[sacw] SACW #2 | 8 Mar. 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 02:09:17 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire - Dispatch #2 | 08 March 2002

[Greetings to all on the International Women's Day 8th of March !!]
Defend Secular Space, defend womens rights, Speak up Against your
local Bigots and Peddlers of Hate in the name of religion & culture
!!

__________________________

2 articles by Feminists from Pakistan and India

#1. Time for reassessment of the women's movement in Pakistan (Anis Haroon)
#2. True to its origins - recalling of International Women's Day
(March 8) in India (Urvashi Butalia )

++++++ On the Murder & Mayhem in Gujrat, India ++++++

#3. Instability in India (Op-Ed. in The New York Times )
#4. Religion Cannot Hijack the Polity (Kancha Ilaiah)
#5. Boot out the chief minster of Gujrat [ says a Hindutva
supporter] (Pritish Nandy)
#6. 'The Gujarat carnage is a source of collective shame to Indians'
(Dr Richard W Lariviere)
#7. Journey to a temple of hate: The rootless Hindu's warped search
for identity (A Srinivas)
#8. The moment of truth (Sukhmani Singh)
#9. Dr.Berwa and a delegate meet with Indian Ambassador in Washington D.C.
#10. 56 Thousand homeless in Gujarat (BBC)
#12. India in flames (Editorial, Japan Times)
#13. Gujarat events state terrorism, ban VHP: Shankaracharya

________________________

#1.

DAWN

Time for reassessment
By Anis Haroon

The women's movement in Pakistan has come of age! It all began with
discriminatory laws promulgated by Ziaul Haq in 1979. The so-called
Islamization process was directed towards making women and minorities
second-class citizens of Pakistan. Whether it was in the law of
evidence, qisas and diyat, zina ordinance or the appointment of
judges, women and minorities found themselves discriminated against.
For instance, the evidence of two women was considered to be equal to
that of a man. The testimony of four adult Muslim males was required
for the hudd punishment. A female victim received only half the
compensation as that of a male and women and members of minority
faiths were disallowed from being appointed judges.
The total impact of these measures was far more profound. The mullahs
and the religious parties used the occasion to create space for an
anti-women environment. They were encouraged by the state to push
women back from the public space they had come to occupy over the
years. There was a deliberate attempt to close the doors of technical
and scientific education for girls. They were banned from sports
which were open to spectators. In order to avoid the male gaze they
were advised to don chadars and remain in chardevari for their safety.
The women who decided to challenge this onslaught were mostly
professionals from the urban middle class. It led to the emergence of
the Women's Action Forum in 1981 in Karachi. Lahore and Islamabad
soon followed suit. Besides individuals, political activist and
existing organizations for women's rights joined the platform. Though
women have been participating in political activities since long but
it was for the first time that an independent women's movement
emerged on the national scene. The state retaliated and came down
with a heavy hand on a peaceful procession against the law of
evidence on February 12, 1983 in Lahore. The women were baton charged
and arrested. This incident triggered off international reaction and
enhanced the political appeal of WAF.
The Women's Action Forum kept on challenging every anti-woman move
and broke the silence on many issues such as rape and domestic
violence. The laws did not get repealed but were watered down in some
cases. To this day WAF carries the radical image it had in the early
days of its inception and continues to play a confrontational role as
was generally expected of it.
But the scenario has changed in the post-Zia era. The expectations
from the political leadership and parties were not fulfilled. The
activism of WAF was replaced by a number of NGOs started off by its
own members.
WAF being a voluntary, non-hierarchical and non-funded organization
suffered a setback. The practice of political activism and
voluntarism receded fast. A new breed of professionals is now taking
charge of creating women's empowerment in Pakistan. Will they be able
to deliver? Do we not need a radical women's movement any more? Are
NGOs capable of generating a movement? These are the issues
confronting the women's movement in Pakistan today.
The tendency to define gender development projects as activism is
false in most cases. It has taken away much of the dynamism, vitality
and political edge from the movement. Recently we had a very
interesting interaction on activism between three generations of
women from different walks of life. They termed activism as radical,
spontaneous, collective and timely action. The participants
identified selfless commitment to a vision, fearless struggle and
anger as the qualities which were the essence of a movement, and
rightly so. A movement needs a coherent ideological base to acquire a
vision. De we all have a vision based on political, social and
cultural embodiments? We need to ask ourselves. We should be able to
reflect on our failures honestly.
Some of us argue that times have changed. Have they really changed
for the women of Pakistan? If the answer is 'NO' perhaps we need to
re-evaluate the situation and change our focus in the right direction.
The women's movement has to address the 'class' issues in Pakistan.
We need to be inclusive in order to expand our base. If it remains
confined to urban centres only the movement cannot flourish.
Another important challenge is to involve the younger generation, no
matter what it takes. If the older generation of activists fail to
inspire them let us prepare them to make their own organization,
based on the principles of activism which they have outlined
themselves.
The author is the Resident Director, Aurat Foundation, Karachi.
Author of Bara hai dard ka rishta.

_____

#2.

DAWN 03 March 2002

True to its origins
By Urvashi Butalia

International Women's Day (March 8) brings back many memories for me.
If I remember rightly, we started to 'celebrate' this day only in the
mid-seventies. At the time, women's groups from different political
persuasions would meet to discuss which issue to take up. Many of our
early discussions focused on whether this was a day to 'celebrate' or
whether we should use the day to mark the deterioration of women's
status generally or bring a particular issue to attention. Often, we
opted for the latter for by the time we had finished with our
discussions, the realization would dawn on us afresh that there was
very little to celebrate.
I remember one particular time when we were deeply involved in the
campaigns against rape and dowry. The theme we chose for the March 8
that year was called: 'kokh ke andhere se kabr ke andhere tak' (from
the darkness of the womb to the darkness of the grave). Another time
we took up the issue of women's health and the damage being caused by
injectable contraceptives. In the year following the furore over the
Muslim Women's Protection of Rights on Divorce Act, we took up the
issue of the rights of minority women.
Each time, the women's day would be preceded by a campaign on the
issue we'd decided on, and the day itself represented a culmination
of the campaign. It took the form of a march or demonstration, or
simply a public assembly.
There were also times we celebrated - with songs, dances, food,
posters, exhibitions of paintings, the sale of books and pamphlets,
of crafts made by women. Or, sometimes the celebrations came after
the demonstrations and marches, and we'd get together in the house of
one or other woman, pay our few rupees towards the simple meal of dal
and roti that was laid on, and simply let our hair down.
Of course, the discussions were not without angst and conflict and
strife. Often, there would be tensions and strong differences between
women's groups who saw themselves as 'autonomous' or independent, and
those affiliated to political parties, particularly those of the
left. There were times at which tensions were so sharp that no common
ground could be reached, and I think there was one time when we even
ended up having two separate marches! But the day itself remained
something that had a firmly activist base, that continued to be
located inside the women's movement.
Much has changed since then. Some years ago, the state came in as an
actor on women's day and very soon, different ministries and
departments were organizing their own versions of conferences and
discussions for this day. These stretched into melas and fairs and
seminars, the idea being to take the day from the streets into
offices. And predictably, it wasn't long before the market stepped in.
Before we quite knew what was happening, International Women's Day
was being celebrated by makers of cold cream and shampoo and hair
oil, with huge campaigns being mounted on television and in the
newspapers. The co-option of women's day was well and truly in gear !
Over time, other actors came in: colleges, research institutes,
embassies...everyone wanted to do something. So now, we have not only
the day itself, but several days, sometimes even the whole week,
preceding it, which is full of events which are structured around
this day. The marches and demonstrations still take place, but
something seems to have changed. It's as if too much is happening,
and at the same time, as if the energy levels of activists have
dropped so that the marches and demonstrations we once held, don't
have the same kind of 'zing' any more.
But it's not only that energy levels have gone down. I think the
change in the shape and form of marking International Women's Day is
of a piece with the changes inside the women's movement itself. Over
the years, street level activism has given way to other, different
forms of protest. Many middle-class activists have moved into
institutional positions, while others write, research, publish or
talk as a form of protest and resistance.
Also, and importantly, the issues at stake have become so much more
complex that it no longer seems to be enough to simply draw attention
to them through a march or a demonstration. Then, there are other
things: in the last few years the issues taken up by women's groups
have related to questions of housing rights for the poor, or the
tricky issue of sexuality and the rights of sexual minorities, or the
growing menace of communalism and fundamentalism, all of which
require strategies which go beyond street level protest.
The important thing however, is that of all the actors who have now
begun to appropriate this day, the only ones who remain true to its
origins, while bringing in new and different issues, are women's
groups. Only they know that this day marked a protest for the rights
of women workers, and that its focus on the underprivileged, its
importance for those on the margins, is the most significant thing
about it. No amount of co-opting can take this history away from the
women's movement, not only in India but all over the world.

_____

#3.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/07/opinion/_07THU2.html
The New York Times March 7, 2002 | Op-Ed.

Instability in India

Several days of rioting in the western Indian state of Gujarat have
left hundreds of Muslims and Hindus dead and stirred anxiety
throughout the nation and the region. At a time when South Asia is on
edge because of religious hatred and the war in Afghanistan, the
violence makes clear that India has work to do to sustain the
sectarian harmony that Mohandas K. Gandhi, the independence leader,
championed in Gujarat more than 50 years ago.

The ghastly images from India of neighborhoods torched, trains
attacked and passengers slaughtered recall the upheavals after
India's independence and partition from Pakistan in 1947. The Gujarat
riots, centered in Ahmedabad and the town of Godhra, also echo the
violence that erupted in the same region in the 1980's. The main
provocation this time has been the attempt by Hindu fanatics to build
a temple on the supposed site of the Hindu god Ram's birthplace in
the northern Indian city of Ayodhya.

The current cycle of killing began in 1992, when a mob of Hindus
demolished the mosque that stood on that site, which Muslims say was
built by the Moghul conqueror Babur 400 years ago. The attack on the
mosque led to Hindu-Muslim bloodletting in Bombay. The current Hindu
nationalist government of Atal Behari Vajpayee, which has broad
support among Hindu extremists, has condemned any attempts by Hindus
to build a temple on the sacred site in Ayodhya. The home minister,
L. K. Advani, who in the past has supported Hindu revivalism, has
said the government would not allow freelance extremists to put up a
temple unless such construction were approved by the courts and
accepted by the Muslims.

The pledges by Mr. Vajpayee and Mr. Advani have been welcome, but
they and their government must do more to curb the fanaticism of
groups that support their government. India's leaders have demanded
that Pakistan's president, Gen. Pervez Musharraf, act more forcefully
to curb violent groups in his nation. Mr. Vajpayee and Mr. Advani
need to meet with groups of all religions to head off additional
eruptions of ethnic violence.

It has lately become fashionable to characterize India as an
artificial creation, a relic of the British empire that is so
balkanized by myriad religious, linguistic, caste, ethnic and racial
groups that only a breakup of the country can bring peace. That is a
misinformed view. Most of India's one billion citizens reside in
nearly 600,000 villages across the country - almost all of which are
divided along the same sectarian lines that divide the country.
Indians cannot be uprooted and reassembled by ethnic group. They have
to live together in a nation that respects diversity, democracy and
secularism in government. The riots of the last week have set back
that cause.

_____

#4.

The Times of India MARCH 08, 2002

Major Priorities
KANCHA ILAIAH

Religion Cannot Hijack the Polity
The Vishwa Hindu Parishad has been saying that it would not be bound
by any court judgment on the question of building the Ram mandir at
the disputed site in Ayodhya. It has also rejected the insistence of
the BJP-led Central government that it should abide by the verdict of
the judiciary. It is no secret that the VHP is part of the BJP and
RSS and all of them draw sustenance from Hindu spiritual-political
thought. How can an organisation that operates within India publicly
say that it does not have to respect the authority of the state?
Second, how and why can it so easily declare that it will not comply
with a judicial decision if it goes against its faith?
In the recent past, particularly since the Mandal judgment which drew
a laxman rekha of 50 per cent for positive discrimination - all court
judgments are viewed as binding and no organisation can publicly
undermine the judiciary. If the Dalits and OBCs were to declare that
they were not bound by the Mandal judgment, such a statement would
have been treated as contempt of court. We have seen how the court
has dealt with Arundhati Roy and Medha Patkar on the Narmada issue.
There is no reason why the apex court or high courts should not
charge those who are calling for a negation of judicial norms with
contempt of court.
In effect, by these actions, the Hindu religion, in the context of
the existence of many religions in India, is not only majoritarian
but has also declared itself to be above the state. There is a
historical tradition of Brahminic hegemony claiming a
spiritual-political status that is above the state. The Hindu temple
as an institution has never subordinated its functioning to the
authority of the state.
Neither the state nor the judiciary prohibited the practice of
casteism in temples. Whether in the case of Indira Gandhi, as prime
minister, being barred from entering the Puri temple or the Krishna
temple in Guruvayoor, Kerala, openly prohibiting sudras and Dalits
from entering it, the state has been a mute witness.
Though the Indian Constitution abolished untouchability, within
temples and among the priestly class, this abhorrent practice has
continued. Again the courts have never stepped in to ban such
discriminatory practices suggesting that its perpetrators were
somehow beyond reproach. In a democratic and secular state, no
temple, mosque or church should be allowed a privileged status. But,
unfortunately, the situation is different in India because the Hindu
religion has always claimed an exclusive position and has dominated
the socio-spiritual space. As a result, the state and judiciary have
not really felt too discomfited by the Hindu religion's relative
autonomy.
It is a similar trend that has gradually undermined the authority of
the state in Pakistan. In fact, many elements in the Central
government are encouraging this trend. The co-existence of political
democracy and a sort of socio-spiritual 'castocracy' seems on the
face of it a contradiction in terms. But, in fact, Hinduism has
internalised the systemic contradictions that sustain inequalities.
If these inequalities are abolished, many proponents of the supremacy
of Hinduism fear that it could well collapse like a house of cards.
The inability or unwillingness of the state to resolve such
contradictions suggests an institutionalised belief that it is in the
natural order of things for Hinduism to enjoy a privileged and
superior status.
In Pakistan, it was because of the state's tacit approval of the
superiority of Islam above all that it gradually came to undermine
the authority of the various arms of the state.
Today, things have reached such a pass that no one, irrespective of
whether it is a democratically-elected leader or a military dictator,
can make religion operate under the overall supervision of the state.
The basic philosophy of the Indian Constitution, from which the
judiciary derives its power, is built on secularism. But the nature
and tone of discourse emanating from various saffron platforms
suggests that the judiciary is being taken for granted. Such elements
have been emboldened by the ascent to power of political formations
purportedly sympathetic to the cause of Hindutva.
Indeed, there is no denying that today, there are people in crucial
public positions who seem to owe their allegiance more to their
religion than to the various institutions of a secular and democratic
state. In this atmosphere, there are increased fears among minority
religions and suppressed castes. The very state which is supposed to
ensure equal treatment to all its citizens is being seen as
succumbing to partisanship.
Similarly, in Pakistan, the state's inaction emboldened, indeed
empowered, certain religious elements to such an extent that the
jehadis among them have wreaked havoc both within Pakistan and in
other parts of the world. In fact, Pakistan has been the focus of
international opprobrium because of this. If the Pakistani state
introspects today, it will find that it did nothing to stem the
propaganda emanating from madrassas which existed parallel to
state-run schools precisely because they were seen as propagating
Islamic thought and traditions.
The Indian state and judiciary have never been too bothered by the
nature of education imparted in Hindu religious schools or in RSS
training camps. In fact, many of our elected representatives and
crucial policy-makers are deeply religious people and to them there
is no contradiction in state complicity in promoting religion. Much
has also to do with public, mainly middle class, perceptions that all
religious organisations are necessarily pious and engaged in 'good'
works. This is why they have flourished and unless we are more
vigilant there is nothing to prevent us going the Pakistan way. Faith
must revert to its original place in the personal domain, it must
never assume greater importance in the public realm than the state
and judiciary.
A part of this problem began during the nation's formative years when
spiritualised nationalism became a normative ideology of many
nationalist leaders. Tilak, Gandhi and Jinnah centred the nationalist
discourse on religion. Only two top influential leaders, Ambedkar and
Nehru, tried to oppose the infusion of religion into the heart of
nationalism. But the brand of politics that both the BJP and RSS
espouse have given religion such a pre-eminent position in public
discourse that today it threatens to overwhelm almost all other
democratic institutions through which the Indian state functions.
This could damage irreversibly our very secular fabric.

_____

#5.

"The Hindustan Times", New Delhi, March 08, 2002

Boot out Narendra Modi
Pritish Nandy

How many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
How many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind

-Bob Dylan, Blowin' in the Wind

When the Sabarmati Express was set on fire on February 27, I was
outraged. Over 50 Ram sewaks were savagely burnt to death. Many
innocent passengers died. But what angered me most was the way
Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi blamed the Godhra carnage on
Pakistani terrorists. He had, at least at that point of time, not the
slightest evidence to back his charges but he persisted with them. To
point the needle of guilt away from his own total incompetence.

Things, however, became much worse when the communal riots began.
Instead of trying to stop the rioting, which he could have easily
done, Modi deliberately and with the cold-blooded precision of a mass
murderer, allowed them to spread till more than 600 people were
killed. The reason? He was pandering to his constituency. He wanted
to show his party and those who had voted him to power that he was
punishing the Muslims for Godhra.

So he set aside his image as this effete, incompetent chief minister
and became an avenging angel of hate and retribution. The monster's
ball he hosted saw innocent men, women and children dragged out of
their homes and killed brutally.

Modi may have won back his tough guy image in the party but, for the
rest of us who live in India and swear by its values and tradition,
he looks like just another despicable criminal. What is worse, he has
damaged our image before the world. It will take months if not years
for people to accept the fact that India remains a stable,
trustworthy, liberal democracy where people do not always kill each
other on the streets to settle perceived wrongs.

It will take a long time for the wounds to heal, for overseas
investors to take us seriously, for money to find its way back into
our industries, our bourses, for Gujarat to limp back to normalcy.

It is no use boasting about being the world's largest democracy if we
cannot protect our own. After all, the Muslims who were killed in
Gujarat were not Pakistani saboteurs. They were Indians, like you and
me. Most of them were poor people trying to eke out their already
miserable lives. They had nothing to do with Godhra. To target them
was not just stupid. It was criminal and wicked and Modi, who turned
a Nelson's eye to the rioting, must be held responsible for it and
punished.

What is surprising, however, is that Modi, instead of downing his
head in shame, is openly hectoring the media. He is accusing the
press and the TV channels of misleading the people. He is insinuating
that there was a terrorist conspiracy behind the whole incident and
that the media, instead of showing up that conspiracy, chose to
exacerbate the violence by running inflammatory visuals showing homes
being set on fire, people being terrorised.

He is also, like any true-blue bigot, trying to draw a direct
connection between the Godhra carnage and the communal riots that
followed. As if the riots can be condoned because the people of
Gujarat were upset by what had happened on the Sabarmati Express.

This is a typically fascist argument. You cannot punish an entire
community for the crimes of its radical fringe. Yes, Muslim
fundamentalism is dangerous and misguided. It must be fought back. No
one has the slightest doubt about that. But you cannot fight back
Muslim fundamentalism by murdering innocent people who live in your
country and swear by your Constitution.

In fact, you will only end up stoking terrorism this way because you
lend credence to those who are trying to convince the community that
their only salvation lies in taking up the gun.

As a proud believer in Hindutva, as someone who is convinced that
India's future lies in rediscovering our heritage of free thought and
liberal tradition, I find men like Modi an insult to our political
culture. Instead of defending him, the BJP must boot him out
immediately if it wants to heal the wounds and restore its own image.

It also shames me to see that the political opposition, which should
have been far more outspoken, has chosen to downplay the terrible
events because they too do not want to lose their vote bank in
Gujarat. It is a conspiracy of silence between those who are in power
and those who are desperate to grab it. In the process, the guilty
men of Godhra will go scot-free. So will those who stage-managed the
riots under Modi's political patronage.

The judicial inquiry must cover both crimes, Godhra as well as the
riots. Those found guilty must be punished severely, as well as those
who looked the other way. The compensation offered to families must
be the same. Modi cannot be allowed to get away with offering the
families of the riot victims half of what is being offered to the
families of the Godhra victims. The cost of a life must be the same
for any Indian citizen, whatever his caste or community may be.

In this case, all those who died were innocent, trapped as they were
in the vortex of our political degradation.

_____

#6.

Tehelka.com

STRAIGHT TALK
'The Gujarat carnage is a source of collective shame to Indians'
Dr Richard W Lariviere, Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at the
University of Texas in Austin, tells Nabina Das
http://www.tehelka.com/channels/currentaffairs/2002/mar/7/ca030702prof1.htm

_____

#7.

Tehelka.com

PSYCHOHISTORY
Journey to a temple of hate
The rootless Hindu's warped search for identity, by
A Srinivas
http://www.tehelka.com/channels/commentary/2002/mar/7/com030702guj.htm

_____

#8.

The Indian Express
EDITORIALS & ANALYSIS
Friday, March 08, 2002

Reporter's Notebook
The moment of truth

Who were these young men pretending to be heroes?

SUKHMANI SINGH

Why don't these people sit at home and do pooja?' That was the
spontaneous reaction I elicited from irate, nervy passengers waiting
to board the first Varanasi-bound Marudhar Express after Godhra at
the Jaipur railway station.

Just a few minutes earlier, I had listened appalled to the stomach
churning slogans of saffron-clad VHP activists. So the contrast was
striking - it was reassuring to know that the spirit of the secular
Indian was still alive and kicking. Particularly amongst the lower
middle classes.

As 35-year-old cement plant worker Rajinder Singh summarised in his
simple Hindi,''Ram mandir ke naam par desh ki barbaadi ho rahi hai
(the country is being ruined by this Ram mandir issue). It is only
going to weaken the country.''

But perhaps the most unexpected reaction I got was from Sunita Yadav,
who had her sari pallu covering her head. She is the wife of a
sweetshop owner in Mathura,''Aadmi khoon ka pyaasa hogaya hai (man is
killing man). All this is against the Hindu sanskriti (tradition). We
are supposed to take everyone along with us, not kill them.''

Agitatedly adjusting her pallu, she declared forcefully,''There
should be both a mandir and a masjid at Ayodhya.'' Her 30-year-old
brother Ghanshyam chimed in,''I run a restaurant right at the Krishna
Janambhoomi - the mandir and masjid have a common wall here - that is
how it should be. People of all communities should live peacefully
together. Communal disturbances ruin our business.''

I walked up to a lone family of impoverished Muslims, squatting on
their baggage. Sixty-year-old Salmu, a teastall owner from Lucknow,
had come to Jaipur to escort his daughter-in-law, the proud mother of
a second child.

Surprisingly, he was supremely ignorant of the events in the country.
''Garib tapke ke admi ko apna pet palna hai, hum duniya ke peeche
nahi bhaag sakte,hum gareebon ko in baaton se kya matlab''(poor
people like me are too busy eking out a living, we cannot run after
the rest of the world, we have no interest in anything but survival).
I asked him about the Ram mandir and he shrugged,''I know nothing
about this - all I know is that we have to live and die in Bharat.''
I was shamed into silence.

Later, I visited the local VHP office where a gaggle of youths who
courted arrest had returned from the police station. They were
ecstatic, high on their moment of glory, reminiscent of youngsters
returning from a college picnic. For effect, they began shouting
blood-thirsty anti-Muslim slogans the moment I appeared.

As soon as I spoke to them, however, their false bravado crumbled.
They were like programmed robots, press an unfamiliar button and
their inner selves emerged - just a crowd of misguided youths,
obeying instructions mindlessly, without even knowing what they were
doing or why they were doing it.

'Have you come to guide us'' they asked nervously.''Yes, we have to
go to Ayodhya.'' But were they prepared to die for the mandir? Away
from their whistle-blowing leaders, they looked confused and scared.
For us all this was the moment of truth.

_____

#9.