SACW | 13 Oct. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Mon Oct 13 14:51:11 CDT 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE   |  13 October,  2003

Announcements:
a)  The South Asia Citizens Web web site is down,
users are invited to use Google cache till
further notice.
b) 'South Asia Counter Information Project' a
back-up, archive area and sister site of SACW can
be accessed at: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/
c) All  SACW and associated list members in India
wanting to consult web sites being blocked at
groups.yahoo.com   may openly bypass the 'ban'
via:

+++++

[1] Edward Said slandered by Ibn Warraq:
  Correspondence between Pervez Hoodbhoy and Paul Kurtz
[2] Pakistan: Hudood Laws: Extremely misused (Beena Sarwar)
[3] Pakistan: Immediate arrest of Jirga members
demanded who killed two lovers in Sindh
[4] Patents for peace and happiness (M.S. Swaminathan)
[5] India: Press Release by Jankshetra
[6] India: Yet another film earns the wrath of Hindu right culture police
[7] Book Review: 'The wheel of law: India's
Secularism in Comparative Constitutional Context
by Gary Jeffrey Jacobsohn' (C.P. Bhambri)
[8] India: TV Spirituality: Bhakti Button (Harsh Kabra)
[9] India: Open letter to the IT Minister
[posting on 'kynhun · Bri U Hynniewtrep]
[10] Resisting Censorship (Sevanti Ninan)
[11] India: Contempt of quote [The case against Advani] (MANOJ MITTA)

--------------

[1.]

SUBJECT: EDWARD SAID SLANDERED BY IBN WARRAQ

You will find below my correspondence with Dr. Paul Kurtz, chairman and
founder of the Council for Secular Humanism where Warraq is presently
being supported.

I believe that this exchange raises significant issues that might interest
you.

Pervez

Prof. Paul Kurtz
Chairman and Founder
The Council for Secular Humanism
Buffalo, New York.

Dear Prof. Kurtz,

As you know, I was an invited speaker at the Council for Secular
Humanism's conference in Washington DC in April 2003. I enjoyed meeting
you and some of your colleagues at the Council, have read your books with
admiration, applaud your call for a "Planetary Humanism", and was
heartened by your principled public opposition to America's war against
Iraq. However, as I made evident in my public remarks at the Conference,
as well as to you personally, I was much distressed by speeches expressing
intense hatred and hostility against Muslims. One speaker (Armen Saganian)
went so far as to advocate their violent elimination through ethic
cleansing. I was and remain disturbed by the Council's continued
association with -- and active promotion of -- certain individuals who
associate themselves with the extreme right-wing chorus in the United
States that bays for Muslim and Arab blood.

I am moved to write this to you now because of one such person, Ibn
Warraq, a member of your Council and a speaker at the Washington
conference. In an outrageous and disgraceful op-ed published in the Wall
Street Journal (Sept 29, 2003) Ibn Warraq attacked Professor Edward Said
of Columbia University, who passed away recently. Warraq shamelessly
accuses Professor Said of intellectual terrorism and fomenting Muslim
rage. It is hard to imagine a greater slur against a man who was among the
finest of people and a humanist to his core.

I knew Edward Said for about 15 years and considered him an exemplary
figure.  As you know, he spent much of his life advocating the right of
the Palestinian people to national self-determination. He did so while
acknowledging the reality of the Jewish people and the Holocaust. In a
1999 essay in The New York Times he wrote that "There can be no
reconciliation unless both peoples, two communities of suffering, resolve
that their existence is a secular fact, and that it has to be dealt with
as such."  In 1999 Edward, together with the Israeli citizen Daniel
Barenboim, arranged for Wagner's music to be taught to Palestinian
students in the occupied West Bank and thus created the award-winning
West-Eastern Divan Orchestra. For Edward "humanism is the only, and I
would go as far as to say the final resistance we have against the inhuman
practices and injustices that disfigure human history."

And Warraq? Best known for his book "Why I Am Not A Muslim", he has done
little more than replicate Bertrand Russell's arguments for deserting
Christianity. But he is no Russell.  Russell openly and honestly stood up
for secular politics, peace, justice, and humanism as universal
principles, applying them consistently in every situation. Thus, Russell
opposed his own country's wars and his country's nuclear weapons as well
as the wars and weapons of others. Warraq is blinded by his hate of
Muslims. Roundly condemning the use of religion in the Islamic world, he
is silent about the political uses of Christianity and Judaism as he
scurries around to gain favor with the neo-conservatives and the
Christian-Right in the White House. I hear not a squeak from him about the
United States having organized the great Global Jihad in Afghanistan to
combat the godless Soviet Union, the success of which brought to us Osama
bin Laden and his fellow jihadists. Nor do I find mention of the
systematic and deliberate subversion of secular governments in Muslim
states by the United States, or the unstinting support that it provided to
Islamic fundamentalist states such as Saudi Arabia until 9-11. I have
looked at Warraq's writings in vain to seek reference to the messianic
Judaism that drives Israel's unrelenting expansion, and the construction
of the world's largest concentration camp with an apartheid wall that is
25 feet high, five feet thick and 350 kilometers long.

This opens a larger issue the meaning of humanism in the context of
today's world, and the definition of a humanist. Surely a humanist both in
my definition and yours resolutely rejects the role of religion in public
life and affairs of the state; rejects the role of political and religious
ideology in determining personal ethics and morality; rejects the notion
of supernatural interference in determining physical phenomena;  and
affirms the right of individuals to make their own choices informed by
reason. Even as I write to you from Islamabad, I am fully aware of the
enormous import each of these carries within the context of my
environment. But, while these are necessary conditions for being a
humanist, they are surely insufficient.

In my opinion the very first, and most fundamental, premise for a humanist
is to accept that all human life whether Christian, Muslim, Jew, Hindu or
of whichever nationality and race is equally valuable. This must be
accompanied by the belief that rational critical thought is the essence to
living a civilized, human, existence. These two premises, if taken
seriously, do not allow humanists to join the ranks marching in the insane
war of civilizations being fomented equally by some in the US and in the
Muslim world.  Rather, humanists must follow the lead given by Edward
Said, when he invited us and challenged us to "concentrate on the slow
working together of cultures that overlap, borrow from each other, and
live together."

If your conference and Ibn Warraq are any indications, American humanism
is facing a growing crisis. In these difficult times, reflection, rational
argument and moral principles appears to be too heavy a burden for some.
They prefer the easy refuge of American exceptionalism and, for their own
narrow and selfish reasons, they are eager to help make people into demons
and support the use of force and violence. I urge you and your colleagues
to begin a wide ranging and sustained public reflection about what you
understand humanism to be, to consider carefully who your Council embraces
a humanist, and to confront those whose actions undermine the foundations
of humanism.

Sincerely yours.

Pervez Hoodbhoy
Professor of Physics
Quaid-e-Azam University
Islamabad 45320, Pakistan.

------------------------
KURTZ REPLIES:

October 9, 2003

Dear Pervez Hoodbhoy:

May I thank you for your letter about Ibn Warraq. We always take your
views very seriously. We appreciate your fine efforts on behalf of
understanding between Islamic countries and the Western world. Permit me,
then, to lay your fears to rest. First of all, Ibn Warraq's letter was to
the Wall Street Journal, not Free Inquiry or some other outlet sponsored
by the Council for Secular Humanism. We cannot be held responsible for the
views of somebody in another journal. Whether we agree or disagree with
Ibn Warraq on the issue of Edward Said, surely, he is at liberty to
advance his argument. Ibn Warraq's role as a Research Fellow of the Center
for Inquiry does not require him to submit all his material for approval
before publication. No reputable research institute operates like that.

Regarding the expression of different opinions at the Washington
conference panel, surely this is what panels are for. It is generally
understood that the host organization is not to be held responsible for
all the opinions expressed at a forum they organize. Conference panels are
designed to provide a range of opinions on any particular issue, have them
articulated effectively and for the audience to leave the panel better
informed as a result. In this, the panel was a success. That some opinions
expressed were unhelpful is an integral part of the process. In any case,
Armen Saginian's points were criticized at the time by Bill Cooke, the
Center's International Director. It is also important to note that Ibn
Warraq's views were among the more moderate on that panel. Concerning the
Iraq war, it is true that editors of Free Inquiry came out strongly
against the preemptive strike by the USA in Iraq. We did, however, allow
dissenting op-ed points of view. And Christopher Hitchins and Edward
Tabash, for example, supported the war.

You offer a pretty comprehensive, indeed ad hominem, attack on Ibn Warraq.
You only mention Why I am Not A Muslim, accusing him of fomenting hatred
against Muslims. If this were true, it is inconceivable that he would have
been able to secure permission to use the works of widely respected
scholars for the four edited works which followed Why I am Not a Muslim
(which you don't mention). This includes What the Koran Really Says, The
Origins of the Koran, and The Quest for the Historical Muhammad. And
surely, if his work was based on malevolence as you claim, this would have
been mentioned in the recent Times Literary Supplement article by Oxford
University's Chase Robinson. In fact, this does not happen, and Warraq's
work is praised for the positive contribution to Islamic renewal we
believe it is. Mr. Warraq has every right to reject his former Muslim
beliefs and to express his dissenting views. Surely Christians, Hindus,
and Jews have the right to believe or not-in democratic societies. Why
should not Muslims be permitted freedom of conscience, a human right?

Surely it is unfair to look for condemnations of American foreign policy,
or Christian and Jewish triumphalism in Warraq's work. His books are about
the foundations of Islam, a different subject entirely. We would seek in
vain for observations on the aesthetic trends of German art in your
professional writing, but only because we would be looking in the wrong
place for such material. And incidentally, much of the material you say
you can't find in Warraq's work is dealt with elsewhere. For instance the
issue of secularism in Malaysia was aired in Free Inquiry, (Vol. 23, No.
3, p. 54), as are many strong criticisms of the United States' foreign
policy.

The work Ibn Warraq is doing, just like the work you are doing, is
invaluable to the ongoing project of encouraging a reformation of Islam.
Ibn Warraq is no more motivated by a hatred of Islam than you are. And if
you disagree with him on his assessment of Edward Said, well take the
issue up with our blessing. But we see no reason to "consider carefully
who [the] Council embraces as a humanist" or to "confront those whose
actions undermine the foundations of humanism." Humanism is about
encouraging the spirit of inquiry, not shutting it down. Hopefully this
dispute can run its course as a legitimate academic dispute over a
thinker's legacy and not descend into a series of personal animosities.

Sincerely yours,

-Paul Kurtz
Chairman
___________________
Paul Kurtz, Chairman
Center for Inquiry
3965 Rensch Road
Amherst, NY  14226
(716) 636-1425 ext. 201

____

[2]

The News on Sunday
October 12, 2003

HUDOOD LAWS: Extremely misused

In line with the NCSW's recommendation that
Hudood laws be repealed, many legal and religious
experts hold that these laws do not fulfil the
criteria for providing justice under national,
international or religious law

By Beena Sarwar

"This law is used mostly for revenge," says
Parveen Parvez, a lawyer at Karachi's City
Courts, talking about Pakistan's Zina, or
adultery, laws that are part of the Hudood
Ordinance of 1979. "Most cases are registered by
parents against their daughters who have married
of their own choice, or husbands whose wives
re-marry after divorce."

Although overall, the number of women booked
under this law hasdecreased compared to when it
was first enforced in 1980, Parveen says she has
only seen zina cases increase in the last ten or
twelve years that she has been practicing.

In 1979, there were only 70 women in prisons all
over Pakistan. By 1988, this figure was an
astounding 6,000 (six thousand). The number of
prosecutions under the Zina Ordinance not only
multiplied, they became the majority of the cases
against women being dealt with.

In three years (1994-96), the Women Police
Station Karachi South, registered 113 cases
against women, 94 out of which ((80 %), were
registered under the Zina Ordinance. In 1988, 47
per cent of the women in Punjab prisons had been
charged with zina.

Besides the two kinds of cases that Parveen
identifies as being predominantly booked under
Zina, three other categories of women are
adversely affected by these laws, notes Dr Farida
Akhtar, president of the JUP's women wing in
Karachi and a Member of the National Assembly
representing the MMA.

"Girls who are raped are also imprisoned in our
jails under the zina laws. Then there are the
prostitutes - but some 'dalal' or other always
gets them out. And fifth, there are those girls
who are forced into this profession by their
fathers and brothers, I have met such girls in
jail myself, who say they were forced, and
arrested during a police raid."

So shouldn't these laws be repealed, considering
that they have led to thousands of women being
unjustly accused of adultery, and then
imprisoned? "But all these thousands of women
have only been imprisoned," retorts Dr Akhtar.
"None of them have been punished under the Hudood
laws so far, because of the condition requiring
four witnesses. That is what has saved them."

The argument that every law can be misused may be
correct to some extent. But, thus stated, it
addresses the wrong question. Certainly, the
strict condition for four adult Muslim males who
are truthful and abstain from major sins to bear
witness against anyone accused of Zina, has led
to most such cases being acquitted -- eventually,
anyway -- 95 per cent, according to a statement
by former Chief Justice of the Federal Shariat
Court M. Afzal Zullah.

But conversely, this condition has also been
inverted so that a woman who has been raped is
also required under this law, to provide these
four 'tazkiat-uz-shahood' -- or else risk being
accused of adultery herself. Lower courts have
pronounced severe sentences under the Hudood laws
in several such cases.

Some such high profile cases of the 1980s include
13-year old Jehan Mina, raped and made pregnant
by an uncle and his son, and sentenced to a
hundred lashes, reduced to 15 in view of her
tender age. The blind maid servant Safia Bibi was
sentenced to a similar punishment. In both cases,
the fact that the raped girls had become pregnant
was used against them, as proof of the sex act
having been committed. The men were acquitted on
benefit of doubt in both cases.

Besides sentences of whipping and imprisonment,
several women have also undergone the trauma of
being sentenced to death by stoning, the most
recent case being that of Zafran Bibi in Kohat
last year.

In all these cases, there was a huge public
outcry by Pakistan's women's rights activists,
and much unwanted international attention to the
Islamic Republic of Pakistan. And in all these
cases, as in most zina cases, the higher courts
of appeal acquitted the women. In August 2002,
the Federal Shariat Court finally established the
principle in the Zafran Bibi case that a woman's
pregnancy was not proof of adultery. A similar
principle was established by an Islamic court in
Nigeria recently, when Amina Lawal was acquitted
of adultery and the sentence of stoning to death
awarded by a lower court overturned.

But in Pakistan, besides imprisonment, at least
some women have undergone the pain and
humiliation of being whipped, like Lal Mai,
administered 15 lashes in public in Bahawalpur on
Sept 30, 1983, and Rukhsana Yusuf, 15 lashes in
Karachi Central Jail, on July 18, 1987.

The reason for such injustices, believes Farida
Ahmed, are our flawed 'administrative and
procedural' measures. As a member of the Special
Committee constituted by the present National
Commission on the Status of Women (NCSW) to
review laws relating to women, her's was one of
the two dissenting votes against Committee's
recent recommendation that the Hudood laws be
repealed. The other dissenting vote came from Dr
Sher Zaman, Chairman of the Council of Islamic
Ideology.

The 17-member Committee was headed by retired
High Court Judge Majida Rizvi, who also headed
the now defunct NCSW; besides the members
mentioned above, it included members of the
Council of Islamic Ideology and religious
scholars, in addition to lawyers and retired
judges. The majority upheld the Committee's
recommendation that the Hudood laws be repealed.

As expected, the recommendation once again
ignited the ongoing 20-year old debate about the
Hudood laws. Veiled Muttahida Majlis-e-Amal (MMA)
women demonstrated in Islamabad against the NCSW
recommendation, and in favour of retaining the
Hudood laws. The NWFP Assembly passed a unanimous
resolution condemning the NCSW recommendation as
part of the 'conspiracy against Islam'. Men and
women activist groups demonstrated in Islamabad
and Karachi in support of the NCSW, and against
the Hudood laws.

Such demonstrations have been taking place on and
off for years. But until now, the related
reportage and debate was limited mostly to the
print media -- especially English and Sindhi
publications. Now, for the first time television
in Pakistan covered the issue, thanks to the
private channels that have recently emerged.

But two decades of a lack of public debate has
contributed to the continuing misconceptions
about these laws. People often assume that they
are Islamic, and therefore justified. But, as the
women's rights activist Nasreen Azhar boldly
stated on a talk show recently, "Unfortunately,
when anything that is done in the name of Islam,
people keep quiet and are afraid to say
anything." (Capital Talk, Geo).

Many legal and religious experts are clear that
in any case, these laws do not fulfil the
criteria for providing justice under national,
international or religious law.

"If there are only administrative problems, it is
another matter," says retired Sindh High Court
judge Shaiq Usmani. "But there are flaws in the
very drafting and enactment of these laws."

His belief that the driving principle in the
religion of Islam is the provision of justice,
and therefore, any law which leads to injustice
cannot be in conformity with Islam, is shared by
many, including Justice Majida Rizvi.

"We studied each line, each word, of the Zina
Ordinance, to see whether those who drafted these
laws correctly interpreted religion, and applied
its principles," she says. "The majority of the
members were of the view that there are so many
flaws in these laws, that it would be impossible
to correct them. Therefore, we came to the
conclusion that these laws should be repealed,
and if the government really wants to enact
Hudood Laws, this should be done after a thorough
study, and after there is a debate in parliament
and in public to ensure that any such law is
actually in conformity with the injunctions of
Islam."

Like many others, she brushes aside the
suggestion that this is God's law, and cannot be
tampered with. "This is a man-made law, it was
brought in by presidential ordinance, without any
parliamentary debate," she asserts.

Dr Aslam Khaki, a Supreme Court lawyer and
honorary counsel to the Federal Shariat Court,
agrees. A product of madrassah education himself,
he unhesitatingly cites the relevant Quranic
verse or hadith when crossing swords with the
self-appointed custodians of Islam. "The motive
behind these laws was political, not religious,"
he states. "Gen. Ziaul Haq had come into power
after toppling a popularly elected government,
and he had to justify his act. The slogan of
Islamisation was convenient for this purpose."

Groundwork for this step had already been laid.
In a bid to pander to the religious lobby, Prime
Minister Z.A. Bhutto had already outlawed
gambling, horse-racing and the sale of alcohol to
non-Muslims, instituted Friday as the weekly
holiday instead of Sunday and allowed the Ahmedis
to be constitutionally declared as non-Muslims.
Rather than achieving support from the
conservatives, each step only encouraged them to
demand more -- rather like the camel who started
out by putting a hoof in the tent, and ending up
by ousting the tent's owner and taking over the
entire tent.

The 'elections in 90 days' promised to the nation
by the initially obsequious Gen. Zia turned into
eleven long years. The war against Communist USSR
in neighbouring Afghanistan provided yet more
fodder for the 'Islamisation' plan, and extending
the general's stint in power with Washington's
blessings.

It was against this backdrop, with political
opposition decimated by repressive policies
against activists that included whipping,
torture, and executions, and the religious lobby
firmly by his side, that Gen Zia played havoc
with the constitution -- in the name of Islam.

This havoc included the Hudood laws, introduced
by presidential ordinance in 1979, and enforced
in 1980. They deal with four kinds of offences
that would from now be liable to 'hadd' (extreme)
punishment, while the fifth part pertains to the
punishment to be administered for these offences.

The offences, as defined by the new law, are
Offences against Property (crimes of theft and
armed robbery); Offence of Qazf (bearing false
witness or making false accusations); Prohibition
(drug trafficking and alcohol consumption); and
Offence of Zina (rape, abduction of women and
zina or adultery).

The fifth part of Ordinance, dealing with the
punishment, is Execution of the Punishment of the
Whipping Ordinance.

Two sets of punishments are provided by these
laws, hadd and tazir. Hadd punishment can only be
administered on confession of the accused or if
the act has been witnessed by four adult Muslim
males who are truthful and abstain from major
sins. Non-Muslims can only bear witness where the
accused is also a non-Muslim, and the testimony
of women is thus excluded by default.

"So if a crime is committed in a place where
there are only women, the rapist or thief can't
be brought to justice, because the only witnesses
are women. What kind of justice is that?" asks
Justice Majida Rizvi. "Are they trying to say
that Islam does not recognise women as witnesses,
when the murderers of Hazrat Usman were caught on
the evidence of just one woman?"

Recommendations of the 1997 report

The NCSW's recommendation to repeal the Hudood
laws made echoes the recommendation by another
government-instituted commission, the 1997 Report
of the then Commission of Inquiry for Women,
chaired by Supreme Court Judge, Nasir Aslam Zahid
-- who was also on the recent Committee.

While the present Commission's report is yet to
be made public, the 1997 Report notes that
earlier, under the Pakistan Penal Code, adultery
was a personal crime -- complaints could only be
made by the husband of the adulteress, but
females could not be punished under this law. The
offence was compoundable and bailable, and if the
complainant dropped the charges, criminal
proceedings were automatically dropped. The
punishment was five years or a fine, or both. The
state could not be a party.

The Report summarises the reasoning behind this
leniency: the authors of the PPC argued that
within the prevalent feudal and patriarchal
social structures, women were rarely in total
control of their lives and actions.

"Making them liable to willing adultery in such
unequal circumstances, where even the false hint
of it would doom the women to life, would
frequently amount to injustice. Besides, the very
criminal liability of a woman would have the
effect of enlarging the circumstances of her
victimization, since she would then be open to
blackmail, to threats of her implication in
willing acts of zina. Finally, it was thought
that such a provision would lead to the
traditional rules and norms being made even more
inhibiting for women and raise the level of their
social oppression and of familial control of
their lives. Thus the writers of the Penal Code
concluded that they would not throw into a scale
already loaded against women, the additional
weight of the penal law.

"Their apprehensions proved only too true after
the Ordinance came in. In the pre-Zina Ordinance
period, there were only a handful of reported
cases of adultery. As soon as the law was changed
to include women within the scope of its
punishment, allegations of zina started to run
into thousands. This clearly indicates that as
long as it was only the male who could be
punished for adultery, there was a reluctance to
prosecute. The Ordinance became a tool in the
hands of those who wished to exploit women."
(1997 Report of the Commission of Inquiry for
Women, p. 65-66).

_____

[3.]