[sacw] SACW #2 | 29 Dec. 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:00:06 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire #2 | 29 December 2002

__________________________

#1. Teaching against Communalism - Role of Social Science Pedagogy
(Ananya Vajpeyi)

__________________________

#1.

Economic and Political Weekly (Bombay)
December 21, 2002
Perspectives

Teaching against Communalism
Role of Social Science Pedagogy

Communalism has so far been an ideology that anti-communal forces
have tried to address in the informal sectors of pedagogy. What are
the issues involved in building a formal syllabus for university
students that systematically deals with communalism with a view to
encouraging a principled rejection of its ideas and practices?

Ananya Vajpeyi

Of late, the discussion in the public sphere as regards communalism
and education has centered around two problems. One, the
communalisation of higher education, particularly of disciplines such
as history and philosophy; and two, the danger of institutions of
religious education - be they 'mathas', 'madarsas', or missions -
becoming the proponents of political ideologies and thus the breeding
grounds of communally-minded subjects. However, there does not seem
to have been much attention directed towards trying to imagine how
educational processes and institutions could be used in order
to analyse communalism and, through such a process of analysis,
persuade young citizens to turn away from it. Communalism has so
far been an ideology that anti-communal forces, of both a secularist
and an anti-secularist stripe, have tried to address in the informal
sectors of pedagogy, namely: activism, awareness campaigns,
documentation and theorisation; no one has sought to bring it
squarely into the realm of social science pedagogy. This article
attempts to identify some of the issues involved in building a
syllabus that systematically teaches university students what
communalism is, with a view to encouraging a principled rejection of
its ideas and practices by them no matter what their religious
affiliation.

To begin with, let it be said that the very attention to communalism
by both activists and theorists alluded to above, has produced a vast
literature on every aspect of the subject, in a range of media. A
history of communalism, examining its roots in colonial
governmentality and law, is easily presented. The role of key actors
in the social reform, nationalist and popular movements during the
latter half of the 19th and the first half of the 20th centuries in
furthering or hindering the discourse of communalism has been
thoroughly examined. Historians have also shown the differences
between inter-religious and inter-sectarian strife in south Asian
premodernity, and communal conflict in colonial and post-colonial
India. Similarly the sociology of communalism, revealing its
constitutive connection with modern ideologies of caste, is now
available to us. So also an analysis of the growth of communalism
that attributes it to economic backwardness, class disparities,
state-sponsored developmentalism and big science is not hard to cull.
Since the beginning of the 1990s, traditional Marxist analyses of
communalism have been supplemented by an examination of the effects
of economic liberalisation and globalisation on the hardening of
communalist positions and the funding of communal organisations,
whether Hindu, Muslim or Sikh.

Nor is there any dearth of political studies that correlate the
demands, successes and failures of participatory democracy,
representative government, the multiparty system and electoral
politics with the changing fortunes of communalism. In political
philosophy, many scholars have tried to understand the relationships
between, on the one hand, communalism, and on the other, nationalism,
secularism, religious belief, colonialism, fundamentalism, separatist
movements, culture, traditions of inter-religious harmony,
liberalism, tolerance, and so on. There is an emergent discourse on
communalism and fascism, and one can anticipate comparative work on
communalism and racism. In legal theory there is at least some effort
to draw a Venn diagram demonstrating the intersection of the history
of personal law regimes, constitutional rights pertaining to the
freedom of religion and religious conversion, the powers and
responsibilities of the secular state, the role of the judiciary, and
communalism. It is also not difficult to put together a dossier of
landmark judgments, acts and bills on matters relating to
communalism. Similarly, some investigations of the psychology of
communalism and communal violence are present in the literature. The
anthropology of violence has naturally homed-in on communal riots and
communities of riot-survivors as objects of study. In modern Indian
languages, particularly Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu, Bengali and English,
the entire genre of partition literature centres round communalism;
more recently the riot has served as much as a source for literary
representation as for ethnographic data. In gender studies there has
been an attempt to triangulate women, communalism and the law; to
show the important relationship between the construction of women's
identity and communal identity; and to record the accounts of women
who have been the victims of communal violence.

Outside the organised disciplines, citizens' groups have extensively
documented communal violence and its aftermath, in text and on film,
in the form of reports, narratives, statistics, interviews, etc. They
have also investigated the breakdown of the law and order machinery
during episodes of communal conflict, especially the nefarious role
of the police, armed forces, and other state apparatuses, and made
their findings publicly available. The Internet serves as an ideal
site for the circulation of such information. Documentary filmmakers
and filmmakers in parallel cinema have helped build an impressive
body of fictional as well as non-fictional films on this theme.
Photographers have always had a special part to play in raising the
nation's conscience through their images of communal violence. In
addition, more or less organised anti-communal awareness campaigns
and protest movements routinely produce tracts, pamphlets, posters,
songs, journals, plays and other educational materials for
performance and distribution among the general public, especially
students. Some groups have also, over time, organised concerts, art
shows and other cultural expressions to promote communal harmony.
Often times the musical or other outcomes of these events are
commercially available. Newspaper, magazine, TV and radio reports of
communal activities and violence, in all major Indian languages
constitute a huge archive on their own.

In other words, there is no paucity of materials for someone seeking
to construct an undergraduate or postgraduate syllabus about
communalism in India today. The questions then are: How are these
materials to be collected, organised and taught in a systematic and
reasoned manner even as the raison d'etre of a course of this kind is
to alert young citizens to the dangers of communalism and make them
antipathetic towards it? What kind of training and preparation would
the instructor herself require before she could take on the
responsibility of such interested pedagogy? What are the ethics of
teaching against the subject that is being taught? Is there some
danger that anti-communal mobilisation will become domesticated once
it is incorporated into academic syllabi, and thereby lose its
political efficacy, its critical edge, as it were? Can those who are
very committed to an anti-communal politics be trusted to teach in a
rational and dispassionate manner? Conversely, can uninterested
teachers be trusted to get across an unequivocally anti-communal
message whilst teaching about communalism?

II

An experiment in teaching against communalism is currently being
conducted at the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), in
Bangalore. Final year LLB as well as first and second year LLM
students have the option of taking a seminar titled 'Casteism,
Communalism and the Law: An Introduction' taught by this author. The
class runs from October 2002 to January 2003, under the aegis of the
Centre for the Study of Casteism, Communalism and the Law, a new
entity within the school managed out of the department of sociology
at the NLSIU. Students are aged 21-23 on average, and the class size
is over 40, of which no less than 30 are present on any given day.1

The details - strengths or gaps - of this particular syllabus aside,
what is the typical dynamic in a classroom of this sort? The teacher
is forced to ask herself: Are there enough, or indeed any students
from minority communities represented in the class? If, for example,
there are absolutely no Muslim students enrolled, then does that
necessarily affect the general direction of debate, and the final
consensus that may or may not be reached? Do others take up the
position of those who are absent? These types of questions routinely
come up regarding Black and other minority students on American
campuses. In India, do students speak as members of religious
communities, or as citizens, or does their voice alternate between
these two identities? What is the exact point when a person stops
arguing in a rational disinterested fashion, and assumes the role of
defender or spokesperson of the community to which she belongs? What
topics suddenly spark an emotional response, irrupting the structure
of an on-going discussion?

I found, for instance, that a module on 'Rama and the Ramayana in the
Political Imagination of Modern India' elicited a heated reaction
from my class, and helped put many of the broader themes of the
course on the table.2 We talked about the porous - or shifting - line
between religion and culture, the relationship between political
mobilisation and cultural and/or religious symbols, the place of
history versus that of mythology in identity politics, the persistent
role of the past in the present, the difference between religious
belief and religious ideology, or Hinduism and Hindutva, and so on.
It might appear that this topic, of the Rama figure and the Ramayana
narrative, is rather literary, and cannot speak much to the problem
of communalism. But my hunch, that choosing so recognisable a
civilisational icon would crystallise some abstract questions for
the students, while simultaneously grounding the current communal
conflict in deeper cultural politics, in fact turned out to be
correct. A religious discourse would proceed along one axis of the
'meaning' of Rama and Ramayana; social science has its own work of
exegesis cut out for it.

We discussed not only the historicity of Rama cults and the
traditions of performance and worship associated with this hero/deity
all over south, south-east and east Asia, but also present-day issues
before the Indian nation: Ram Janmabhumi, Ram mandir, and, in the
aftermath of Gujarat 2002, the ominous reverberation of the slogan
'Jai Shri Ram'. It does seem to be necessary to engage cultural
artifacts - across religious traditions - head-on within the social
scientific framework. The idea here is certainly not to invent a
separate social science for India, as critical indigenists have
repeatedly suggested (failing, apparently, to see the absurdity of
such a plan). It is not even principally to explore what cultural
texts and practices are about in and of themselves, but rather to
understand what they come to mean in given socio-historical contexts,
and how they are used to create, represent and mobilise communities.
The identities of groups are more often than not grounded in acts of
collective interpretation, and we need not only to examine the
objects of interpretation, but also the interpretive act itself, to
grasp better what drives the subjects of interpretation in their
groupness.

III

In trying to comprehend why and how group identity is performed, in
particular communal identity, surely the key is to achieve some
insight into violence. However, violence is difficult to address in a
pedagogic context, or so I've felt. Common sense dictates that
violence against women has a special place in women's studies, racial
violence in the study of racism - so also there is no getting around
communal violence in a syllabus about communalism (or indeed caste
violence in a syllabus about casteism). The question is how to make
sure, on the one hand, that the entire course isn't overwhelmed by
this single theme of violence; and, on the other hand, how to ensure
that the discussion of violence doesn't become pornographic,
inflammatory or in some other way ethically questionable. There is
also the more philosophically complex problem of whether, in
attempting to discover the meaning of a violent act, we aren't
somehow justifying it. A semiotics of violence should not end up in a
justification of it.

In the event of having to decide what to prescribe on a reading list
and what to leave out without recourse, in advance, to a
well-developed theory about positioning violence as a topic of
pedagogy, I found myself making all sorts of pragmatic choices. I
included sections of Valentine Daniel's Charred Lullabies: Chapters
in an Anthropography of Violence, even though it is a difficult book
for an undergraduate class, but excluded Appadurai's essay 'Dead
Certainty: Ethnic Violence in the Era of Globalisation' [Appadurai
1998]. I spoke to my students at length about the latter, but
couldn't bring myself to ask them to read it for themselves.
Television coverage and news magazine images of the Gujarat violence
have been explicit enough, but I could not screen Gopal Menon's
documentary 'Hey Ram! Genocide in the Land of Gandhi' for my class. I
have to confess that these were intuitive preferences and I exercised
nothing more or less than a teacher's prerogative in prescribing or
proscribing materials. But in future I would like to have access to a
philosophically robust and empirically grounded principle on the
basis of which to determine how and how much to focus on violence.
Right now it's not clear to me whether such a principle would come
from a theory of education, from social scientific theory, from the
discipline of psychology, or from some mixture of all these. The
experiences of other teachers in dealing with the subject of violence
in classrooms across the country would serve as a valuable input for
comparative assessment and learning.

In the course of the semester a senior colleague at NLSIU asked me to
help him, informally, in preparing a public lecture he was to
deliver, on 'The Problems of Social Harmony in India'. He suggested
that I draw on the readings in my syllabus about Casteism,
Communalism and the Law to point him in the right direction. It was
then it struck me that we had discussed threadbare in this class
every aspect of social conflict, but had never really turned to the
idea of social harmony, and the related ideas of 'national
integration' and 'unity-in-diversity'. Have these ideas become
non-objects in Indian social science? Or are they, as erstwhile
slogans of the secular state, as official constructions left over
from the Congress Party era, merely objects of ridicule for
contemporary social scientists? Or can we perhaps see through them to
the other side, to the philosophically complex category that is just
as important as violence, namely, its opposite, tolerance?3

Chatterjee has theorised 'toleration' in relationship to secularism,
but that was in the shadow of the demolition of the Babri Masjid a
decade ago [Chatterjee 1994]. With the riots in Gujarat we seem to
have crossed a new threshold in the widespread public acceptance as
well as the open state sponsorship of communal, especially
anti-Muslim, intolerance. Two of my students opted to work on Hate
Speech as a legal concept for their research projects due at the end
of the semester. India does not have any laws pertaining to Hate
Speech - these young legal minds wanted to argue both the need and
the form of future (or rather, by their lights, inevitable and
therefore imminent) legislation in this area. It is not just the BJP
but also the Congress that has conducted a particular kind of
election campaign in the Gujarat poll this year, the speeches of
candidates from all sides being equally offensive. The message of
intolerance is being broadcast all over the land, both by those who
are in power and by those who aspire to it. One logical reaction
would be to prepare ourselves legally to deal with its growing
entailments in our political practice, whether they be shockingly
communal election speeches or other ideological propaganda materials
full of hate and unabashedly so - posters, CDs, films, pamphlets, etc.

Appadurai (1998) has talked about 'political obscenity' in the
context of especially cruel, indeed inhuman, acts of ethnic violence.
But such obscenity has now spilled over from the domain of brute
physical force into the hitherto-civil realm of language and other
symbolic representation too. When a kar sevak en route to Ayodhya to
build a temple over the ruins of the Babri mosque (and of our secular
polity) sings a Ram bhajan, it is not a simple expression of his
devotion to his god, free of the desire to taunt his Muslim
countrymen. Gone are the days when a painting of Shivaji or a statue
of Ambedkar could be read as the carriers of innocent meanings, like
Marathi pride or dalit pride. Prejudice is the ugly Siamese twin of
such pride - the two always go together. No glorification of the self
today is untainted by the denigration of the other (if indeed it ever
was). Hence the difficulty, faced equally by the Sangh parivar and by
the fundamentalist ideologues across the border, in constructing a
believable narrative for their respective nations, the Hindu rashtra
and Pakistan, both of which, like it or not, carry the baggage of an
already always miscegenated history. Is it not important, then, to
address ourselves afresh to the enfeebled and attenuated notions of
harmony and tolerance, to recharge them with a sense of purpose? Is
there any other way to make sense of our past, to live out our
present and to imagine our future as an irresistibly plural and
prolific people?

Simeon (2001) has pointed out that one of the biggest analytic
failures of Indian social science was to get taken in by the
segmented character of communalism on the subcontinent, and to see
instead Muslim, Hindu, Sikh and other communalisms. These have all
along been understood as distinct, with each one having its own
history, structure and effects upon the nation. He argues that in
fact there is only one phenomenon, namely, Indian communalism, and
this is really nothing other than the Indian version of fascism. We
should look back and recognise this unitary force as the cause and
driver of the partition (and, extrapolating from such an insight,
also perhaps of the many wars with Pakistan since then, and the many
communal conflagrations that have occurred within the country since
1947). Elsewhere in the world, the basis of fascism is usually a
'fabricated and exclusive ethnic identity'. In India there are many
such identities, hence the misleading appearance of discrete and
dissimilar communal discourses. In actuality communalism in India has
a generic character, that Simeon tries to capture:

Indian fascism's ideological method defines democracy in arithmetical
rather than institutional terms, despises democratic values; and
accords superiority to hateful ethnic mobilisation over the
requirements of civic order and criminal justice. It uses so-called
traditional values to express a fear of women and hostility to gender
equality; it also glorifies violence as a 'masculine' virtue.

Further Simeon points out that the currency of communalism - a term
that he uses interchangeably with 'Indian fascism' - is sentiment. In
a situation of conflict, we hear of communal 'passions' being
inflamed, of the 'feelings' of this or that community being hurt.
Very often the supposed provocation could be an event that occurred
way back in history, through the agency of individuals and groups
long dead and gone, but the reaction to this is nevertheless here and
now. It seems that in our society there are no mechanisms whatsoever
to process these free-floating emotions of hatred, anger, jealousy,
fear and humiliation - hence riots, those public detonations of
pent-up collective sentiments. But riots are just one expression of
the politics of sentiment. Simeon alerts us that:

The most significant consequence of this trend is the justification
that self-appointed guardians of morality have obtained for violence
and defiance of law, for cultural policing, book burning, and the
intimidation of artists and creative activity in general. Film
screenings have been disrupted, writers and painters threatened and
beaten up, academic work and speculation subjected to the promise of
dire consequences.

It seems to me that there is an urgent need, in such a highly charged
and oppressive environment, to develop the idea of tolerance. This
has to be a habit of mind that regulates the behavior not only of the
state towards its citizens, but of these citizens towards one
another. All parties need to keep a check on the negative emotions
and hate-filled words that have so quickly, before our very eyes,
vitiated our public life almost beyond recognition. Ironically, we
may have to begin thinking about tolerance in a systematic fashion
precisely because in the absence of such thinking the discourses that
surround us have become intolerable, certainly to anybody with the
slightest faith in democracy.

IV

Teaching against communalism necessarily means teaching for
secularism, even though there is no simple opposition - 'Ideology +A
v Ideology -A' - to be posited between the two.4 I was surprised at
the extent to which there appeared to be a natural - as opposed to a
constructed - consensus among my students that secularism as a
concept is defunct. Some thought this was because it is an import
from the west and from Christianity; others thought this was because
the Constitution had never been able to define or redefine the term
properly for India (secularism = the state's equi-distance from,
indifference to, or equal love for, all religions?). Some thought it
was always official ideology rather than popular conviction; others
thought that the Congress Party had taken secularism with it to the
grave. Some even bought into the smoke-and-mirrors doctrine of the
Hindu right that secularism is pseudo-secularism, and religious
nationalism is real secularism. No one seemed to think that
secularism was successful sometimes and fails at other times; that
even if it has lost its way it could be brought back on track; that
some synthesis could be effected between its many senses and some
significance recuperated from this new hybrid category. But no one
could deny, either, that we have no real choice than to make it work,
not in spite of or against our many religious traditions, but
precisely in their midst. Secularism may have been reduced to an
empty signifier today, but other than filling it once more with
meaning - meaning and teeth - it's not at all clear what the
political alternative might be.

As a mental exercise, I asked my students to picture a day in their
life in the Hindu rashtra. I posed to them a series of questions,
polemical and yet deadly earnest, in the style of Arundhati Roy.
Which items of their regular clothing would they be willing to give
up in the name of properly Hindu dress? Which of their beloved foods
would they happily bid farewell to? What types of music would they
gladly sacrifice for the cultural purity of this imaginary nation,
which architectural monuments would they eliminate, how many arenas
of their existence would they willingly shrink and desiccate in order
to count as dutiful citizens of this Promised Land? How would they
complete a single sentence in any modern Indian language with so many
words disallowed for being of foreign origin? What would they
remember of a past become taboo, and where would they hide their
censored memories? The fact is that Indians have no idea what the
fascist utopia actually entails. We mistake a nightmare for a dream
and wish it could come true. Those of us who yearn for some such
space, not recognising it for the dystopia it is, do so not so much
from ideological conviction as from sheer ignorance of the real
meaning of an exclusive, authoritarian majoritarian state for our
small everyday pleasures and freedoms, for our assumption that we
count, each one. Those of us who gather in the shade of our swords or
'shakhas' know that when we step out, a constitutional sun still
shines on us and under the rule of law we can breathe easy. Glib talk
in the national press and media about Gujarat being the 'laboratory'
of Hindu nationalism masks our collective inability to project
ourselves as the dissection rats in these ghastly experiments with
untruth.5

Who wants to live in Hindu rashtra? If some big national newspaper
had conducted a poll, my guess even so recently as a year agom would
have been that almost every Indian who took a moment to think about
this question would have answered, 'Not me'. But such trust in the
fundamentally secular character of our people begins to appear naive
today. The citizens of Gujarat - at least those who still have left
the freedom to vote - seem happy to choose between light and dark
shades of saffron. They are deciding the future government of their
state within the communal parameters set by the Hindu Right but
ratified or acquiesced to by all major political parties. What does
this mean? That no one wants an alternative? Or that since none seems
forthcoming - not from the discourses of politics, not from the state
or national leadership, and not from civil society - the people have
resigned themselves to a more or less communal fate? How must an
anti-communal option, one that will prevent social strife, economic
ruin, cultural impoverishment and political destruction, be created
and presented, not just to Gujaratis but to all Indians? More
importantly, how must the very desire and demand for such an option
be rekindled among ordinary folk? How are we to reject this reduction
of us - humans and citizens - to guinea pigs in the laboratories of
communal ideology?

Education may be a way. Many times I found some of my students
falling in with the on-going discussion, and then suddenly becoming
recalcitrant. At such moments, of retreating into unreflexively
communal positions that to all appearances had already been
discredited in the class by consensus, they often uttered phrases
that I felt could not have entered their heads except verbatim from
the speech of their elders. These 'sutras' of casual, everyday
communalism, picked up in the house and school from parents and
teachers, were reproduced unthinkingly, uncritically, at points in
the class-room conversation that were at first surprising to me but
later began to be predictable. Islam is rigid; Hinduism is tolerant.
Muslims are foreign; Hindus are native. Muslims provoke; Hindus
react. Today's broken mosques pay for yesterday's broken temples.
There's no such thing as Hinduism. There's no such thing as a
non-Hindu India. Hindutva is politics, Hinduism is religion; the
latter need have no fear of the former, because the spiritual
triumphs over the material. Muslims proliferate because they are
polygamous; Hindus are dwindling because they do not proselytise. We
have all heard such things said, at the dinner table, in front of the
television, and at other sites of bourgeois domesticity. The domestic
sphere is where adults air their frankest prejudices and children
absorb them. Sometimes stereotyped images of self and other, folk
theories about belonging and exclusion, solidarity and enmity, that
would have been at hand in the privacy of the home, spilled out into
the quasi-public space of the classroom. When a very deep chord of
such unprocessed - primordial? - conviction was touched, some of my
students could not filter out, either by following the dictates of
reason or by deferring to the protocols of civility, the communal
attitudes they had heard expressed in the family environment.

Not even the pressure, implicit in the very nature of the
power-imbalance between teacher and student, to conform to what could
be construed as my position, nor the embarrassment at being
immediately contradicted by more politically-correct classmates,
helped contain these communal articulations from time to time. So
21-year olds pronounced wisely on Nehru's failures, Indira Gandhi's
wiles, Rajiv Gandhi's blunders, and V P Singh's mistakes. Their
interpretations of the recent past of our nation were remarkably
assured. They seemed to remember the partition, the emergency, the
anti-Sikh riots of 1984, the anti-Mandal agitation, Babri Masjid,
Pokharan, and Godhra, not merely as members of a TV-watching,
movie-going generation, but as though they had been there. I was
grateful that this kind of visceral identification with a given
community did not extend into the remote past. For that would have
made these young minds feverishly relive centuries of war, invasion,
genocide, desecration, and thus experience, as if first-hand, the
agonies of a history imagined, anachronistically, to be riven by
communal strife.

A syllabus is easily constructed; a literature review smoothly
conducted. The problem here is of trying to communicate a set of
values through a self-reflexive, self-critical, ethical and yet
interventionist pedagogy. It is hard to open anyone's mind. But the
young are receptive, ready to revise their views - which as we have
seen, are often really the undigested views of their parents - if
persuaded by rational means. Teaching against communalism may be a
way prevent the fearful dream of a Hindu rashtra from becoming a
reality that no one, let's face it, could possibly want to trade for
a life in secular democratic India.

Notes

1 The part of the course that focuses on casteism is not discussed in
this article. For a copy of her taught syllabus on 'Casteism,
Communalism and the Law', readers may write to the author.
2 The title for this module was suggested by Sheldon Pollock,
Pollock, Sheldon (1993): 'Ramayana and Political Imagination in
India' in The Journal of Asian Studies, Vol 52, No 2, May, 261-97.
3 Let us grant that no one in our public sphere even half-heartedly
invokes the literal contrastive of violence, viz, non-violence, any
more. At this point in our history as a nation, from no end of the
political spectrum, along any axis, of caste, community, class or
ideology, do we hear any invocation whatsoever of Gandhi's ahimsa as
a principle of personal ethics or civic life.
4 Being secular does not merely mean being anti-communal!
5 The other word besides 'laboratory' that I find problematic in the
media's frequent use of it to describe Gujarat, is 'showcase' - that
unfortunate state is simultaneously a laboratory and a showcase for
the ideological and practical workings of Hindutva. What does the
experiment here consist in? Communalising minds and dividing people?
What are the new products of this experimentation that get proudly
displayed to the rest of the nation? Better ways to rape and kill
humans, to burn and loot property, to make a mockery of the
institutions of law and order? The Sangh parivar may be using such
vocabulary in their internal publications - why do the national press
and TV channels repeat these words and give them general currency? We
have to be vigilant lest even seemingly innocent acts of reference
become acts of validation. The semantics of communalism can permeate
and infect our very language to the point that we find ourselves
saying things we do not mean, complicit, willy-nilly, in an ideology
we do not subscribe to.