SACW | 29 Aug. 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Fri Aug 29 03:14:23 CDT 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  29 August,  2003

[1.] Nepal : Prospects of Peace take a back seat and the cycle of
violence begins
[2.] Sri Lanka: Anti-Tamil riots of August 1977 (K. N. K. Wijayawardana)
[3.] India: How Hindutva appropriates  history:  Shyamji
Krishnaverma: revolutionary, secularist and anti-capitalist is the
new icon in the Hindu far right pantheon
[4.]  India: Hindu  Fascism  (Vote-)Banking  On  Violence (I.K.Shukla)
[5.] India - Gujarat Genocide 2002: Survivors narrate `hellish
experience' to inquiry panel  (Manas Dasgupta)
[6.] India: Tehelka: Apeal to Help Create Free, Fair, and Fearless Media
[7.] India Upcoming event: Peace March Against Terrorism and
Communalism (Aug 30, Bombay)
[8.] People's health Vs MNCs (M V Ramana)
[9.] Call for papers: "Feminist Perspectives In aftermath of Sept 11 2001"

--------------

[1.]

[PROSPECTS OF PEACE TAKE A BACK SEAT AND THE CYCLE OF VIOLENCE BEGINS IN NEPAL:
After the Maoists announced the end of  ceasefire. Hostilities
between them and security forces have begun. The Nepal govt. has just
declared Maoists as "terrorists" giving a shot in the arm to the
booming new security industry a business well set to replace the
famous tourist industry machines.

People may want to check out the Maoists web site from time for their
spiel (www.cpnm.org)

See yesterdays' report in The New York Times]

o o o

The New York Times
Rebels in Nepal End Cease-Fire; Government Puts Army on Alert
By DAVID ROHDE

NEW DELHI, Aug. 27 - In a surprise move, Maoist rebels withdrew from
peace talks in Nepal today and declared the end of their seven-month
cease-fire, prompting the government to put soldiers and police
officers on high alert. But the rebels signaled that they might
resume talks if the government gave in to a principal demand.

The Maoists' announcement fueled fears of the resumption of a
six-year insurgency that has killed more than 7,000 people and
paralyzed the country's tourist-dependent economy.

The United States has condemned the rebels' tactics and is providing
$17 million in military equipment and military training to the
Nepalese Army. Both sides have been accused of systematic torture,
kidnapping and summary executions. The insurgency has exposed Nepal's
vast inequalities and, to the surprise of many longtime Western
residents, its potential for savagery.

The Maoists' leader, Pushpa Kamal Dahal, also known as Prachanda, or
the Fierce One, said in a statement today that his group saw no point
in continuing the talks with the government, which was appointed by
King Gyanendra.

"Our party wants to make it clear that there is no justification for
the cease-fire, the code of conduct and the process of talks for
now," he wrote, according to the Press Trust of India. "The
government has ended the possibility of a solution through cease-fire
and talks." He added that the government appeared to be "ready for
more bloodshed."

But Mr. Dahal added that the rebels were ready to resume talks "in
the event that people's sovereign rights and basic interests are
re-established," the Press Trust reported. A government spokesman
said it was ready to continue talks and called the Maoist statement
"most unfortunate."

The Maoists had issued an ultimatum to the king that he accept the
formation of a new assembly that would draft a constitution and
define the king's role in Nepal, which is a constitutional monarchy.
Their deadline was today. A goal of their insurgency was to abolish
the monarchy.

Observers in Nepal were divided over whether the Maoists were
bluffing or serious about resuming hostilities. After peace talks
broke down in November 2001, Maoists immediately mounted extensive
attacks across the country and the number of killings soared. Half of
the 7,000 people who have died in the conflict are believed to have
been killed between the collapse of talks in November 2001 and the
establishment of the latest cease-fire in January 2003.

"It's very ambiguous, the way it is written," said Kunda Dixit,
editor of The Nepali Times, referring to the Maoists' statement.
"Some people have analyzed that it's off. Some people have said it's
a way to put more pressure."

Low-level clashes between government forces and the rebels have
resumed in the last month.

On Tuesday, 6 policemen and 10 rebels were killed in clashes, the
Press Trust reported. On Monday, rebels fired on the convoy of former
Prime Minister Sher Bahadur Deuba in southwestern Nepal. He escaped
unharmed. A Maoist spokesman said they had not known that Mr. Deuba
was in the convoy.

Last week Maoists complained after soldiers killed 19 of their
fighters on the day before the third round of talks was to have begun.

Mr. Dixit said the next several days would show what lay ahead for
the battered country. "If you go by past language and rhetoric, it's
off," he said, referring to the peace effort. "We won't know until
the first attacks take place."

_____

[2.]

The Island (Sri Lanka) August 27, 2003

Anti-Tamil riots of August 1977

by Dr. K. N. K. Wijayawardana
The press recently highlighted the events of Black July '83, the 20th
anniversary of which fell last month. The public may have forgotten
that there was a similar pogrom against Tamil people at Anuradhapura
in August '77. I was witness to this from start to finish and also
did my bit to help and rescue Tamil officers.

I was Medical Superintendent at the Anuradhapura hospital, my first
administrative appointment. Nobody had an inkling of what was going
to happen on that calm August morning. Not even the police. In fact
my family were due to come from Colombo on that day for a vacation.
The trouble started at the A'pura railway station. When the Colombo
bound Jaffna train pulled in at the A'pura station the Tamil
passengers were pulled out by mobs and assaulted. Soon rioting spread
to the town and I made a frantic call to my wife asking them not to
come as I knew we were heading for big trouble. Casualties were being
brought in a steady stream to hospital and mobs were looting Tamil
shops and houses. I went to the A'pura police station to request for
an immediate curfew. I found two cabinet ministers seated there and
leant that they had been sent by helicopter on a "fact finding
mission". I introduced myself and told them that I had information
that the hospital would be attacked and requested for an immediate
curfew. They appeared quite unmoved and I remember getting angry and
threatening to close down the hospital if it was attacked. This
seemed to galvanise them and they ordered a mobile patrol for the
hospital. I came back to the hospital to find that the female house
officers' quarters had been set on fire. The irony of this attack was
that it was a Sinhalese female doctor who got the worst of it. Except
for the saree she was wearing she lost everything she had. I rushed
back to the police station. The two Cabinet ministers had
disappeared. Their "fact finding mission" had been confined to
sitting in the police station. I repeated my threat to close the
hospital and was given an armed escort to patrol the hospital. When I
returned to hospital I found that almost all the doctors including
the Sinhalese ones had run away due to fear and some taking advantage
of the situation. I was left with one or two consultants and two
Sinhalese female interns. Somehow we kept a skelton service going.

In the afternoon the violence and looting continued. I saw whole
houses being dismantled and building material taken away in bullock
carts. I was informed that the MOH who was a Tamil officer was
isolated. I immediately went in a vehicle and brought him, his family
and household goods to my quarters. I must mention here the name of a
Sinhalese doctor who encouraged and helped me in this rescue work. He
is Dr. Abeysiri Gunawardena who was V.O.G and who lived with me in my
quarters. In the evening the Tamil clerical staff and lab technicians
requested my permission to occupy the room next to my office upstairs
for the night as they felt unsafe in their boarding. I granted
permission and nearly thirty officers were huddled in that room.
Later the Tamil doctors informed me that they also felt unsafe in
their homes and Abeysiri and I transported them and their families to
my spacious quarters. There were sixty odd men, women and children
given accommodation in my quarters. While I was going about these
tasks I realised that hateful glances were directed at me. I was spat
upon by an unidentified person and as I left the hospital a chair was
thrown at me which fortunately missed me. I simply carried on
ignoring these threats. Shortly after dusk I was in my quarters which
is not far from the hospital when I heard a big commotion in the
hospital. My immediate reaction was to go and investigate when two
overseers came running and restrained me, begging me not to go. Later
it transpired that a mob of about hundred people armed with iron rods
and other weapons had broken the door of the room where the Tamil
clerks had taken refuge and attacked them. Most had saved their lives
by jumping from the windows, except for a lab technologist (MLT) who
was handicapped. He was simply bludgeoned to death. I was told later
that the modus operandi of the mob was to first knock off the main
switch and using the darkness to prevent identification and attack
everybody who they thought were Tamils. Later I learnt also that the
mob after their foul murder at the hospital had planned to march to
my quarters and attack the Tamil doctors and their families there. If
that had happened there would have been mass murder and Abey and I
certainly would not have been spared. I was public enemy number one
for using my position to safeguard and help Tamil officers. To our
luck and being destined to live an army truck had appeared from
somewhere and parked in our compound. The mob had seen this truck,
got cold feet and retreated. The next morning all the Tamil doctors
and their families were transported to the Kachcheri premises and
thence by convoy to Jaffna.

It was a struggle to keep the services going. Bodies were getting
stacked almost to roof level and I had to get magisterial permission
to dispose of them without inquest. Meantime the wife of the dead MLT
was crying over the telephone from Vauniya to release her husband's
body. Since the JMO also had run away I did the post mortem myself
and released the body. It was while I was doing this that an
administrative colleague dropped in to see me. He was going from
Jaffna to Colombo. When he saw me he was shocked at the situation in
the hospital and my state. Later I learnt that he had gone to the
Health Ministry and advised them to pull me out from there. However I
was certainly not going to run away and thought working almost round
the clock felt that I should be there and somehow keep the hospital
going. The next day too the violence continued. Abey had also left by
now and I began to feel uneasy and isolated. I tried to contact
police officers whom I knew to find nobody available. Usually we
depend upon the police for our protection and without even this I
remember I had the fear of death in me. What can you do with the
prospect of facing a murderous mob except pray? My instinct for self
preservation told me to shift gears and using all my wits and tact I
gradually got on to the good side of the minor staff and other
assorted characters. In my job I was very strict with the minor staff
and even punished some severely.

However when they had problems with outsiders I invariably took their
side and also helped in their personal matters. They remembered this
and I think this fact and my religious beliefs probably saved me.

Gradually the situation improved and the army made its presence felt.
The local army commander was made the competent authority and no
public servant could leave his post without his successor coming.
After some days a new Superintendent of Health Services (SHS) was
appointed to A'pura and I was allowed to leave. When I got to Colombo
I went to the ministry and met the secretary who was known to my
brother. He looked very worried and anxious and obviously had been
told about the terrible situation at Aand the dangers I faced. He
asked me if I was feeling alright. I immediately sensed an
opportunity here for a transfer and told him that I could not sleep
and was having nightmares although in fact I had neither. I was
immediately given a sympathetic transfer to Colombo where my family
was. In point of fact even without white lies I very much deserved it.

When I assumed duties as Medical Superintendent Eye Hospital Colombo
a female Tamil eye surgeon who was also my batchmate told me that she
had heard of what I had done at A'pura and that if I went to Jaffna I
would be considered a hero. I did what I did not with any thoughts of
any heroism but simply because I had a sense of responsibility and
felt it my duty to safeguard my officers whatever their race. It was
as simple as that. However it never occurred to me that in doing so I
was flirting with danger.

Later when I looked back on these incidents what puzzled me was how
seemingly normal and decent people could when they get into a mob
become sadistic enough to attack people and even kill. This may be
due to what is called 'herd instinct' where the mob is mentally
conditioned to do whatever the 'leader' suggests. This also happens
during ragging by university students. Also at that time in A'pura
there was a heavy preponderance of Tamil officers in the health
sector. In fact I was pulled put of my original station of
Mulleriyawa and sent to A'pura to 'balance' the equation. I think
that there was some antagonism over this. Also during the '77 general
elections at the postal voting most of the Tamil clerks openly showed
their ballot papers, showing everybody how they voted which was en
bloc to the TULF. I remember there was some bad blood over this among
the Sinhalese officers.

Anyhow whatever the reasons or provocations are, there is absolutely
no justification to attack and kill helpless and defenceless human
beings. We have to learn to live together as fellow citizens and I
firmly believe that the sordid events that I have described will
never happen again.

_____

[3.]