cache may be used to
trace pages held at the old location.

_______

[1] The political economy of Bangladesh's external relations (Rehman Sobhan)
[2] Pakistan: Violent students attack 'un-Islamic' varsity show
[3] Indian Elite In Mammon's Grip - The Greed Creed's high costs
(Praful Bidwai)
[4] India: BJP's Hindu nationalism thwarted in Rajasthan (Edward Luce)
[5] India: Poison myths - There's no correlation between religion and
population growth (Anil Chamadia And Subhash Gatade)
[6] India: RSS appropriates credit for the liberation of Goa.
(Prabhakar Sinari)
[7] India: Killers of Safdar Hashmir Convicted
- Hashmi wheel turns, 14 years on
- Judge to pronounce sentence today in Safdar Hashmi murder case
[8] Announcing: International South Asia Forum Bulletin [19], November 1, 2003

--------------

[1]

The Daily Star, November 4, 2003

The political economy of Bangladesh's external relations

Rehman Sobhan

Within a unipolar world Bangladesh's foreign policy options have
become increasingly constrained. This is not a new phenomenon since
our options have been limited over many years by our dependence on
aid. However, the nature of this dependence has in recent years
changed from aid to trade. This may appear a positive development but
it has imposed no less severe fetters on our external choices. We
always recognised that our aid relations were driven by political
factors. I wrote a book on the Crisis of External Dependence: The
Political Economy of Foreign Aid to Bangladesh as far back as 1982.
However, in today's world our trade relations are no less exposed to
political influences so we need to understand the underlying
political economy driving our external relations.

The changing dynamics of aid dependence

In 1980s Bangladesh's aid dependence was over 10 per cent of GDP and
financed nearly 100 per cent of our Annual Development Plan (ADP).
This meant that no Finance Minister could frame a budget without
first being assured of aid pledged at the Paris Consortium meeting in
April. This dependence on donors gave them a disproportionate
leverage over our policies. The World Bank, in particular, used this
leverage to impose an extensive programme of Structural Adjustment
Reforms (SAR) on the Government of Bangladesh (GOB), based on the
neo-liberal economic philosophy associated with the so called
Washington Consensus. Bangladesh, readily accepted this advice though
many of these reforms were unsatisfactorily implemented. This raised
tensions with the donors but did not lead to any discontinuity in
aid. The donors and successive governments played a discrete game
where Bangladesh accepted and promised to implement all reforms
whilst the donors turned a blind eye on our failure to do so. The era
of aid dependence built up its own class of beneficiaries who
prospered from aid and acquired a vested interest in its continuity.
Aid dependence, thus, generated its own dynamics which influenced the
political behaviour of successive regimes and the workings of the
administrative as well as the business community. The SAR process
impacted on the political economy of Bangladesh where new social
forces were financially and politically empowered whilst large
numbers of people, from desubsidised poor farmers to disemployed
factory workers, became its victims.

The unsatisfactory and often unjust outcome from the SAR did not
persuade donors to rethink their reforms. Rather it pushed them to
increase the burden of reforms. The poor results from the reforms
were now ascribed to poor governance. Thus, issues of governance,
covering corruption, the judiciary, even the state of democracy were
added to the ongoing need for structural adjustment reforms. In this
new phase poverty reduction was prioritized over growth by both the
World Bank and the IMF. The GOB was invited to prepare a Poverty
Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP) which was presented to the donors at
the recent Aid Group meeting in Dhaka.

This rethinking of aid priorities by the donors did not extend to
greater introspection over the impact which such aid dependence,
which was dictating our policy choices, was having on the political
economy of Bangladesh or other aid dependent countries.

I was, in the early 1990s, invited by SIDA, the Swedish Aid agency,
to visit Tanzania to examine the consequences of their growing aid
dependence and compare this with Bangladesh's experience. It was
quite educational to see that many of the consequences of aid
dependence which had affected Bangladesh were being replicated in
Tanzania. I subsequently wrote a book on this subject. The pathology
of aid dependence obviously transcends national boundaries and even
cultures.

This policy influence of the donors over the GOB persists today, even
though aid dependence has declined from over 10 per cent of GDP when
Mr M Saifur Rahman was first Finance Minister in 1981 to under 3 per
cent when he has become Finance Minister for the third time. However,
we still seem to give the same regard to donor advice as we did when
we were heavily aid dependent. Today, aid finances less than 50 per
cent of the ADP so we are no longer totally dependent on aid to frame
our budget. Nor are the donors regarded as the universal font of all
wisdom. The Washington Consensus is heavily discredited whilst
Structural Adjustment Reforms are seen to have brought neither
sustained growth nor poverty reduction across much of the Third
World. The increasing ferocity of the attacks on the global
institutions such as World Bank, IMF and WTO, both on the streets and
at a professional level, suggests that these organisations no longer
command the credibility or authority they enjoyed in their golden age
of the 1980's. In these changed circumstances there is scope for
Bangladesh to forge an entirely new pattern of relations with its aid
donors.

The GOB cannot begin to develop a more equal relation with its donors
unless it is able to get its own house in order and design its own
policy agenda. The donors themselves, in principle, encourage
governments to make their own policy choices. However, the available
experience suggests that the exercise of such policy independence by
aid recipients is only welcome if countries such as Bangladesh choose
policies which concur with donor policy advise. Thus even after 20
years of unfruitful Structural Adjustment Reforms (SAR) few Third
World governments have challenged the assumptions underlying the SAR.
As a result even today the SAR remains at the core of the World
Bank's Country Assistance Strategy to Bangladesh as also for most
LDCs and has been incorporated into the PRSPs of virtually all these
aid dependent countries.

Aid and foreign policy

Aid dependence under the tutelage of the World Bank should not have
impacted on Bangladesh's foreign policy in the same way as it did on
our economic policies. After all the World Bank is a multilateral
organisation, which is supposed on have neither an ideology nor a
political position. It was therefore noteworthy that a changed stance
in the World Bank's lending philosophy in the early 1980s to push SAR
coincided with an ideological change in the policy regimes of the US
after President Reagan came into office in the US and Margarat
Thacher became Prime Minister in the UK. These two leaders may be
deemed as the political god-parents of the neo-liberal revolution
across the world. The messianic commitment to a neo-liberal
philosophy within the World Bank and IMF originates from this period.

The embrace by the World Bank and IMF of the political philosophy of
some of its principal financiers encouraged the belief that what
Washington thinks today the World Bank thinks tomorrow. As a result,
successive governments in Bangladesh have come to believe that the
World Bank and IMF are extensions of the US States Department and
Treasury. This view gained currency when the United State intervened
time and again on the Board of the World Bank and IMF to pressure
them to participate in the bail out of strategically important
countries such as Mexico, Russia and other victims of rapid
globalisation deemed of strategic interest to the G-7 countries.
Acceptance of Bank-IMF advice was thus believed by the policymakers
of Bangladesh to have some approbation from the United States and
even the European Union whose goodwill remained of importance to the
GOB.

The US, which was once Bangladesh's principal donor through the 1960s
and 70s is not even our principal bilateral donor, which today
happens to be Japan. The GOB is however persuaded to believe that
Bank/IMF largesse is contingent on good relations with the US
government. This assumption is not entirely a fantasy. The Pakistanis
have already noted that their alignment with US strategic interests
in Afghanistan and provision of logistical support to the US invasion
of Afghanistan won them significant collateral benefits from the IMF.
The IMF, reaffirmed its credentials as a foreign policy instrument of
the State Department by assuming a much more favourable perspective
on Pakistan's policy reforms compared to the hard line taken prior to
the change in Pakistan's external posture. The World Bank too has
become much less jaundiced in their perception of Pakistan. The US
has backed up the IMF's generous loans by enhancing their own
bilateral aid commitments to Pakistan and rescheduling Pakistan's
debts. The lesson from the recent experience of Pakistan suggests
that aid commitments as well as their terms, even from multilateral
bodies such as the World Bank and IMF, remain linked to foreign
policy alignments with a superpower even where countries such
Bangladesh and Pakistan remain far less dependent on aid.

The political economy of trade dependence

This paradox of genuflecting to aid donors, even as aid dependence
declines, may be linked to the new trade dependence which is
influencing the external relations of Bangladesh and many other Third
World countries. In the case of Bangladesh the US remains our largest
single market, absorbing around 40 per cent of our exports, mostly in
the form of Readymade Garments (RMG). The EU accounts for a further
40 per cent of our exports. Since Bangladesh's exports along with
remittances currently finance over 80 per cent of our foreign
exchange expenditures, our trade relations have a much stronger
impact on our economy than does aid. Access to the US and EU market
and the continuance of the absorption of our migrant labour in the
Middle East, as also in East Asia and the United States, remains an
important foreign policy objective for Bangladesh. As a result, RMG
exports to the US and EU have acquired a special significance in our
foreign policy choices.

At the same time we should also take note of the fact that India is
the fastest growing and today the largest source of Bangladesh's
imports (official and unofficial), closely followed by China. Whilst
this growing import dependence on our two large neighbours is less
concentrated than our export dependence and there is greater scope
for diversifying our import sources than there is for exports, our
import trends also remain relevant to the political economy of our
external relations. Bangladesh's ongoing search for greater access to
the Indian market is therefore not just an issue of commercial
relations. The political economy of Indo-Bangladesh relations has its
own special features which merits separate discussion.

What we are learning to our cost is that, as with aid, trade is also
politicised. Once upon a time we were led to believe that trade
relations were forged in the market place. Our own experience, as
indeed our experience at the WTO jamborees in Doha and Cancun, have
exposed us to the importance of political variables in determining
trade relations. The notion of the WTO taking us towards a
rule-based, market-driven, global trading regime has proved a fantasy
as the major powers and even regional powers are increasingly
responding to political stimuli to both deny and provide access to
their markets.

The US, in particular, has discovered the strategic significance of
its market since it presides over the world's largest market. The
terms and conditions on which Bangladesh accesses this market can
influence our economic fortunes as a country and can impact on the
lives of a million poor families. If the US were to reduce our RMG
export quota and continues to give trade preferences to our
prospective rivals, as it has done to Sub-Saharan and the Caribbean
countries, this could impose severe economic as well as social costs
on Bangladesh which in turn could have a political fallout at home.
If the US were today to give us duty and quota free access to their
market, as they have done for Sub-Saharan Africa, this could possibly
double our exports of RMG and provide additional jobs to a million
poor women. Given the far reaching implications of its policy
decisions, the US may expect to extract a significant political rent
from Bangladesh for the privilege of providing enhanced market
access. This rent may range from a demand that we let UNOCOL export
the gas from its Bibiana fields to India, we send peace keeping
troops to Iraq, we recognise Israel or we even abandon our commitment
to the LDCs in regard to sensitive global issues such as agricultural
subsidies and the so called Singapore issues. All such decisions
involve serious political consequences for Bangladesh at home and in
our relations with neighbouring or partner countries. Fortunately for
Bangladesh, the US is not yet ready to recognise Bangladesh as a
strategic partner with whom such political horse trading can be
negotiated. But this day may not be far off and Bangladesh may well
have its notions of foreign policy independence severely tested in
the days ahead.

Asserting autonomy over foreign policy

The scope for countries such as Bangladesh's escaping from such
strategic pressures exercised by its principal trading partners is
limited. Such demonstrations of autonomy have not come easily even to
big countries such as China and India. Even China has to calibrate
its external relations with the US to take account of the fact that
it provides the destination for over US$ 100 billion of Chinese
exports. It is not surprising that even where China has strong
disagreements with the US in the Security Council they have never
exercised their veto to frustrate the strategic decisions of the US.
China too has had to become aware of the political economy of its
relations with the US.

In such an unequal world order countries such as Bangladesh have to
rethink their notions of sovereignty and reassess their domestic
policy options to see how far they can assume greater autonomy in
their external relations. To be able to enhance our freedom of
choice, we need to commit ourselves to a process of structural change
not just in our economy but our politics. We would, thus, have to
drastically diversify the composition and destination of our exports,
enhance our domestic savings and significantly improve the quality of
our policy making and governance. This will have significant social
and political implications within Bangladesh.

To initiate all of the above changes and to then demonstrate policy
independence vis-a-vis the US and other major trading partners would
demand the building of a strong political consensus within Bangladesh
underwritten by massive support from the common people. To develop
such support will require a major structural adjustment in our
politics as well as in the direction of our economy. We will have to
begin to correct the deep injustices of our social orders so that
ordinary people develop a stake in the growth of the economy. Only
then will they provide the political support needed to assert
autonomy in our external relations and to bear the short term costs
of our search for policy change. Bangladesh will have many rivers to
cross before we move from our state of political atrophy and
structural stagnation to assume the trapping of a sovereign nation
state.

Rehman Sobhan is Chairman, Centre for Policy Dialogue.

The Daily Times
November 05, 2003

Violent students attack 'un-Islamic' varsity show

KARACHI: Arguing that display of "obscene" material and listening to
music were against the teachings of Islam, a group of enraged
students on Tuesday ransacked the Department of Visual Studies of the
University of Karachi, destroying musical instruments, sculptures and
paintings,
They said the practices were particularly offensive in the holy month
of Ramazan.
The department was holding its "Degree Show 2003," its first-ever
such event, displaying projects prepared by final year students. The
projects include several graphical illustrations combined with music,
a documentary on eunuchs and some paintings, posters and sculptures.
The show was attacked after some students declared the exhibition a
"display of obscene and objectionable material" in Ramazan. Personal
computers were among the other things destroyed. According to some
students, playing music and bringing musical instruments inside the
university was strictly prohibited in accordance with the university
notification. They said if the university administration was not
willing to ban such activities, it was the right of the students to
stop by force any activity which was against the teachings of Islam.
The chairperson, of the Department of Visual Studies, Dr Duriya Qazi,
denied there was a display of obscene or objectionable material on
the occasion.
"We hold such exhibitions and shows to attract employees and people
associated with the fine arts to increase job prospects for our
students." Admitting that music was being played at the department,
Dr Qazi said nobody approached her or any of the department's other
faculty members to express disapproval or reservations regarding the
show. Later, a team of university officials, including the advisor on
students' affairs and campus security officer visited the Department
of Visual Studies, asked details of the incident and assured teachers
and students about the provision of security. -Staff Report

The Praful Bidwai Column
November 3, 2003

Indian Elite In Mammon's Grip
The Greed Creed's high costs
By Praful Bidwai

As we recover from another Diwali--and another high-decibel assault
on our senses, which sent urban pollution indices spinning to levels
several times higher than the permissible limits--, it's time to
pause and reflect on the explosive growth of consumer spending and
the aggressive culture of consumerism in India. Consumer spending has
reached wholly unprecedented proportions. Most of our cities
witnessed ugly traffic jams during last fortnight's frenzied Diwali
shopping. As insatiable bands of people indulged themselves in a
furious festival of consumption, the Deepawali-related buying spree
spread to the South too, where the festival has been traditionally
unimportant, unlike in the North. In city after city, there were gold
festivals, diamond sales, and fairs and bazaars to sell pricey cars,
especially SUVs (sport-utility vehicles). In this "festival season",
stores could sell just almost anything to upper-income buyers with
their infinitely flexible budgets.

At the centre of this consumerism is the metropolitan upper class,
which comprises about 6 percent of the urban population, according to
the National Council of Applied Economic Research, with annual
incomes upwards of Rs. 105,000 per household. This class has never
had it so good. Over the past decade, the number of double-income
families in its ranks has grown hugely. It now stands at 13 percent
of the total and is estimated to rise to 35 percent within eight
years. Second, the disposable income of this group has doubled or
trebled, partly due to the emergence of high-salary islands in the
service sector, such as information technology, call centres, fabric
design, banking and telecommunications.

And third, thanks to trade liberalisation and the free import of
luxury goods, there is so much more to buy--from chocolates to
footwear (e.g. LVMH shoes costing Rs. 35,000), lingerie to cosmetics,
and kitchen gadgets to cars. Such a bewildering variety of gleaming
goods has never before been available to the Indian consumer.

No wonder, consumer spending rose between 2001 and 2002 by an
astounding 130 percent in respect of gifts, 116 percent on
entertainment parks, 108 percent on mobile phones and 68 percent on
movies and theatre. The Indian consumer spent 58 percent more on
clothing, 55 percent more on eating and 22 percent on vacations--in a
single year. This year, says consumer survey agency KSA Technopak, 42
percent of those questioned intend to spend even more. The most
visible expression of the new tawdry consumerism is to be found in
glitzy chrome-and-glass, air-conditioned shopping malls, with
boutiques, restaurants, discos, bars and cinema theatres all rolled
into one complex. Some 240 mega-malls are under construction in the
country, in addition to the existing 20-odd. In Mumbai alone, 22 will
open by the end of the year. And in Gurgaon, Delhi's super-rich
suburb--it's so rich it has no shanties and jhuggis--there are 21
malls under construction, in addition to the huge ones that produce
traffic jams every evening.

The fourth--and most important--ingredient of the new consumerism is
the change in the values and attitudes of the elite, which has
embraced hedonism, or the pursuit of pleasure, with singular zeal and
dedication. The underlying philosophy is that pleasure is the
greatest good, and the highest form of pleasure is found in consuming
more--what I first called Acquisitive Hedonism 15 years ago. India's
upper class is now firmly in the grip of this hedonism. Thus, many
international brands like Christiane Dior, Chanel and Hugo Boss
expect their Indian sales to grow by 40 percent or more a year! There
are many rich Indians who are willing to buy an Omega watch for Rs.
1.5 lakhs, a Cartier ring for Rs. 5 lakhs or a designer dress for Rs.
65,000.

A striking feature of the consumer boom is its extremely uneven
distribution as regards goods and income-classes. Thus, sales of
air-conditioners, mid-sized cars (which, unlike a decade ago, lead
the automobile boom today), colour television sets, washing machines,
etc., are rising at 20 percent or more, whereas sales of
mass-consumption items like textiles and footwear are relatively
stagnant. This is explained in part by the decade-long lowering of
duties and taxes on luxury goods, and in part by easy retail credit,
which has expanded 35-fold in just two years! In other words, people
are borrowing to spend more. When they use a credit card, they often
pay an interest rate of 36 percent!

Even more skewed is income-class distribution. The top 5 percent of
the population accounts for 30 to 35 percent of total consumer
spending. The bottom three-fourths spend about the same total amount
as them. This is a case of a privileged group building upon its
privileges--thus increasing its distance from the bulk of the
population. Such disparities are grotesque, indeed obscene, and
socially disruptive and disastrous. The mass of the population is
being left behind by a tiny minority of successful people who started
with an unfair advantage of birth and hence opportunity in the first
place. This is the greatest downside of the new consumerism.  It's
not the only one.

However, some conservatives see absolute virtue in this consumerism.
They argue that greater spending even by a small minority will lead
to greater overall GDP growth--which will eventually trickle down at
least to the lower middle class. So we should not complain too much
about inequalities. This view is profoundly mistaken. Spending by
itself does not bring about growth. Equally necessary is saving and
investment. Thus, a striking feature of the Asian Tiger
economies--the only ones to go up the development ladder over the
last quarters-century--is their high savings, of the order of 25 to
35 percent of GDP.

In India, the elite is too small to pull the majority upwards. The
top 10 percent can prosper without affecting the bulk of the people.
Besides, experience everywhere shows there is no trickle-down;
rather, there's trickle-up, even flood-up. Growth alone cannot
eradicate poverty: you need public action--investment in people who
had no social opportunity because they were born underprivileged.

That's not all. The negative consequences of the present worship of
Mammon are repulsive. Consider just these. The Greed Creed is a form
of aggressive behaviour against the rest of the community. People are
driven to consume not because consumption is some basic need, but
because it is a socially constructed drive fuelled by ostentation and
exhibitionism. You show yourself off to make others feel small. Human
beings have to be persuaded to consume--through advertising, sales
promotion and marketing. As Nom Chomsky argues, some $2 trillion, or
five times India's entire GDP, is spent annually to advertise and
sell products in the United States. Often, the persuasion is subtle
and the persuader hidden. Thus, hundreds of millions of people became
smokers--and victims of cancer and other diseases--over three or four
generations, because they were made to believe that smoking is
"lifestyle-related", and has to do with "freedom", glamour, with
being modern, liberated, "confident".

We have celebrated Dussehra, Diwali, Eid and Christmas for hundreds
of years. But it's only in the last 10 to 20 years that these have
become mammoth shopping festivals, as have Valentine's Day, Mother's
Day, or Karwa Chauth. We are being made to believe that the festival
spirit lies in revelry, and that means shopping, buying, acquiring,
accumulating. At the base of this elite consumerism is utter
insensitivity to a majority of our people, a celebration of
privilege, an in-your-face kind of superciliousness. This can only
further strengthen elite arrogance and reinforce hierarchies in this
horrendously unequal society where the majority lacks the necessities
of civilised life: half the people are illiterate, 70 percent don't
even have bathrooms, only about a fifth have concrete roofs over
their heads.

Rampant consumerism leads people to commit unspeakably brutal and
evil acts: from bride-burning for dowry to female foeticide. The
connection between consumerist aspirations and "dowry deaths"
(rather, murder) is well established. This unacceptable perversion is
now spreading to the lower middle classes and the poor. Again, the
latest Census figures show that the practice of female foeticide is
particularly strong among the most affluent classes. It is the
richest localities of South Delhi and Mumbai that have the lowest
sex-ratios in the 0-6 age-group. The case of a woman doctor who died
after being forced to go through eight abortions because the foetus
was female in each instance should be an eye-opener to all.

Consumerism's environmental costs are equally onerous. Imagine the
consequences of a runaway increase in the growth of air-conditioners
and automobiles, with their huge contributions to greenhouse gas
emissions, waste and pollution. The country is already drowning
itself in a sea of plastic waste. Matters will become much worse
under unbridled consumerism. The Greed Creed may satisfy the lust and
self-indulgence of a small minority. But it will visit untold
devastation upon this society. Gandhi did not exaggerate when he said
there is enough in the world for everyone's need, but not for a
single person's greed. Responsible citizenship means prudence,
equality, austerity and placing limits upon greed and avarice in the
universal interest.-end--

Financial Times, November 4 2003

BJP's Hindu nationalism thwarted in Rajasthan
By Edward Luce

Normally one can seeplenty of clearwater betweenthe policies of
India's ruling Hindu nationalist BJP and the country's main
opposition - and secular - Congress party. But in Rajasthan, one of
India's poorest states, voters are having a hard time distinguishing
between the two.

The state, which along with three others goes to the polls on
December 1 in what has been billed as a dress rehearsal for national
elections in 2004, has been ruled by Congress for the last five years
under the widely respected leadership of Ashok Gehlot, its chief
minister.

But unlike in neighbouring Gujarat, where the state's BJP government
won a landslide victory last December following an overtly
anti-Muslim campaign, Mr Gehlot's opponents in the Rajasthan BJP are
finding it hard to rouse the electorate.

In Gujarat, anti-Muslim riots last year claimed up to 2,000 lives
following an arson attack on a train in which 58 Hindus were killed.
In contrast Rajasthan, where Muslims make up 8 per cent of the 50m
population, has a relatively good record of communal harmony.

"There is very little communal sentiment in Rajasthan," says Ganshyam
Tiwari, vice-president of the state BJP. "Instead the electorate is
preoccupied with questions like power supply and drought relief."

Indeed, this overwhelmingly rural desert state has just emerged from
four years of drought -its worst in living memory. Much to the relief
of Mr Gehlot, who won plaudits for providing effective food-for-work
programmes during the crisis years, this year's monsoon has been
bountiful. "The rain gods have finally decided to be kind to Mr
Gehlot," said one Congress party worker in Jaipur, Rajasthan's
capital. "This has deprived the BJP of their biggest psychological
weapon."

Mr Gehlot, whose BJP opponent, Vasundhara Raje, is a princess from
the royal family of Gwalior and has far greater star quality than the
chief minister, has taken pains to deprive the BJP of its other key
trump card: communal sentiment.

Earlier this year, Mr Gehlot ordered the imprisonment of Praveen
Togadia, one of India's most hardline Hindu nationalist agitators. Mr
Togadia, who is alleged to have played a key role in the Gujarat
riots, was travelling through Rajasthan on a speaking campaign seen
as blatantly provocative.

Since his release from jail, Mr Togadia and most of his colleagues
have avoided travelling through Rajasthan. "Mr Gehlot won enormous
respect by taking such a tough line on Hindu nationalism," said K.L.
Kamal, former vice-chancellor of Rajasthan University. "He has
demonstrated that the best way to deal with these people is with the
stick."

Partly as a result, the BJP is running a low-key campaign in which
the caste identity of its candidates appears to be more important
than the policies they espouse. Much the same can be said of the
Congress election strategy.

Both parties, for example, are promising to expand India's extensive
system for reserving public sector jobs to include the poor or
"economically backward" members of the upper castes. India's quota
system, which accounts for 50 per cent of government jobs, is meant
exclusively for lower castes, or the "socially excluded".

But whichever party wins - recent opinion polls suggest Congress has
the edge - it seems likely the next administration will push for the
public sector quota to rise to 65 per cent of all state jobs. Those
already in despair about the state government's low productivity will
have more to complain about after the polls.

"We are living in an era where caste identity is dominating politics
in India," said Gulab Kataria, leader of the Rajasthan BJP in the
state assembly. "To be honest, both my party and Congress are
choosing far too many candidates on the basis of their caste and not
on their merit as individuals. It augurs badly for the future of
politics."

Girija Vyas, president of Congress in Rajasthan, admits to much the
same pressures. Her office in Jaipur throngs with hopeful candidates
keen to secure a Congress ticket for the elections. Ms Vyas, a former
professor of philosophy at the University of Chicago, says about half
of all seats will be allocated on the basis of caste since there are
constituencies where one caste or another is preponderant.

"It is quite a demoralising process but that is what the electorate
responds to nowadays," she says. "If you ignore caste then you ignore
the electorate and you end up losing the election."

Such politics can wreak havoc with sensible governance. But it also
has unexpected side-effects.

"We will be fielding at least five Muslim candidates," says Mr Tiwari
of the BJP. "We have to tailor our strategy to each constituency."

The Indian Express
November 05, 2003

Poison myths
There's no correlation between religion and population growth
ANIL CHAMADIA AND SUBHASH GATADE

The Hindutva Right sermonises to the minorities. It also propagates
myths. The alleged link between religion and population growth is one
such myth that has gained credence of late.

The latest revelation that the population growth rate in Nepal, the
world's only Hindu rashtra, at 2.1, is more than that of Islamic
Bangladesh (2 per cent) should put such myth-makers on the defensive.
It may also shock them to know that the growth rate of Hindus in J&K
is twice that of the Muslims there. But, sadly, the Sangh Parivar
continues to flog its stereotypes. BJP General Secretary Mukhtar
Abbas Naqvi, addressing a recent meeting of the party's minority
cell, gave Muslims the unsolicited advice that they should adopt
birth control measures urgently if they do not want to be left behind.

But what does the data reveal? It shows that the growth rate for
different minorities remains almost the same. According to 1961
figures, Muslims were 10.7 per cent of the then population,
Christians were 2.4 per cent, Sikhs were 1.8 per cent and Jain and
Buddhists were 0.5 per cent and 0.7 per cent respectively. The 1991
figures corresponding to these different communities were 11.67 per
cent, 2.32 per cent, 1.99 per cent, 0.41 per cent and 0.77 per cent
respectively. If one compares the growth rate of Hindus and Muslims
then, one would find that in the year 1971 Hindus comprised 82.7 per
cent of the population whereas Muslims were 11.2 per cent and the
figures reached 82.6 per cent and 11.4 per cent, respectively, in the
year 1991.

A comparison of growth rates reveals that while the population of
Hindus increased from 23.71 to 24.42 during the year 1961-71 and
1971-1981 the respective figures for Muslims were 30.85 and 30.20
respectively. This means that the population of Muslims actually
decreased as compared to Hindus. It is also incorrect to say that
Muslims abstain from family planning. A report published by the
Baroda-based Operations Research Group in 1981 found that the rates
of contraceptive use between Hindus and Muslims were comparable.

The "Hum paanch, unke pachees" mythology also talks of polygamy among
Muslims. First, think of the practicality of such a situation.
Suppose every person in a particular community marries four wives,
will there be an enough number of women for everyone? Clearly not.
Coming to specifics, data shows that polygamous relations are more
prevalent in communities other than Muslims. A recent survey in eight
blocks of a Muslim majority area in Ahmedabad revealed that only two
people had four wives, two other people had three wives and 279
people had two wives. As opposed to this there were 20,950 cases of
"Maitri Karar" (friendship agreement) registered by Hindus with the
collector in this single district. This is a term specific to Gujarat
and is essentially a method to bypass the stringent provisions of the
Hindu Marriage Act and enter into an "undeclared second marriage".

It needs to be understood, then, that there is no correlation between
the rate of growth of population and religion. Population growth
rates are influenced by socio-economic and cultural factors.

The Indian Express
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=34620

A liberation from lies

In a bid to rewrite history, the RSS appropriates credit for the
liberation of Goa. But its role in the state's freedom struggle was
only marginal

PRABHAKAR SINARI

A systematic campaign is underway to distort and rewrite the history
of Goa's freedom movement. The RSS is trying to take belated credit
for a struggle in which its role was, at best, marginal. This is
being done with the patronage of the BJP-led governments in Delhi and
Panaji. This 'spin' cannot go unchallenged.

The campaign began in 2001, with the Centre flouting rules to bring
115 RSS men under the Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension scheme. They
were said to have liberated Dadra and Nagar Haveli, when historical
records show underground groups from Goa and locals did so.

Yet Home Minister L.K. Advani and Petroleum Minister Ram Naik
presided over a function at Pune on December 10, 2001, where it was
projected that the 115 RSS beneficiaries were the only liberators of
Dadra and Nagar Haveli. The fighters from Goa and Daman who captured
larger Portuguese forces were ignored.

The honouring of these RSS workers contradicted the Indian
government's affidavit in the International Court of Justice, the
Hague, that no 'Indian nationals'  were involved in the Dadra and
Nagar Haveli operation and that it was entirely an internal uprising
against the Portuguese.

As a direct participant, I can say that Goans and Damanians, under
the banner of the United Front of Goans, Azad Gomantak Dal (AGD) and
Goan People's Party accomplished the mission.

Dadra was liberated on the night of July 21, 1954, by a group led by
Francis Mascarenhas, Woman Sardesai and 10 others (none from the
RSS). Thereafter, the process of liberating Nagar Haveli began, under
the aegis of the Azad Gomantak Dal. I was part of that team.

We attacked the police post and the taluka headquarter on the night
of July 28. We had 10 RSS volunteers with us. The AGD had worked out
a clear understanding that the volunteers were participating as
individuals and not RSS members.

We captured Naroli, Pimparia Post and then Silvassa. We learnt the
administrator, Captain Virgilio Fidalgo and Lieutenant Falcao and
Chefe Pegao had moved to Khandvel, on the southern side of Nagar
Haveli, with a force of 150. While retreating to Khandvel, they were
forced to halt at Rakholi for the night of August 2, since the
Damanganga river was in spate. When the rains did not subside the
next morning, they crossed all the same.

The Portuguese set up rearguard defences on the other bank, while we
were faced with the flooded Damanganga. I formed a unit of eight Goan
volunteers and two from Daman. Early on August 10, with the help of a
local ferryman, we crossed the furiously swirling waters, two at a
time.

By noon we arrived at the outskirts of Khandvel. Though moving under
cover of bushes, we knew we were being monitored. So we were not
surprised when a hail of bullets greeted us. One group under the
leadership of Prabhakar Vaidya charged the enemy positions on the
left flank. I headed for the police post.

When I saw Sub-Chefe Pereira firing at us, I took cover. At the
appropriate moment, I pounced on him and snatched his stengun. He
begged for his life. I stuck the stengun in Pereira's back and got
him to order his soldiers to lay down their arms. It took us two
hours to disarm around 80 members of the Portuguese force. Most of
them were drunk, demoralised and mortally afraid.

Sub-Chefe Pereira was holding up the rear, while his seniors led by
Captain Fidalgo, Lieutenant Falcao and Chefe Pegao were on the run,
hoping to sneak into Daman. When they learnt of Khandvel's fall, they
preferred to surrender to Indian authorities. Thus Dadra and Nagar
Haveli were liberated.

There was not a single RSS volunteer with the United Front of Goans
or the Goan People's Party. It's only the AGD that used their
services. The number of such RSS volunteers would have been 40-45. Of
these about 15, mostly from Talegaon arrived at Silvassa on August 3,
1954, after its liberation. They dragged out the priest of Silvassa
church, disgracing the movement.

Morarji Desai, then chief minister of Bombay state, sent John Lobo,
then deputy commissioner of police, to Silvassa. On his report, most
of the RSS volunteers were removed from Nagar Haveli. Now it's Goa's
turn to face the RSS spin. It is learnt the Centre has decided to
sanction the Samman Pension 4,000 persons from Maharashtra and
another 6,000 from other states. The logic: they had offered
satyagraha in Goa, 1954-55.

The reality is these 10,000 people were never actually able to
participate in satyagraha in Goa. A few who could, like N.G. Gore and
Shirubhau Limaye, are already recipients of pensions. The bulk of the
satyagrahis could not even reach Goa's borders because of a Bombay
government ban.

The Centre can at best give these people a special certificate, not
push them into the lifelong Swatantrata Samman Scheme. That would
bring a bad name to the entire liberation movement. Some 1,500 local
Goan freedom fighters are being equated with 10,000 or even more from
outside.

(The author took part in the liberation of Goa. He later joined the IPS)

The Telegraph
November 05, 2003

Hashmi wheel turns, 14 years on

OUR SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

Safdar Hashmi
New Delhi, Nov. 4: More than 14 years after theatre activist Safdar
Hashmi was murdered, a Ghaziabad court has convicted the 12 accused.

Mukesh Sharma, Devi Saran Sharma, Jitendra, Ramautar, Ramesh, Karan
Singh, Vinod Singh, Suresh, Yunus Ali and Tahir were found guilty of
murdering Hashmi in January 1989.

The others convicted, Rakhi Ram and Surjit Singh Nagar, died while
the trial was on.

Arguments on the sentence will be heard tomorrow.

Hashmi, a CPM member, was assaulted on January 1 while performing a
street play, Halla Bol, near Ambedkar Park in Ghaziabad before a big
audience as part of a municipal election campaign.

The play, organised under the banner of the Jan Natya Manch, was
aimed at attracting voters for Ramanand Jha, who was Mukesh's rival
for the mayor's post, Ghaziabad police had said. Jha was a candidate
of the Centre of Indian Trade Unions (Citu).

Around 11 am, Mukesh, the Congress candidate, arrived at the play
venue in Jhandapur village leading an election procession. He asked
the performers to make way for them to pass through.

Jha and Hashmi requested Mukesh to wait till the play was over or
take another route, police had said. Mukesh retreated, only to return
with 11 others, armed with lathis, iron rods and other weapons.

Both the performers and the audience were assaulted and pelted with
stones, seriously injuring Hashmi, Jha, Chandra Dhan Rai, Yadumani
Vohra and Pandit Singh.

Hashmi, Jha and the others ran for cover, police said. Mukesh chased
Hashmi and Vohra and thrashed them in the local Citu office where
they had ducked for cover.

Jha, who ran into the house of Ram Bahadur, was beaten there.
According to the police, the mob shot Bahadur dead.

Hashmi was first rushed to Narendra Mohan Hospital in Ghaziabad, from
where he was shifted to Irwin Hospital in Delhi. He died there the
next day.

Additional district and sessions judge Chandra Deo Rai yesterday
convicted the accused under the Indian Penal Code of murder (Section
302), rioting (147), rioting and armed with deadly weapons (148),
being member of unlawful assembly guilty of offence (149),
voluntarily causing hurt (323) and trespassing into a house with the
intention of assaulting people (452). All the accused were present in
court.

Rajan Prasad of Sahmat, a Left cultural organisation Hashmi had set
up, said: "Justice delayed is better than justice denied."

Public prosecutor Ved Pal Saini blamed the delay on the influential
accused who he alleged had threatened witnesses.

"It is a welcome verdict, though belated," CPM general secretary
Harkishen Singh Surjeet said.

o o o

The Hindu, November 5, 2003

Judge to pronounce sentence today in Safdar Hashmi murder case
http://www.thehindu.com/2003/11/05/stories/2003110511411100.htm

International South Asia Forum. Bulletin [19], November 1, 2003
is now available
Postal address: Box 272, Westmount Stn., QC, Canada H3Z 2T2 (Tel. 514 346-9477)
(e-mail; insaf at insaf.net or visit our website http://www.insaf.net)

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on matters of peace
and democratisation in South Asia. SACW is an independent &
non-profit citizens wire service run since 1998 by South Asia
Citizens Web http://www.sacw.net/.
The complete SACW archive is available at:
http://bridget.jatol.com/pipermail/sacw_insaf.net/
[The earlier URL for SACW web site <www.mnet.fr/aiindex>, is now
longer operational, you can search google cache for materials on the
old location]
South Asia Counter Information Project a sister initiative provides a
partial back -up and archive for SACW. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/