[sacw] SACW #1 | 13 Mar. 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:12:04 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire - Dispatch #1 | 13 March 2002

* For daily news updates & citizens initiatives in post riots=20
Gujarat Check: http://www.sabrang.com
** Also see new information & analysis section on the recent Communal=20
Riots in Gujarat on the SACW web site: http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/

__________________________

#1. What Pakistan should do while India continues to threaten war (M B Naqv=
i)
#2 India Update - The latest on the battle against fascism (Sonia Jabbar)
#3. No Real Peace Till NaMo Rules Gujarat (Batuk Vora)
#4. It had to be done, VHP leader says of riots (Sheela Bhatt )
#5. A number of people's organizations including NAPM, WAMA, Fasiwad=20
Virodhi Jan Abhiyan, IPTA, Sampradayikta Virodhi Abhiyan, have=20
decided to come together out on the streets to protest against the=20
temple construction programme of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (14-15 March=20
in Lucknow)
#6. Misuse of voters list in Gujarat riots alleged
#7. 'Citizens against Communalism' congregation in Calcutta on 15 March
#8. Negotiating with the VHP is a bit like writing on water=20
(Editorial, Indian express)
#9. Ground for Future Shock (Ashis Chakrabarti)

__________________________

# 1.

http://jang.com.pk/thenews/mar2002-daily/13-03-2002/oped/o4.htm
The News International Wednesday March 13, 2002-

How to stump Sushma -- and Atalji
by M B Naqvi

The PTV debate between India's Information Minister Sushma Swaraj and=20
Talat Hussain on Friday evening was high on entertainment and low in=20
utility. It heavily underscored the utter impasse into which the two=20
countries have stumbled into. Any diplomatic tete a tete between the=20
two countries' officials can, on present assumptions, scarcely=20
achieve anything more substantial. India remains determined to=20
prevent any mediation on Kashmir and until Pakistan actually does "on=20
the ground" what Sushma said Pakistan government has been precisely=20
told to do, India will neither withdraw its troops from the borders=20
nor restore the sundered communication links, enhance each other's=20
diplomatic presence or ease up on the visa regime. In fact, India=20
will continue to threaten war.

Past policies of Pakistan, especially on national security and=20
Kashmir, have ended into the blind alley, which is the current=20
eyeball-to-eyeball confrontation. All Islamabad can do, thus, is to=20
sit on its hands and wait -- for what? A war that may never come,=20
except as an accident or irrational decision of either side. Meantime=20
the hopes of expanding trade and investments, apart from the expense=20
of forward deployment, are unlikely to be fulfilled. Economic=20
turnaround, so necessary even for arresting the growing unemployment=20
and poverty, may remain an aspiration. Economic prosperity, whatever=20
this government means by it, will continue to elude. The regime is=20
required to legitimise itself through elections of some kind. That=20
requires normalcy and peaceful conditions and not war hysteria. These=20
conditions are being denied by India. War-like conditions and=20
electioneering do not gel; polls may have to wait for a quieter time.=20
But the regime does not have unlimited time at its disposal.

Pakistan's new or old foreign friends are of no avail. The UK has=20
spoken for the US, with EU and Japan concurring, that 'terrorism in=20
Kashmir has to end before India-Pakistan dialogue can be resumed'.=20
This is as good as saying: satisfy India that you have done your duty=20
by restraining terrorism in Kashmir -- the very thing Sushma said:=20
Pakistan knows what precisely to do. Islamabad, or rather CE Gen=20
Pervez Musharraf, is thus on the horns of a painful dilemma: if he=20
does restrain the Jihadis in Kashmir -- the true Indian demand --=20
which is the logical extension of what he did about Taliban, it will=20
set up a dangerous backlash. Or so he is likely to be advised. If he=20
refuses, he traps himself into the current quandary of the no war and=20
no peace, complete with all the impediments of an actual war for the=20
expected investments; and the regime's other political hopes might=20
become somewhat unrealistic or difficult to be fulfilled. The country=20
and its people are becoming perplexed and despondent about the=20
future, creating a troubled rear for the troops on war deployment.

Since there are no democratic institutions with authority, this=20
momentous decision has to be taken by one man -- on the advice of=20
perhaps 12 to 15 Lt. Generals. Others' unsought advice is likely to=20
be unwelcome. Even so, a duty devolves on political commentators and=20
indeed all aware citizens to pronounce on national issues, especially=20
in a time of crisis whether or not they are heeded. The only feasible=20
advice today, given the situation, is to bite the bullet and do as=20
the US, UK, EU, Japan and India are asking him to do -- a logical=20
corollary almost of his policy switch on Afghanistan.

There is enough reason for a radical rethink. The old policy on=20
Kashmir -- pursued for 54 years -- has not brought Pakistan any=20
closer to its real desire: Kashmir Valley becoming a part of=20
Pakistan. It was the result of misconceived militaristic approach.=20
Its only rationale was that when push comes to the shove there,=20
Pakistan Army can go in and administer a coup de grace. Later=20
Pakistan's possible nuclear punch provided the shield behind which a=20
Jihad could proceed in Kashmir. Well, the results of three regular=20
wars and the quasi or a third of a nuclear war going on in the minds=20
of the two general staffs since the Kargil skirmishes have ended in=20
what is mutual impotence. And Almighty be praised for it.

The point is that a misplaced imperial attitude that underlies the=20
militarist thinking has led to 70,000 young Kashmiri Muslims losing=20
their lives in pursuit of a basically unrealistic policy. Whatever=20
strength Pakistan can build India can do more. With an economic base=20
many times richer it can outspend Pakistan into insolvency, a la=20
USSR. It is time it is dropped. And a new Kashmir policy, more=20
reasonable and realistic, is not hard to be devised by insisting on=20
non-violence and Kashmiris waging their own political struggles for=20
their own rights themselves. That will be more effective. Remember=20
the Subcontinent's independence was won by a non-violent struggle.

But that change will not immediately or automatically dissolve the=20
current political and diplomatic impasse, being made worse by=20
increasing communal polarisation in India, not to mention the BJP=20
leadership's arrogant style. Pakistan government, both substantively=20
and tactically for the present, has to find an answer to India's=20
bilateralism mantra. Bilateralism suits a militarily strong player of=20
power politics, especially if it has imperialistic objectives in=20
view. Pakistan has tried to recruit support from powerful nations of=20
the west since 1954 -- and got some of it for a while. But whenever=20
Pakistan needed it most in crises, no one came to its aid. Even=20
politically involving third parties in its disputes with India has=20
just not worked. And yet it has to find an answer: logically, it can=20
only be unilateralism. Do what is right yourself and speedily and=20
hope for the best.

Pakistan thus needs to de-link all its policies from India. It must=20
do what it thinks is right and can be done within its own resources=20
and by its own strength. Islamabad must not ape the great powers,=20
thinking it is the legatee of the Great Mughals. No colonial or=20
imperial motives for us, thank you. Our chief priority has to be=20
domestic prosperity of our people -- actual common men, women and=20
children's concrete and verifiable welfare and amidst all human=20
freedoms. Peace and a good deal of actual disarmament are therefore a=20
must for Pakistan. The present military establishment is too big for=20
the size of the economy there is. So long as Pakistan goes on running=20
an arms race with India, avowed or un-avowed, there will be no hope=20
for the economy's true revival, what to speak of popular welfare.

What, leave India to go on with its military build up in all=20
conceivable fields and not to strengthen Pakistan's national=20
security! And yet the fact is that Pakistanis have been=20
unsuccessfully chasing the chimera of a 1:3 power ratio with India=20
all these years. What is the net result today? A decrepit debt-ridden=20
economy in which economic decision-making has been delegated to=20
creditors and World Bank Group. A Kashmir bleeding to death under=20
Indian jackboots, with Pakistan actually weighing how to slip out of=20
the foolish commitments. The political life has been ravaged by a=20
succession of self-important Men-on-Horseback, a weak and splintered=20
politics increasing provincial disharmony and with no democratic=20
institutions working. Most of it is because of an unsustainable and=20
militaristic Kashmir policy and the arms race that goes with it. Now,=20
it is clearly becoming impossible to keep up with the Indian Joneses.

Let unilateralism be Pakistan's watchword. If Ms. Swaraj says troops=20
cannot be withdrawn and communication links cannot be restored, let=20
the Islamabad policy be to restore those links, withdraw its own=20
troops to their formal stations, give maximum relaxation in the visa=20
regime for the Indians courageously and ask Indian High Commission to=20
increase their strength to as much as they like -- without asking for=20
any reciprocal action. National security cannot be seriously=20
compromised by troops returning to normal stations. Let India be=20
ignored in all our policy making. As for longer-term National=20
Security, if the Pakistanis are free and feel secure today it is not=20
because of Islamabad's military expenditures. The real reason for=20
that is: there is no cognisable external threat to Pakistan; the only=20
threat is from the inside for which the armed forces can provide no=20
solution, having been a part of the problem. An India dominated by=20
Hindutva adherents will, if necessary, invent a new Pakistan if we=20
stop giving them political ammunition.

The point is Pakistan must jettison needless baggage and restart the=20
journey to the goal of a happy and prosperous Pakistan in which the=20
people count and where all policies are made by them and for their=20
own well-being.

_____

#2.