SACW | 8 Oct. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Oct 8 16:43:08 CDT 2003

SOUTH ASIA CITIZENS WIRE  |  8 October,  2003

Announcements:
a)  The SACW web site is currently down, users
are invited to use Google cache till further
notice.
b) 'South Asia Counter Information Project' a
back-up, archive area and sister site of SACW can
be accessed at: http://perso.wanadoo.fr/sacw/
c) All  SACW and associated list members in India
wanting to consult web sites at  groups.yahoo.com
(that are still being blocked) should browse via:

+++++

[1] Sri Lanka: Rewarding Tyranny: Undermining the
Democratic Potential for Peace (UTHR)
[2] Myth of People's Power: Relations between India and Pakistan (Mubarak Ali)
[3] Pakistan: Mental illness on the rise
[4] Pakistan riots after assassination of fascist  (edits + reports)
[5] India, Pak In Roguish Duel - Pull back from the brink now! (Praful Bidwai)
[6] A boat for peace - and more (Feroze Ahmed)
[7] India: Gujarat - ... requires remorse and
justice to be vibrant again (B.G. Verghese)
by B. G. Verghese
[8] India: Jhatka vs halal: Sikh body raises meaty issue (Manpreet Randhawa)
[9] India: Upcoming event: Reaching the Real India  -  student exposure program
[10] India: Upcoming Event: ANHAD Workshop Schedule - 3 day event in Udaipur
[10] Net Censorship continues in India:
A Letter to India's Minister for Info. Tech and
to the Minister for Communications (MJ Jowher)

--------------

[1.]

University Teachers for Human Rights
Special Report No: 17

Date of release: 7th October 2003

REWARDING TYRANNY: UNDERMINING THE DEMOCRATIC POTENTIAL FOR PEACE

                                                     Summary

This latest report by UTHR(J) examines grave
contradictions between the rhetoric of
peacemaking in Sri Lanka over the past 21 months
and its reality.  UTHR(J) contends that while the
LTTE leaders were honing their diplomatic skills
abroad, their cadres were carrying out their
orders for military and political expansion,
terrorising opponents and sowing communal discord
at home.

Special Report 17, Rewarding Tyranny: Undermining
the Democratic Potential for Peace, provides
documentary evidence of the LTTE's continued
abuse of civilians: killing of political
opponents, violence against Muslims and
conscription of children, and shows the
destabilizing effect of these activities on Sri
Lankan society.  Communal violence is on the
rise, and party and inter-party squabbles at the
parliamentary level are growing increasingly
bitter.  The report warns that the LTTE's
concurrent military build up and strategic
deployment threatens not only Sri Lankan
security, but the security of the region.

UTHR(J) remains critical of the continued
"appeasement" policy towards the Tigers,
practiced most strenuously by the UNP and Norway
but also embraced by other international and
local institutions.  The strategy, no doubt
intended to persuade the LTTE to continue to
engage in talks, has also encouraged its utter
disregard for international norms.

As the new report notes: "the course of the
'peace process' tells its own story very
clearly:"

*	In December 2002 in Oslo, LTTE spokesman
Anton Balasingam claimed that the LTTE had
embraced human rights norms as a basis for talks,
and pledged to "allow other political parties and
groups to participate in the democratic
politics."  Meanwhile in the east, murder and
abduction of LTTE's opponents and child
conscription intensified.

*	In Hakone talks in March both the LTTE
and the Government of Sri Lanka (GoSL) subverted
Mr. Ian Martin's proposals for independent
international human rights monitoring - the only
way to effectively ensure that the rights under
discussion would actually be protected.

*	Having boycotted the aid pledging
conference in Tokyo, the LTTE also rejected the
Tokyo Declaration of 10th June 2003 that tied
support for the peace process to human rights,
democracy and pluralism.

*	Four days later, as though to signal its
contempt for the Declaration, the LTTE
assassinated its most potent political opponent,
T. Subathiran who was an embodiment of the
principles outlined in the Declaration. By this
time, members of the international community were
in a quandary. They had almost stopped talking
about democracy and human rights, so intent had
they been on encouraging the peace process.

*	By mid-July2003 the LTTE had successfully
changed the terms of debate.  It renewed its
early demand for an Interim Administration for
the North-East on terms that would in effect
confer on it unchecked power in exchange for
continued participation in negotiations. It
demanded control over not only economic matters,
as proposed by the Sri Lankan government, but
also policing and judicial services.  The LTTE is
not waiting for any constitutional settlement
involving the whole of Sri Lanka. Its blueprint
for a hierarchy of councils reaching down to the
villages, and having the leader at the apex, is
already in circulation.

  Child Soldiers:

Contrary to all expectations of the agreement
signed with the UNICEF to oversee the
demobilization of child soldiers, the LTTE has
once again intensified its conscription
programme, renewing its demand for one child per
family in several eastern districts, while making
aggressive intrusions upon school children in the
North.  In Batticaloa the SLMM received on
average 5 complaints of child conscription every
week during the first three weeks of September
from parents brave enough to come forward.
Reports on the ground suggest further
intensification subsequently.

  Political Opponents:

Democratic opponents and their families, (and
others long out of politics) continue to be
targets of LTTE violence. The report documents
the cases of at least twelve murders and seven
unresolved "disappearances" of persons abducted
by the LTTE in August and September.  Several
serious assaults resulting in injuries serious
enough to require hospitalization were also
reported.

Muslims:

LTTE violence against Muslims and constraints
imposed by the Tigers on Muslim economic
activities are creating a dangerous situation in
eastern Sri Lanka. Muslim anger erupted in April
and August in Mutur in the face of provocations
by the LTTE that left 9 Muslims and 4 Tamils dead
and substantial property destroyed in both
communities with Muslims suffering
disproportionately. In related incidents 2
Muslims were killed in Sammanthurai and 2
disappeared in Valaichchenai.  In the wake of the
violence, the LTTE increased the pressure by
banning Tamils in Mutur and the surrounding
villages from trading with the Muslims for a time
and constricting their economic life in general.
In August, Muslim leaders demanded government
protection after at least 28 deaths and the
disappearances of Muslims since the beginning of
the peace process.

The September press indicated that some Muslim
youths were gravitating towards militancy, and
had sought to procure arms to protect their
communities.  Clearly vigilante activity in Mutur
showed that the violence was more organized than
it had been previously and this is troubling. But
one fact stands out: from the start of the
cease-fire up to May 2003, guns had only been
used by Tamils. The agents who used them were
members of the LTTE, either regulars or
vigilantes, and they did so with LTTE backing.
The first time Muslim vigilantes used a gun
against a Tamil was when Gunam Subaraj was shot
on 4th August 2003 in apparent retaliation for
the murder the previous day of a police officer
who had served in intelligence.    Prior to that
Muslim militant activity in Mutur was largely
that of street fighters and market thugs
responding to LTTE provocation.

Abuse of vulnerable groups in the North-East by
the LTTE continues unabated. It is time for
Norway and others who wish to bring peace to the
island to rethink their superficial notion of
peacemaking. Ignoring the democratic potential
within the community, and preserving a temporary
absence of war while enthroning exclusive
ideological movements or ignoring systematic
violations will in the end undermine the process.
Experience has shown again and again that
accountability for the past and present should be
instilled in some way as a norm of any process to
achieve lasting peace

[THE FULL TEXT IS AVAILABLE AT:
http://www.uthr.org/SpecialReports/spreport17.htm

____

[2.]

SACW
October 7, 2003

MYTH OF PEOPLE'S POWER:
RELATIONS BETWEEN INDIA AND PAKISTAN

by Mubarak Ali

Believing that the ruling classes of India and
Pakistan are not interested to improve relations,
some individuals and organizations have made
attempts to initiate people to people's dialogue
with the hope to pressurize their respective
governments to improve relations and end the
tension. The question is that how powerful are
people in both countries to change policies of
their governments and force them to reframe their
agenda based on good neighbourly relations. We
all know that people can play important and
useful role in democratic societies and only when
there are deep rooted and strong democratic
institutions in their political structure. Even
in such societies, state media manufactures
public opinion. Recently we have seen that how
using lies and falsehood people in Europe and
America are misled by their leaders. Those who
were aware of this falsehood and organized big
rallies to express their displeasure failed to
prevent invasion and occupation of Iraq.

In case of India and  Pakistan the situation is
quite different. Pakistani people, mostly in
absence of democracy, have no role to play in
politics. In the corridor of power their voice is
not heard. Pakistani ruling elite behaves, like
the colonial masters, as the mai bap of people
and protect them by undertaking all decisions in
the national interest. In return they are
expected to obey and be ready to sacrifice their
lives for the sake of their country. In India
where there is democracy, people have right of
vote. After exercising this right, their role
comes to an end. On both sides, ruling classes
mobilize people's emotion against each other in
the name of patriotism and use them for their
political and personal interests.

How people are treated when they visit each
other's country? Those who are in the category of
people, they know it well. Once they approach to
the High Commission building for visa, they are
welcomed by host of intelligence agencies whose
agents ask all types of questions just to harass
them. If they get a visa, there is specific
condition either to travel by train, by bus, or
by air. Once mode of travel is written on the
form, it is very difficult to change it. Further,
they are permitted to visit only limited number
of cities. Rest of the country is banned for
them. If somebody tries to violate it, he is
immediately imprisoned as a spy. Then, there is
police reporting, because every Indian or
Pakistani is treated as a potential threat to
both countries, therefore, their agencies regard
it their national duty to observe his/her
movements.
There is a personal experience of police
reporting. In 1997, I visited along with my
family. We are told that we were exempted from
police reporting, a great privilege if somebody
gets it. However, on our way back, the
immigration officer detected that we were all
exempted from police reporting except my wife.
The officer asked her to stay back and complete
police reporting procedure. In spite of our
request to reconsider his decision, he refused.
There is no space for understanding in such
cases. My wife had to stay back and returned
after a week. We were lucky that we had friends
who looked after her. If this happened to
somebody coming from south India or some other
far off city, how could he/she face this problem?

Personally, I have more experiences of police
reporting. Once I was invited by Teesta Setelvad,
the editor of Communalism Combat to Mumbai to
attend a conference on South Asian history. She
applied to the concerned ministries for clearance
and telephoned them nearly 50 times. I was lucky
to get visa just on time for 4 days with police
reporting. I was lucky that Teesta had connection
in the city and completed police reporting on my
behalf. Otherwise, I had to spend half of my time
to police reporting and half in participating
seminar Another personal experience, not of
police reporting but security clearance: in 2001,
Nehru Museum and Library selected me for a senior
fellowship and sent my case for clearance to
Interior, Foreign, and Cultural ministries. So
far, there is now news about clearance.
On the other side if an Indian visits Pakistan,
how he and his host face problems, is not
interesting but irritating. First of all, the
Indians (and the Pakistanis in India, it is tit
for tat policy) cannot stay in cantonment areas.
A clear indication that they are treated as enemy
and not allowed to visit sensitive places. Then
different agencies watch his movements and
inquire about his activities. Again, I have some
experience inviting Indian scholars for lectures.
These lectures were always open and announcement
was made in the newspapers. It was usual custom
that after every lecture came men belonging to
different agencies and asked about the speaker
and content of his speech. Once I got three
history books from India. Next day came people
from Special Branch asking me that who sent me
these books and why? Sometime, it is difficult to
satisfy their queries. They inquired about my
date of birth, about my education, employment,
and about my family. And this exercise was
repeated several times. On one occasion when I
told the persons that all such questions have
already been asked and you must have in your
file. His reply was simple that what other had
asked was their duty and he was doing his. At one
time I became so popular in the Special Branch
that whenever Indian scholars visited Lahore,
they rang me and inquired about them. Not
bothering whether I knew them or not.

Recently an Indian journalist from the 'Asian
Age' came to see me. I surprised that next day
there were two gentlemen from Special Branch
asking me about the journalist. Surprisingly,
they are very efficient in this respect. So, the
question is that keeping this, how somebody can
keep friendship with the Indians? If my telephone
is tapped; if my post is censored; and if my
movement is observed because I have friendly
relation with the Indians. How could we, the
people, change the attitude of our ruling classes?

______

[3.]

[Probably a higher rise in India ....]

o o o

Dawn, October 6, 2003 | Editorial

MENTAL ILLNESS ON THE RISE

The abnormally high rise in the number of suicide
cases in the country is alarming. In 1996, there
were 153 suicides reported. This figure jumped to
3,100 in 2002. According to the World Health
Organization, approximately one million people
commit suicide across the globe annually, of
which 10 per cent of suicides take place in South
Asia. A recent seminar on mental health was told
that suicide is a complex issue for which no
single cause or rationale could be cited. In
Pakistan, one of the main reasons for suicides is
the despair and depression caused by lack of
employment. Statistics indicate that most victims
in this category are men under the age of 35. But
more worrisome is the revelation that on the
whole, most suicide victims in Pakistan are
women. While some of these women put an end to
their lives on account of domestic disputes, a
large portion resorts to suicide because of
mental illness.
Mental health in Pakistan is an area that has
been long neglected. Experts also say that the
social fabric of Pakistani society itself is
changing and this cannot be ignored as a factor
in the rise of suicide cases. In the past
decades, the great cushion against depression was
the institution of family support. Owing to a
number of reasons, this is not that readily and
widely available any longer. In the West, where
the lack of family support is more evident, help
is at hand in other forms. In the absence of a
professionally run system in Pakistan to cope
with the demands for this form of specialized
care, a number of people fall victim to their own
circumstances. More attention obviously needs to
be paid to a support system for people suffering
from mental or psychological problems.

______

[4.]

[Editorials + News Reports ]

DAWN. October 7, 2003  | Editorial

Azam Tariq's murder

The killing of Maulana Azam Tariq and his four
associates in Islamabad in broad daylight
yesterday comes as a stark reminder of the
violence that strains the fabric of society and
poses a formidable threat to Pakistan's internal
security.
In 1997 also, Maulana Tariq was targeted in an
attack in Lahore which had killed 23 people but
he had escaped with injuries. He led the
Sipah-i-Sahaba Pakistan, which was among the
extremist and sectarian organizations banned last
year.
Maulana Tariq was himself in jail at the time of
the general election, but was elected to the
National Assembly from Jhang as an independent
candidate. He then sought to mend fences with the
government by offering his support to the PML-Q,
and was released on bail.
Regardless of the identity of the killers, the
condemnable attack in the heart of the capital's
high-security environment should serve as a
wake-up call for the law enforcement agencies,
who now need to be on alert to tackle any
repercussions that it may have in the form of
more violence.
The assassination has come on the heels of the
killing of six people in Karachi last week in
what the police described as a sectarian
incident, and the need for vigilance is great all
over the country. It must be emphasized that
sectarianism does not have popular roots in
Pakistan and the violence associated with it is
confined to small groups of misguided and
motivated zealots, who must not be allowed to
hold public order hostage to their criminal
designs aimed at creating disruption in the
country.

o o o

The Daily Times, October 8, 2003

EDITORIAL: Maulana Azam Tariq 1962-2003
Maulana Azam Tariq, chief of the defunct Sipah
Sahaba (renamed Millat Islamiya), has been shot
down on the road to Islamabad. This was a death
most foretold in the history of Pakistan. He had
been attacked about 20 times in the past,
narrowly escaping death in the 1997 bombing at
the Lahore courts, which killed the then Sipah
Sahaba chief Ziaur Rehman Farooqi. A number of
cities have responded with fury to his death and
there is a great fear of the cycle of sectarian
revenge killings to resume. The death of Azam
Tariq has come in the wake of the murder of five
Shia employees of SUPARCO in Karachi on Saturday
and two earlier Shia carnages in Quetta two
months ago. The government seemed to ignore the
real source of these evil deeds while declaring
that the killings in Quetta could be the work of
RAW. No one else thought so, including the Shia
community of Quetta which actually named Sipah
Sahaba and its aligned jihadi organisations as
the killers.
Sectarian violence was not unknown in Pakistan
but it was given its gory aspect by one Maulana
Haq Nawaz of Jhang who cropped up in the early
1980s as a great ideological opponent of the
Iranian Revolution. Helped by the proximity of
his seminaries to the Arab hunting parties in
Rahimyar Khan, he began what can be termed the
most blatant campaign of abuse against Imam
Khomeini. He was killed in 1990, after which his
pupils struck down the Iranian consul in Lahore.
The secret spread of the sectarian creed of Haq
Nawaz Jhangvi can be fathomed from the deaths
that followed: one more Iranian consul killed in
Multan followed by a group of Iranian military
trainees on deputation to Pakistan in Rawalpindi.
Azam Tariq who was a young firebrand from a
Karachi seminary had been chosen by Jhangvi to
organise his overtly sectarian party demanding
that the Shia community in Pakistan be declared
non-Muslims.
After the murder of Iranian diplomats, Sipah
Sahaba got its killers to form another group
named Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, and began publicly
dissociating itself from it. No one really
believed it, least of all the Shia victims of
Quetta who clearly named Sipah Sahaba,
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Jaish-e-Muhammad as the
culprits. Maulana Azam Tariq always declared that
his party was not linked to the Lashkar, but when
the killer of the Iranian diplomat Sadiq Ganji
was to be hanged he initiated an international
campaign to get him pardoned. The Jaish
connection was also never in doubt considering
that the Jaish chief Masood Azhar too was a
devotee of Maulana Jhangvi and served the master
together with Azam Tariq. That the jihad in
Kashmir and the second jihad in Afghanistan were
planned and fought in partnership with Sipah
Sahaba was proved when Masood Azhar, just out of
the Indian jail, wanted to form a new militia
with the name of Lashkar-e-Muhammad and was
dissuaded from doing so by his 'handlers' because
it sounded too much like Lashkar-e-Jhangvi.
Finally, as Jaish-e-Muhammad, it emerged as a
major fighting outfit in Held Kashmir with clear
financial links to Osama bin Laden who sent Umar
Sheikh down to help Jaish out after Masood
Azhar's movement in the country was restricted by
the government in the wake of a spate of killing
of Shia doctors in Karachi in 1997. Umar Sheikh
is under death sentence for killing an American
journalist, Daniel Pearl.
The people of Pakistan are not sectarian.
Sectarianism exists among the clergy who write
the most scurrilous books against each other,
inciting their followers to resort to violence.
Money from abroad has also played a part in what
can be called a proxy war that has savaged
Pakistan's civil society. Politicians are to
blame too, because they did not ban or at least
disqualify from politics such an overtly
sectarian organisation. Maulana Azam Tariq was
elected twice to the National Assembly while his
party was a partner in the not-too-reputable
Wattoo government in 1993. That was the year of
unprecedented violence against the Shias, which
caused the formation of similar violent
organisations from the other side of the
sectarian divide. After all this, Azam Tariq was
again elected to the Punjab Assembly in 1997. In
the 2002 elections, while in jail, he was allowed
to take part by the Election Commission 'by
mistake' and the government is now in court
against his election because his party had been
'declared terrorist and banned' by the UN
Security Council. It developed that after his
disputed election he distanced himself from his
natural habitat, the MMA, and decided to support
the Jamali government in the National Assembly.
Had he been disqualified, his life could have
been saved.
Maulana Azam Tariq fought his 2002 election from
jail and won it. It is said that he did not join
the MMA because the Shia leader Sajid Naqvi, his
party also banned, was a member of it. Most
probably the next leader will be Maulana Ali Sher
Haideri as the last remaining pupil of the great
sectarian cleric, Maulana Haq Nawaz Jhangvi. Will
sectarian violence end now that its most powerful
proponent has been done to death? Most observers
who know the sectarian network in Pakistan will
say no. A new cycle of murder and mayhem may in
fact have begun now. A glimpse of it was seen on
TV channels when thousands of Sipah followers
expressed their grief and anger at his death.
Following his funeral in Islamabad on Tuesday,
mobs went on the rampage setting fire to a
mosque, cinema and petrol pumps.

o o o

Pakistan riots after militant killed (BBC)
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3170052.stm

Sectarian riots grip Jhang city (PakTribune.com)
http://www.paktribune.com/news/index.php?id=40698

The Praful Bidwai Column
October 6, 2003
--
INDIA, PAK IN ROGUISH DUEL:
PULL BACK FROM THE BRINK NOW!

By Praful Bidwai

Less than six months after Prime Minister Atal
Behari Vajpayee held out "the hand of friendship"
to Pakistan from Srinagar, the rather hesitant
and wobbly bilateral "peace process" all but lies
in tatters. The two South Asian rivals are back
to sabre-rattling. Three recent developments
underscore the heightened danger that
India-Pakistan hostility could take on malign
forms: the exchange of venomous rhetoric at the
United Nations General Assembly; accelerated
preparations in both countries towards the actual
deployment of nuclear weapons; and intensified
skirmishes, including ambushes and killing of
soldiers, in the Rajouri sector of the Jammu and
Kashmir border.

This last has a particularly grisly character.
According to The Hindustan Times, Pakistani
troops "walked across" the border last month.
"They ambushed a Jat Regiment patrol and killed
four troopsŠThey chopped off the head" of a dead
Indian soldier and carried it back as a trophy.
In ghastly, ferocious retaliation, the Jat
Regiment "shot dead nine Pakistani soldiers. And
for gruesome impact [they] brought back the heads
of two Pakistani soldiers."

I find the episode utterly repulsive and
nauseating. Killing enemy soldiers is legally
permitted only when war is declared. In no other
circumstances do soldiers enjoy immunity under
international law for using force. Killing
casually is illegal and unacceptable.  And
mutilating bodies or chopping off parts of them
is downright barbaric. Such medieval practices
are impermissible in a minimally civilised
society--no matter how grave the provocation and
how disgusting the adversary's conduct. Lt-Gen
Satish Nambiar, who commanded UN troops in the
Balkans, says: "Even in Yugoslavia, I did not
hear [of] such things."

Contrary to the trivial and rather silly adage,
everything is NOT fair in (love or) war. There
are clearly defined rules of warfare, about whom
you can legitimately attack and what methods you
can use.  Non-combatant civilians must not be
targeted. The use of force must not be
indiscriminate or disproportionate. Inhuman or
cruel methods are banned. Even prisoners of war
have to be treated humanely. The rules, embodied
in international humanitarian law and the Geneva
Conventions, are legally enforceable. Their
violations can invite severe penalties--as
happened to Nazi war-criminals and is likely to
happen to the perpetrators of the Rwanda and
Bosnia genocides. India and Pakistan have both
disgraced themselves by resorting to such
ghoulish practices. This shakes one's faith in
their leaders' maturity and ability to control
their subordinates in the battlefield. It also
lends credibility to hair-raising scenarios of
devastating nuclear exchanges between India and
Pakistan, whether accidental, unauthorised, or
deliberate. The very least the two armies can do
is to court-martial the culprits--and demonstrate
that some acts are utterly unacceptable and
un-doable.

Less ghastly but much more politically damaging
was the free flow of abuse and recrimination
between Mr Vajpayee and President Pervez
Musharraf in New York. On September 25, Gen
Musharraf launched a broadside against India for
its "brutal suppression of the Kashmiris' demand
for self-determination and freedom from Indian
occupation". In a tit-for-tat reply, Mr Vajpayee
assailed him for using "cross-border terrorism"
as "a tool of blackmail". He also accused Gen
Musharraf of having made "a public admission that
Pakistan is sponsoring terrorism Š After claiming
that there is an indigenous struggle in Kashmir,
he has offered to encourage a general cessation
of violence Š in return for 'reciprocal
obligations and restraints'." Both leaders
questioned each other's credentials to hold
responsible positions in international
organisations. Pakistan placed India among
"states which occupy and suppress other peoples,
and defy the resolutions of the [Security]
Council". And Indian leaders dismissed these
remarks as "rubbish" and the result of Pakistan's
"annual itch" on Kashmir. Each accuses the other
of being the "fountainhead" or "mother" of
terrorism and of being "bloody-minded".

Evidently, Gen Musharraf miscalculated the mood
of the international community by harping on
Kashmir's "liberation struggle" without
condemning indiscriminate violence by separatist
militants, themselves aided and abetted by
Islamabad. Pakistan is today under America's
critical scrutiny. As The New York Times put it,
"Pakistan's behaviour has fallen well short of
what Americans are entitled to expect from an
ally in the war on terrorism". If Gen Musharraf
doesn't behave,  "America must look for ways to
reduce its dependence" on him. But Mr Vajpayee
conducted himself with no maturity or dignity by
descending to abysmally bellicose rhetoric to
match the General. Indian officials have tried to
rationalise Mr Vajpayee's fusillade by pointing
out that Gen Musharraf fired the first shot. This
is as unconvincing as it is irrational. What
matters is that India has tarnished its own
global image.

The venomous India-Pakistan exchange has left a
bitter taste and inflicted serious damage upon
the fragile and uncertain half-truce between the
two states. The most productive features of this
half-truce were growing and exuberant
people-to-people or civil society contacts. Ever
since the Lahore-Delhi bus service was resumed,
there have been any number of friendly visits of
citizens' delegations, businessmen,
schoolchildren, journalists and parliamentarians.
The most dramatic of these visits was little
Noor's trip to Bangalore for a heart surgery and
the explosion of goodwill it generated from a
wide cross-section of society. These contrasted
sharply with the reluctant and extremely guarded
official-level exchanges. Indeed, the two
governments have shown they are out of sync with
their own peoples' sentiments which strongly
favour peace and reconciliation. They, especially
Pakistan, are clamping down on citizens' visits
through the simple expedient of holding up visas.
The worst cases of such denial are the
cancellations of the visits of a jurists' and
lawyers' delegation and a high-powered Indian
businessmen's group.

Secondly, while Mr Vajpayee must be complimented
for his "hand-of-friendship" speech, he never
discussed his larger plans with his Cabinet or
party or prepared the government for peace. Nor
has taken the initiative further imaginatively.
The people negotiating normalisation have
remained deeply suspicious of one another. They
have for months quibbled over the sequence of
steps to be taken. Ambassador-level contacts were
restored and the bus service restarted. But there
has been no agreement on the resumption of air
and rail links or trade. India made restoration
of rail links conditional upon the resumption of
flights as well as free passage through airspace.
Pakistan, in turn, insisted that air links could
not be resumed unless India assures it that it
would not unilaterally suspend overflights, as it
did last year, and earlier, in the 1971
Bangladesh war. The talks collapsed.

New Delhi has gradually hardened its insistence
that there can be no dialogue with Pakistan until
"cross-border terrorism" is fully ended.
Islamabad has questioned India's willingness to
discuss Kashmir. Underlying the failure to
negotiate normalisation is deep-seated resentment
and suspicion on both sides, compounded by
domestic political considerations. It is as if
both states had become slaves to a compelling
degenerative logic, which militates against
reasonable behaviour. Both refuse to take
unconditional steps even although these won't
compromise their positions. It's as if both had
vowed to ensure that the existing half-truce
would collapse--by making self-fulfilling
prophesies of doom, and helping to realise them.

India and Pakistan are now perilously close to
the brink of yet another military confrontation
in their unrelenting half-century-long
hot-and-cold-war. Both are making furious
preparations to build new missiles and stockpile
fissile material and to deploy missiles. On
September 1, India's newly formed Nuclear Control
Authority held its first-ever meeting and took "a
number of decisions" on the further development
of the "strategic (nuclear) forces programme".
These decisions will "consolidate India's nuclear
deterrence". Reactively, just two days later,
Pakistan too held a meeting of its National
Control Authority. This decided to make
"qualitative upgrades" in its nuclear programme.

Since then, the Indian Defence Ministry has
confirmed that it will "operationalise" the
nuclear-capable intermediate-range Agni missile.
It has sanctioned the raising of two new missile
groups. Pakistan is believed to be more advanced
than India in the deployment-readiness of
missiles and is about to test-fly the Ghazanavi.
Both countries now have a variety of missiles
capable of carrying nuclear warheads and reaching
each other's cities in less than 10 minutes.
There are no worthwhile crisis-prevention and
-diffusion, or confidence-building measures in
place between India and Pakistan. They are
suspicious of each other's nuclear doctrines and
repeatedly resorted to nuclear blackmail both
during the Kargil war and last year's 10
months-long eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation
involving one million troops.  Amidst all this,
India is reportedly building two special bunkers
to protect the Union Cabinet in the event of a
nuclear strike which could decimate its political
leadership. One bunker is being built right
within South Block, in the heart of Delhi, which
houses the Prime Minister's Office and the
Defence and External Affairs Ministries.

This doesn't highlight security for the Cabinet,
but the total lack of security for the 15 million
ordinary citizens who live in the Capital. They
could become victims of a nuclear holocaust
within minutes of a decision made across the
border--a decision they cannot influence, leave
alone control. An ugly truth stares us all in the
face. The threat of Nuclear Armageddon is not
imaginary; it looms large over South Asia.-end-

The Hindu, Oct 08, 2003

A boat for peace - and more
By Feroze Ahmed

The Peace Boat activists disembark to a warm
welcome at the Chennai port on Tuesday. - Photo:
T.A. Hafeez

CHENNAI OCT. 7. Discussing Kashmir on ground has
been a rather pointless exercise. A Japanese
non-governmental organisation (NGO), the Peace
Boat, on its 43rd world voyage this year, has
roped in three activists, two of them from India
and one from Pakistan, to talk Kashmir on board
the ship. Listening to them were over 600 people,
mostly Japanese students.

The activists were all here today, addressing a
press conference on-board when the boat berthed
at the Chennai port en route to Colombo.

The first activist from India, Admiral Ramu
Ramdas, is a former Chief of the Naval Staff. "We
have no result from the three-and-a-half wars so
far," he said. His solution? To start with,
"convert the Line of Control into a line of
peace".

From Pakistan, it is Syed Jaffar Ahmed, a
political science scholar with the Pakistan
Studies Centre, Karachi University. He has a
10-point solution to the Kashmir issue. This
includes getting civil societies, including the
Kashmiri one, to interact among themselves and
address their respective governments, and keeping
the issue a strictly South Asian one that
requires a South Asian solution.

The third activist is Muhammad Altaf Khan of
Srinagar. In as sober a tone as possible, he
said: "For God's sake, declare a ceasefire." Over
60,000 people have been killed in Kashmir in the
past two years, over 7,000 have disappeared while
in the custody of the security forces, and over
three lakh Kashmiri Pandits are living as
refugees in their own land, he said. "If this
continues, India, Pakistan and Kashmir will still
be there, but there will be no Kashmiris. A
solution will come someday, but the killings
cannot go on till then."

Will their opinions make a difference? They do
not know. But their voices, floating on board
this peace mission, will carry far.

The Peace Boat was launched in the early 1980s by
a group of Japanese students when Japan tried to
censor the country's Wartime aggression from its
schoolbooks. About 150 students chartered a ship
and visited those places that had faced the
onslaught of the Japanese Imperial Army. In the
20 years since then, Peace Boat has participated
in various high-profile peace summits. It now has
a consultative status with the United Nations
Economic and Social Council. On its 44th mission,
the boat will bring participants to the World
Social Forum to be held in Mumbai in January.

The boat (www.peaceboat.org) , almost a luxury
liner, is managed by people on the "right" side
of 30. They have a whale of a time at sea playing
soccer, learning salsa, new languages, visiting
exotic countries, and every once in a while,
listening to and lecturing on peace.

Indian Express, October 08, 2003

GUJARAT'S GAURAV
THE STATE REQUIRES REMORSE AND JUSTICE TO BE VIBRANT AGAIN
by B. G. Verghese

Gujaratis are a vibrant people. Everybody favours
a Vibrant Gujarat as part of a Vibrant India. But
it does little service either to Gujaratis or
Indians generally to describe the 2002 holocaust
in Gujarat as a passing "aberration".

According to Deputy Prime Minister L.K. Advani
the "riots" were admittedly "sad and
unfortunate", even shameful. But "sustained
propaganda" about what had happened was hurting
the image of the state and the country.

Quite clearly, what the deputy prime minister and
home minister is again saying is that the
portrayal of the Gujarat episode has been grossly
exaggerated. (By whom? By the traumatised victims
still seeking justice? By the media, the
Opposition, the NHRC, the Minorities Commission,
the Supreme Court?) His lament is that a passing
lapse at worst is not being allowed to rest. Set
against the enormity of the tragedy, such a
suggestion is incomprehensible. Coming from the
home minister it is gravely disturbing. The
unintended pun is apt. Some 800 innocent persons
by official count and around 2000 by the more
probable unofficial count - or their severed
limbs and incinerated bones - were interred in
graves or cremated.

India's image is neither protected nor enhanced
by covering up for Narendra Modi, Pravin Togadia
and their ilk. All of them justified and
virtually glorified the horrors enacted while
continuing to spread venom and hatred in defiance
of the law. Modi, broadcasting over AIR on (was
it) Day Three, told the terrified victims that if
they wanted peace they should not seek justice.

Nothing could be more brazen. Other Hindutva
champions labelled the Gujarat happenings a
"successful experiment" even as the pre-election
Gaurav Yatra communicated a message of
triumphalism.

All this while, the Centre was silent and supine
while the home minister of India congratulated
Modi for his unparalleled achievement in more or
less restoring "normalcy" within 72 hours. What
happened within those 72 hours? Murder, mayhem,
arson, rape. Judges were attacked.

Ranking Muslim police officers were compelled to
tear off their ID badges as they were unsafe,
while others who stood their ground and did their
duty were summarily transferred - on "promotion"!
Two government offices in the Old Secretariat,
the Gujarat State Wakf Board and the Gujarat
Minorities Finance and Development Corporation,
were attacked and set on fire.

Muslim shops and establishments were selectively
targeted and a social and economic boycott of the
community enjoined. A large number of Muslim
shrines, graves and revered symbols of cultural
fusion and communal harmony were systematically
destroyed or desecrated.

The state government did not open a single relief
camp - and later forced their premature closure -
while senior ministers openly campaigned against
establishing camps in their neighbourhoods as it
might endanger their safety.

An aberration or calculated policy? There was a
clear breakdown of governance. Rajdharma was
preached only to be scorned and forgotten. The
Centre was finally pushed into promising to issue
directives to the state government under Article
355. It is not apparent that anything happened.
The fire was left to burn out, though the embers
of hate were kept alive. What else was the "Mian
Musharraf" campaign of calumny against the
Muslims? General Musharraf returned the
compliment by referring to Gujarat in his address
to the UN General Assembly. Every sensitive,
decent, democratic Indian was filled with shame.
Who has destroyed India's image and who is trying
to pass the buck?

The argument that the Gujarat killings were a
response to Godhra is specious and abhorrent. Do
innocents bear a vicarious liability for the
alleged crimes of their co-religionists? And, in
any event, what happened in Godhra awaits
confirmation.

The Supreme Court's stinging observations on the
Best Bakery case serve as a clear reminder that
things are still rotten in Gujarat. Were it that
that was the sole case of investigative failure
and mistrial. Not so.

FIRs have not been properly registered. Named
criminals remain at large or are "absconding"
even as they intimidate witnesses. POTA has been
selectively used. The payment of compensation for
loss of life, property and livelihood has been
totally unsatisfactory in a large number of
cases. There has been no recent accounting of
what happened to the Rs 150 crore special
compensation fund instituted by the prime
minister. What has happened?

The commission of inquiry into the Godhra-Gujarat
events continues to labour under Justice Nanavati
who has incidentally been unable to complete his
inquiry into the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, so long
awaited. Meanwhile some, like the former IAS
officer Harsh Mander, who continue to work
dedicatedly to bring succour to the distressed in
Gujarat and are striving to restore confidence,
trust and harmony, are beginning to feel hounded.
This is an ill omen.

Advani was discharged by a Rae Bareli court in
the Ayodhya case early in September. On September
28 he delivered his homily on Gujarat in
Ahmedabad. Three days earlier, it was reported
that an IAF MI-8 helicopter made an emergency
landing in a village field while on a sortie from
Jamnagar to Somnath.

On board were eight media persons said to be
accompanying the deputy prime minister and home
minister on what the reporter described as
Advani's annual tryst with the Somnath Temple.
This is where he launched his Rath Yatra in 1990,
the progenitor of much ensuing grief. Are IAF
aircraft to be commandeered for media witness of
personal piety and/or party political
commemorations?

The symbolism of the Somnath "tryst" will not be
missed. Gujarat surely needs a healing touch to
become whole and truly vibrant. This calls for
remorse, justice and reconciliation, not
exculpatory rhetoric or reluctant compliance with
the law that betrays grudging regard for common
humanity.

The Hindustan Times, October 7, 2003

Jhatka vs halal: Sikh body raises meaty issue
Manpreet Randhawa
Jalandhar, October 7

If the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee
(SGPC) has its way, all hotels, restaurants and
fast-food chains will soon have to carry displays
specifying the kind of meat they serve: halal or
jhatka.

SGPC honorary secretary Manjit Singh Calcutta has
said he would write to the Union government to
issue a notification in this regard because the
consumption of halal meat is strictly prohibited
for Sikhs.

"It is, in fact, one of the cardinal sins for a
Sikh to consume halal meat," said Calcutta. "In
case a Sikh does so, he has to be re-baptised.
Hence, it's important for eating joints to
display what meat is served".

Akal Takht Jathedar Joginder Singh Vedanti has
also taken note of the matter and called upon all
Sikhs to avoid consuming halal meat.

Arun, an official representing McDonald's here,
said the fast-food chain had been using halal
meat all over India. "We never knew its
consumption was prohibited for Sikhs," he said.
"Since the matter has come to our notice now, we
have decided to inform our headquarters in the
US. Once we receive a direction from them on
displaying the kind of meat we serve, it will be
done."

J.S. Grover of Nirula's, Delhi, said that most of
the non-vegetarian items at their outlets were
cut and processed with the help of machines.
"Hence, it's difficult to ascertain whether it's
halal or jhatka meat," he said. Grover added if
the Federation of Hotel and Restaurant
Association of India (FHRAI) issued guidelines in
this regard, he would abide by it.

FHRAI secretary general Sham Suri said since the
SGPC had decided to knock on the Centre's door,
the association would await an official
notification on the issue. So far, hotels,
restaurants and fast-food joints are governed by
the Prevention of Food Adulteration Act, said
Suri.

Meanwhile, the SGPC's stand has already found
sympathisers. "In Europe and other countries one
gets certified halal and jhatka meat so that
nobody's religious sentiments are hurt," says
G.S. Lamba, editor, Sant Sipahi magazine. "It is
shocking how the industry can be indifferent to
the sentiments of Sikhs."

Interestingly, the issue is not a new one. It is
learnt that on October 9, 1938, then MLA
Sampooran Singh, who was also a member of the
SGPC, had moved a resolution in the Punjab
assembly that all SGPC members must support the
Jhatka Bill.

Ninety-six SGPC members in the House had unanimously supported the resolution.

______

[9]   [ Reaching the Real India  -  student exposure program ]

Dear

Initiative is a newly formed team of social
activists, based in Mumbai. Our main objectives
are 1. to extend support to social movements in
their campaigns, publications, research and
documentation, and 2. to facilitate exposure
programs for college students and youths to
different social movements and places of
alternative experiments.

We would like to write to you on the student
exposure program (Reaching the Real India). This
will be held during this Deepawali vacations
(October 18 - November 2). Since this is our
first attempt and because of paucity of time and
resources, we are planning this only for 6
students from Mumbai and Thane.

The idea is to expose students to social
realities and build an organic link between the
students and the social movements in the country.
By this interaction we hope that both the
students and the movement will benefit.  The
three social movements where the students will be
sent are:

1. Narmada Bachao Andolan
2. Anti coca cola struggle and anti-sand mining struggle in Kerala
3. Co-operative movement by Tawa dam affected people, MP

The program is for 15 days with a prior
orientation on the issues and social movements,
led by senior activists and academicians. Each
student will be given a token honorarium and
actual travel expenses. The honorarium will be
Rs.800/- for the first exposure program. The
total budget for one student is Rs.3000/-. This
will involve expenses for orientation program,
documents / materials to be provided to the
students etc. We intend to raise the funds for
this exposure programs from sources within the
country.

As a friend we would like to appeal to you to
kindly help us in this endeavor, by supporting at
least one student. Or/and if you know any other
source where we can make this request kindly let
us know. Once the program is over, we would get
back to you with the report and the accounts of
the program.

With warm regards,

Joe Athialy / Maju Varghese

Initiative
C/o 202, Thakkur Prasad
V.N. Purav Marg
Sion- Chunabatti
Mumbai - 22 [India]
Phone: (022) 25292448

______

[9.]

ANHAD (Act Now for Harmony) WORKSHOP SCHEDULE

10, 11, 12 OCTOBER, 2003

Venue: Aastha , Udaipur [India]

10th Oct

9.30-11.0 Introduction-Apoorvanand
11.00-11.30-Tea
11.30-1.00-Formation of Identities, Identity
Politics and Rise of Communalsim-Dr. Purushottam
Agarwal
1.00-2.00pm -Lunch
2.00-3.30-Session continues
3.30-4.00 Tea
4.00-5.30-Different forms of Fascism-Apoorvanand
5.30-6.00 Tea
6.00-7.30 —FEEDBACK
7.30 Documentaries  Zulmaton ke daur Main, Junoon
ke Badhte Qadam by Gauhar Raza

11th Oct

9.30 onwards till 5.30 pm with lunch and tea breaks
Session I-IV Reality Unveiled—Dr. Ram Puniyani

Facts Vs Myths on:
·          Appeasement of Minorities
·          Anti Nationalism of Minorities
·          Demography of the nation [population of the minorities]
·          Conversion and Christian Missionaries
·          Godhra – the facts and falsities
·          Kashmir – the facts and falsities
5.30-6.00—Tea
6.00-7.30—FEEDBACK
7.00 onwards film Naseem by Saeed Mirza

12th Oct

9.30-10.30 Communal Cultural Politics-Dr. Nand Chaturvedi
10.30-11.00-Tea
11.00-1.00-Communalisation of Education, Gender Bias-Dr. Nandini Manjrekar
1.00-2.00pm -Lunch
2.00-3.30-Question of Civil Liberties, People’s
Issues versus Communal Politics-Dr.Trupti Shah
3.30-4.00 Tea
4.00-5.30-Interactive session with Dr. Nandini Manjrekar and Dr. Trupti Shah
5.30-6.00 Tea
6.00-7.30 —FEEDBACK and Discussion on Strategies
to Combat Communal and Fascist Politics
7.30 Film Zakhm by Mahesh Bhatt

ITS BUSINESS AS USUAL - INTERNET CENSORSHIP CONTINUES IN INDIA

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:00:21 +0530

Dear Sir,

This relates to the reported ban on the domain
<http://www.yahoo.com>www.yahoo.com [read
groups.yahoo.com]

Who are we hurting by blocking this web domain?
None but ourselves. If only you care to know how
a great number of Indian citizens and NGOs are
seriously affected by blocking this domain. And
fundamentally this kind of net-censoring is not
only undesirable but is completely
counter-prodcutive. There is no way effective
censoring of this kind is possible, there being
dozens of ways to circumvent it. The offensive
web-pages would be circulated via email much more
than would normally be visited.

We sincerely request you to rethink your policy
and remove this patently mindless ban. We care
for our nation no less than you do. In our wisdom
we find this action very damaging to our larger
national interests.

Yours sincerely,

M Hasan Jowher
SPRAT
[Society for the Promotion of Rational Thinking]

SF-8, Rajnagar Complex, Narayan Nagar Road,
Paldi, AHMEDABAD 380 007

Tel: +79-663 46 55 /66 /77 [1000-1800 Hrs - Office]
Tel: +79-661 40 95 / 20 45 [2000-2100 Hrs - Res]
Fax: +79-661 20 49
Web: <http://www.mysprat.org/>www.mysprat.org
e-mail: mhj at mysprat.org

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on
Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex). [Please
note the SACW web site has gone down, you will
have to for the time being search google cache
for materials]
The complete SACW archive is available at: http://sacw.insaf.net