[sacw] SACW #2 | 19 Jan. 03

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sun, 19 Jan 2003 14:52:34 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire #2 | 19 January 2003

__________________________

#1. India: Missionary Blood on their Hands - A Gujarat Model in
Kerala (Mukundan C. Menon)
#2. Strengthening Indianness (Shashi Tharoor)
#3. Distrust Reopens the Door for Polio in India (Amy Waldman)
#4. USA: In the name of religion (Mukul Devichand)

__________________________

#1.

http://www.indiancurrents.com/ic4/mukundan.htm
Indian Currents

Missionary Blood on their Hands
A Gujarat Model in Kerala

-- Mukundan C. Menon

I have no ill will or hatred against my attackers. I would be glad to
invite them for a lunch, instead. Of course, initially I was angry.
But, later I realized that whatever had happened was according to
God's will", said Pennsylvania-based U.S. missionary, Bishop Joseph
W. Cooper (67), while convalescing at Kerala Institute of Medical
Science (KIMS) hospital in Thiruvananthapuram, a day after he was
attacked reportedly by RSS activists on January 13 night at Koppam
near Kilimannor in Thiruvananthapuram district of Kerala. He had gone
there to attend a Gospel Convention at Friends of Bible Church.

His right hand, nearly chopped off, was rejoined in an operation.
There were other minor injuries and he was still writhing in pain
when he talked to the stream of people who made a beeline to the
hospital this past week-end. Among the visitors were top leaders of
both the ruling United Democratic Front (UDF) and opposition Left
Democratic Front (LDF). According to KIMS doctors, who operated upon
him, he was out of danger but may have to remain in hospital for
another fortnight or so.

There was wide condemnation of the dastardly attack from within and
outside Kerala and India. All right-thinking people opined in unison
that this should not have ever happened in Kerala. Not because 45
percent of the State population belong to the minority Muslim and
Christian communities. Not because Christian and Muslim parties are
ruling UDF partners. But because Kerala has a proud and exemplary
history of communal amity, to where both Christianity and Islam
reached at the same time it spread respectively in Europe 2000 years
ago and in Arab peninsula 1,400 years ago. Also, because, Kerala is
not Orissa, where the Australian missionary Graham Steins and his two
kids were brutally burnt alive by Hindutva forces three years ago,
and surely not Gujarat which witnessed the ethnic cleansing of
Muslims last year under the aegis of ruling Moditva forces. Keralites
also co-existed with Jews, Arabs, Portuguese, Dutch, and the British,
which is an unenviable and unparallel history from rest of India.
Malayalees also maintain the exceptional inborn nature of going
anywhere in the world and settling there by easily getting mingled
with the local populace.

Notably, the January 13 attack on Cooper and other missionaries came
within weeks after President Dr. A. P. J. Kalam inaugurated the
1950th anniversary of the arrival of St. Thomas to Kerala at massive
convention of Christians at Kochi last month. The attack took place
five days before the Kerala Government's prestigious Global
Investment Meet (GIM) to be held at Kochi on January 18-19, which was
to be attended by major foreign investor delegates from USA, Europe
and Middle-East region. It also came a week before the International
Pentecostal Convention to be held at Kumbanad near Thiruvalla in
which around 100,000 believers and 3,000 pastors from various
countries are scheduled to attend. And, more significantly, the Sangh
Parivar onslaught was carried out when top RSS functionaries like RSS
Sarsanghchalak, K. S. Sudarshan, and Akhil Bharatiya Vanavasi Kalyan
Ashram president, Jagadev Ram Orone, was in Kerala making wanton
statements on conversions and foreign missionaries. The attack took
place amidst the Sangh Parivar leaders taking strong exceptions to
President Dr. Kalam accepting the invitation to attend a jubilee
function of Jesuits to be held at Calcutta soon. The incident,
therefore, cannot be treated either as a coincidence or isolated
case, although Chief Minister A. K. Antony wanted the world to
believe so in an apparent attempt to dilute its seriousness on the
eve of the GIM.

In the post-Cabinet meet press briefing on January 15, Mr. Antony
termed the attack as an "isolated incident" and said : "Such
incidents are very unfortunate and should not take place". He pleaded
ignorance as to who the attackers were. "I directed the police to
conduct a thorough investigation of the incident. I am following this
up and at the moment I have nothing more to say", he added. Antony's
ignorance should be read along with his holding charge of police
(Home) portfolio and that the police have already arrested one known
RSS local leader, Raju, and took into custody four others (Shaji, his
brother Shan and Shaiju) for questioning. The Kilimanoor police
registered a case under IPC 307 (attempt to murder) and other counts
under Explosives Act and Rioting, since the attack took place after
throwing of bombs. "Although it is known to all that the attack was
carried out by the RSS, why Antony is scared of uttering these three
letters", questioned CPI-M State Secretary Pinarayi Vijayan.
According to CPI State Secretary, Veliyam Bhargavan, "the Sangh
Parivar is trying to repeat in Kerala their agenda of intimidating
and attacking Christian missionaries in Gujarat and Orissa".

Bishop Cooper was attacked along with the local preacher, Pastor
Benson K. Sam (37), his wife Sali Benson, their two children (Joy and
Judith), singers Jayakumar and Mercy Christudas, of whom Pastor Sam
also suffered serious injuries. The colony settlers are "Vedars", a
Dalit community, with 60-odd houses and around 150 population, who
follow both Christian and Hindu faiths. With no conversion in recent
past, some of the Vedars' forefathers had converted into
Christianity. Although the January 13 attackers belong to nearby area
and are known Sangh Parivar activists, the area witnessed total
communal harmony until a bomb exploded in a nearby school three days
before the attack took place.

Those attended the Bible Convention are still at a loss to grasp as
to what provoked the RSS men to carry out the attack. Surely there
was no provocation from us, they said. According to one source, two
RSS activists, auto-driver Kumar and the owner of upholstery shop at
Kilimanoor, Shaji, came to the venue of the Convention and asked the
mike operator whether the public address system belonged to the US
missionary and left the place. Later two or three unidentified people
came to the venue, stayed around for some time listening to the Bible
speeches. Even then there was no hint of the impending attack.

The gruesome incident took place after the convention ended at 9.30
p.m. and when Bishop Cooper, Benson and others were walking along the
narrow path to where their vehicles were parked. The vehicle tiers
were deflated in advance by the attackers to ensure that the
missionaries won't get away. The Bible hall was situated on a high
range amid rubber plantation, and the vehicles were parked below on
the road.

The gang, comprising more than a dozen people and waiting in the
rubber plantation, suddenly pounced upon the missionaries by throwing
country bombs to create scare and started attacking with knives and
swords. While Cooper's right hand was nearly chopped off, Benson had
a head injury, and his wife and daughter were left unconscious on the
spot.

The terrified local people did not come forward to rush them to the
hospital, until the police reached the spot after half-hour.
According to Pastor Benson, there were no electric lamp posts in the
area and they were approaching the car, 150 metres away, with the
help of torch-light when the unexpected attack took place. The main
target of the attackers was Rev. Cooper. They detained the missionary
and other preachers for some time before attacking them with swords,
crowbars and knives.

Pastor Benson told the police that the attack was carried out by
known RSS activists in the area and named some of them, including the
auto-driver. Confirming Kilimanoor Circle Inspector D. Rajagopal's
version that the area had no history of communal discord, He said:
"There had been no threat whatsoever to the functioning of the church
in the area so far". According to him and the police, the church was
constructed in the area three years ago and "Gospel Conventions" were
held in the past as well.

Pastor Benson further stated: "We were told that the attackers were
listeners at the Convention and they were all armed. Before the
attack started, a country-made bomb exploded just inches away from
me." Lizzy, a colony resident narrated their plight: "Most of us eke
out our livelihood through manual labour. We are totally neglected by
the Government and politicians. Being converted Christians, we are
denied reservation benefits. In this grim situation, we rest our
hopes only on God and decided to hold the Bible Convention". Despite
electric lines were taken through the colony to a nearby locality
four years ago and promise of power connections given to them, the
"Vedars" colony still has no electricity. Plugs, switches and other
electric materials that they purchased long ago lie unused. Neither
do they have pure drinking water in the colony. Following the attack,
although all the politicians expressed grave concern on the incident
and showered promises on communal amity, people in the colony no more
trust their promises on upliftment of socio-economic conditions from
their own hard and bitter past experience.

A senior police officer said : "This is the first organized attack on
a foreign missionary in Kerala, whose one-third population are
Christians". According to Pastor Benson, "it was a silent attack
since the assailants did not utter a single word even though we
pleaded them to reveal their motive". ''We could identify most of the
members of the ten-member gang. All of them are known RSS activists
in the locality and we have mentioned this in the police complaint,''
he added.

Bishop Cooper has been a missionary for the past 25 years and this
was the first time he has been attacked anywhere in the world. This
was his 12th visit to Kerala, "which is a great place with fantastic
people, except what happened to me which is not good for the State's
reputation."

He was a professional parachute jumper in his young days. He entered
missionary work in early 1970s as an energetic youth and after
resigning job from a professional firm. Since then, he has been
actively involved in evangelization in many countries. He reached
India for the current tour early this month to attend a series of
gospel conventions in Kerala, Goa and Andhra Pradesh. He was
scheduled to leave for Visakhapatnam on Tuesday but, instead, landed
in the intensive care unit at KIMS. "This is not going to deter my
spirits and I will certainly be back in Kerala. I am happy that I was
able to speak to my wife and my close friends who appeared tensed
after hearing what happened", Rev. Cooper said. He added: "I've
forgiven my attackers. Now that the case has been registered, I do
not know if there is a provision by which I can withdraw it. In the
U.S., one could sue for damages, but I am not going to do any such
thing."

Expressing shock and concern over the attack, a US embassy
spokesperson in New Delhi said : "This is a very serious matter. You
cannot just go on attacking anybody. Naturally we are deeply
concerned". The United States condemned the attack and a State
Department official in Washington said that authorities were in touch
with the consulate in Chennai. US consulate officials from Chennai
are reaching Kerala to ascertain the facts relating to the attack.
They already had a telephonic discussion with Cooper on Jan. 17 night.

Expressing deep concern and pain on the attack, Cardinal Varkey
Vithayathil, Major Archbishop of Syro-Malabar Church, said it was
ominous to see certain groups resorting to violence to settle any
difference of opinion in a democratic country. "Unfortunately these
violent elements have been emboldened by the rhetoric of certain
fundamentalist leaders of Hindutva, who spread hatred against
minorities. Fundamentalism was consistently destroying the religious
and democratic foundations of this country. The attack is a sad
betrayal of the country's heritage of welcoming a guest as God
himself into our midst", Vithayathil, who is also the Chairman of
Kerala Catholic Bishops Council, said.

Meanwhile, the Kerala State Human Rights Commission, which took suo
motto cognizance of the issue, sought a report from
Thiruvananthapuram (Rural) Superintendent of Police to be submitted
within 15 days.

RSS operation cover-up

No sooner the widely condemned dastardly act took place, the entire
lobby of Sangh Parivar plunged into action with their customary
leveling of baseless accusations, wild allegations, and
unsubstantiated charges against Rev. Cooper and the evangelist
missionaries. Panic and fear prevailed in and around Kilimanoor after
the Sangh Parivar undertook a procession within 24 hours of the
attack accusing the police of harassing "innocents" by conducting
raids and arrests. RSS Malayalam organ, "Janmabhoomi", said that two
of the evangelists were earlier involved in a sex racket, and that a
woman resisted their sexual advances which led the "local people" to
"protest against the missionaries" on January 13 at the Bible
Convention!

In the first statement, the RSS "Vibhagh Sahakaryavah", K.
Rajasekharan, alleged that Sangh workers were "falsely implicated" in
the case and termed the incident as "shrouded in mystery". He fired
the first salvo against Rev. Cooper: "It was unlawful on the part of
Cooper, who was on a visiting visa, to preach religion in India.
There should be an inquiry into the circumstances under which the
U.S. citizen on a visiting visa was allowed to speak at a Gospel
Convention." Sangh Parivar leaders also alleged that Rev. Cooper and
other preachers at the Convention made "inflammatory and insulting
speeches" against Hindus, which was stoutly denied by all those who
attended the convention, including Pastor Benson.

On January 27, VHP Kerala unit demanded the "arrest and prosecution"
of Rev. Cooper for alleged violation of Foreigners' Act. The VHP
State Organising Secretary, Kummanam Rajasekharan, asked the State
Government to initiate prosecution proceedings against Rev. Cooper
for "carrying out religious propaganda after coming to the country on
a visiting visa". He claimed that "as per the Foreigners Act of 1956,
foreigners visiting the country should not engage themselves in
religious preaching and are only supposed to do sight-seeing and
visit relatives". Besides, Rev.Cooper and his team of evangelists
"slandered" the Hindu "dharma" and traditions and sought to convert
the residents of a Scheduled Caste colony by allurement and
compulsory means, the VHP leader alleged. The Kilimanoor incident,
according to the VHPleader, "underlined the need for a code of
conduct for missionary activities".

While Sangh Parivar is taking the opportunity to demand introduction
of an Act banning "forcible conversion", they are left without
answers as to how people like Mata Amrithanandamayi are frequently
visiting Western countries for preaching religion and how her
"Ashram" at Vallikavu, near Kollam, has a large number of Western
devotees. In fact, a French lady in the Ashram died under mysterious
circumstances in August last year. "What will be their reaction in
India if any such attack took place on Amrithanandamayi abroad",
reacted an evangelist in his reaction given to a Malayalam TV channel.

Notably, inflammatory statements, if any, in Kerala had come from
people like RSS chief Sudarshan before and after the attack on Rev.
Cooper. On the day of the attack, Akhil Bharatiya Vanavasi Kalyan
Ashram president, Jagdevram Oraon, told a press conference at
Kozhicode: "West-promoted conversions into Christianity were causing
divisiveness among the people in the country. Countries like the
United States and Britain were creating their own pockets through
missionaries. Issues like 'Nagas', causing divisions in the country,
are a consequence of this. The foreign churches through conversions
made the tribals isolated from the mainstream of the society".

The day after the attack on Rev. Cooper, the RSS chief, while
inaugurating the Akhila Kerala Vanavasi Sangamam, at Wayanad said :
"Even Mahatmaji had cautioned against weaning Hindus. The British had
invented many theories like the Aryan invasion to divide the Hindus.
Though the theory has logical validity, it was used to create schism
within the community. The Arya-Dravida, Brahmin-non-Brahmin, North
India-South India divisions are the by-products of the theory."

_______

#2.

The Hindu
Sunday, Jan 19, 2003
Magazine

Strengthening Indianness

by Shashi Tharoor

`In building an Indian nation that takes account of the country's
true Hindu heritage, we have to return to the pluralism of the
national movement.'

IN my last column I argued the case for a tolerant Hinduism, as
opposed to an intolerant Hindutva, in contributing to the
strengthening of Indianness. Quoting Swami Vivekananda, I deplored
the anti-Hinduism of the bigots who are perverting its doctrines in
the name of all Hindus. I would like to develop this theme further
today.

The misuse of Hinduism for sectarian minority-bashing is especially
sad since Hinduism provides the basis for a shared sense of common
culture within India that has little to do with religion. Hindu
festivals, from Holi to Deepavali, have already gone beyond their
religious origins to unite Indians of all faiths as a shared
experience (the revelry of Holi and the lights, firecrackers, mithais
and social gambling of Deepavali have made both into secular
occasions). Festivals, melas, lilas, all "Hindu" in origin, have
become occasions for the mingling of ordinary Indians of all
backgrounds; indeed, for generations now, Muslim artisans in the
Hindu holy city of Varanasi have made the traditional masks for the
annual Ram Lila. Religion lies at the heart of Indian culture, but
not necessarily as a source of division; religious myths like the
Ramayana and the Mahabharata provide a common idiom, a shared matrix
of reference, to all Indians, and it was not surprising that when
Doordarshan broadcast a 52-episode serialisation of the Mahabharata,
the script was written by a Muslim, Dr Rahi Masoom Raza. Hinduism and
Islam are intertwined in India; both religions, after all, have
shared the same history in the same space, and theirs is a
cohabitation of necessity as well as fact.

Both Hindus and Muslims throng the tombs and dargahs of Sufi Muslim
saints. Hindu devotional songs are magnificently sung by the Muslim
Dagar brothers. Muslim sociologists and anthropologists have argued
that Islam in rural India is more Indian than Islamic, in the sense
that the faith as practised by the ordinary Muslim villagers reflects
the considerable degree of cultural assimilation that has occurred
between Hindus and Muslims in their daily lives. The Muslim reformist
scholar Asghar Ali Engineer has written that "rural Islam ... (is)
almost indistinguishable from Hinduism except in the form of worship
.... The degree may vary from one area to another; but cultural
integration between the Hindus and Muslims is a fact which no one,
except victims of misinformation, can deny."

To some degree, India's other minorities have found it comfortable to
take on elements of Hindu culture as proof of their own integration
into the national mainstream. The tennis-playing brothers Anand,
Vijay and Ashok Amritraj all bear Hindu names, but they are
Christian, the sons of Robert and Maggie Amritraj, and they played
with prominent crosses dangling from their necks, which they were
fond of kissing in supplication or gratitude at tense moments on
court. But giving their children Hindu names must have seemed, to
Robert and Maggie, more nationalist in these post-colonial times, and
quite unrelated to which God they were brought up to worship. I would
not wish to make too much of this, because Muslim Indians still feel
obliged to adopt Arab names in deference to the roots of their faith,
but the Amritraj case (repeated in many other Christian families I
know) is merely an example of Hinduism serving as a framework for the
voluntary cultural assimilation of minority groups, without either
compulsion or conversion becoming an issue.

It is possible to a great extent to speak of Hinduism as culture
rather than as religion (a distinction the votaries of Hindutva
reject or blur). The inauguration of a public project, the laying of
a foundation stone or the launching of a ship usually start with the
ritual smashing of a coconut, an auspicious practice in Hinduism but
one which most Indians of other faiths cheerfully accept in much the
same spirit as a teetotaller acknowledges the role of champagne in a
Western celebration. Interestingly, similar Hindu customs have
survived in now-Muslim Java and now-Buddhist Thailand. Islamic
Indonesians still cherish the Ramayana legend, now shorn (for them)
of its religious associations. Javanese Muslims bear Sanskrit names.
Hindu culture can easily be embraced by non-Hindus if it is separated
from religious faith and treated as a heritage to which all may lay
claim.

The economist Amartya Sen made a related point in regretting the
neglect by the votaries of Hindutva of the great achievements of
Hindu civilization in favour of its more dubious features. As Sen
wrote: "Not for them the sophistication of the Upanishads or Gita, or
of Brahmagupta or Sankara, or of Kalidasa or Sudraka; they prefer the
adoration of Rama's idol and Hanuman's image. Their nationalism also
ignores the rationalist traditions of India, a country in which some
of the earliest steps in algebra, geometry, and astronomy were taken,
where the decimal system emerged, where early philosophy - secular as
well as religious - achieved exceptional sophistication, where people
invented games like chess, pioneered sex education, and began the
first systematic study of political economy. The Hindu militant
chooses instead to present India - explicitly or implicitly - as a
country of unquestioning idolaters, delirious fanatics, belligerent
devotees, and religious murderers."

Sen is right to stress that Hinduism is not simply the Hindutva of
Ayodhya or Gujarat; it has left all Indians a religious,
philosophical, spiritual and historical legacy that gives meaning to
the civilizational content of secular Indian nationalism. In building
an Indian nation that takes account of the country's true Hindu
heritage, we have to return to the pluralism of the national
movement. This must involve turning away from the strident calls for
Hindutva that would privilege a doctrinaire view of Hinduism at the
expense of the minorities, because such calls are a denial of the
essence of the Hinduism of Vivekananda. I say this not as a godless
secularist, but as a proud Hindu who is mortified at what his own
faith is being reduced to in the hands of bigots - petty men who know
little about the traditions in whose defence they claim to act.

(Concluded)

The first part of this article appeared on January 5, 2003.

_____

#3.

New York Times
January 19, 2003

Distrust Reopens the Door for Polio in India

By AMY WALDMAN

RAMPUR, India - The little girl sat somberly, eyes large and sad,
mouth an unmoving bow, legs as lifeless as a marionette's. Her face
contorted in pain and frustration. Tears streamed down her cheeks.
She clutched at her mother, who berated herself for her child's
agony. In trying to do what she thought was right for her daughter,
Tehazib Jahan had done something irrevocably wrong.
Last year, Mrs. Jahan had heard the story circulating through her
Muslim neighborhood that the polio vaccine would make her child
sterile. She believed it. So even though her daughter, Uzma, still
needed two doses of the vaccine, Mrs. Jahan would not take her to the
immunization booth. When the vaccinators came to her house, she
demurred.

Three months ago, Uzma came down with a fever. Then the paralysis,
polio's calling card, set in. Today the once playful 4-year-old
cannot stand without help.
"We are illiterate, not very intelligent," Mrs. Jahan said. "We were
influenced."

Borne along by rumor and fear as much as any biological route of
transmission, the polio virus - almost vanquished worldwide thanks to
a cheap and widely available vaccine - has made a defiant comeback in
India.
In 2001, after years of aggressive mass immunizations, there were 239
new cases in the country - down from about 200,000 in the early
1980's. Officials were confident that India could eliminate the
disease, as so many countries have, by the end of 2002.

Instead, India had 1,509 newly diagnosed cases last year - a vast
majority, 1,197, in Uttar Pradesh, the country's most populous state,
and one of its poorest. Uttar Pradesh accounted for 68 percent of the
polio cases worldwide.
The reason, according to government officials and community leaders,
seems to be largely a rumor that the oral vaccine, given as drops,
was part of a government population control scheme. No one knows how
it started, but its effects are now clear.
On a recent day, another mother, Shamina, 30, initially refused doses
for her three children, ages 1, 3 and 5, when the vaccinators came to
her door. Her husband had told her to do so, she said.

"We have heard some things about these medicines," she said as
chickens pecked at her feet. "That when these children become adults
- they will be useless."
The resurgence of polio here has alarmed international health
experts, who had aimed for the global eradication of polio by last
year. Last year, polio was found in seven countries and increased
only in two: Nigeria and India.
"There's a real risk of people thinking if we fail we're going to
have 1,000 cases a year," said Dr. Bruce Aylward, coordinator of the
World Health Organization's global polio eradication initiative.
"We're not. We're going to have hundreds of thousands of cases of
kids being paralyzed by a disease that was an inch away from
disappearing forever."

Dr. Sobhan Sarkar, the Indian government's deputy commissioner of
child health and coordinator of the national antipolio campaign, said
what worried him was the spread of polio to areas where it was not
previously found. The virus is spilling from Uttar Pradesh into other
states.
The polio outbreak has also exposed a religious, or communal, health
divide. Only 17 percent of Uttar Pradesh's population is Muslim, but
59 percent of its polio cases last year were among Muslims, like
Uzma. Although the rumor was repeated in Hindu communities too,
health officials say it gained greatest currency among Muslims, who
in Uttar Pradesh tend to be landless laborers with lower literacy
rates and a greater mistrust of the Hindu-dominated government.

Many Indians have feared forced sterilization since it was carried
out during the authoritarian period of the late Prime Minister Indira
Gandhi's state of emergency in 1975. Since then, government health
initiatives have often been viewed warily.
That has been especially true among Muslims, not least because most
government health workers are Hindu.
Some health officials said they had known for years that they were
having a harder time reaching Muslim households. But Naseem Ahmad,
vice chancellor of the Aligarh Muslim University in Uttar Pradesh,
said the divide between Muslims and Hindus widened when the Hindu
nationalist Bharatiya Janata Party rose to power in the state five
years ago. It is now part of a coalition government.

"Because of the political setup at the moment, with the B.J.P. in
power," he said, "the impression from the illiterate and semiliterate
is that anything from the present government would be to their
detriment."
This is not the first fear to foil a health campaign in India. Last
year, rumors that vitamin A - dispensed to reduced the incidence of
diarrhea and measles and to help prevent blindness - had caused the
death of dozens of children halted a public health drive in the state
of Assam.

Mrs. Jahan, who is 26, is totally unschooled. She was married at 16
or 17. Her husband rolls cigarettes for a living, and the family
earns about 2,400 rupees, or $50, a month. She lives under the purdah
system and so she rarely leaves the house. When she does, it is in a
burka, the head-to-toe, face-covering veil. She said she did not know
how the rumor got started. "We are women, confined to the household,"
she said. "We work and we eat."
Uzma is unusual, in that most of the polio cases here have been
diagnosed among children under 2. But almost all of them have come in
places where significant percentages of children - 6 percent or more
- did not complete the full course of the vaccine, which involves at
least four doses.

Health officials say they hope that in the wake of the current
epidemic the number of new cases will taper off this year, at least
in Uttar Pradesh, with many children who are not immunized by the
government developing natural immunity through mild exposure.
Dr. Aylward agreed that that could happen, but warned against a false
sense of security. "It's going to plummet, and buy you a bit of
time," he said, "then it's going to come roaring back." Mass
immunization, he said, remains necessary, and that effort is under
way.

The government and the World Health Organization, in partnership with
Unicef and Rotary International, which has given more than $500
million to fight polio, started a drive this month to immunize 150
million Indian children, many of them in Uttar Pradesh.
Where possible, the government has tried to add health workers of the
same religion and social caste as the people where the vaccinations
are scheduled. But officials say they have struggled to find enough
Muslim women with some education and without purdah strictures to
join them. Nongovernment organizations have helped fill the gaps.

With 166 million people, Uttar Pradesh is more populous than all but
five of the world's countries. It has long been troubled by poor
governance. Federal health officials say the repeated transfers of
state bureaucrats have made it difficult to mount sustained campaigns.
Health workers and those with aid organizations said that in a state
where so little seemed to work, the very efficiency of the
eradication drive added to people's suspicions.

"People say, `We do not have food, we do not have jobs, we do not
have electricity. Why are you only after these drops? Why again and
again these drops?' " said Nikhat Parvin, a Muslim volunteer with the
nonprofit Adventist Development and Relief Agency. On this morning,
she accompanied a vaccination team through the lanes of Ger Hassanha,
a Muslim neighborhood in this bedraggled city of 300,000 people.

Rampur district had 36 polio cases last year. Of those, 29 were among
Muslims, although the district's two million residents are about
equally split between Hindus and Muslims. All the cases, the
district's chief medical officer, Dr. Vijay Singh said, were among
the poor, those with inadequate food, unclean water and poor
sanitation. In many localities, he said, human waste was simply
dumped in the open, making fecal-oral transmission of the virus
"very, very easy."

The team went house to house, checking to see whether the drops had
been administered, giving them if they had not, and then chalking the
status upon wooden doors.
By 11 a.m., two mothers, both Muslims, had refused. One of them was
Shamina, who said she was illiterate. But she allowed the three women
with the team into her courtyard to make their pitch.
"Your children are not only your children, they are like my
children," said Byant Kaur, 55, a state health worker since 1969, and
a Hindu. "Why would I hurt my children?"

Hamida Khan, a Unicef community mobilizer who is Muslim, joined in.
"If the population decreases, who will the government rule?" she
asked, as Ms. Parvin nodded.
Ms. Kaur continued, "If anything happens, you can get hold of my neck."
The mother relented, and Ms. Kaur quickly dropped in the oral vaccine.
But across the narrow lane, her neighbor, who the team knew had a
3-year-old, refused even to open the door.
Instead, she shouted through it. "You are dishonest! I don't have
time! I have so many other things to do!"
Then she added: "My children are already grown!"

Dr. Singh said many parents, knowing they might face pressure from
the government - or even the police - if they refused the drops, were
now simply lying about whether they had children younger than 5.

>From behind the door came the last word: "I will not give the
medicine to my child!"
To counter the creeping rumors, the government has begun a
pro-immunization media campaign featuring India's most popular actor,
Amitabh Bachchan.
But as Mrs. Jahan herself observed, there may be no more effective
advertisement than her little Uzma. Now that people can see from her
daughter's crippled limbs that polio is real, "they do not believe
the rumor," Mrs. Jahan said, almost proudly. "They see the logic in
getting the drops."

_____

#4.

Al-Ahram Weekly
9 - 15 January 2003
Issue No. 620

In the name of religion
Over a year after the "War on Terror" began, Mukul Devichand attended
a neighbourhood meeting in New York, where South Asians were uniting
to protest government policy and fight against hate crimes

Shah Wazir is worried about his future, and he is not alone.

He is of many concerned South Asians from across New York who have
attended a special series of meetings in Midwood, Brooklyn and
Jackson Heights, Queens, held late in 2002. Both areas have big South
Asian communities with sizable Muslim populations. The clue to the
subject matter of the meetings is given away by their title: "One
Year Later: How Do We get Our Rights Back?"

Although much press attention has focussed on the plight of
Arab-Americans after 11 September, South Asian-Americans (from India,
Pakistan and Bangladesh) have also felt the social effects of the
"War on Terror". South Asians, both Muslim and non-Muslim, often have
the beards, veils and Eastern clothing that make up American
stereotypes of "Taliban" and "Islam". Over the past year, several
Sikhs have been attacked and some killed, because their long beards
resemble that of Osama Bin Laden. The meetings were held to address
such feelings of victimisation.

Wazir, for example, has been personally affected. Just before 1am on
3 September this year, the 46-year old Pakistani immigrant was
driving his taxi home to Midwood after another long shift. As he
slowed for traffic lights on Manhattan's 2nd Avenue, at the junction
with 54th Street, he caught a quick glimpse of two men and a woman
coming towards the car. He said that before he fully realised what
was going on, they had pulled the door open and started to physically
attack him.

"I have no doubt it was because I'm a Muslim," Wazir said in Urdu,
Pakistan's lingua franca, almost a week later. He is a thin man with
a large beard, who usually wears a long salwar kameez (tunic and
pants) leaving no doubt as to his ethnicity. He was struck several
times. A large bruise still showed under his right eye, despite an
overnight hospital stay. "As they hit me, they shouted 'Do you like
Bin Laden?'," he said.

The three suspects -- a white American and two Chinese-Americans --
were arrested and now face trial. But Wazir feels his attack was part
of a worrying trend. "First the FBI detained so many in the
community, and now this," he said. "It makes me feel I have to do
something." At the Midwood meeting on 8 September, many people
expressed similar concerns.

The gathering was held at the offices of the Council of Pakistan
Organization, or COPO, a local Midwood group that emerged after a
spate of government detentions of Muslims after 11 September
Volunteers from COPO and others from the Manhattan-based
Asian-American Legal Defense and Education Fund (AALDEF) wanted a
forum to meet locals and re-appraise the feelings of others in the
South Asian community.

Much of the concern centered on government detentions. "They just
come and take us away," lamented Mohamed Tariq, 44, a Pakistani limo
driver from Brooklyn. "If you argue, they are more likely to take
you. It's just because we're Muslim."

"Why us?" added Zaid Khan, 31, a Pashtun from Pakistan who works as a
stockbroker. "We have done nothing wrong. So the real problem is to
find out who is reporting us to the FBI."

Since the 11 September attacks, the government has detained over
1,200 people nationwide, according to State Department figures. Most
have been held on immigration violations or as "material witnesses".
Since it is the executive branch that oversees immigration, the
government can avoid the courts and detain suspects in secret
locations, not releasing their names, and without trial.

Several liberal judges are rebelling against the policy in federal
courts, most recently in a Federal District Court in Washington DC,
in August. A Supreme Court judgment is pending. But in the meantime,
the effects of the policy have been severe in many South Asian
communities.

According to Ahmad Razvi of COPO, many Pakistanis from Midwood
practically "disappeared" overnight, often after "tip-offs" to the
FBI from neighbours who interpret Muslim looks and religious
conversation as terrorist. The State Department claims all but 81 of
the immigration violators have now been released or deported, but
COPO and AALDEF say the detentions are ongoing.

At the meeting, people felt the real enemy was not the US government,
but ignorance. "The police don't really know who we are," said Tariq.
"They need to understand that we're just ordinary people."

Nor was there any support for terrorists. "Of course they should take
wrongdoers," Khan asserted at the meeting. "That's OK. But they
shouldn't be taking anyone else."

"This isn't about protecting criminals or fraudsters," added Siddiq
Malik, 44, a store owner who had made the journey from the Bronx, at
the other side of New York. "It's about protecting innocents."

Another purpose of the meeting was for AALDEF and COPO to spread the
word about free legal advice they give to South Asians and others at
monthly legal clinics in Brooklyn and Queens. Those sessions have
been well attended, according to Saurav Sarkar, a volunteer at AALDEF.

Ammad Razvi, a 28-year old Pakistani from Midwood, helped found COPO.
He said that people who felt victimised now had a place to come. "You
can come here, to trained lawyers who can help," he said at the
meeting.

A vivid example of the type of work advocacy groups like COPO and
AALDEF do occurred in August after Mizanor Rahman, a 37-year-old
father of one from Bangladesh was attacked and murdered by two men in
East New York on 11 August. On 28 August, the local 75th Police
precinct's Inspector James Secreto told Bangladeshi community leaders
that he did not feel the attack was racially motivated. Local
Bangladeshis disagreed, and together with AALDEF held vigils and
forums with the local Dominican community, the other big immigrant
community in the area.

In Midwood, COPO also envision a community-building agenda as well as
advocacy work. Razvi runs regular basketball sessions where young
people from Midwood's large Jewish and Muslim communities are
encouraged to play together.

Inter-community dialogue, and a united voice against government
detentions and hate crimes, is still a new phenomenon with New York's
South Asians. Still, the meeting showed that the "War on Terror" has
certainly provoked a reaction among a community that has
traditionally been divided by national origin and religion. "We
should be united among ourselves," declared Malik. "We all look the
same to them, so let's unite as one."

_____

#4.

The Statesman
January 19,2003

C A V E A T/ C R IRANI

A Plague, A Plague!

Hindutva is in the air! Although what it is all about is anybody's
guess! There are interpretations and no one is sure which is the
right one; it seems to depend on the purpose in view. Narendra Modi,
before the elections he won easily, had a definition, which he put
into outrageous practice and which provoked Prime Minister Atal
Behari Vajpayee to rap him sharply over the knuckles. After the
elections, Vajpayee offers a definition, which lessens his distance
from Modi, while Modi confounds everybody by declaring that the Prime
Minister's definition was something shared by all in the BJP. Other
leading lights in the party suggest that Modi, not Vajpayee, has it
right. I have always maintained that, however grotesque, the pogrom
unleashed upon a whole community in the aftermath of Godhra was
crafted with an eye on elections. Modi confirmed it by calling early
elections before the poison could be washed away or covered by time.
He was frustrated by the Election Commission and the Supreme Court
but the opportunity to rectify electoral rolls was not utilised
properly, given the reluctance of the Congress party to risk losing
the Hindu vote. Having said that, it is also true that the scale of
the BJP victory and the spread of their influence cannot be explained
by this factor alone. More recently on 30th December to be exact,
Modi admits as much when he asks that the poison of electioneering
should be forgotten!
I have no wish to recount the horrors of the pogrom; it is documented
in reports, editorials and Caveats, but I must add that the newly
renewed chief minister cannot expect it all to be forgotten simply
because it is inconvenient to him that it should be remembered. Nor
does it help for him to blandly assure everyone that both the Godhra
incident and the post-Godhra violence will be dealt with in
accordance with law. I call to witness the excellent and highly
credible report of the Concerned Citizens Tribunal - 2002, comprising
eight eminent citizens led by the redoubtable former judge of the
Supreme Court, Mr Justice VK Krishna Iyer for the proposition, in
context, that the primary law enforcement agency - the police force -
often led the murderous mobs. Modi now wants people to believe that
having achieved his objective and won the election, he can be relied
upon to provide good government. With appropriate fanfare, he
announces that he has pardoned one, Razak Nazir Kasim, an IT
professional, for sending him a threatening e-mail from Mumbai and
which he says would have involved a prison term of five years plus a
Rs 1 lakh fine. I did not know that after Lord Macaulay drafted the
Indian Penal Code, Narendra Modi was given the task of rewriting it!
Nothing short of this would produce the jail term and the fine
claimed. Modi adds that it is time to forget the past and think about
the future. Having arranged the past to make sure of the future, Modi
thinks he can ignore the present! He will have to work at it. And
while he works, it is sensible that he keeps his mouth shut.
Modi made his statements on 30th December in the course of a padyatra
through riot-affected areas, his first visit since the horrors he
engineered some months ago. I am driven to the conclusion that his
efforts are insincere and beneath contempt. I am not saying that Modi
is incapable of making amends; but I do say that I have seen no
evidence of it yet. I am looking for evidence on the ground; not
words that cost him nothing. To prove my point, Pravin Togadia, the
same day, spits venom in the style to which he is accustomed.
Hindutva is being exported to Rajasthan and it is announced that the
RSS chief is camping in West Bengal for a week from 21st January. He
is not here on a rest cure! To be fair to him the West Bengal
government have shown no sign of following up on Buddhadeb
Bhattacharjee's honest statement of 19th January 2002, that in the
wake of the change of government in Dhaka, a whole crop of madrasas
have sprung up along the border funded by Gulf money. Clearly this
should be investigated. The West Bengal Board of Madrasa Education
Act is a scandal. The state government spends Rs 115 crore annually
on registered madrasas and contrary to Article 30 of the
Constitution, it controls the syllabus and has not allowed any other
subject to be taught except Arabic language, Arab history and the
Koran. This is how mindless vote banks are created. Even Musharraf
intends to introduce subjects like science and technology, giving
Modi the excuse for a justified barb that he will follow Mia
Musharraf's example!
Someone who should know better, says on television that Hindutva is
another name for Hindu. The short answer is a question - where is the
need for a synonym? If Hindutva is the answer to Islamic
fundamentalism, then I say - a plague on both your houses!
http://www.thestatesman.net/page.news.php?clid=1&theme=&usrsess=1&id=9794

South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996.
To subscribe send a blank message to: