SACW | 30 July, 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex at mnet.fr
Wed Jul 30 04:51:10 CDT 2003

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  30 July,  2003

[1.] Pakistan: Sectarian challenges  (M. Akbar)
[2.] Bangladesh: Islamists asks Prime Minister to scrap HC fatwa order!
[3.] Ethnic and sectarian violence and the propensity towards
praetorianism in Pakistan (Irm Haleem)
[4.] Indian rights activists demand the release / repatriation of a
Pakistani teenager from Indian police custody
[5.] LETTER TO THE EDITOR: from UK based South Asian organisations,
condemns the recent attack on film-maker Gopal Menon and other
members  of his team by Vishwa Hindu Parishad
[6.] RESOURCE: India: Riots: Psychosocial Care for Individuals  -
Information Manual 1
[7.] India: Gujarat riot police accused (BBC news)
[8.] India: 10 yrs after the riots, govt applies the salve
[9.] India Pakistan Arms Race and Militarisation Watch (IPARMW)
Compilation # 127, 30 July 2003
[10.] Check out the South Asians Against Nukes Mailing List
[11.] AUDIO / VIDEO: The experience of Lahore for Bapsi Sidhwa (BBC)
[12.] URGENT APPEAL: India: Crisis in the Narmada Valley From the
Narmada Bachao Andolan
[13.] Hindutva Men at work !
[14.] Publication announcement : "Performative Politics and the
Cultures of Hinduism: Public Uses of Religion in Western India" by
Raminder Kaur

--------------

[1.]

The Nation [Pakistan]
July 30, 2003

Sectarian challenges
PROFESSOR M. AKBAR

The most dangerous threat that the nation probably faces today is
that of sectarian
terrorism. Our self-esteem as a nation is at the lowest ebb with
fanatics running
amok killing people at will. Religious terrorism is striking at our
very existence,
unity, harmony and well being. Sectarian violence has torn the
religious, social and
political fabric of the country into shreds.
Apart from its inherent dangers to national unity, cohesiveness and
integration, it is
responsible for the unnecessary, inhuman and senseless loss of precious human
lives. The religious fanatical terrorists have unleashed an unchecked
and almost
unchallenged reign of terror and created a sense of fear and
uncertainty in all
segments of the population. The government has repeatedly pledged to eradicate
the menace of sectarian violence from our society.
The problem of sectarian violence is not a new phenomenon in
Pakistan. It existed
in the culture of the subcontinent for many centuries in one form or
the other but
certainly not with this intensity. A few examples are: the caste
system, rich and
poor, north and south, zamindar and haris, Hindus and Muslims etc. Relations
between religious sects, as between races, ethnic groups and religions, are
potentially divisive. One irresponsible move against a particular
group can easily
ignite emotions and shatter relative peace and harmony.
An example of this is an attack on an Imambarah in Quetta during
Friday prayers, in
which at least 50 people were killed and 65 injured. This was the
third sectarian
attack since February this year. But this was the most brutal and
organized. It is
generally thought to be a suicide attack, which is seen as lending a
frightening new
dimension to such incidents in Pakistan. The identity of the
attackers has been
confirmed by the Baluchistan Police which points towards an extremist
religious
sect. The massacre was followed by angry demonstrations and rioting
that led to
the imposition of a curfew in the city.
The government condemned the massacre and promised to pursue and punish
those responsible for it. Both President Musharraf, then in Paris, and Prime
Minister Zafarullah Khan Jamali, who was in Quetta, blamed extremist elements.
The President also said these elements were acting against the will
of the majority
and might have support of foreign hand. They are right, to be sure,
but that does
not take us anywhere. The question is: how is it that the large
majority should
continue to be hostage to terrorists and why should a small minority
be free to deal
death and destruction at will? Just last month, terrorists had struck
in Quetta,
killing 13 police trainees and in February two young men riding a
motorcycle killed
nine worshippers in Karachi.
Between 1989 and 2003 (until July 6), 1,468 persons have been killed and 3,370
others injured in some 1,813 sectarian incidents in Pakistan, according to the
Institute for Conflict Management database. Pakistan itself being
victim of terrorism
has naturally condemned the terrorist activities all over the world
and won acclaim
from the international community. President Musharraf's "war against
terror" has
vigorously targeted sectarian terrorist groups, and has had substantial impact
domestically. Last year witnessed a marked decrease in the fatality index of
sectarian violence with 121 persons killed and 257 others injured in
63 incidents,
as compared to 261 persons killed and 495 others injured in 154
incidents during
2001.
The issue of sectarian terrorism has to be considered a
socio-economic problem.
There are so many controls beginning with the family, neighbours, religious
extremists and the government. In democracy one has to respect the right of
others' opinion but our tendency is mostly to impose our wishes on
the other. The
intolerance is such that we are not ready to listen to others'
viewpoint. We have
been deprived of the right to educate our masses regarding social evils and
ignorance exists in our society everywhere.
This ignorance is manipulated and exploited while illiteracy and
poverty add fuel to
fire. The Maulvis and politicians have used the illiterate people for
their vested
interests. Teachings of Islam permit everyone living anywhere to
practice his/her
belief freely. Some people have forgotten the basics of Islam while they call
themselves Sunni or Shia. Acts of violence such as the recent massacres have
defamed the Islamic society.
The solution to these problems is nothing less than annihilating the so-called
militant groups. Mujahid is a person who fights for Islam not against
it and by
committing such brutal acts of killing namazis and innocent children
these people
are doing great harm to Islam and Pakistan.
The local government at all three levels can play a crucial role.
They could, for
instance, help to establish inter-sectarian confidence circles,
composed of leaders
from different sectarian/ethnic groups to promote integration and bonding, and
allay fears and mistrust. Similar inter-sectarian/ethnic harmony
circles can also be
set up at schools, colleges, workplaces and in villages.
We should not move away from the Quaid's concept of Pakistan where every
citizen is free to practice his faith in an atmosphere of freedom and
tolerance. At
the end of the day, we are all Muslims and we are all Pakistanis. Whatever our
religious denomination and provincial affiliation, we have a common
destiny. All of
us need, therefore, to work together to enhance sectarian and ethnic
harmony and
focus on development of the nation.

_____

[2.]

The New Age  [Bangladesh]
http://www.newagebd.com/

IOJ asks PM to scrap HC fatwa order!

A faction of Islami Oikya Jote, led by Moulana Azizul Haq, on Monday
submitted a memorandum to Prime Minister Khaleda Zia that carried a
plea for taking step to lift the ban on fatwa

Giving fatwa by clerics having no legal authority has been proscribed
by a High Court judgement, at a time when incidents of unauthorised
punishment of women under such edicts increased alarmingly across the
country.

Sources at the Prime Minister's Office said the IOJ leaders, while
handing over the memo to the PM at her office, argued that scrapping
of the judgement would help eradicate corruption.

The Prime Minister, however, was learned to have told the IOJ team
that her administration believes in the rule of law, and the
government "cannot scrap any judgment of the courts".

She advised the leaders of the Islamic group, a partner of the ruling
coalition, to come up with specific allegations of corruption and
assured them of effective steps against specific cases.

The IOJ demands also included withdrawal of 'anti-Islamic' books as
well as those authored by Syed Abul Aala Moududi from the list of
textbooks for schools, colleges and madrasas.

It also sought withdrawal of 'false' cases against the party's
leaders and activists, filed during the Awami League regime,
expansion of the 'learning Quran' programme and involving the IOJ
leaders in government activities up to the grassroots level.

The PM informed the IOJ team that Moududi's books had already been
withdrawn and assured that she would sympathetically consider the
rest of the demands.

Those who assisted the Prime Minister during the discussion with the
IOJ leaders included LGRD and Cooperatives Minister Abdul Mannan
Bhuiyan, PM's Parliamentary Affairs Advisor Salahuddin Quader
Chowdhury and Political Secretaries Harris Chowdhury and Mohammad
Mosaddak Ali.

Moulana Azizul Haq was accompanied by, among others, IOJ
vice-chairman ARMA. Matin and secretary-general Abdur Rab Yusufi.
http://www.newagebd.com/front.html#3

_____

[3.]

Third World Quarterly - Journal of Emerging Areas
Volume 24, Number 3/June 2003
pp. 463 - 477
[Publisher: 	Carfax Publishing Company, part of the Taylor & Francis Group]

Ethnic and sectarian violence and the propensity towards
praetorianism in Pakistan

IRM HALEEM*

* Irm Haleem is in the Department of Political Science, Northeastern
University, 303 Meserve Hall, 360 Huntington Avenue Boston, MA 02115,
USA.

Abstract:

This article focuses on Pakistan and its divided society, and on its
decades of characteristic irresponsible and unaccountable
leaderships. It argues that a culture of mistrust--a product of a
society divided along ethnic and sectarian lines--and poor governance
has facilitated fluid civil and civil-military alliances which have
in turn legitimised praetorianism by either 1) giving rise to
inter-ethnic clashes; 2) fomentation of ethnic and sectarian
violence; or 3) formidable multi-ethnic opposition to civilian
governments. These outcomes have consequently increased the utility
of coercion and the saliency of praetorianism (direct or indirect
military intervention). As such this article utilises the 'coercion
thesis', put forth by scholars of Asian civil-military relations,
which maintains that, as the utility of coercion increases, so does
the influence and saliency of praetorianism. It is ultimately argued
that Pakistan's divided society, with its subsequent ethnic and
sectarian violence and fluid alliances, has contributed to the
country's propensity toward praetorianism. The significance of this
thesis is summarised as the need for both accountable leadership and
economic recovery.

_____

[4.]

BBC
28 July, 2003, 17:49 GMT 18:49 UK

Activists demand Pakistan boy's return
By Narayan Bareth
BBC correspondent in Jaipur

Indian rights activists have filed a case demanding the repatriation
of a Pakistani teenager from Indian police custody.

Thirteen-year old Munir was arrested after he inadvertently crossed
over into India's Rasjasthan state a month ago.

Since then, he has been held at a police station in the border
district of Sriganganagar.

The People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) has filed a writ
petition in the high court of Rajasthan seeking Munir's
repatriation.  [...].
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3104589.stm

_____

[5.]

Subject: Letter to Editor
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003

Dear Editor,

  As representatives of British based South Asian organisations, we
condemn the recent attack on film-maker Gopal Menon and other members
of his team by Vishwa Hindu Parishad activists and the Kerala police.
This move to silence critical voices through brute force is part of a
wider attempt to crush all those who dare to expose the fascist and
genocidal reality behind the Hindutva project. We are extremely
concerned at this latest indicator of the spread of fascism to a
state once regarded as relatively secular.

  On July 8 2003 Gopal Menon, Viju Verma and Mustapha Deshamangalam
went to film a public function being addressed by VHP leader Praveen
Togadia at Kozhikkode. As soon as the team reached the spot in
Mudalakkulam Maidan where Praveen Togadia was addressing the crowd,
Gopal Menon was identified by the VHP activists, who with the help of
the state police, manhandled all three and threw them out of the
meeting place. The VHP activists threatened the film makers and asked
the police not to allow them inside. The police in turn, threatened
to arrest them if they failed to leave immediately.

Gopal Menon is known for his film 'Hey Ram : Genocide in the Land of
Gandhi', the first to document the atrocities committed by Hindutva
groups in Gujarat in 2002. The collaboration of the Kerala police in
preventing him from filming a public event organised by the VHP is
yet another disturbing example of the way in which the Congress led
government of Kerala is suppressing basic democratic rights and
colluding with and nurturing the forces of Hindutva.

  The brutal police firing and violence against tribal people in
Muthanga in February this year, and the ongoing collusion with Sangh
Parivar attacks on Muslims in Marad are alarming indicators of the
rise of fascism in Kerala.

  As British based organisations, we are extremely concerned that the
Sangh Parivar is active in Indian communities in Britain and is using
them for both moral and most importantly large-scale financial
support. Gopal Menon was instrumental in exposing the role of groups
registered as charities in the UK in communal violence in Gujarat,
through the Channel 4 News documentary on the subject in December
2002.

  We condemn this blatant attack on freedom of information and
democratic rights. We further support the demands of anti-communal
activists in Kerala for the rehabilitation of all families who have
been forced to flee from Marad.

Amrit Wilson, South Asia Solidarity Group
Priyamvada Gopal, Cambridge South Asia Forum
Pritam Singh, Oxford South Asia Forum
Gautam Appa, Awaaz - South Asia Watch
Nirmala Rajasingam, Asian Women Unite!
Geeta Bandi-Phillips , Dalit Solidarity Network
Shivit Bakrania, South Asian Alliance (Birmingham)
South Asia Solidarity Group, c/o LONDEC, 299 Kentish Town Road, London NW5 2TJ

_____

[6.]

INFORMATION MANUAL 1
RIOTS
Psychosocial Care for INDIVIDUALS

Prepared by:
Ms Antara Sen Dave - M S W, M.Ed*
Consultant
Dr K Sekar - M A, PhD*
Senior Consultant
Mr Subhashis Bhadra - M S W, M Phil.**
Psycho Social Programme Co-ordinator
Mr G P Rajshekhar - M SW**
Social Worker
Dr K V Kishore Kumar - DPM***
Senior Psychiatrist
Dr R Srinivasa Murthy - M D***
Professor of Psychiatry

*ActionAid India, **Oxfam India, ***Nimhans

Published by
BOOKS for CHANGE
(A Unit of ActionAid Karnataka Projects)
139, Richmond Road
Bangalore - 560 025
Ph: 080-5586682
e-mail: bfc at actionaidindia.org
Edition: First, 2002
Copyright © Aman Samudhay

http://www.oxfamindia.org/static/Gujarat%20Riots%20Manual.html

_____

[7.]

BBC News

Gujarat riot police accused
Police in India's western state of Gujarat have been accused of
robbery and failing to protect some of the victims of last year's
religious riots.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3107699.stm

_____

[8.]

Indian Express
29, 2003

10 yrs after the riots, govt applies the salve
Prachi Jatania, Snehal Fernandes & Aditi Thorat

Mumbai, July 21: Finally, some respite for the grieving families.
Compensation money the government had promised those whose loved ones
went ''missing'' in the riots and bomb blasts that shook Mumbai in
1992-'93 has begun to be disbursed.
This category refers to those whose bodies were never found. A
seven-year wait was required before the ''missing'' could be
pronounced dead.
Victims' families and NGOs have fought an overlong battle to get their due.
The government says the three-year delay happened because they didn't
have the right addresses, among other reasons.
Today, 15 families were given their cheques of Rs 30,000 each. The
remaining amount of Rs 1.7 lakh will be invested in postal
certificates, on which families will receive monthly interest of Rs
1,300. Newsline spoke to some families.

'The money is nothing'
''Don't ask me how we survived the last 11 years. Only we know the
story of our suffering,'' says Parveen Khan, wife of Sohail Ahmad
Khan, who went missing on January 9, 1993.

For her, the money is welcome but no compensation for the hardships
she and her two young sons faced following the disappearance of her
55-year-old husband.
''I remember that morning clearly. He left at nine and never
returned. We heard later that the riots in Kurla had been
particularly violent that day.''
Khan was left alone, a widow and mother of two sons. Her voice
betrays her grief and loss, ''Rs 30,000 means nothing, my sorrow at
his loss can never be compensated.''

'Do not trust the govt'
Ashish Attar De lost his father Lakshman Attar De on January 13,
1993, at Bhandup (West).

''He left for his night shift and never returned. He used to work for
Bombay Dyeing at their Prabhadevi office.''
Ashish is bitter. ''When we needed help, all the government and
police did was file FIRs.'' He remembers how he and his brother had
to discontinue their education and take up jobs. His mother
contributed to the household income by making and selling papads.
He says, ''I was very surprised when the notification of the
compensation came. Anyway now that it has come, it is good.'' He ends
by saying, ''I want to say to all other riot victims and those who
others who depend on the government, do not trust the government. Be
self-reliant.''

______

[9.]

India Pakistan Arms Race and Militarisation Watch (IPARMW) Compilation # 127
(30 July 2003)

______

[10.]

South Asians Against Nukes (SAAN):
An informal information platform for
activists and scholars concerned about
Nuclearisation in South Asia

South Asians Against Nukes Mailing List:
archives are available @ two locations
May 1998 - March 2002:
Feb. 2001 - to date:

To subscribe send a blank message to:
<saan_-subscribe at yahoogroups.com>

______

[11.]

BBC
Audio / Video
Bapsi Sidhwa
"Just to exist in Lahore is a sort of inspiration"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/audio/39337000/rm/_39337003_sidhwa.ram

______

[12.]

Urgent Appeal: Crisis in the Narmada Valley
  From the Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA)
July 29, 2003

Dear Friends,

The submergence caused by the Narmada river due to the 100 meter
Sardar Sarovar dam height is increasing and has entered almost all
the 33 Adivasi villages in Maharashtra. It has submerged the
Nimagavhan and by now it must have submerged the Jeevan Shalas
(School for life) of Narmada Bachao Andolan. The water level is
expected to go up to 120 meters soon.

The government of Maharashtra has not initiated even the most primary
action towards rehabilitation of the people threatened with
submergence. Till this time it has not issued a Government order (GR)
for rehabilitation according to the assurances it has given to end
the indefinite fast by Medha Patkar and dharna in May-June 2003.

Instead it chose to deal with the people through police. On Tuesday
(July 29), police arrested another 74 people alongwith activists like
Pratibha Shinde, Noorjibhai and others.

The NBA has sent a letter to the District Collector to come to
Dhadgaon (Tehsil Akrani) on August 1, 2003 with all the responses
from the government and answer the people's questions. The main
activists including Medha Patkar are in the valley with the people.

We call unto you to immediately call/fax/email/meet
the Chief Minister of Maharashtra, Mr. Sushilkumar Shinde,
Mantralaya, Mumbai-400003

+91-22-23634950; +91-22-23630408; (Residence)
+91-22-22025151; +91-22-22025222; (Office)
Fax: 022-23633272, 022-22029214
Chief Secy. Ajit Nimbalkar +91-9821092411 (Mobile)

and demand the following

-Initiate concrete steps immediately to resettle people affected by
the SSP in Maharashtra. A revised GR should be issued instantly and
the Collector be instructed to carry out the rehabilitation process
in a just, participatory manner.

-Correct the faulty Resolution passed by the Government of
Maharashtra as per the discussions held with the Ministers and terms
agreed upon and implement these without delays.

-Immediately implement the recommendations of the Task Force Report
set up by the Maharashtra Government and conducted jointly by the
Government and the Narmada Bachao Andolan.

-Demand that Gujarat keeps the SSP gates open in order to minimise
submergence in Maharashtra.

-Demand an immediate geological enquiry into the Earthquake at the
dam-site that took place on the 17th July morning and measured 4.3 on
the richter scale.

-Full compensation for the damage and destruction following the
just panchnamas in the affected villages.

-The Maharashtra government should not allow any further increase in
height of the dam since people affected at 80 meters are yet to be
resettled.

Please stand by in solidarity with the people in the Narmada valley.
Make public the injustice of the State and central governments in
India and do not allow the governments to evade the responsibility of
saefguarding the lives and livelihoods of the people.

M.K.Sukumar
Sanjay Sangvai
Pervin Jenhangir
Narmada Bachao Andolan

______

[13.]

Hindutva at work:

Sify, India - 28 Jul 2003
BJP, Shiv Sena order protest 'shut down' over bus attack
http://sify.com/news/othernews/fullstory.php?id=13211251

o o o

Newindpress, India - 20 Jul 2003
Shiv Sena awards Hindus for producing big families
http://www.newindpress.com/Newsitems.asp?ID=IEH20030721011429&Page=H&Title=Top+Stories&rLink=0

o o o

Sify, India - 26 Jul 2003
Shiv Sena seeks ban on Khwaaish, Oops
http://sify.com/news/fullstory.php?id=13209800

______

[14.]

RAMINDER KAUR

Performative Politics and the Cultures of Hinduism
Public Uses of Religion in Western India
Rs 695.00 / ISBN 81-7824-047-5 / hardback / 300pp + 60 colour + b/w photos

The Ganapati utsava, a major festival of western India dedicated to
the elephant-headed god, raises compelling questions about the
interplay of religion, spectacle and cultural politics. In a book
that spans a century of epochal history, Raminder Kaur considers how
the public festival has been interwoven with everyday lives as well
as the making of the modern Indian nation.

The festival was mobilised as a potential vehicle for political
critique in the 1890s, pre-eminently by Bal Gangadhar Tilak.  This
study shows that other, less-known community leaders were active, if
not pioneering, in the festival's more public transformations.

In contemporary India, this kaleidoscopic event is of interest to
various bodies: to political parties such as the Shiv Sena, the BJP,
and the Congress; to media conglomerates which sponsor competitions
associated with religious rituals; and to the police and regulating
organisations of the state which strive to keep religious festivity
'clean' of criminality and excessive political manipulation.

This book deploys a single major cultural and religious event to
study the variety and cultures of contemporary Hinduism, and their
complex histories. It is an outstanding monograph which will interest
every serious student of Indian politics, cultural history, and
anthropology.

Raminder Kaur is a Simon/Marks Research Fellow at the University of
Manchester. She completed her Ph.D. on the Ganapati festival at SOAS,
University of London. She is co-editor of Travel Worlds: Journeys in
Contemporary Cultural Politics (Zed, 1999) and co-author of the
forthcoming Liquid Notions: Critical Reflections on Diaspora and
Hybridity (Sage).

Permanent Black
D-28 Oxford Apartments
11, I.P. Extension
Delhi 110092 [India]
phone: (011)-2272-1494 / (0)-98184-03242
EMAIL:
<perblack at ndb.vsnl.net.in>
website: visit us via www.orientlongman.com

Informing South Asians on the perils of fundamentalist politics and
on matters of peace and democracy. SACW is an informal, independent &
non-profit citizens wire service run since 1998 by
South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).