SACW | 22 Oct. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Oct 22 05:25:21 CDT 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  22 October,  2003

Announcements:
a)  The South Asia Citizens Web web site
continues to be down, users are invited to use
Google cache till further notice.  'South Asia
Counter Information Project' a back-up, archive
area and sister site of SACW can be accessed at:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/
b) All  SACW and associated list members in India
wanting to consult web sites being blocked at
groups.yahoo.com   may try to bypass the 'ban'
via:
http://www.proxify.com
http://www.multiproxy.org/multiproxy.htm  [a more detailed list is given below]

+++++

[1] Hiroshima Mayor urges Pak, India to scrap nukes
[2] Pointless confrontation over Kashmir (Brian Cloughley)
[3] The unblessed of Calcutta (Sarmila Bose)
[4] Gandhi on secular law and state (Anil Nauriya)
[5] Players and Bigots: Keeping Habib Tanvir's
Naya Theatre onstage (Githa Hariharan)
[6] Rerun in temple town - Why all this activity
in Ayodhya seems so familiar (Kuldip Nayar)
[7] Indian Muslims and Secularism (Asghar Ali Engineer)
[8] Fascists at work in Gujarat: Riot witness battered (Basant Rawat)
[9] Announcement from the journal Conservation and Society

--------------

[1]

http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=42373
Pak Tribune
October 21, 2003

Hiroshima Mayor urges Pak, India to scrap nukes

Tuesday October 21, 2003 (1615 PST)

ISLAMABAD: Mayor of Hiroshima, Dr. Tadatoshi
Akiba, currently on visit of Pakistan Tuesday
urged the leaders of Pakistan and India to take
clear actions towards destruction of all nuclear
weapons.

Speaking about the chronic tension between India
and Pakistan, he said that a nuclear exchange
between India and Pakistan could result in
millions of deaths the innocent people.

He expressed these views while speaking at a
function organized by Pakistan-India Peoples
Forum for Peace and Democracy with the
collaboration of Citizens Peace Committee here on
Tuesday.

Dr. Tadatoshi Akiba said that a single atomic
bomb reduced Hiroshima City to scorched earth on
August 6, 1945 and by the end of that year, it
had stolen away 140, 000 precious lives.

The survivors' radiation exposure still causes
pain 58 years later. He went on to say that both
India and Pakistan should abolish their nuclear
bombs, as it will bring pain and misery for their
people.

Mayor further said that US in the name of weapons
of mass destruction has initiated war against
terrorism which he said has been failed to find
any positive clues about the presence of nuclear
weapons in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Nayyar from
Quaid-e-Azam University said that most people in
our society are illiterate and do not know the
consequences of use of nuclear weapons.

Addressing the participants, Dr. Pervez Hoodbhoy
from Quaid-e-Azam University said that the danger
of nuclear war between Pakistan and India was
growing.

Other speakers also shared their views and urged
the both countries to abolish their nuclear
weapons.

The Daily Times, October 22, 2003

Pointless confrontation over Kashmir

Brian Cloughley
The present Indo-Pakistan confrontation is
two-sided. It isn't unilateral on the part of
India. And it isn't proving anything, either,
other than that representatives of both countries
can be ill-tempered to the outer limits of
intemperate vulgarity
Last week President Pervez Musharraf told the
Organisation of the Islamic Conference in
Malaysia that confrontation between India and
Pakistan is pointless. Actually he didn't quite
say it that way: he said Indian confrontation
with Pakistan is pointless which is a subtly
different thing. Does it take two to initiate
confrontation? The answer is, not necessarily -
witness, for example, Indonesia's 'Confrontasi'
with Malaysia in the sixties.
In similar fashion the Kargil incursions by
Pakistan and the movement of Indian troops to the
border with Pakistan last year were one-sided
affairs and decidedly more dangerous than
Confrontasi ever was. Both confrontations
required and received a calibrated military
response, but neither proved anything and both
were examples of curious machismo.
But the present Indo-Pakistan confrontation is
two-sided. It isn't unilateral on the part of
India. And it isn't proving anything, either,
other than that representatives of both countries
can be ill-tempered to the outer limits of
intemperate vulgarity. The continuing discord is
grievously damaging to social and economic
development. Apart from point-scoring, what's the
point?
According to President Musharraf the point is the
'core Islamic cause' of Kashmir. Well, now, this
is a new one. I have not heard it being called an
Islamic cause before, and I hope I don't hear it
again. It may be the core problem between
Islamabad and Delhi, but only because it has been
made so by both countries. It may be a Cause, but
only for the indigenous peoples of both areas of
Kashmir, for it is certainly not Islamic.
Jammu and Kashmir State was never entirely
Muslim. Through no fault of their own there are
many Hindu Kashmiris still living in the Valley,
and thousands more have fled from terror. They
are just as much Kashmiris as anyone else who has
family roots in the region. The Valley had a
Muslim majority under the Maharaja, and might
have been expected to become part of Pakistan.
But as Alastair Lamb wrote, years ago, the
dispute between India and Pakistan has nothing to
do with the welfare of Kashmiris and everything
to do with territorial nationalism.
Let's be quite clear about the Kashmir problem.
Mr Nehru promised a plebiscite. His radio
broadcast from New Delhi on November 2, 1947 was
unambiguous: "We have declared that the fate of
Kashmir is ultimately to be decided by the
people. That pledge we have given, and the
Maharajah has supported it, not only to the
people of Kashmir but to the world. We will not,
and cannot back out of it. We are prepared when
peace and law and order have been established to
have a referendum under international auspices
like the United Nations." Nobody can deny these
words. Just as nobody can deny there is no peace
along the Line of Control and within
Indian-administered Kashmir. (And before some
people get above themselves, let it be said that
Pakistan-administered Kashmir is no bed of
law-abiding roses.)
Security Council Resolution 122 (1957) has not
been withdrawn or modified. It reminds India and
Pakistan that: "the final disposition of the
State of Jammu and Kashmir will be made in
accordance with the will of the people expressed
through the democratic method of a free and
impartial plebiscite conducted under the auspices
of the United Nations." Nothing about peace and
law and order.
But it is wildly optimistic to imagine a
plebiscite could be held without peace and law
and order obtaining. Under any conditions that
might be expected in the foreseeable future it
would be ingenuous (or, more probably,
disingenuous) of any plebiscite proponent to
suggest one could or should be held. But I
mention it to emphasise that the Kashmir issue is
indubitably international and remains on the
Security Council agenda. Not only that, but the
Simla Accord of 1972 makes specific reference to
Kashmir.
In a remarkable statement, George Fernandes,
India's volatile defence minister, said last week
that 'Kargil and Siachen happened [because] the
border had not been defined clearly in the Simla
Pact', which is a reasonable point of view, at
least concerning Siachen. (He was promptly taken
to task, according to India Today, by Mr
Gopalaswami Parthasarathy, a distinguished former
high commissioner to Pakistan who considers
President Musharraf 'pathologically anti-India',
which I doubt.)
But it is deeper than that, because at Simla it
was agreed by Mrs Gandhi and Mr Bhutto that
"representatives of the two sides will meet to
discuss... a final settlement of Jammu and
Kashmir". To even the most prejudiced mind this
conveys acknowledgement by Delhi and Islamabad
that a problem exists and that it should be
settled peacefully. Further, the Simla Accord
does not exclude the UN from involvement.
There is nothing to be gained by saying, as
Foreign Minister Yashwant Sinha did last month,
that Kashmir is 'an inalienable part of India'
because flat statements serve only to further (if
possible) divide all concerned, not just the main
figures. There might be a headline or two, and
approving nods from some domestic elements, but
such declarations don't advance matters one step
towards rapprochement. It seems, indeed, as if Mr
Sinha's intention by this comment (and various
colourful references to Pakistan) was to cripple
any approach to moderation. Likewise President
Musharraf must have known that his evocative
words in Malaysia would only feed the flames of
resentment in Delhi. Are Kashmiris doomed to be
trapped forever in the revolving door of violence
and supercharged xenophobic rhetoric?
The Security Council is in a difficult position
because a plebiscite involving indigenous peoples
disturbs Russia and China, for obvious reasons.
In fact it isn't too attractive for Pakistan and
India, either, as NWFP and several Indian states
might have awkward notions about that sort of
thing. The only practicable movement towards
peaceful settlement is through bilateral talks
fostered by the Council. This would take discreet
persuasion, and the UNSC is now in a position to
become involved in this.
But there are people on both sides who are not
interested in a solution that would end the
hideous barbaric violence. They seem indifferent
to human suffering, but of course it isn't they
who suffer: it is the people of Kashmir.
It is not an indication of weakness to state that
the other party to a disagreement might have an
argument worth listening to. It is, indeed, a
sign of wise maturity. So let the UN bring the
sides together for talks, without noisy
preconditions. And let us have an end to
melodramatic rhetoric and pointless confrontation.
Brian Cloughley is a former military officer who
writes on international affairs. His website is
www.briancloughley.com

____

[3]

The Daily Times, October 20, 2003

The unblessed of Calcutta

Sarmila Bose

I hate to spoil Mother Teresa's big day - but
then, I can't spoil it anyway. The few voices of
dissent have been drowned out by the great
beatification bandwagon. A handful of
rationalists, a few doctors in a district in West
Bengal, India, the lone voice of Christopher
Hitchens, who penned the no-holds-barred attack
Mother Teresa in Theory and Practice. That's
about it. Oh, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad have
called Mother Teresa's 'miracle' a fraud - but
they have their own miracles to tout.
Indeed, giving organisations like Vishwa Hindu
Parishad another issue to go to town about might
be added to the list of the harm laid at Mother
Teresa's door. For she has done harm, just as she
has done great good, and especially as a
Calcuttan I would be failing in my duties if I
did not speak up about it on the occasion of her
fast-track beatification by the Pope.
Anyone who spends her life in the service of some
of the poorest people on earth is a 'saint'
anyway as far as I am concerned. So I appreciate
whatever service Mother Teresa provided to the
poor and destitute and accept her as a
fellow-Calcuttan. How pathetic, then, that the
Catholic Church clings to regulations that needed
to record a 'miracle' - some kind of
super-natural feat, to be conjured up at any cost
- before the Vatican could officially bestow
beatification on her.
This has forced her Order to come up with the
story of a woman in West Bengal whose tumour was
allegedly cured miraculously by the magical
powers of a locket of the Mother long after
Mother Teresa had died. The story has been called
a hoax by the doctors who treated the woman as
well as by her husband, tainting Mother Teresa's
beatification with the smear of fraud.
I don't mind the Pope making Mother Teresa a
'saint' - this is something internal to the
Catholic Church and none of my business. But I do
have a problem when recognition of Mother Teresa
by her own Church has to be based on a lie. Why
couldn't her work be enough to merit recognition?
The very process of making her a 'saint' has
further encouraged superstition and obscurantism.
Perhaps many other poor people will now decide to
go for a Mother Teresa locket when they are ill,
instead of going to a medical clinic. That
certainly does not serve the cause of humanity.
Perhaps the greatest harm she did to the very
poor she said she served was her total opposition
to both abortion and contraception, in accordance
with her orthodox Catholic faith. She worked in a
sea of poverty that is India, yet opposed one of
India's most important anti-poverty policies -
its population control programme. When I visited
her orphanage I was grateful to her for taking in
babies abandoned in the streets of Calcutta, but
there would be fewer abandoned and unwanted
babies all around if India's family planning
programme were more successful. She had the right
to her own faith, but her public work based on
that faith collided with what was better for
society.
For someone about to become a saint, Mother
Teresa was cosy with nasty dictators like the
Duvaliers of Haiti and notorious swindlers like
Charles Keating of the USA. She did not hesitate
to declare that the Duvaliers loved the poor, and
did not care that Keating had stolen a lot of
money from people who weren't rich, just because
he gave her some. In fact, she received lots of
money from lots of people and it is worrying when
Christopher Hitchens reports that none of it is
accounted for through any public audit. It is
also true, as Hitchens points out, that her
institutions offer only simple, rudimentary
service, so the vast funds do not seem to have
been used to upgrade and modernise the care
provided.
Some people have criticised Mother Teresa for
proselytising in the guise of caring for the
dying and destitute. Frankly, if a sick man died
with dignity in her home having technically
become a Catholic, it is infinitely preferable to
his dying a non-Catholic in the gutters of
Calcutta. More important is the question, how
many of the 'dying' would have benefited from
modern medical care available in Calcutta?
If Mother Teresa did not provide medical care to
those who needed it when it was readily
available, that would be reprehensible. In her
last years Mother Teresa herself received some of
the best medical care in modern facilities with
whole teams of doctors and nurses looking after
her every time she was taken ill. Her critics say
that the destitute who died in her institution
were not afforded the same option.
Those who criticise Mother Teresa have been
accused of trying to hide their embarrassment at
the reality of a foreign woman spending her life
caring for desperately poor people about whom so
many of their countrymen do nothing. This is the
most grotesquely unjust insult to the many
individuals in Calcutta who serve the poor and
disadvantaged throughout their lives. Some of
them are associated with religious orders, some
are not. Some are foreign too, but most are
Indian.
Unlike Mother Teresa, many other social workers
seem motivated towards helping eradicate poverty.
Most are limited in scope, constrained by limited
budgets. It is not necessary to put down all
other social workers in India, and in Calcutta in
particular, to highlight the good work done by
Mother Teresa. Nor should it be necessary to be
blind to the harm caused by the rigidly orthodox
faith of Teresa, the Blessed of Calcutta.
Sarmila Bose is Assistant Editor, Ananda Bazar
Patrika, India & Visiting Scholar, Elliott School
of International Affairs, George Washington
University

____

[4]

The Hindu, October 22, 2003

Gandhi on secular law and state
By Anil Nauriya

Gandhi and Nehru had differences. But they had
strong mutual synergies on vital issues.

BEFORE THE mid-19th century, the term secular was
sometimes used with contempt. For the clergy, in
particular, it was almost a synonym for the
uninitiated or "ignorant". The term was sought to
be popularised in its political use by Charles
Bradlaugh and Holyoake in the mid-19th century.
It took time to be adopted. Even Lincoln uses the
word only once and that too in a non-political
context. Its usage lagged behind the formation of
nation-states. When more democratic forms of
government came to be established the political
usage correspondingly increased.

The Motilal Nehru Committee Report on the
Principles of the Constitution of India in 1928
makes no reference to the word itself though the
spirit of the Report is entirely secular. The
Karachi Resolution in March 1931, to which
Gandhi, Jawaharlal Nehru and Maulana Azad were
party, stipulates religious neutrality of the
state. Secularism is writ large on the
resolution. But the word is absent.

A repeated usage of the term occurs early in
Gandhi's writings and speeches in 1933. Two Bills
were then before the Central Legislature. One of
these related to untouchability. Gandhi supported
the Bill, arguing that it properly sought to
withdraw the sanction of "secular law" from a
"custom that is repugnant to the moral sense of
mankind". Such a practice, he said on May 6,
1933, "cannot and ought not to have the sanction
of the law of a secular state". In November 1933
he defended the Bill against the charge that it
was an undue interference in religion, saying
that there were many situations in which it was
necessary for the state to interfere even with
religion. Only "undue" interference ought to be
avoided.

Later, on January 27, 1935, Gandhi addressed some
members of the Central Legislature. He told them
that "(e)ven if the whole body of Hindu opinion
were to be against the removal of untouchability,
still he would advise a secular legislature like
the Assembly not to tolerate that attitude."(The
Collected works of Mahatma Gandhi.)

On January 20, 1942 Gandhi remarked while
discussing the Pakistan scheme: "What conflict of
interest can there be between Hindus and Muslims
in the matter of revenue, sanitation, police,
justice, or the use of public conveniences? The
difference can only be in religious usage and
observance with which a secular state has no
concern."

Significantly, Gandhi's use of the term secular
in relation to the state is such as may, in
contemporary political discourse, be described as
"Nehruvian". That is, Gandhi does not attach any
meaning to the term secular that would have been
unacceptable to or unintelligible to Nehru.

This point is repeated as freedom dawns and Constitution-making begins.

In September 1946, Gandhi told a Christian
missionary: "If I were a dictator, religion and
state would be separate. I swear by my religion.
I will die for it. But it is my personal affair.
The state has nothing to do with it. The state
would look after your secular welfare, health,
communications, foreign relations, currency and
so on, but not your or my religion. That is
everybody's personal concern!"

Gandhi' s talk with Rev. Kellas of the Scottish
Church College, Calcutta on August 16, 1947, the
day after Independence, was reported in Harijan
on August 24: "Gandhiji expressed the opinion
that the state should undoubtedly be secular. It
could never promote denominational education out
of public funds. Everyone living in it should be
entitled to profess his religion without let or
hindrance, so long as the citizen obeyed the
common law of the land. There should be no
interference with missionary effort, but no
mission could enjoy the patronage of the state as
it did during the foreign regime." This
understanding came subsequently to be reflected
in Articles 25, 26 and 27 of the Constitution.

On the next day, August 17, Gandhi elaborated
publicly on the same point in his speech at
Narkeldanga, which Harijan reported thus: "In the
India for whose fashioning he had worked all his
life every man enjoyed equality of status,
whatever his religion was. The state was bound to
be wholly secular. He went so far as to say that
no denominational institution in it should enjoy
state patronage. All subjects would thus be equal
in the eye of the law." Five days later, Gandhi
observed in a speech at Deshbandhu Park in
Calcutta on August 22, 1947: "Religion was a
personal matter and if we succeeded in confining
it to the personal plane, all would be well in
our political life... If officers of Government
as well as members of the public undertook the
responsibility and worked wholeheartedly for the
creation of a secular state, we could build a new
India that would be the glory of the world."

On November 15, 1947 the AICC adopted various
resolutions on the rights of the minorities,
repatriation of refugees and other issues. The
aim of the Congress was defined as a "democratic
secular state where all citizens enjoy full
rights". Gandhi warmly welcomed these
resolutions, saying at a prayer meeting that they
were so important that he wanted to explain the
various resolutions "one by one".

Speaking on Guru Nanak's birthday on November 28,
1947, Gandhi opposed any possibility of state
funds being spent for the renovation of the
Somnath temple. His reasoning was: "After all, we
have formed the Government for all. It is a
`secular' government, that is, it is not a
theocratic government, rather, it does not belong
to any particular religion. Hence it cannot spend
money on the basis of communities."

In supporting a secular state, Gandhi understood
that such a state would have to be backed by
society. Instinctively he saw the historical and
social relation between a secular state and
elements of humanism in society. The relation was
later neglected, especially post-1969, and this
left the field free for Hindutva forces to grow
in society. Six days before Gandhi was shot dead
in January 1948, he wrote: "A well-organised body
of constructive workers will be needed. Their
service to the people will be their sanction and
the merit of their work will be their charter.
The ministers will draw their inspiration from
such a body which will advise and guide the
secular government."

There was a creative tension in the Gandhi-Nehru
relationship. They had differences. Gandhi's
religiosity was not shared by Nehru. Both often
gave expression to differences publicly, in
private letters to one another, and, in the case
of an incarcerated Nehru, in his diary. Some
writers have magnified these or focussed
primarily on these. But they had strong mutual
synergies on vital issues when the two would
spring to each other's side. Gandhi 's positions
on the secular state are Nehruvian in character.
Likewise, Nehru's positions on the definition of
the Indian nation are the same as Gandhi's. Both
stand for territorial nationalism, thus clearly
demarcating themselves from those in the Hindu
Mahasabha, the Muslim League and the
pre-independence CPI of the 1940s which would
define nation or nationality on the basis of
religion. It is difficult to work together even
for a while if differences overshadow
commonalities. Gandhi and Nehru pulled together
for decades. Gandhi as Congress president in 1924
retained Nehru as general secretary. He suggested
Nehru's name for Congress presidentship on at
least four occasions - 1929, 1935 (for 1936),
1938-39 (on this occasion along with the Marxist
Socialist Narendra Deva's name) and finally in
1946.

Nevertheless, a Gandhi-Nehru divide was projected
from various ideological platforms, some of them
seeking to widen it into a chasm. The Hindutva
forces, already stained with Gandhi's blood,
projected the divide because, separated from
Gandhi, Nehru made for them an isolated and
therefore easier ideological target. The
dichotomy was further emphasised within the
post-1969 Congress because of a perceived need to
assert specific loyalties. This perhaps enabled
even leaders like, for instance, Vasant Sathe,
who had been in the RSS in 1939-41, to present
themselves as Nehruvian. Those tied to the
pre-Independence CPI tradition of the 1940s, (not
necessarily or always identical with the
contemporary Left), also `theoremised' the
Gandhi-Nehru divide. Some of them styled
themselves as Nehruvians in relation to Gandhi;
but not all of them held to the Nehruvian
position where the choice was between the
Gandhi-Nehru view of the nation and the Muslim
League notions of nation or nationality. Some of
the Gandhians too promoted the separation of
Gandhi from Nehru. They picked on specific
differences between Gandhi and Nehru and
converted them into their own defining
characteristic. For several years this enabled
many of them to wash their hands of contemporary
developments. But the hour of reckoning now
approaches.

The Telegraph, October 22, 2003

PLAYERS AND BIGOTS
- Keeping Habib Tanvir's Naya Theatre onstage
Second Thoughts Githa Hariharan

The crowd at the JNU City Centre on Ferozeshah
Road was mixed - there were passers-by, actors
and theatre enthusiasts, students and teachers, a
few toddlers, and some frail old people who had
somehow managed to get to Central Delhi despite
the evening traffic. Once the two actors went
"onstage" - a small durrie that had obviously
been laid on many muddy patches before - there
was rapt silence, except for the occasional
spontaneous burst of laughter. Watching all this
from the side was theatre veteran, Habib Tanvir.
Just before the performance, he spoke to the
audience. He said he cannot imagine a more
compact, effective drama form than the one we
were going to see; and, he said, with quiet
conviction, that he could not see anything in the
play that should attract censorship.

Watching the play, it was not the vexed issue of
censorship that was uppermost in my mind. It was
the realization of a rare gift we have: an artist
who selects the best of our traditional heritage
and puts it to use in our own times, to take on
our modern cultural needs, problems and
questions. Over the years, this is what Habib
Tanvir and his Naya Theatre have done. Habib
Saab's plays have brought together a robust rural
voice and a modern worldview, and he has arrived
at this point through years of learning and
honing his craft. From the early Agra Bazaar to
the renowned and evergreen Mitti ki Gaadi, his
plays have celebrated the language, humour, songs
and stories of the Chattisgarhi peasants and
tribals.

The result has been a wonderful vitality, to
which Habib Saab has added his own unique modern
Indian perspective. This means the India of his
plays - or the world of his plays - is not
romanticized; or parochial; or bigoted; or
complacent; or satisfied with easy answers and
labels. Whether the heart of the play is an idea,
a historical episode, or certain cultural
practices and institutions, its overwhelming
thrust is to question, and to do this making use
of simple, direct, energetic rural performing
traditions.

Habib Tanvir recently turned eighty. There have
been many tributes to his contributions to Indian
theatre, and to his continuing work to strengthen
the vital link between the theatre and real life;
between the people on stage and those living in
contemporary Indian society. The tributes are no
more than what Habib Saab and his Naya Theatre
deserve. It seems only a natural and logical
response to admire and learn from such an artist
- someone who has helped us understand our
strengths and terrible pitfalls, in the most
direct and lively manner possible. Indeed, this
has been the response to his plays, not just in
cities in India and elsewhere, but also in the
rural India his plays draw their inspiration and
energy from.

But there has also been another sort of reaction
from some rather predictable quarters. Imagine
the scene: the auditorium is full, and there is
the usual air of anticipation that surrounds you
just before a play begins. The Naya Theatre is
about to perform two of their much-loved plays,
Jamadarin urf Ponga Pandit and Lahore. Then one
man in the audience gets up and raises his voice.
He objects to the plays the audience is waiting
to see. The man has seventeen supporters in the
large audience. What happens next? Surely the
little group of hecklers will be shown the door
so that the play can go on? This is what should
happen. But it doesn't. Instead, under the
watchful eyes of the district collector, the
police "escort" the audience out of the
auditorium to protect them from seeing the plays.
The actors perform to an empty auditorium.

This incredible scene is just one of those that
have occurred in the last few months. Like their
colleagues in the preceding scene, the goons of
the RSS-VHP-Bajrang Dal-BJP ilk have also
displayed their love for living Indian culture by
throwing rotten eggs and chairs on the stage; by
slogan-shouting during performances; by cutting
power-supply to the auditorium; and by forcing
audiences into leaving, or performances into
being cancelled. It is as if our acultural
fundoos have taken it upon themselves to
illustrate that the bigotry Habib Saab's plays
meet head-on is only too real. Given their
passionate interest in culture, the attackers
have not even seen the plays they are attacking.
On being questioned, some of them have come up
with reasons such as "a jamadarin being shown
striking a Brahmin" in the play, Ponga Pandit.
"This is a direct attack on our sanskriti." Or:
"a man is shown entering a temple with his shoes
on." Or: "a pandit should not be called a fraud
(ponga)." Obviously, these self-appointed theatre
critics do not know that we cannot write a play
or a poem or a film or a novel with set rules
about characters, action or ideas and beliefs.
Even worse is the implication that "Muslim
artists" should only portray and criticize the
"Muslim" thread of our complex social fabric.

The play Ponga Pandit is accused of being - no
prizes for guessing the charge - anti-Hindu. The
play is critical, but not of Hinduism. What it
does take on, with its combination of pure fun
and social incisiveness, are aspects of our
society that need critiquing as often as
possible, and from as many points of view as
possible. The caste system; superstition; priest
craft; Brahmanism; and untouchability. Any
self-respecting Hindu would be indignant if told
that this is what constitutes Hinduism.

As always with instances of cultural vandalism,
the timing is important. The play is by no means
a new one that has instantly given offence. Two
Chattisgarhi actors, Sukhram and Sitaram, put the
play together in the Thirties, and since then,
the play has been performed by generations of
rural actors. Habib Tanvir's Naya Theatre, in
fact, "inherited" the play from the rural actors
who joined the troupe. Naya Theatre has been
staging the play since the Sixties, and all over
the country. No one found it objectionable or
called it "anti-Hindu" all these years. What then
has happened to the play since 1992 to make it
offensive? Could it be that those who pulled down
the Babri Masjid have since been looking for more
and more victims in our shared cultural life to
demolish?

Every new attack on the already shrinking spaces
of our cultural practitioners restricts and
falsifies their art. Equally, it deprives the
right of our people to information, ideas, debate
- in short, a vigorous, dynamic culture, culture
that is not a static thing, a statue or a
building to be worshipped; but alive, evolving,
and always true to the questioning, seeking human
spirit. So the most obvious issue at stake is not
just the artist's right to create and perform;
but also the audience's right to benefit from
this creative performance. We, as fellow-citizens
of Habib Tanvir, must take on his attackers in
our work, on the stage, in the media, and on the
streets. And we must do this in a voice as bold
and powerful as that of Habib Tanvir's plays.

The Indian Express, October 21, 2003

Rerun in temple town
Why all this activity in Ayodhya seems so familiar
KULDIP NAYAR
It is too familiar, too repetitive. Who begins
the exercise does not matter. The BJP may do so
and the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) would join
it. Or, maybe, it is the other way round. It all
comes to the same thing: the convergence of the
Sangh Parivar. And each time, the RSS is there to
plan and guide and act. The point to note is that
the Parivar is there when the fat is in the fire
- all of them right up to the Bajrang Dal and the
Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarti Parishad.

If you were to recall L.K. Advani's rath yatra,
which divided Hindus and Muslims in the
countryside of northern India, it started the
same way. The declaration was to collect bricks
for the temple at Ayodhya. The entire Parivar
chipped in. When it came to the demolition of the
Babri Masjid, everyone lent a hand.

Similar was the pattern when the VHP began its
campaign to have ''darshan'' at the makeshift
temple built at the site where the Babri Masjid
once stood. The BJP first stayed aloof lest its
Central government be seen to be mixed up in the
affair. Then, as the day of ''darshan''
approached, BJP President Venkaiah Naidu came out
in open support. The RSS, so far content to act
behind the scenes, then publicly joined the VHP
with the warning that the atmosphere could turn
foul. It even said that the best policy to tackle
tension was to build the temple. So once again
the Sangh Parivar converged at the same point,
whatever the route different members took to
reach it.

The sad part is the Central government's
prevarication. After his return from his tour of
Southeast Asia, the first comment Prime Minister
Atal Bihari Vajpayee made was to ask the nation
to trust the VHP, which he said had announced a
peaceful agitation. The deputy prime minister,
also the home minister, was more categorical. He
asked Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Mulayam Singh
Yadav not only to allow peaceful ''darshan'' but
also to permit a get-together outside the
makeshift temple. In the meantime, VHP General
Secretary Praveen Togadia carried on spouting
poison. He said there could be communal riots if
VHP activists were stopped from marching to
Ayodhya. The Parishad even talked about the
hundreds of mosques it had yet to pull down.

There was not even a whimper of protest from the
home minister, who now has Pota in his arsenal.
Even ugly threats by the VHP went unnoticed. If
SIMI, a body of Muslim fanatics, can be banned,
then what stops the government from banning the
VHP? The difference is that the latter is part of
the Sangh Parivar, which includes the ruling BJP.

History has strange twists. When the Babri Masjid
was demolished, the Uttar Pradesh government was
under the BJP. The Congress was at the Centre.
This time when the VHP has gone berserk, the
state is under Mulayam's Samajwadi Party and the
Centre under the BJP-led National Democratic
Alliance. Then the state government failed and
the Centre looked the other way. This time the
state stood firm but the Centre played tricks,
thankfully without giving the VHP direct support.
It is reported that the RSS told the VHP not to
push things beyond repair at a time when the BJP
is contesting four state elections and when Lok
Sabha polls are only a year away.

The result is that the VHP's agitation did not
take off, although it managed to have some 10,000
workers arrested. It conveyed two things. One, if
a state was firm and planned ahead to curb
mischief, communal forces could be thwarted. Two,
the temple was an overplayed card. It has ceased
to attract people. The Sangh Parivar will be
making a mistake if it believes that it can get
votes in the name of the temple. The VHP's
tantrums have only strengthened Mulayam Singh
Yadav and weakened the Parivar.

It is comical that the makeshift temple which is
a point of controversy was not supposed to be
there. It was built during the night following
the destruction of the masjid. The state was then
under president's rule. I recall the then prime
minister, Narasimha Rao, assuring some of us
senior journalists that the mandir would not be
there ''for long''. He did not explain how the
central forces, which were already in Lucknow,
could not manage to prevent the temple from
coming up.

Strange, on Friday when Hindu extremists were
trying to tear asunder the fabric of pluralism
and legal system at Ayodhya, Muslim extremists
were wreaking havoc in Srinagar. Coincidences can
be telling at times.

Ayodhya is a temple town in the Hindu majority
state of Uttar Pradesh while Srinagar is a
picturesque city in the Muslim majority state of
Jammu and Kashmir. Both had planned their moves
days in advance. The message they gave was
similar: when religion was sought to be
politicised, the law and security forces should
be pushed into the background.

True, the intent of extremists in Kashmir and
Uttar Pradesh cannot be compared. The former are
trying to wrest the Valley away from the rest of
the country through terrorism, assisted by
elements from across the border. The second set
of extremists are destroying India in a different
way, targeting its ethos of secularism. Still,
where the two coincide is in their communal
approach - one would do anything to Islamise
Kashmir and the other to Hinduise India.

New Delhi is justifiably firm in fighting the
terrorists in Kashmir because it is a low-level
war for secession. There is no doubt that we will
win this war, sooner or later. But I am not sure
about how we would emerge from the war against
bigotry and extremism. The BJP-led government at
the Centre does not seem to be sincere about it.
Its pronouncements may, at times, be in support
of pluralism. But its actions betray the support
for Hindutva through and through.

(Secular Perspective Oct.16-31, 2003)
INDIAN MUSLIMS AND SECULARISM

Asghar Ali Engineer

Indian Muslims are facing acute challenge today
thanks to critical situation of communalism in
India today. The aggressive rise of Sangh Parivar
has made great difference to their existence. The
history of their attitude to secularism is also
quite zigzag and interesting. It must be,
however, noted that no community as huge as
Indian Muslims should or can be homogenised. The
Indian Muslims have been immensely diverse in all
senses - religious, ideological, cultural,
lingual as well as political. In addition to all
this, they have, somewhat like Hindus, caste
diversity too, although short of untouchability.

It would thus be wrong to talk of, as we often
do, any uniform attitude of Indian Muslims to
secularism. We have to note one more thing about
Indian Muslims that they are in minority and all
minorities whether cultural, religious or
linguistic, tend to, in the moment of crisis
whether perceived or real, which threatens their
existence, adopt somewhat uniform pattern of
behaviour though this uniformity is more apparent
than real. This apparent uniformity of behaviour
in moments of crisis is not only taken real by
many but also is thought to be of permanent
nature. We will throw some light on this little
later.

The question of secularism and Indian Muslims is
not new. It arose as early as mid eighties when
the Indian National Congress was formed. It was
founders of Indian National Congress fully aware
of multi-religious character of Indian society,
adopted secularism as an anchor sheet of
political policy. Indian Muslims were split even
then in their attitude towards Indian National
congress and its policy of secularism. Some
Muslims led by Badruddin Tyebji not only attended
the Bombay session of INC but they wholeheartedly
approved of its policies. Another section of
Muslims, on the other hand, led by Sir Syed, a
great advocate of modern education among Muslims,
thought it fit that Muslims should keep their
distance from the Congress as it would anger the
British rulers.

However, what is more interesting that the
orthodox Ulama led by Maulana Qasim Ahmed
Nanotvi, the founder of Darul 'Ulum Deoband,
urged upon Muslims to join the Indian National
congress and fight shoulder to shoulder with
their Hindu brethren to expel Britishers from
this country. Maulana Qasim Ahmed Nanotvi even
issued a fatwa requiring Muslims to join Indian
National Congress to fight against the
Britishers. Not only this he collected 100 such
fatwas and published them in the form of a book
called Nusrat al-Ahrar which meant helping the
freedom fighters.

Thus even the orthodox 'ulama did not hesitate to
accept secular policies of Indian National
Congress during nineteenth century. These 'ulama
later formed an organisation
Jami'at-ul-'Ulama-i-Hind which consistently
remained with INC and supported all its secular
policies. These 'ulama urged upon Mahatma Gandhi
to take up the cause of the Khilafat movement
which the Mahatma did and it drew large number of
Muslims to the Congress fold. Thus the
Jam'at-ul-'Ulama-i-Hind had the credit of
bringing Indian Muslims to accept the dream of
secular India.

It is also interesting to note that the Jami'at
never compromised on its support to the concept
of secular India and opposed two nation theory of
Jinnah tooth and nail. The contribution of
Maulana Husain Ahmad Madani who was president of
Jami'at when the controversial theory of two
nation was propounded, was quite seminal. He
urged Indian Muslims not to be misled by the
Muslim League propaganda and throw their lot with
composite nationalism.

Thus it would be a serious mistake to think that
all Indian Muslims supported the Pakistan
movement. In fact not only the
Jami'at-ul-'Ulama-i-Hind but also the All India
Momin conference which was the organisation of
weaving community among Muslims opposed formation
of Pakistan and threw its lot with the Congress
and its secular policies. In fact all low caste
Muslims had hardly any interest in formation of
Pakistan as it was perceived, and rightly so, for
the benefit of upper class Muslim elite.
Unfortunately these Muslims had no voice as
franchise was limited only to upper class, upper
caste Hindus and Muslims. Thus they could not
influence the decision for partitioning the
country and the unfortunate thing happened. Thus
the entire responsibility of partition rests on
the Hindu and Muslim elite of the time. The
masses from both the communities were left high
and dry.

                                  II

In post independence India too Muslims had
diverse attitude towards secularism. Now they
were much reduced and weakened minority. The
educated elite, especially from U.P. and Bihar,
had migrated to Pakistan. The poor Muslim masses
that could hardly gain anything by migration
remained in India and saw their safety in
clinging to the Congress ideology of secularism.

However, secularism followed a very zigzag course
in post-independence India too. Though Jawaharlal
Nehru was firmly committed to secularism many of
his fellow Congressmen had, to say the least,
highly ambiguous attitude towards secular
philosophy. It is interesting to note that Shri
Gobind Ballabh Pant, the then chief Minister of
U.P. did not make any efforts to remove the idol
of Ram Lallah which was installed inside Babri
Masjid in 1948 despite strong letters from Nehru
and Sardar Patel. His commitment to secularism
was certainly not as firm as that of Jawaharlal
Nehru. Had he firmly asserted his authority and
got the idol removed India perhaps would not have
faced such disaster as it did since late eighties
when the Sangh Parivar decided to ride to power
on Ram Lallah and seriously weaken the secular
character of India.

Indian Muslims' faith in secularism too had
diverse trends. The Jamat-e-Islami-i-Hind, which
followed the guide lines laid down by Maulana
Maududi at the time of his migration to Pakistan
and rejected secularism as an "atheistic
philosophy" and accepting it would amount to
"rebellion against Allah and His messenger."
However, the Jamat, it must be noted, was a cadre
based party and had very little following among
the Muslims. The Jamat too, accepted democratic
secular political philosophy in the post-Babri
demolition period and set up a secular democratic
front and has been ever since making efforts for
communal harmony along with many NGOs and Human
Rights activists.

Many politicians and scholars see in Muslims
'duplicity' of attitude as far as secularism and
secular issues are concerned. Firstly, they feel,
Indian Muslims invoke secularism for the safety
and security of their existence but aggressively
fight against any move for secular change or
reform in their religious tradition. In eighties
the Shah Bano case became the most cited example
of this 'duplicity'.

It is undoubtedly true that a large number of
Muslims were mobilised by the North Indian Muslim
leadership to oppose the Supreme Court judgement
in the Shah Bano case. But as pointed out above,
Muslims have diverse trends among themselves and
quite a large number of Muslims were in support
of Shah Bano judgement but media which is more
interested in negative reporting never covered
these diverse trends among Muslims. In South a
section of Muslim religious leadership also
opposed the Shah Bano movement launched by the
North Indian Muslim leadership. Many Muslim
activists submitted memoranda to the then Rajiv
Gandhi Government not to change the Shah Bano
judgement but to no avail. The media hardly gave
much importance to this dissenting Muslims
viewpoint. The so-called Shahi Imam who hardly
represents a tiny minority of Muslims, always
hogged headlines in the media.

Secondly, the Muslims are often accused of
keeping silent when Godhra like incident takes
place. The Sangh Parivar even accuses the
secularists from amongst the majority community
of such an attitude. This is also not quite true.
No sensible Muslim would ever approve of such
highly condemnable incidents. Many did send their
statements to the press but either did not find
place in the papers or were reported on inside
pages not very prominently. Now of course in view
of such repeated accusations number of Muslims
are not only issuing statements but organising
events like protest meeting etc. in order that
the media take notice of their condemnation.
After the bomb blast in Mumbai on 25th August
number of Muslims in Mumbai held a high profile
meeting to condemn the bomb blast. The Muslims in
Muslim areas even organised spontaneous bandh
next day after the blast. If one moves among
common Muslims one will find visible sentiments
against such indiscriminate violence by some
Muslim fanatics.

It is also not true that all Muslims are opposed
to any reform in Muslim personal law as it
operates in India. As education and awareness is
increasing pressures are developing on the
personal law board to effect the necessary
changes. Many educated Muslim women are becoming
articulate critic of status quo and are demanding
certain changes. It is a matter of time that such
changes will have to be effected.

It is also important to note that new realities
are emerging on the social and political scene.
One should not take static view of Muslim
situation in India. Many changes are taking place
among the Muslims in post-Babri demolition and
now post-Gujarat carnage period. The trend for
secular education is increasing most certainly
and more and more educational institutions are
coming up. Madrasa education is here to stay
among poorer Muslims but trend for secular
education is no less significant. The need for
secular education and secular values was never
felt so strongly among Muslims as today. The rise
in aggressive Sangh communalism is a challenge
that the Muslim leaders and intellectuals should
use creatively for a healthy change. Every
challenge also brings some hidden opportunities.

The Telegraph, October 22, 2003

Riot witness battered

BASANT RAWAT
Ahmedabad, Oct. 21: Rehman Shakoorbhai Saiyed
dared to name his children's killers and got
battered black and blue for it.

A group of 20 hoodlums, armed with hockey sticks
and swords, last night descended on Faizal Park
Society and thrashed him for having told the
Nanavati Commission the names of the culprits who
burnt three of his children alive in Naroda-Patia
during the Godhra riots.

All his terrified fellow residents could do was
switch off lights, bolt doors and pray for their
lives as the goons attacked and bludgeoned the
40-year-old. Done, they brandished their swords
and did the rounds of the society in Vatva where
nearly 45 riot-stricken families of Naroda-Patia
have been rehabilitated.

Saiyed is one of the four key witnesses of the
carnage who deposed before the commission probing
the riots earlier this month. Having seen his
children burn alive, he named one Bhawani Sinh
and Goodu as the main culprits and also slammed
police for instigating trouble during the riots.

Saiyed said Akram - the leader of the gang that
targeted him 20 days after his deposition - was a
local goon.

"Ever since I came to stay here 14 months ago, I
have never had any problem with him. So, he must
have been hired by someone to attack me - someone
who is not happy with my statements," he said.

A Faizal Park resident, Khan Mohammed, who saw
last night's attack, said the goons showed up
only after ensuring that the constable who
protects Saiyed had left for dinner around 7.30.
First, the three persons sitting with Saiyed were
told to scoot. Then the hoodlums began beating
him up, screaming that he was paying for having
dared to name names.

"I was too scared, so I left and went to my home
and switched off the lights. But I could see
Akram, Salim, Firoz and Imran dragging him and
then attacking him. Saiyed has several injuries
with swords and hockey sticks," Khan, who later
took Saiyed to hospital and the police station,
said.

Khan said the goons had made arrangements to
ensure that Saiyed did not reach Vatva police
station to file a first information report. They
were seen loitering around on the main road for
quite a while after they finished with Saiyed, he
said.

Having sensed their motive, Khan took Saiyed on
his scooter to Haveli police station, nearly 15
km from Faizal Park. But they were told they
could file an FIR only at Vatva police station.
Even 24 hours after the incident, no arrests have
been made. Investigating officer B.R. Machi said:
"Investigations are on. Senior officers are
discussing the matter.''

Sheba George, a social activist working with
Naroda-Patia riot victims, said the attack on
Rehman was an attempt to terrorise witnesses
against speaking up. "This is a new tactic by the
police to deter witnesses from exposing their
questionable role during the riots," she said.

New in 2003!
CONSERVATION AND SOCIETY
Editor: KAMAL BAWA, University of Massachusetts,
Boston and Ashoka Trust for Ecology and the
Environment, Bangalore

This journal is dedicated to the theory and
practice of the conservation of natural
resources, particularly as mediated by the
conflicts and tensions that accompany societal
claims on these resources. A unique feature of
the journal is its interdisciplinary focus since
the scientific dimensions of conservation are
inextricably linked to the politics and economics
of effective conservation. It draws upon both the
natural and social sciences, particularly the
disciplines of anthropology, history, sociology
and biology.

A peer-reviewed journal, Conservation and Society
explores and debates contemporary issues
concerning the environment. To this end, it
covers basic and applied research in areas such
as political ecology, human-wildlife conflicts,
decentralized conservation, the structure and
functioning of ecosystems, the ecology of species
and communities, animal behavior and behavioral
ecology, and conservation biology. Perspectives
from the grassroots and from voluntary action
groups are also included. Conservation and
Society regularly features both submitted and
commissioned articles, debates and discussions,
and book reviews. On occasion, issues will be
devoted to special themes.

Highlights of Volume 1 Number 2 (2003)

Kings as Wardens and Wardens as Kings: Post-Rana
Ties  between Nepali Royalty and National Park
Staff. Nina Bhatt

The Role of Local Taboos in Conservation: The
Radiated Tortoise in Southern Madagascar. Marlene
Lingard, Nivo Raharison, Elisabeth
Rabakonandrianina, Jean-Aimé Rakotoarisoa and
Thomas Elmqvist

Community, Class, and Conservation: Development
Politics on the Kanyakumari Coast. Ajantha
Subramanian

The Response of Agamid Lizards to Rainforest
Fragmentation in the Southern Western Ghats,
India. N M Ishwar, Ravi Chellam, Ajith Kumar and
B R Noon

The 'Problem' of Shifting Cultivation in the Garo
Hills, North-East India, 1860-1970. Bela Malik

Nature, Conservation and Environmental  History:
A Review of Some Recent Environmental Writings on
South Asia. Rohan D'Souza

Biannual: March, October
ISSN: 0972-4923

EDITORIAL BOARD
Chief Editor: KAMALJIT S BAWA, University of
Massachusetts, Boston and Ashoka Trust for
Research in Ecology and Environment, Bangalore
Executive Editor:
VASANT SABERWAL, Moving Images, New Delhi
Associate Editors:
AMITA BAVISKAR, University of California, Berkeley
R UMA SHAANKER, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore
K SIVARAMAKRISHNAN, University of Washington, Seattle

Conservation and Society
An interdisciplinary journal exploring linkages
between society, environment and development
C/o Moving Images, 310 Qutab View Apartments,
Jain Mandir Dada Bari Road, Mehrauli, New Dellhi
110 030, India
Tel: +91 11 26524940/26601751; email:
editor at conservationandsociety.org;
http://conservationandsociety.org

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex). [Please
note the SACW web site has gone down, you will
have to for the time being search google cache
for materials]
The complete SACW archive is available at: http://sacw.insaf.net
South Asia Counter Information Project a sister
initiative provides a partial back -up and
archive for SACW. http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/