[sacw] SACW #1 (13 Dec. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:26:17 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire - Dispatch #1 | 13 December 2001
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1. Sri Lanka: Was women's vote the secret weapon? (Cat's Eye)
#2. Pakistan...: The Beast Within ----Iii (Mohammad Wakil)
#3. Pakistan: Dangerous Games (M.B. Naqvi)
#4. [India Should Reject] Israel's Palestine War - Bush Doctrine in=20
action (Praful Bidwai)
#5. Announcement: India: Sexuality and Rights Institute
#6. Seminar Announcement: 'Re-fashioning the State in Sri Lanka' by=20
Jayadeva Uyangoda (13 Dec., Paris)
#7. Sunil Khilnani Review's : 'Indira: The Life of Indira Nehru=20
Gandhi by Katherine Frank'

________________________

#1.

The Island (Sri Lanka)
Wednesday 12 December 2001

Cat's Eye
Was women's vote the secret weapon?

Observers of the December 5th elections have remarked not only the=20
high turn out of voters but also the visible presence of unusually=20
large numbers of women at the polling stations, casting their votes.=20
For whom did they vote is the question. In the absence of any=20
gender-based statistics on how women, voted or any pre-election polls=20
on how they intended to vote, one can only surmise that many of them=20
voted for the party that made women's issues a key component of its=20
election strategy.
The Cat's Eye column, has since 1997, been urging politicians in Sri=20
Lanka not to forget the fact that women are over 50% of the=20
electorate and that by paying heed in the legislature to women's=20
demands, they would reap the rewards at election time.