SACW | 31 Aug. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Sun Aug 31 05:23:55 CDT 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  31 August,  2003

[1.] Need for UN's role in Indo-Pak impasse
[2.] 'India's civil society has failed Kashmiri society' (Parvez Imroz)
[3.] Sri Lanka: Two nations, one country: can both communities
co-habit? (Raj Gonsalkorale)
[4.] Islam and secularism: odd couple or partners?  (Dr Iftikhar H. Malik)
[5.] Shouting At Buildings: There may yet be occasion to celebrate
the passing of a very dark night  (Ruchir Joshi)
[6.] Bombay citizens rally against hate speech and for peace in Mumbai
[7.] 'Saffronisation' of Gandhi statue (Manas Dasgupta)
[8.] Radio Programme: On B. Premanand the rationalist gurubuster of India
[9.] 'Sue us if you wish, but sue the regulatory agencies too' (Sunita Narain)

--------------

[1.]

The News International [Pakistan], August 30, 2003

Need for UN's role in Indo-Pak impasse

John Connolly

The world watches India and Pakistan from afar. We applaud steps
toward reconciliation and we fear the times of crisis. In the 21st
century, war between these two great countries should be unimaginable
yet responsible leaders cannot ignore the unresolved issues,
especially Kashmir.

Given the well-known history between India and Pakistan, would it be
beneficial to augment the negotiating process with a formal plan that
will encourage compromise? There follows a proposal that both Indian
and Pakistani and leaders are asked to weigh. Either side could call
on the UN to adopt the following policy: If private negotiations
remain stalled between India and Pakistan, the UN will encourage
public negotiations. This plan, requiring full approval by the
Security Council, would result in the development of a new
international communication process by the UN

The central instrument of this process would be a short series of
perhaps twelve to sixteen-page magazine-size "challenge documents"
widely distributed within India and Pakistan and also to many world
capitals via a handful of national and international newspapers
and/or magazines. Simultaneous publication of these documents would
take place on an authorized web site.

Terms for such public negotiations might call for each side's initial
challenge document to include its interpretation of history, moral
arguments, core interests and negotiating positions. If both agree in
advance, each side's initial challenge document would be distributed
simultaneously. (More later on how this process would unfold without
an agreement.) Then, alternating every two weeks, each side would
proceed with its own challenge document, responding in the prescribed
format. Essentially, the UN would design the form of this new media,
while both India and Pakistan would present the substance of their
case before the world public within their own challenge document.

Should a foreign idea, especially one coming from America, be
considered by the people of India and Pakistan? It is affirmed that
this proposal is solely that of the author who has no involvement
with the US government. Proposing that the UN plays a role in the
creation of this communication structure runs entirely against
current US policy, which seeks to ignore or marginalize all
international institutions that are not directly controlled by the
US. Moreover, technological advances has made the resolution of the
dispute between India and Pakistan a world issue.

With these public talks, the majority of citizens on each side will
see more clearly than ever the stark and difficult compromises
necessary for an agreement. This will provide political cover for
leaders, who can then show their constituencies the complex and
detailed tradeoffs necessary to reach a settlement. In contrast,
leaders emerging from secret negotiations are vulnerable to
extremists who can portray one or two simple issues as a towering
betrayal by the leaders who negotiated that deal.

What of India's insistence on only direct bilateral negotiations with
Pakistan and no involvement of a third party? This is a direct
bilateral process. Moreover, it is not proposed nor anticipated that
the UN would be an arbiter or mediator for these public negotiations.
To the contrary, the UN's proposed role would simply be to create a
neutral communication structure. As a practical matter, if President
Musharraf called on the UN to create this large-scale conflict
resolution strategy, would it not be difficult for anyone to object
to another form of dialogue and engagement between India and Pakistan?

Although extremists on both sides will adamantly oppose this process,
the majority within each of these nations will see this as an
alternative to the violence of the extremists. The negotiating
tradeoffs will be difficult for both sides to accept but each society
will better understand the logic and rationale of their leaders - and
the other side's leaders - which in turn will tend to marginalize the
extremists.

What if one side initially refuses to participate? The other side
could proceed with its challenge documents absent any agreement. A
key motive to engage in this process would be to favourably influence
regional and world opinion. The motive for an adversary to respond in
kind would not be some vague notion of goodwill, but rather, to head
off erosion of public support. Refusal to take part in this public
peace process would also risk worldwide acceptance of an adversary's
interpretation of history.

Will people in the subcontinent and beyond be interested in these
documents? This direct and unfiltered source of news will constitute
a new media that will stand in sharp contrast to the many reports on
conflicts we have experienced for years. This process will generate a
wide range of media coverage including TV, newspapers,
magazines, radio and the Internet. People everywhere, recognizing the
life and death nature of these dramatic communiques, may find this
multifaceted perspective of enormous interest.

Encouraging both sides to make their cases in this defined format may
tempt some to manipulate their version of events. Nevertheless, this
direct and equal clash of opinions, in sharp contrast to propaganda,
has the potential to yield a greater public recognition of truth than
is otherwise possible in today's media environment.

If this public negotiating process culminates in a single document
signed by leaders in both India and Pakistan and then distributed
worldwide, confidence would increase that agreed-upon terms would be
adhered to. Similarly, confidence would increase that terms of an
agreement would not be reinterpreted in sharply divergent ways after
the fact. Personal trust between individual leaders would also become
less important because commitments would be spelled out for all sides
to witness. Indeed, a peace process that is less dependent on
personal trust between leaders would contrast sharply with all forms
of traditional negotiations including the peace conference.

Knowing that the eyes of the world will be focused directly on the
central details of this conflict will weigh heavily on all sides.
This precise phenomenon may exert much more pressure for the two
sides to compromise when compared with conventional secret talks.
Therein lies the central objection to this entire strategy - outside
pressure. Yet isn't the alternative stalemate and the continuation of
a dangerous confrontation between two nuclear-armed powers?

Envision the world reaction to a new series of narratives unlike any
we have ever seen. Every couple of weeks, prior to each new challenge
document, leaders from within India and Pakistan and also around the
world would be urging that side to take incremental steps towards the
position of the other. Once a momentum for peace is created by this
deliberate, step-by-step process, it could become unstoppable. Thus,
will Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and President Pervez
Musharraf call on the UN to encourage public negotiations if private
negotiations stall?

The writer is Executive Director, The Institute for Public Dialogue, US

john at ifpdialogue.com

_____

[2.]

Communalism Combat [Bombay, India]  | August - September, 2003 (10th
Anniversary Issue)

'India's civil society has failed Kashmiri society'

Parvez Imroz

Fourteen years ago, hundreds and thousands of Kashmiris came out on
the streets raising slogans of Azadi (freedom), which shocked the
government of India. Socio-political scientists started analysing the
causes behind this unexpected and unprecedented development.
Different reasons were put forth, such as the influence of the
successful Afghan jihad, the fall of the Berlin Wall and the
unification of the German Democratic Republic and Federal Republic of
Germany, the Balkanisation of the Soviet Union, rigged Kashmir
elections and the denial of democratic rights to the people of
Kashmir, coupled with the erosion of autonomy guaranteed to them
through the 1952 Delhi agreement.

One important reason given was the failure of secularism in India.
Kashmiris maintained communal harmony and protected the religious
minority in its midst even as the two communities, Hindus and
Muslims, were butchering each other in 1947, when two dominions,
India and Pakistan, came into being. This had prompted Mahatma Gandhi
into saying, "I see a ray of hope from Kashmir."

Inter alia, the treatment meted out to the largest minority community
in India did influence the Kashmiri psyche. Whenever there were
communal riots in India, it had an impact on Kashmiris. The Nelli
(Assam), Bhagalpur, Meerut communal riots, along with thousands of
other communal clashes that became a routine feature of Indian
society, became, no doubt, one of the prime factors for the armed
uprising in Kashmir.

Kashmiris as Muslims were not responsible for the partition of India
but were treated at par with Indian Muslims because of a common
religion. The treatment by the central government made Kashmiris
believe that they were being punished for not condemning the
two-nation theory at the time of Partition. A common Kashmiri, ruled
by regimes imposed by the government of India from time to time, had
to repeatedly prove his loyalty to the state, central governments and
central political parties.

The rise of extremist Hindu religious parties, which appeared on the
Indian national scene after the demolition of the Babri mosque,
further shook the faith of a section of Kashmiris who had reconciled
to their fate within the Indian Union. The majority of Kashmiris, as
a nation, were committed to the right of self-determination.

Some national political parties vied to promote the Hindutva agenda
on the national scene and this, along with the process of
saffronising the institutions in India, has further disillusioned the
minds of the Kashmiri people. The demolition of the Babri mosque on
December 6, 1992, by communal forces supported by the ruling
government, in a bid to transform a composite civilisation to fascist
Hindu Rashtra, was hailed not only by religious fanatics but also by
writers of international repute such as Nirad C Choudhary and VS
Naipaul.

Saffronisation is not confined to education alone. It has spread to
other institutions, including the supposedly apolitical Indian army,
as its officers now use the language of fascist Hindu nationalists.

In Kashmir Valley, the latest shock to the people was last year's
Gujarat carnage, in which 2,000-2,500 Muslims were butchered, their
property destroyed and extensive destruction caused to their places
of worship.

The gruesome killing of former member of parliament, Ehsan Jaffri,
inside his house, only conveys the message that whatever you are, you
can't be forgiven because of your religion. Nearly one hundred
thousand people fled their homes in the aftermath of the massacre. It
was a communal riot with a difference, because never before had the
administration or state machinery provided such tacit support to the
rioters.

Besides draining the Indian economy, the Kashmir conflict has
resulted in 34,790 Kashmiri deaths (official figures stated by
minister of Law & Parliamentary affairs, Abdul Rehman Veeri, in the
state assembly on June 21, 2003. Even on July 8, the Jammu & Kashmir
police admitted that 90,000 people of Kashmir had been killed in the
ongoing turmoil).

Thousands of youth have disappeared (official figures peg the number
at 3,931, unofficial estimates are close to 8,000) while other forms
of brutalisation of Kashmiris continue. The government of India has
now "gifted" them, for the first time, with free elections in 2002.
The elections, though free and fair, were not inclusive.

Though the politicians of India have publicly admitted that there
were a lot of wrongdoings in Kashmir and promised to set things right
if given a chance, nothing has changed and the public perception is
that nothing will change in the future either. Kashmiris still
believe that the Indian media, the federal government and the state
government have a discriminatory attitude towards the majority
community in the state and, despite the conflict and the suffering of
the people of Kashmir, nothing has been done regarding the guarantee
of political rights to them.

There are well-founded reasons behind these fears - the fear of
demographic change, the fear of loss of identity. For example,
according to an official census report, during last year's election,
voter strength in Jammu was shown as having increased by 28.46%
between '96-'02, as against an increase of 7.37% in Kashmir. This is
in sharp contrast to census data for 2001, which shows the population
in Kashmir Valley as having risen by 73% (1.5 million) between 1981
to 2000, compared to 60% in Jammu (35,000) over the same period.

The discriminatory approach continues in political appointments as
well as in the payment of relief and other rehabilitation measures.
The Gujarat government was fair to reduce the ex-gratia relief to the
Godhra victims, from Rs. 2 lakh to 1 lakh, to bring them on par with
the other victims of the genocide, since it had earlier decided that
Rs. 2 lakh would be paid to the victims of Godhra.

On the other hand, in Kashmir, Neha, one of the victims of the
massacre of Pandits at Wenham, was paid ex-gratia to the tune of Rs.
20 lakh by the central government, from the PM's relief fund, in
addition to the relief paid by the state. However, in a similar case,
that of Allaudin Sheikh (a minor girl whose entire family was wiped
off), where the State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) had recommended
relief of Rs. 10 lakh, the amount was never paid.

In the case of Shabir Ahmad Sheikh, a student of class 12, who
survived an attack in Surankote, Poonch, on August 3, 1998, in which
19 members of his family were killed, even the SHRC enquiry report
indicted the army and recommended compensation, which was never paid.
There are innumerable such examples and people have not forgotten
them.

The majority of Kashmiris seem convinced that even if they were to
accept a solution such as autonomy or revert to the pre-1953
position, there is no guarantee that this would not result in the
dilution of the state's Muslim-majority character, keeping in view
the conduct of Indian rulers and given the complete polarisation in
Indian society.

India's vibrant civil society did a commendable job in Gujarat. It is
combating Modi's communal agenda and in this Combat played a leading
role. But they have failed Kashmiri society. They have, perhaps,
written off Kashmir. They are quick to condemn terrorism but are
afraid to condemn state terrorism, which is more organised and
brutal. They often lack courage and are afraid of speaking the truth
about Kashmir to their own people.

(The above piece was prefaced with, "I admire your struggle against
fundamentalism and congratulate you on completion of 10 years of
Communalism Combat").

(Parvez Imroz is president, J&K Coalition of Civil Society).

_____

[3.]

Sunday Observer [Sri Lanka], 31 August 2003

Two nations, one country: can both communities co-habit?

by Raj Gonsalkorale

As the saying goes, if we all deserve what we get, then the quality
of what we get has to reflect our own values and our outlook to life.
We often complain about our politicians, but we keep on electing
representatives who seem to have gone from bad to worse over the
years. And, to make matters worse, while one government blames the
other, we have regularly increased the number of representatives to
different political establishments, giving them huge benefits like
super luxury motor vehicles, duty free cars, and a string of various
allowances eventhough, as the pithy Sinhala saying goes, we do not
even have finger nails to scratch our rear. Our debt levels have sky
rocketed, and we are living beyond our means as we have never done
before and we continue to entrust our future to politicians who have
not added any value or provided any returns on the investment the
country has made on them. Yet, in addition to the exponential
increase in the number of politicians in various assemblies, we have
continuously increased our cabinet, often with ministers who have not
been able to shed their sub standard ratings, and questionable
integrity.

Be that as it may, we do need to ask ourselves whether it is right to
point our fingers entirely in the direction of these opportunists,
who have done nothing but grabbed the opportunities that have come
their way? We must ask why we should not point fingers at ourselves,
and ask whether at least some of us would do differently if we were
in similar situations. Shouldn't we therefore, individually and
collectively take even a larger share of the blame for allowing these
things to happen? Or, perhaps knowing what we are, and our own
values, would it be wrong to say that we deserve what we have got? If
not, how could one explain our implicit connivance in the denting of
our civil society?

Armed conflict

Today, our sub standard collective, principally the politicians of
the South as well as elected politicians of the North, are witnessing
the disintegration of the nation State as we have known it for
sometime, and instead of addressing the issues that have been
responsible for this disintegration, we are negotiating the
secessionist demands of a group of power hungry armed cadres, who, as
it is becoming increasingly apparent, do not seem to be content with
anything but a State within State political outcome to the armed
conflict they have been engaged in for more than 20 years.

Here again, shouldn't we ask whether we deserve what we have got? Are
we in a position to blame the LTTE for grabbing the opportunities
that have come their way? Is it wrong for them to demand the maximum
when they are in a position to do so, when we are at our weakest?
Machiavelli would have said the LTTE are fools if they do not do what
they are doing.

If we had acted to strengthen civil society, where the rights of
every individual in this country were recognised for their inherent
worth, not their ethnicity, and if we had truly recognised the
equality of all citizens, their right to security, their right to
dignity and their right to opportunities, we would not have had an
LTTE to contend with, and we would not have had a war that has
drained us so severely to leave us in the parlous economic situation
we are in today.

Economic situation

All this may be said to be in the past, considering we have reached
the situation we are in today because we had not acted in the manner
described over so many years. The question that needs to be asked
today therefore is, whether we have at least recognised now, that we
are equals, and that one group of citizens should not have any
preference over another on account of ones ethnicity. Have we moved
away from the ideals of Sinhala hegemony? Can we honestly tell
ourselves and our children that Sri Lanka belongs to all, and it is
not a Sinhala nation? Would our Buddhist prelates accept this and
tell this to the Nation?

They have every right not to do so and they may take refuge in their
belief, some might say a belief based on myth rather than fact, about
a pronouncement said to have been made by Lord Buddha that his Dhamma
will survive, thrive and be protected by the Sinhala people, and
therefore this is a Sinhala, Buddhist Nation. The ultra Sinhala
nationalists also have the right to toe this line and take their
followers down this path. They must all remember however that their
claims could then be mirrored by another set of counter claims,
namely the historical homeland theory promoted by the LTTE and other
Tamil nationalists. This is the risk and the responsibility that
proponents of a Sri Lanka/Sinhala nation must take and face the
consequences. One could always have an endless debate over historical
theories and try to live the present bathed in the glory of the past,
but both sides of the divide has to remember and must wake to the
fact that contemporary reality requires a futuristic, visionary
approach that meets our needs today rather than what might have
existed yesterday.

Whatever the historical perspectives are, the more moderate Tamils,
driven by the insecurity and indignity they have had to face in
contemporary Sri Lanka, are bound to take refuge in the factual
situation that exists today, that is the existence of a contemporary
Tamil homeland in the North, which fact is under no doubt, and in the
East, a more contestable homeland due to the equal mix of Sinhala and
Muslim people in that region.

If Sri Lanka and all its citizens are to move away from a homeland
concept, historical or contemporary, this will have to apply equally
to a Sinhala homeland as well as a Tamil homeland. If we are not
prepared to shed this theory and accept that there are no homelands,
Sinhala or Tamil, and the entire country is the homeland of all, with
no ethnic group having any more rights than a another group, we have
no other option but to give in to LTTE and accede to their demand to
give them a political unit with identical powers to a separate State.
Sinhala hegemony can continue to thrive then in the Sinhala homeland,
as it does now, and Tamil hegemony can thrive in their homeland. If
the communities feel that they have reached the position of oil and
water, never be able to mix and form any kind of homogeneity, there
is no option, but to divide on an ethnic basis.

Best brains

Our political and religious leaders, principally our Buddhist clergy,
as well as Tamil political and community leaders, must confront this
reality and convey their position to the country. If they wish to
move forward as one Nation, the best brains in the country could
begin consultations with the people, political as well as non
political organizations and commence a process to strengthen civil
society and arrive at a political situation which does not require
the creation of a political unit as envisaged and demanded by the
LTTE. They can also begin a process to develop a new Constitution
that reflects this new thinking, and enshrine institutions that
safeguard the rights of minorities in all parts of the country, not
just in the North and the East.

If they do not wish to take this direction and wish to continue the
belief in a Sinhala homeland and Sinhala supremacy, as well as a
Tamil homeland and Tamil supremacy in their homeland, then the
Sinhala people might as well accept the reciprocal right of the
Tamils, and the LTTE, to claim their own homeland, and negotiate a
political solution on this basis. The sooner this is done, the better
and less acrimonious it will be for the two ethnic groups and the
future of a new Sri Lanka, comprising two nations, one country. If
this concept is to be the basis of a political solution to the ethnic
conflict, Tamil people in particular will have to remember that there
will be two classes of Tamils, some with more rights than others,
assuming that the Sinhala Nation, where a majority of Tamils live
today, will continue to claim their superiority in their homeland.
One has to question the worth and longevity of this solution and
wonder whether it is the beginning of another problem.

The long term, sustainable solution will arise from a change of
attitudes and a change in thinking about Sinhala supremacy, and
acceptance of equal ownership of this country by all ethnic groups.
Till then, it is unlikely that there will be a solution to the ethnic
conflict, and it is even more unlikely that meeting the demands made
by the LTTE will provide a solution for the long suffering Tamils in
Sri Lanka.

Devolution

Several surveys done recently have indicated the willingness of a
majority of citizens, both Sinhala and Tamil, to have a negotiated
political solution. What still divides the two communities is the
concept of the solution, with a majority of Tamils indicating their
preference for a political unit with extensive devolution, and the
Sinhala majority probably not yet convinced about the extent of
devolution and wishing for greater central authority over the entire
country, with devolution limited to administrative issues. There is
obviously a big gap between the wishes of the Tamils, which they
believe arises from their right and the wishes of the Sinhala people,
which they believe arises from their generosity towards the Tamils.
More than any other reason, it is this condescending attitude of the
Sinhala people which still arouses the suspicions amongst the Tamils,
and their ire, and which makes any real homogeneity very difficult,
if not impossible.

The real solution is therefore based on a change of attitudes.
Whether both communities are willing and are able to shed centuries
of ingrained attitudes, prejudices and their suspicions, is the
question and the challenge for both.

_____

[4.]

  DAWN [Pakistan] 29 August 2003 (Encounter)

Islam and secularism: odd couple or partners?
By Dr Iftikhar H. Malik

Europeanization of the world since the 15th century is a mixed but
significantly painful human experience and that is why there has been
so much scepticism of the whole idea of progress. Interpreting
contemporary conflicts simply as clash of cultures or contestation
between modernity and tradition is already simplistic. For instance,
as suggested by Edward Said and more recently by John Gray, Political
Islam - or whatever one may call it - is, to a large extent, rooted
in modernity and is not an entirely traditional assertion.

Bernard Lewis, Daniel Pipes, Oriana Fallaci, Ann Coulter and several
proponents of westernized modernity, along with the other
neo-conservatives, are not being correct in presenting Islam as a
traditional monolith, arraigned against a modernist, value-based
West. To Bush-Blair duo and their ideological cohorts Islam may have
to be retrieved from its medieval time warp through an altruist
crusade. In the same manner, several Islamicists seek West and the
Rest lost in jahliya (ignorance) waiting to be retrieved by the
turbaned and bearded Mujahideen.

Within the context of this heated controversy, interestingly, some
Muslim ulema, instead of an outright dismissal of secularism, have
quietly begun to debate the possible interface between Islam and
secularism rather than viewing them as eternal foes. However, the
quest is still in infancy and like several mundane scholars the
effort is in its embryonic stage understandably due to statist and
societal rejectionism of secularism and of any reconstructive
discourse on Islam.

This self-questioning exhibits a growing disgust with the hijacking
of both religion and political authority by nefarious elements at the
expense of societal prerogatives. While Islamicists may seek Muslim
predicament, among other factors, in the absence of Islamic law in
the Muslim states, the fact remains that even the confessional states
with professed Islamic order such as Saudi Arabia, Iran, Pakistan or
Taleban's Afghanistan have consistently failed to improve upon
participatory and accountable systems.

Islam, in many of these states, simply came to be used as a
legitimiser for sheer authoritarian, anachronistic systems and
discretionary policies. Retrospectively, it will be safe to suggest
that the selective and penal use of Islam by these states not only
exacerbated the public anguish but also worsened human rights in
those societies. The contradictions - thanks to this partisan
intermingling of religion and politics- are more obvious if one looks
at the state of minorities in these states along with a clear
deterioration in the status of women.

The so-called westernised elite in the post-independence decades have
only kow-towed to the external backers while concurrently denying
basic rights to their own people. The religio-political elements
within the governments and outside have equally repressed civic
rights and their bombastic rhetoric has only exacerbated sectarian
and inter-ethnic violence. Interestingly, both of them have often
used the West, neighbours and even modernity as convenient foes, not
out of some genuine conviction but simply for selective expediency.

Understandably, while there are problems within the respective
trajectories such as Westernised modernity and politicised Islam,
there is urgency for promoting a reconstructive debate, which could
steer Muslim peoples towards a better understanding, peace and
progress. Lately, unlike their other counterparts, some of the Iraqi
and even Iranian ulema have begun to suggest a rethink on separation
of religion from state. They are not suggesting a complete banishment
of religion from political discourse but are being increasingly
critical of its routine exploitation by political authorities for
personalist or dynastic gains.

They are even using the terms such as Muslim secularism more boldly
though such a discourse is ironically happening only after the
Anglo-American decimation of a Muslim region and which also remains
occupied. A similar debate is still not openly possible in any other
Muslim state. Coming from the ulema in Najaf, Karbala, Baghdad or
even Qum, such a quest is certainly nascent yet amazingly positive.

In an interview in Baghdad, Sayyid Iyad Jamaleddine, an eminent Shia
leader and the mentor of Sayyid Hussein Khomeini, the grandson of the
late Imam Khomeini, candidly observed: "We want a secular
constitution. That is the most important point. If we write a secular
constitution and separate religion from state, that would be the end
of despotism and it would liberate religion as well as the human
being. The Islamic religion has been hijacked for 14 centuries by the
hands of the state". (International Herald Tribune, 11 August 2003)

One may add that it is not just the political authority that has
misused and abused Islam as a legitimiser, the religious authority
has been equally responsible for mayhem after mayhem of ordinary
believers. Millions of innocent Muslims have laid their lives in all
these centuries thanks to obscurantist fatwas and uncalled-for
exhortation to Jihad, of which many have been against fellow Muslims.

The more recent examples are of General Zia's Pakistan where Muslim
minorities paid a huge price to a growing Sunni majoritarianism.
According to the common parlance in Pakistan, the Mullah + Military
axis is the bane of most of the sectarian and anti-women violence.
The promotion of Jihadist elements in the 1980s and a nod from
Washington and elsewhere has resulted into a whole plethora of
outfits pursuing several hazy ideas across the region.

In the neighbouring Afghanistan, Iran and Central Asia, Islam remains
a tool both for regimes and the Mullahs to extract maximum blood from
their marooned population. Denial of democracy and other human rights
is a consensus point for otherwise these often hostile rival
religious and political authorities.

Algeria, where France created a mess in league with the army, is
another sad reminder of both religion and politics being hijacked by
respective rent-seeking interests. Saudi and the Gulf regimes while
kow-towing to the western elite blatantly discriminate against
foreign workers from poor countries. They have altogether different
policies and touchstones for the western convicts while dozens of
poor Bangladeshis, Pakistanis and Afghans are routinely executed by
Muttaa (religious police) outside Friday mosques.

The Westerners, even after their conviction, are habitually pardoned
for similar crimes by the Muslim kings and emirs. Not a single alim
from the so-called Muslim heartland has ever raised his voice over
this sheer discrimination that smacks of a rabidly racist ideology.
No end to double standards! Though the status quo or external
hegemony are not acceptable yet concurrently leading innocent and
vulnerable Muslim citizens into kamikaze attacks is equally
reprehensible.

The humanist reinterpretation of Islam and likewise of secularism can
surely deliver Muslims from this continued monopolist exploitation by
the political and religious authoritarianism, and also augur an
overdue Islamic renaissance. It may also offer a unique alternative
to an abrasive modernity in the West itself locked in collective
violence perpetrated through institutional racism and unilateralist
militarism. The reconstruction of long overdue Ijtiha'ad is the only
way-out of gnawing societal and statist oppression; can offer a
respite from suffocating conformity while halting the foreign
denigration of a human heritage like Islam.

India's secularism, despite its severe strains and some
contradictions due to a rather erstwhile dismissive elitism, is the
best modus operandi for similar plural societies and could offer a
useful parallel for a rethink among the Muslim reconstructionists.
Its Gandhian portents appear similar to Islamic sensitivities on
religion, as here religion is accepted as a part of collective and
individual life without being totally divorced from the public domain.

However, while Muslims in India have felt comparatively safer under a
secular system and are certainly apprehensive of a majoritarian
Hindutva, their own localism, dependence upon some clerics for
political articulation and other socio-economic handicaps have not
allowed them to fully benefit from the systemic dynamics in the
country. But compared to any other Muslim state, India's democracy
still offers the best hope for coexistence and its secular system the
viable safety valve for minorities. It is a different thing that the
clerical versions of Islam abound Muslim India, yet secularist polity
is the best guarantee for collective survival and welfare of Indian
Muslims and other such minorities.

This is not to deny the fact that, to a great extent, India's own
future and of its plural communities depends upon the policies of its
majority population groups. If the Hindus, as egged on by Kar Sevaks
and Vishwa Hindu Parishad, are intent upon turning the country into a
Hinduist mould the minorities may have fewer options at their
disposal boding a major disaster for the most plural and equally
populous country on earth.

It is only the time and the Indian political and intellectual
leadership who hold the key to this grave challenge. It is still
difficult for practising and reconstructing Indian intellectuals like
Asghar Ali Engineer or Mushirul Hasan to be able to hoist the banner
of a tolerant, accommodative and all-encompassing Muslim secularism
and the opposition to them mainly comes from Muslim clergy as well as
well from Hindu fanatics.

Empirically, secularism as seen in the West, despite a paucity of
self-professing states, emerged through a gradual separation of
church and state but in its original form secularism stood for the
primacy of mundane knowledge away from the monopoly of ecclesiastics.
Secularism is not culture- or region-specific.

Thus, it is uniquely akin to Political Islam in its struggle against
colonialism. The development of the Ummayyid literature and
philosophy in Muslim Spain, promotion of learning and debate in
Mughal India, pre-Safwid Persia, Central Asian and Turkish kingdoms
-on several extended occasions- reflected a model where worldly
knowledge and religious interaction coexisted without vetoing each
other out. The diffusion of Greek, Hindu and Chinese learning and a
conscious synthesis with the African and European mores and customs
energised Islamic civilisation at all times.

Very few people may know that the Muslim metropolitan centres such as
Constantinople, Delhi, Lahore and Baghdad stayed Muslim minority
cities even under the Muslim rule, which reveals an amazing level of
tolerance and co-existence at a time when most of the world suffered
from inquisitions and pogroms. Thus, irrespective of the heuristics
of the term itself, the practice of a humanist secularism as an
exploitation-free, egalitarian and forward looking system-both in
politics and education-falls in line with the Islamic heritage
spreading over centuries.

A hasty rejection of secularism, despite its various pitfalls as a
western construct or a modernist edifice, may not be a fair way to
judge its merits. Muslim secularism is a possibility in the near
future, as it has been a historic Muslim experience in the past and
is not an alien proposition. It may prove a death knoll to the vast
disempowerment and continued exploitation of Muslim masses both by
the sultans and scholars. That is where intellectuals such as Syed
Ahmed Khan, Muhammad Abduh, Muhammad Iqbal, Fazlur Rahman, Ali
Shariati, Abdul Karim Surush, Asghar Ali Engineer and some Shia
clerics in Iraq become more persuasive.

_____

[5.]

The Telegraph [India], August 31, 2003 | The Thin Edge

SHOUTING AT BUILDINGS
- There may yet be occasion to celebrate the passing of a very dark night

RUCHIR JOSHI

Whenever he's dragged off to a picket or a demonstration, my older
son has a telling protest: "Why do I have to come along to watch you
shout at buildings?" My younger son tends to copy his older brother,
while desperately trying not to, and he sometimes comes up with a
distillation: "Are we going to shout at buildings now?"

Finding myself as lone parent in the middle of this strangest of
English summers, I ruthlessly took my kids off to picket Narendra
Modi at the Wembley Conference Centre. I took them knowing full well
that had their mother been in the country that's exactly what she too
would have done with them. What's more I even convinced an English
friend and his girlfriend to drive us there.

The Wembley Conference Centre is a huge building, typical of the ugly
British architecture of the Sixties and the Seventies. When we
reached, a long queue of worthies was filing into the building, the
men in suits or silk kurta-pyjamas, the women in heavy saris, many of
them worn Gujarati style. Across the road from the Centre is a small
island of grass, and that's where the demonstrators were gathered,
most of them behind police barriers, one or two standing outside the
fencing, working their loud-hailers. Between the building and the
protesters was a road peppered with several policemen making sure
that no one crossed the invisible line. Above us, a police helicopter
circled.

As we got to the protesters, I clocked one or two small groups I knew
from secular organizations, and people from the Dawood campaign, a
family which has lost two brothers in the Gujarat carnage. The rest
of the picketers were from Islamic organizations, the few women in
hijab, the men bearded. The loud-hailers were obviously in the hands
of young men from these organizations. The chants of "What do we
want? Justice!" and "Modi is a murderer, murderer, murderer!" were
frequently interrupted by shouts of "Takdeer! Allah ho Akbar!" I had
no quarrel with the first two chants, but I had major problems with
the last one.

First of all, what happened and is still happening in Gujarat is a
tragedy which has to be taken on not just by Muslims, and certainly
not just by militant Islamists, but by anyone who believes in any
sense of humanity. Secondly, when you see the whole thing fully
unfurled, like the aftermath of an earthquake, you see that it has
taken not only the lives and trust of Gujaratis who happened to be
Muslim but, among many other things, also the whole world-view, the
whole frame of assurance around which secular, Hindu-backgrounded,
Gujjus like myself built their identities.

What I wished I'd had the courage to do was to take the loud-hailer
from one of the men shouting themselves hoarse and talk to the queue
of the "Friends of the BJP", talk to them in Gujarati, to ask them
how their Gita-paath and prayers to Mataji jelled with gang-rape, to
ask them which Hindu text gave them the licence to fund the
butchering of small children, to say to them that, if they really
believed in another janma, should they not be then terrified of the
maha-paap they had just reaped? To point out to them that what they
were all dressed up to participate in was not a Gaurav Yatra but a
Kaurav Yatra.

Instead, I stood silently as the Islamists carried on screaming
"Allah Ho Akbar". I watched as the stream of Mercedes and Toyotas
went past the banners and into the Centre's car-park, drivers showing
us the finger every now and then, their gold watches and rakhis
flashing in the sunlight as their wrists jerked up. I looked on as
the cops gave hard looks in our direction, sometimes walking up with
a terse "This is the last time I'm warning you sir, please stay
behind the barrier!"

After I'd seen enough, I gathered my kids and our friends and we made
our way back to the car. "How come you weren't shouting at the
building today, pappa?" one of my boys may well have wisecracked, but
thankfully neither one did.

********

A couple of days later, I read about the death in Baroda of my
friend, the painter Bhupen Khakhar. The news came, as it does
nowadays, on the net. And, even though a passing away at the age of
69 shouldn't come as a huge shock, it sent a jolt of sadness through
me. The sense of loss that I would normally have felt at the death of
a friend, a man who was one of the most vibrant artists India has
ever produced, was compounded by the fact that it is at this moment
that he left us.

Bhupen was deeply, religiously, irreverent. He mixed a sharp,
ruthless observation with the most gentle warmth. He was, equally, a
wonderful singer of bhajans and a writer of ribald prose, he was a
chartered accountant and a poet, he was the quintessential small-town
man and supremely urbane. He was as gay as they come, and in the
latter part of his life as open about it as anyone in the world. He
was the kind of person many people on both sides of the Wembley
picket hate, because his basic creed in life was to de-stabilize
accepted notions, whether these ideas be of morality or sexuality or
of line and colour.

Even through this blood-heavy shambles of Gujarat, there has always
been the hope that we would all, like-minded Gujarati friends,
artists, writers, poets, actors, film-makers, all somehow survive
this pestilence and be around to contribute to its inevitable
destruction. There was, and still is, a hope that one day we will
witness the successful criminal trials of the murderous people who
are in power today, see the culpable policemen in handcuffs, see any
bent benchmen defrocked, participate in a genuine redressal for the
victims, and then, like the Gujjus we are, eat ganthias and phaphdas
and drink vodka to celebrate, if not some great new dawn, then at
least the passing of a horrendously dark night.

In this imaginary gathering in my head, Bhupen always sits at the
centre, chortling with laughter, poking little pins into any balloon
of pomposity he can find. Even as I talk about this future party I
can hear him saying to me: "Ei you, vagina-worshipper! Painter turned
film-maker turned writer! You can become a caterer later. First go do
your work properly. Shout at buildings if you must, but do your
work!" And I take his point.

_____

[6.]

The Times of India, August 30 2003

Eminent citizens rally for peace in Mumbai
Times News Network[ Saturday, August 30, 2003 10:16:39 Pm ]

MUMBAI: Is the Maharashtra government doing enough to curb hate
speech and writing at a time of growing communal tension?

Communal harmony groups and concerned citizens who believe that
enforcing anti-hate speech laws will help promote peace say the state
government is reluctant to crack down on rabble rousers. In a meeting
with chief minister Sushilkumar Shinde on Wednesday, several
prominent citizens pressed for vigorous enforcement of laws like
Section 153-A and 295 of the Indian Penal Code, which provide for
punishment against inflammatory speeches and writings.

"The real aim of a terrorist is to polarise society," lyricist Javed
Akthar reasoned. "Such writings also polarise society, and aid
terrorists." Akthar's views were echoed by Mumbai University
vice-chancellor B L Mungekar, who said: "Since 1993, the political
process in the city has been based on hatred because of communal
propaganda and poison spread through various publications. We need to
stop it." Additional chief secretary (home) U Mukhopadhyay said the
state government would consider the citizens' demands. "But will
wielding a big stick stop communal hatred? In the name of pursuing
action, we should not create more conflict," he said. While it is the
recent bomb blasts that have spurred citizens' groups to lobby for
greater enforcement of Section 153-A, momentum on this demand has
been building since the Gujarat communal riots last year.

_____

[7.]

The Hindu [India], Aug 31, 2003

'Saffronisation' of Gandhi statue
By Manas Dasgupta

AHMEDABAD Aug. 30. The "saffronisation'' of Mahatma Gandhi's statue
on the busy Ashram road in Ahmedabad city has created a fresh
controversy over the ruling BJP's "hijacking'' of the national
leaders.

The entire route of the `Veeranjali yatra' carrying the urns
containing ashes of the revolutionary freedom fighter, Shyamji
Krishna Varma, and his wife Bhanumati, which entered Ahmedabad from
north Gujarat this evening, was painted saffron by the BJP workers.
BJP flags were seen hanging from every corner, treetops, the street
lamp posts and every other convenient spot and in their
over-enthusiasm, they also decorated Gandhi's statue by tying a few
saffron bands on hands and neck.

Some of the Gandhian leaders in the city while strongly objecting to
the "saffronisation'' of the father of the nation called it a
sacrilege while some others felt it be "too childish'' on the part of
the ruling party to "try to mislead the younger generation by
projecting the Mahatma as a member of the saffron brigade. The BJP
leaders, however, instead of regretting the over-enthusiasm of the
party workers, tried to dismiss it as a non-issue. "What is wrong,
after all saffron colour is there in the national flag too,'' the
BJP's city unit president, Mayaben Kodnani, said with a wry smile.
But despite her defence, some better sense later prevailed upon the
party leadership and the statue later in the evening was found to be
"liberated'' of the saffron scarfs.

Even otherwise, the BJP organising the Veeranjali yatra itself has
created a controversy as many of the non-political voluntary
organisations including the social centre associated with Shyamji
Krishna Varma have taken objection to the "politicisation'' of the
revolutionary leader from the Kutch. While the Gujarat Congress,
apparently for political reasons, has decided to boycott all the
ceremony connected with the yatra till it end at Kutch-Mandvi, the
birthplace of Shyamji Varma, on September 4, some social
organisations viewed it as an attempt by the BJP to carve out a
"niche'' for the Sangh Parivar in the country's history of the
freedom movement where even its oldest outfit, the RSS, figure
nowhere.

While the Chief Minister, Narendra Modi, had brought the urns from
Geneva and the Governor, Kailashpati Mishra, received the urns at
Umbergaon on the Maharashtra-Gujarat border for its onward journey
within the State, the "yatra'' was completely taken over by the BJP
even though it fully used the government machinery for its success.
Almost in every city and towns through the yatra is scheduled to
pass, the district education officer concerned had been asked by the
Government to issue circulars to all the schools and colleges to send
compulsorily the students to receive the "yatra''.

The circulars turned out to be the saving grace for the BJP for its
show in Ahmedabad this evening which otherwise would have flopped in
the absence of the people. In fact, the 3,000 odd gathering at the
function where the Defence Minister, George Fernandes, received the
urns from Mr. Modi in the presence of the Union Minister of State for
Home, Harin Pathak, were mostly made of schoolchildren, NCC and NSS
cadets and some college students. Though the Congress had boycotted
the public functions related to the "Veeranjali yatra'', the school
and colleges run by the family members of the former Chief Minister,
Chimanbhai Patel, had to send volunteers to the function because of
the government circular.

An official spokesman of the State Government, however, claimed the
yatra had been receiving "overwhelming response'' from the people
wherever it went in south, central and north Gujarat.

_____

[8.]

[ Listen to this 30 minute programme on B. Premanand who the BBC
describes as a rationalist gurubuster of India. ]

o o o

BBC Radio 4 (UK)
Thursday 28 August 2003 8.00-8.30pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/rams/thu2002.ram

'Its My Story: The Indian Sceptic'

A voyage into the weird and wonderful world of Mr B Premanand and a
fanatical rationalist.

The irreverant Mr Premanand, India's leading guru buster, is a man
with two missions. The first is to expose any charlatan who pretends
his magic tricks are miracles; the second is to dispel the curse of
gullibility blighting his country and to replace it instead with the
gospel of rationalism.

To that end, this sprightly septuagenarian has spent the last 25
years touring Indian villages and schools demonstrating the fallacy
of so-called 'miracles'. His crusade has ensured his own mastery over
magic and at the age of 73 he is the oldest member of India's
International Brotherhood of Magicians, with a knowledge of over
1,500 tricks. He is also convenor of the Federation of Indian
Rationalists, head of the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the
Paranormal and editor of a monthly journal.

Tanya Dutta catches up with Mr Premanand on a rollercoaster trip
around India. With him, she encounters a cosmic healer who can
diagnose colour hunger, tries out meditation under a pyramid and
witnesses the bizarre case of a statue growing hair.

But catching fraudulent godmen is not plain sailing. As Tanya and Mr
Premanand go on the trail of a guru who claims he can heal, they are
stalled, spied on and ultimately given the slip.

At a time when Indian politics has become more and more coloured by
religion, Mr Premanand is determined to smash the stranglehold of
superstition wherever he sees it. Some people think he's going too
far. He's survived several vicious beatings and even murder attempts
but, despite the risks, he remains undeterred, convinced that his
vision for India is the only way forward.

_____

[9.]

[Director of India's Centre for Science and Environment in Delhi
which recently caught both Pepsi and Coca Cola with their pants down
responds to questions ]

o o o

The Indian Express [India] , August 31, 2003

FIRING LINE / SUNITA NARAIN

'Sue us if you wish, but sue the regulatory agencies too'
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=30612

Buzz on the perils of fundamentalist politics, on matters of peace
and democratisation in South Asia. SACW is an independent &
non-profit citizens wire service run since 1998 by South Asia
Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).