[sacw] SACW (23 Dec. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:33:35 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | 23 December 2001
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1. Editorial in The Friday Times 'Fresh start needed' (Najam Sethi)
#2. Karachi sees intra-Afghan conflict (Hasan Mansoor)
#3. Madrasa: symbol of extremism? (Mubarak Ali)
#4. Statement from Pakistan India Peoples Forum for Peace and=20
Democracy, NWFP chapter
#5. India, Pakistan urged to evade war
#6. A Concerned Citizens Voice from Pakistan
#7. Pakistan/India: Passengers sore over decision to stop=20
Lahore-Delhi service (Sandeep Joshi)
#8. India: MADRASSAS Old-School Ties (Saba Naqvi Bhaumik)
#9. US Lawmakers' Letter To The Prime Minister of India

________________________

#1.

The Friday Times (Pakistan) December 21-27, 2001
=09=20
Fresh start needed

Najam Sethi's E d i t o r i a l

Pakistan's military leaders have had a propensity for adventure=20
unmatched by other dependent states in the modern age. Irrespective=20
of the rights or wrong of the issue, Pakistani army generals provoked=20
military conflict with India in 1965, 1971 and 1999. In the process,=20
Pakistan has had to sign unequal ceasefires (Tashkent), submit to=20
humiliating surrenders (Bangla Desh) or accept forced withdrawals=20
(Kargil).

It was, however, General Zia ul Haq who believed that Pakistan was in=20
a win win situation in Afghanistan. But he was wrong. If the legacy=20
of the various wars with India is a reinforcement of historical pride=20
and prejudice, the legacy of our "involvement" in Afghanistan is even=20
more pervasive and poisonous. It has derailed the post cold war=20
impulse for political democracy, created the demon of bloody=20
sectarianism, raised the spectre of violent fundamentalism, stamped a=20
militaristic ethos on society and created a powerful but=20
unaccountable state within the state.

The ISI's writ has spread far and wide, at home and abroad. Indeed,=20
in recent times, an unprecedented and worrying development had begun=20
to manifest itself with senior ISI operatives being invited as a=20
matter of state policy into the precincts of GHQ and civilian=20
government and also slotted into senior command positions in the army=20
and vice versa. This was in sharp contrast to the situation before=20
our involvement in Afghanistan when no more than Brigadiers ran the=20
ISI and army chiefs tended to frown upon overly active roles for=20
former ISI-types in regular army matters. Thus the ISI was actually=20
poised to become a state in itself and for itself if the Afghanistan=20
debacle hadn't compelled General Musharraf to rein it in and freeze=20
its more adventurous external operations.

Clearly, the ISI's twenty-year "adventure" in Afghanistan is the=20
worst thing to happen to Pakistan's state and society in fifty years=20
of independence. One dismal but stark manifestation of this fact is=20
that our army now has to defend not just our eastern borders with=20
India as part of an old historical reality but also our western=20
border with Afghanistan as part of a new self-inflicted injury.=20
Latest reports say that we have been obliged to move over 50,000=20
soldiers and 150,000 para-military troops to the border with=20
Afghanistan in order to stop infiltration of Al-Qaeda terrorists into=20
our tribal areas. And we are being obliged to do this in a security=20
environment in which India is threatening to overrun our borders in=20
hot pursuit of "terrorists" allegedly trained and supported by us=20
while the international community is clucking in sympathy with its=20
plight.

If there is a silver lining in the cloud, could it be, ironically=20
enough, General Musharraf? Here is a man who has acted decisively and=20
courageously to win international support for Pakistan's ailing=20
economy by swiftly abandoning a thoroughly bad foreign policy in=20
Afghanistan. He has also held out an olive branch to India by showing=20
flexibility on Kashmir, even though India hasn't yet had the sense to=20
recognize the true value of his initiative. He has reined in the ISI=20
by suitable postings, transfers and retirements. He has shunted=20
intractably rigid-types from GHQ. And he has risked the wrath of the=20
religious extremists by clamping down on them in the national=20
interest. This is a great start in the right direction. But much more=20
needs to be done to reverse the tide.

Let us admit it. After Afghanistan, our biggest foreign policy=20
failure is in Kashmir. From 1947 to 1965, we beseeched the UN to=20
grant us Kashmir in vain. We then tried to stir revolt in the valley=20
and triggered a destabilizing war with India. After 1971, we buried=20
the Kashmir issue at Simla and forgot about the UN resolutions=20
abroad. We then woke up in the 1990s to foment trouble in Kashmir=20
after New Delhi had made a mess of things in the 1980s. In the last=20
ten years, we have exported Islamic revolution to Kashmir and=20
provoked untold brutalities on the Kashmiris by India's security=20
forces. In exchange, we have paid the price of urban terrorism in=20
Karachi and elsewhere sponsored by India. We have undermined civil=20
society and democratic pluralism by relinquishing political space to=20
extremist jehadi organizations. We have piled up debt in order to=20
fuel the cold war with India and scared away potential foreign=20
investors. And we have pulled the rug from under the feet of elected=20
political representatives who dared to think of smoking the peace=20
pipe with New Delhi. Now we are being pushed into a conflict with=20
India by the very extremists who have already dashed our hopes in=20
Afghanistan. Isn't it time to change a policy of perennial warring=20
with India into a policy of enduring peace with our neighbours?

We have barely managed to survive a highly destablising debacle in=20
Afghanistan whose end is not yet in sight. But we might not be so=20
lucky in the event of a conflict with India over Kashmir. Putting=20
Pakistan first means doing it not just vis a vis Afghanistan policy=20
but also vis a vis Kashmir policy. Nothing less than that will=20
constitute a safe and secure fresh start for the country.
_____

#2.

The Friday Times (Pakistan) December 21-27, 2001

Karachi sees intra-Afghan conflict

Hasan Mansoor
says the Pashtun-non-Pashtun divide in Karachi's Afghan community is increa=
sing
=09=20
ising ethnic tension among hundreds of thousands of Afghan refugees=20
living in camps and colonies along the National Highway in Karachi=20
has forced the provincial administration to take precautionary=20
measures to prevent any sudden eruption of violence.

While the majority of Afghan refugees are Pashtun, there are sizeable=20
enclaves of Hazaras, Uzbeks and Tajiks, who live together in=20
colonies. According to a rough estimate, there are 30,000 to 40,000=20
Uzbeks, about 20,000 Hazaras and an equal number of Tajiks living in=20
various colonies along the highway.

Before the current war on Afghanistan, the community was generally=20
free of ethnic polarisation. The events inside Afghanistan, with=20
non-Pashtuns fighting the predominantly Pashtun Taliban militia and=20
the latter losing ground to the Northern Alliance comprising minority=20
ethnic groups has, however, changed the situation.

The first ethnic skirmish between Pashtuns and Uzbeks was reported in=20
Jangabad, one of the Afghan colonies, on September 21. The clash left=20
seven Afghans injured before the police dispersed the mob and=20
arrested 20 trouble-makers on both sides.

"They fought because the Pashtun expressed sympathy for Mullah Omar=20
and Osama bin Laden while the Uzbeks sided with the Northern=20
Alliance," Tariq Jamil, DIG Karachi, told TFT.

By all accounts, the minority Afghan communities have become more=20
aggressive since the current war began. "The Taliban-NA war is not=20
new. But it did not really have much impact on intra-Afghan relations=20
here. That seems to have changed since the ethnic minority groups=20
began chasing the Taliban out of power," says an analyst.

"These people [Uzbeks] are not sincere to us [Afghans] and our=20
religion. They are just opportunists," says Khair Mohammad, a Pashtun=20
Afghan who migrated from Afghanistan's Mazar-i-Sharif city in 1980=20
when he was only 3-years-old.

Khair lives in the Jangabad locality of the Sohrab Goth refugee camp,=20
which is predominantly Pashtun. The nearby locality of Qayyumabad is=20
overwhelmingly Hazara and Uzbek. Interestingly, Khair Mohammad does=20
not know much about the issues involved or even the happenings inside=20
Afghanistan. But he does know that the ethnic Afghan minorities are=20
"traitors". "They allowed the Americans to come into Afghanistan at=20
the cost of our pride. And they did this just to grab power and=20
money," he said.

A TFT survey of the various localities of this thickly populated=20
refugee camp clearly showed growing hatred between the Pashtun and=20
non-Pashtun Afghans. "The original pattern of relations is changing,"=20
says an observer.

The September 21 incident was just the beginning. Dozens of similar=20
incidents and group brawls have since been reported. One of the more=20
serious was reported on October 19, the day the Pak-Afghan Defence=20
Council called for a million-man march in Karachi. A number of=20
Pashtun youth asked non-Pashtun Afghans to join them and their=20
refusal led to serious fighting among the Afghans. The police had to=20
intervene to control the situation, but not before two people were=20
killed.

That incident forced Kamal Shah, IGP Sindh, to visit the refugee camp=20
and hold meetings with elders of all ethnic groups. "The IGP told=20
them that the government would not tolerate such rowdy behaviour and=20
they must do everything to control the youth," says a police official.

The visit seemed to be effective because the area has since remained=20
largely calm, though IGP Shah himself was not sure if it would work=20
as well as it did. "Frankly speaking, I am still not sure about=20
this," Shah told TFT, "the elders in the camp do not enjoy the same=20
clout they do in the tribal setting of Afghanistan. The youth have a=20
more urban approach=8Amost of them were born here. While they retain=20
their aggressive behaviour, the urban setting has done much to change=20
their attitudes towards tribal hierarchies."

Shah is also not sure if the police can tackle the situation=20
effectively in case violence erupts within the localities. "We do not=20
have the manpower to deploy personnel everywhere. Our first priority=20
is to ensure that miscreants do not damage the sensitive=20
installations of the Karachi Electric Supply Corporation and the Sui=20
Southern Gas pipeline running nearby. I wanted to set up some police=20
pickets inside the camps but the Afghans objected to that, saying it=20
would make it difficult for their women-folk to move around," Shah=20
told TFT.

Shahabad, a cluster of mud houses surrounded by dry thorny bushes,=20
houses Afghan refugees of Uzbek and Hazara ethnic origin. All of them=20
migrated to Karachi from around Kunduz in the early eighties. "We are=20
Uzbeks and will not allow the Pashtun to enter here," an Uzbek youth=20
told TFT. He was immediately interrupted by an elderly Uzbek: "We are=20
guests of the Pakistani government and must not do anything to make=20
things difficult for our hosts."

Interestingly, some refugees hate both the Northern Alliance and now=20
the extinct Taliban. "All these groups have destroyed our country and=20
left us living as third-class aliens in other countries," says Abdul=20
Baqi, an ethnic Hazara.

Meanwhile, the Sindh home department is working on a plan to shift=20
them away from Karachi. "We have selected some places away from the=20
PakistanSteel Mills area. But they must be shifted to smaller=20
localities to minimise the law and order risk," says an official.

A few hundred Afghans, who had moved into the city some time ago,=20
were picked up by the police last week and shifted to a temporary=20
shelter set up between Karachi and Thatta.

_____

#3.

Weekly Independent (Pakistan) 20-26 December 2001 Vol 1,=20
No.26, Regd No CPL-588

Madrasa: symbol of extremism?
Instead of producing religious scholars who could interpret religion=20
to the common people, the seminaries became centres of communal
movements
by Dr. Mubarak Ali

In the process of development and expansion, when a religion becomes=20
complex, it needs interpretation of its sacred texts and legal codes=20
to be adjusted to the changing conditions. At this stage, society=20
requires religious experts and well-versed scholars who can explain,=20
interpret, and expound religious tenets to the people. The=20
requirement to produce religious scholars is fulfilled by the=20
religious schools known in the Christian world as seminaries and in=20
the Muslim world as Madaris (singular Madrasa).
In the early history of Islam, religious knowledge was imparted=20
either at the residence of an Alim (scholar) or in the Jamia' Masjid=20
(congregation mosque) where students gathered near a pillar and=20
attended the lectures of prominent Ulema. Emphasis was on the study=20
of the Tradition of the Holy Prophet (Peace be upon him) rather than=20
on other religious aspects. But, as the Muslim Empire expanded,=20
social, political, and economic problems made jurisprudence (Fiqh) as=20
the major discipline of study because the administration required a=20
large number of Qazis (judges), Muftis (authority to issue edicts),=20
and Mohtasibs (ombudsmen). Therefore, the institution of Madrasa=20
emerged in the 10th and 11th centuries, first in Khurasan and then=20
all over Iran, Afghanistan and other parts of Central Asia. The=20
institution was financially supported by Waqf (endowment) or by the=20
donations of rulers and nobility. After the development of four=20
schools of jurisprudence, a Madrasa either provided guidance for all=20
the four or restricted itself only to one.
To counter the Fatimid propaganda of Ism'ailism throughout the Empire=20
with emphasis on Shafa'i and Hanafi schools of jurisprudence, Nizamul=20
Mulk (1063-1092), the Saljuqui minister, established a chain of=20
Madaris in 12th century. The Hanbalis also opened such Madaris to=20
teach and propagate their version of Islam. They also launched a=20
campaign against other sects, which they considered heretics. Their=20
extremism not only led them to criticise the governments of the day=20
and force them to enforce their Fiqh but also inspired them to=20
organise groups of fanatics to attack their antagonists and suppress=20
such immoral activities as drinking of wine and free mixing of sexes.=20
The Hanbalis were against the Shia and made attempts to disrupt their=20
meetings and fought pitched battles against them whenever there were=20
sectarian riots. They also condemned Mu'tazalli and Asha'ri=20
theological schools. As a result, the whole religious atmosphere was=20
polluted and people were divided into different factions.
The Madaris played a vital role in strengthening the sectarian=20
division throughout the Muslim world so much so that the sectarian=20
affiliations overpowered the tribal and family loyalties. Madaris=20
became the centres of communal movements that were supported by their=20
students as well as by the state officials and Ulema who graduated=20
from these schools. How the rivalries of these Madaris created=20
disturbances in the society, is evident from the example of Nishapur=20
where in the 11th and 12th centuries, conflict surfaced between the=20
Hanafi and the Shafa'i Madaris. In the words of Ira lapidus, the=20
author of 'A History of Islamic Societies', 'The antagonism of two=20
schools of law spread from disputes over control of teaching and=20
judicial positions to competition for governmental support and to=20
pitched battles in which large segments of the town and the=20
surrounding rural populace were mobilised to fight for their group.=20
As a result, Nishapur was physically and socially destroyed by the=20
middle of the twelfth century'.
Why did these Madaris produce extremists and narrow-minded students=20
instead of enlightened and liberal people? The main cause was the=20
sect-oriented curriculum of these Madaris, which denied the validity=20
of other sects and ideologies. Secondly, there was no space for=20
questioning and challenging but simply accepting what a teacher=20
taught and preached. Imitation rather than creativeness was the main=20
characteristic of the syllabus. There was no encouragement for a=20
student to give his opinion; he had to rely on the religious=20
authorities and textual interpretations. There was no logic and=20
rationality. He had to support his case on the basis of faith. A=20
scholar of Baghdad, Abdul Latif (1231), advised the students that: "I=20
commend you not to learn your sciences from books unaided, even=20
though you may trust your ability to understand. Resort to professors=20
for each science you seek to acquire=8Awhen you read a book, make every=20
effort to learn it by heart and master its meaning. Imagine the book=20
to have disappeared and that you can dispense with it, unaffected by=20
its loss."
In India, a comprehensive curriculum of the Madrasa was prepared by=20
Mulla Nizamuddin during the period of Aurangzeb to train and educate=20
the students in the Hanafi Fiqh for the posts of Qazi, Mufti, and=20
Mohtasib. It was known as 'Dars-i- Nizamiyya" and became a standard=20
for the Indian Madaris. The change in the curriculum, however, took=20
place when the Mughal Empire came to an end and the British power was=20
established. The Deoband Madrasa, which was founded to respond the=20
changing political, social, and economic condition, realised that the=20
traditional syllabus was no more required in the new set-up as there=20
was no demand for religious officials in the British government. That=20
is why the new syllabus that was prepared by the Deoband authorities=20
was the mixture of Manqul (Traditional), and Ma'aqul (Rational).=20
Therefore, in the new syllabus, more emphasis was laid on the Hadith=20
rather than the Fiqh. The most important teacher in Deoband used to=20
be Shaikhul Hadith or head of the Hadith Department. The Madrasa was=20
more inclined to educating leaders of prayers (Imams) or Waiz (Sermon=20
deliverer), and religious teachers for the guidance of the Muslim=20
community.
As the Deoband's version of Islam was revivalist and puritan, the=20
other sects established their own Madaris to teach their=20
interpretation of Islam. For example, the Brelvis, to propagate their=20
sectarian theology opened a chain of schools throughout the Indian=20
subcontinent. Other sects followed it. Subsequently, the Madaris of=20
different sects soon created strong communal feelings that led to=20
time-to-time riots and disturbances.
Pakistan, since its creation, inherited this system that is entirely=20
based on the public donations or on the patronage of some rich=20
persons. In the decade of 1970s, the oil-rich Arab countries=20
financially helped them promote their version of Islam. Further, they=20
became financially strong when during Ziaul Haq period they got Zakat=20
funds. Their certificates were also given recognition equal to those=20
of secular educational institutions. This led them to get involved in=20
political activities. Some of them founded their own political=20
parties, aspiring to capture political power some day.
The emergence of the Taliban phenomenon in Afghanistan, their capture=20
of political power and subsequently, their downfall show that the=20
religious system of education in the Madaris has some inherent=20
defects that should be reformed and corrected.
Moreover, one should also keep in mind that majority of Madrasa=20
students belongs to the poor and marginalized classes bereft of any=20
privilege. Religion becomes the only mean of their livelihood;=20
therefore, they protect it to protect themselves. Besides religious=20
extremism, there is also class hatred that is channelised by=20
religious zeal.
The writer is a well-known analyst of history.
_____

#4.

Dawn (Pakistan)

Peace forum condemns Indian decision
Bureau Report

PESHAWAR, Dec 22: Pakistan India Peoples Forum for Peace and=20
Democracy, NWFP chapter, has condemned the Indian government's=20
decision to recall its high commissioner in Islamabad and the=20
suspension of Samjhauta Express and bus service between Lahore and=20
New Delhi.
The forum has asked the Indian prime minister to send back its envoy=20
to Islamabad and restore communication services.
A press release issued here on Saturday said that New Delhi's=20
one-sided move would not only escalate tension in the region but=20
would also affect millions of people using the train and bus service.
The press release said that peace forum denounced the attack on the=20
Indian parliament and stressed that all peace-loving and democratic=20
forces should condemned this act of terrorism.
The press release also said that the tension between Pakistan and=20
India would adversely affect the economies and plunge the people of=20
both the countries into poverty.
The forum appealed to president Gen Musharraf and Indian prime=20
minister Vajpayee to work towards releasing tension and resolving=20
differences.

_____

#5.

The News International (Pakistan)
Sunday December 23, 2001

India, Pakistan urged to evade war

By Our Correspondent
THE governments of India and Pakistan owe to their peoples to use=20
their resources on alleviating poverty rather than wasting them on=20
wars or for preparation of wars.

Former acting prime minister Malik Meraj Khalid, former Punjab chief=20
minister Hanif Ramay and former finance minister Dr Mubashar Hasan=20
said in a joint statement issued here Saturday.
They said the Indian action of recalling its high commissioner from=20
Islamabad and to suspend train and bus service was unfortunate, but=20
understandable. The situation demanded sympathy from the Pakistani=20
government at the attack on Indian parliament, said the statement.=20
They said the armed forces of both the countries were standing face=20
to face on borders, but the peoples needed peace.
Nothing could be more ill advised for the the countries to engage in=20
any military conflict when the entire world is planning to=20
participate in the economic activity to be launched in Asia, the=20
region where the two countries located, the statement said.

It further said that President Pervez Musharraf took the first step=20
in the right direction by distancing Pakistan from Taliban. They said=20
that Pakistan should not be a safe heaven for extremists to carry on=20
their mission.
No doubt, there are complex and serious problems like Kashmir, but,=20
they said, once two governments realised their primary duty towards=20
their peoples, these problems would be cut to size and it would not=20
be too difficult to resolve them through negotiations.

They said it was proper time to start talks for an acceptable=20
solution to our problems including Kashmir. It is time for decisions.=20
It is time for statesmanship, they maintained. The international=20
political climate favours peace. Both Pakistan and India should do=20
their best to control their extremists.
The statement further said it was not in the interest of any=20
government or people to have in their midst armed bands and their=20
training facilities. The error made by former governments to allow=20
such bodies to form and grow should be corrected.

______

#6.

[ A concerned voice from Pakistan]

23 Dec 2001 12:50:37 +0500

Any war is deplorable. It makes no sense for the two neighbors to=20
fight each other. They have to understand the reality of time as well=20
as geography. They both would be hurt in the bargain, perhaps=20
irreparably.
Wars have their own dynamics. Once begun they are very difficult to=20
steer. Thus the time to prevent a war is NOW.
So the key question is what can we as people do to voice=20
and influence this process.
Are there citizens and organisations in Pakistan who will clearly=20
articulate the peace option and pressurise the government to fold up=20
its back yard militants, and formally agree to seek a solution that=20
is chosen by Kasmiris themselves instead of insisting on a Paki=20
Kashmir.
Also are there citizens and organisations in India who will equally=20
and strongly pressurise their government to seek a peaceful solution=20
of Kashmir and follow the policy of talks instead of tanks.
The current mood of the subcontinent at least on Paki and Indian TV=20
is quite to the contrary.
So let us work together and individually on this single point=20
agenda. Let it not be said, we did not even try.

naeem sadiq

______

#7.

The Hindu (India) Dec 23, 2001
Passengers sore over decision to stop Lahore-Delhi service
By Sandeep Joshi

NEW DELHI, DEC. 22. ``Pakistanis are shocked over the Government's=20
decision to cancel the Delhi-Lahore `Sadbhavana' bus service and the=20
Samjhauta Express. We never thought the services, which were working=20
as bridges of friendship between the people of the two hostile=20
nations, would cease to exist.'' This is how the Pakistanis, who=20
disembarked from the Lahore-Delhi bus today, reacted.

The ``impractical step'' has left the 18 of them, who were among the=20
23 passengers who arrived here, in a catch-22 situation because the=20
question of their safe return has started troubling them. Their tense=20
faces reflected their concern over their return journey and the loss=20
of a cheap mode of transport, besides, of course, the military=20
build-up along the LoC.

``I was in my hotel when one of my relatives rang me up to inform me=20
about the decision. The longing for meeting my loved ones vanished=20
into thin air,'' said Mr. Mohammed Ahmed (65), a resident of Lahore=20
who is ``back to his roots'' on a month's visa to take part in a=20
couple of marriages.

``When I reached the station to board the bus at Lahore, Pakistani=20
officials asked me to cancel the trip saying that time was not=20
appropriate. But I could not resist the temptation of meeting my=20
loved ones _ the occasion I have waited for, for years,'' he said.

Mr. Ahmed tried hard to get a return ticket but failed as all the=20
seats till December 29, the day the last bus of the Pakistan Tourism=20
Corporation leaves for Lahore, were booked. ``I thought of cutting=20
short my journey but now when no return ticket is available, I do not=20
know how I will make it.''

Some passengers are angry. ``If India has finally decided to call off=20
the bus service, why have inquiry counters not been opened at Delhi=20
and Lahore to answer the queries of worried passengers? Officials=20
were unable to tell me whether I would be able to get a return=20
ticket. When a decision has been taken, a proper follow-up should be=20
there,'' said Mr. Mohammed Sayeed (85), a resident of Punjab in=20
Pakistan, who is here with his two sons. He demanded that the number=20
of buses be increased so that the stranded passengers of both the=20
countries return safely to their homes.

Asked about the heightened tension between India and Pakistan, the=20
passengers rebuffed it as ``media hype.'' Everything was going on as=20
usual _ it was the media in both the countries that was creating war=20
hysteria, they said, adding that the Pakistanis these days were more=20
concerned about the developments in Afghanistan.

All the Pakistanis condemned the attack on the Parliament and called=20
it a ``cowardly and unjustified step.'' ``Pakistanis want to see=20
peace prevail in the region and Indo-Pakistan bond of friendship get=20
strengthened. Politics is ruining everything...''
_____

#8.

Outlook (India) December 31, 2001

MADRASSAS
Old-School Ties
Often the only access to education for pauperised Muslims, madrassas=20
need to expand their scope
SABA NAQVI BHAUMIK
"I have a beard, say my namaz regularly and teach in a madrassa. That=20
is why I am afraid of outsiders. That's why I am being labelled an=20
anti-national."
Dr Mohammad Yunus Ali, teacher at the Madarsiya Islamiya Arabiya, Aligarh
A PhD in theology, Yunus Ali has spent most of his adult life=20
imparting religious instruction to young Muslims. That's enough=20
reason for him to fear being labelled anti-national. Ever since=20
September 11, there has been a sustained campaign against the=20
madrassa network in India. On September 29, Union home minister L.K.=20
Advani chaired a meeting which resolved to crack down on illegal=20
madrassas which have mushroomed in the last five years and, according=20
to a home ministry report, "pose a threat to national security".

"Literacy figures for Muslims are anyway low. Without=20
madrassas, they'd be even lower," says Syed Hamid.

And last week, after the terrorist attack on Parliament, Prime=20
Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee also joined this campaign. "The=20
promoters of terrorism in our neighbourhood have even turned schools=20
meant for religious education into factories of terror," he said.

But are madrassas terror factories as is made out to be? On the=20
Pakistan-Afghanistan border, it has been conclusively proved that=20
madrassas contributed to the growth of fundamentalism and provided=20
the bulk of the manpower for the Taliban. But there's no evidence=20
that this has happened in India though intelligence reports warn of=20
suspect organisations financing madrassas on the Indo-Nepal and=20
Indo-Bangladesh border.
A great deal of suspicion about madrassas stems from the fact that=20
the average Indian has no clue about what is taught in these=20
institutions. Most madrassas in India follow the Dars-i-Nizami=20
syllabus, set by the premier religious university in the=20
subcontinent, the Darul Uloom, at Deoband, in Saharanpur district,=20
UP. The curriculum, set in the 19th century, concentrates on=20
memorising the Quran, the Hadith (traditions of the prophet), Fiqh=20
(jurisprudence) and Tafsir (commentary on the Quran). In fact, one=20
reason why madrassas in India have come under attack is because the=20
Deoband curriculum is also followed by the hundreds of madrassas on=20
the Pakistan-Afghanistan border, which churned out the Talibs=20
(students) who made up the leadership and rank and file of the=20
Taliban.
This association has proved deeply embarrassing for Deoband, which=20
actually has an illustrious history. Historian Mushirul Hasan points=20
out that the Deobandis arose in British India, not as a reactionary=20
but a forward-looking movement to unite and reform Muslim society in=20
the wake of the oppression the community faced after the 1857 revolt.=20
Hasan stresses: "The Deobandis opposed Partition, rejected the=20
two-nation theory and strongly supported the nationalist movement led=20
by the Congress. It is sacrilege to label them anti-national."
In his authoritative work on them, Taliban-The Story of the Afghan=20
Warlords, Pakistani journalist Ahmed Rashid points out that the=20
madrassas which sprung up in Pakistan's NWFP and in Afghan refugee=20
camps through the '80s were run by semi-educated village mullahs far=20
removed from the original reformist agenda of the Deoband school.=20
Rashid writes: "The Taliban have clearly debased the Deobandi=20
tradition of learning and reform with their rigidity and their=20
viewing of debate as little more than heresy. But in doing so,=20
they've advanced a new, radical and extremely threatening model for=20
any forthcoming Islamic revolution."
It's clear that the curriculum taught at madrassas is outdated and=20
does not equip students for mainstream careers.Muslim intellectual=20
A.M. Khusro says: "Madrassa education is inward-looking but often it=20
is the only education available to Muslims who now face=20
discrimination along with poverty and illiteracy." Mushirul Hasan=20
also agrees that Deoband promotes a puritanical brand of Islam-"It is=20
an orthodox school," he says.

Syed Hamid, chancellor of Delhi's Jamia Hamdard University, believes=20
there is a desperate need to modernise madrassa curriculum. He points=20
out that a madrassa modernisation scheme had been launched by the=20
Union government in 1994. Under this scheme promoted by the HRD=20
ministry, the government assists madrassas with one or two teachers=20
of modern subjects like science, maths and English. Many universities=20
now accept the certificates issued by such madrassas. In UP alone,=20
700 madrassas are covered under this scheme while in West Bengal and=20
Assam, there is the Madrassa-e-Aalia stream which includes most of=20
the subjects taught in mainstream schools and is recognised by=20
universities.
Despite this, however, job prospects of most graduates of these=20
religious schools is limited to being employed at mosques or as=20
teachers in madrassas. Says S.U. Siddiqui, director of the=20
government-run Maulana Azad Education Foundation, which promotes=20
education schemes for the minority community: "There are five lakh=20
mosques in India which need imams. Besides, every madrassa product is=20
capable of setting up a small school by himself."
In fact, Siddiqui argues that at the primary school level, Muslim=20
literacy figures are on par with other communities largely because of=20
the access to these schools, where children get free food along with=20
education. It is at the middle and high school level that dropout=20
figures become distressingly high.
Hamid too believes that with the government school system in a=20
shambles, madrassas are often the only avenue open to the=20
economically-backward members of this minority community. "As it is,=20
literacy figures for Muslims are far lower than the national average.=20
Without madrassas they'd be even lower," he says.
Although no regular census of madrassas has ever taken place,=20
government sources estimate there are approximately 25,000 such=20
full-fledged institutes in the country. Besides, there are about=20
80,000 makhtabs, rudimentary schools, often located within mosques,=20
which provide primary education. Hamid stresses that surveys have=20
shown that madrassas are run out of zakat (charity) collected from=20
within the country. "Yet there is an unnecessary phobia about foreign=20
money flowing in from the Middle East. Even the media contributes to=20
this false propaganda," he says.
Asks former cabinet secretary Zafar Saifulla: "Don't Christian and=20
Hindu institutions get funds from abroad? It has been proven that=20
much of the VHP's finances come from outside India. In any case, all=20
foreign donations have to get an FCRA clearance." Leading Muslim=20
educationists point out that the constant police scrutiny under the=20
BJP regime makes it very difficult for madrassas in India to get=20
money from overseas without a home ministry clearance.
Saifullah in fact sees the "demonisation of madrassas as part of the=20
overall tactic of discrediting the minority community". After all, he=20
points out, "Sangh parivar ideologues make no secret of the fact that=20
they are waging a war against Marx, Macaulay and madrassas." Eminent=20
historian Irfan Habib too sees the campaign against madrassas as part=20
of the Sangh parivar attempt to communalise the polity."If the Centre=20
has any evidence against madrassas, they should come out with it.Why=20
keep making insinuations without backing it up with hard evidence?"=20
he asks.
With the government so suspicious of these religious seminaries, they=20
could well fall into the hands of fundamentalists. Modernisation,=20
argue Muslim scholars, is the best way to bring the madrassas into=20
the national mainstream.

______

#9.

US LAWMAKERS' LETTER TO THE PRIME MINISTER OF INDIA

December 19, 2001

The Honorable Atal Bihari Vajpayee
Prime Minister of India
C/O Embassy of India
2107 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008

Dear Mr. Prime Minister:

We are writing to express our profound shock and sadness over the=20
terrorist attack on the Parliament in New Delhi. We strongly support=20
President Bush's decision to offer your government the assistance of=20
the FBI and of the State Department counter-terrorist teams in order=20
to bring to justice those individuals responsible for this terrorist=20
attack.

As Members of the United States Congress, we were particularly=20
affected by the fact that this atrocity occurred at one of the=20
world's most prominent institutions of democracy, and was aimed at=20
the elected officials who are dedicated to serving the people of=20
India. Following the terrorist attacks of September 11th, we in=20
Congress have become acutely aware of the increasing threat we face=20
in our seat of democracy, yet we are more determined than ever not to=20
be intimidated by terrorism. We are greatly encouraged that your=20
government and the Members of Parliament have demonstrated unity and=20
resolve in the face of a vicious and cowardly attack perpetrated by=20
enemies of democracy.

Since September 11th , the government and people of India have=20
demonstrated steadfast support and cooperation for the United States.=20
In the same spirit of friendship and partnership, we stand ready to=20
provide your government with assistance to find those responsible for=20
this attack. It is our intention that whatever assistance is deemed=20
appropriate be provided as quickly and effectively as possible. In=20
addition, please know that we support India's right to defend herself=20
against acts of terrorism and
aggression that threaten the security of India.

Strategic cooperation between the United States and India in the area=20
of counter-terrorism did not begin on September 11th. Over the past=20
several years, our two nations have forged a strong partnership in=20
this area, including the U.S.-India Joint Working Group on Terrorism,=20
as well as
on a wide range of other issues. The growing alliance between the=20
U.S. and India is based on our shared democratic values and our=20
mutual desire to
build a stable and prosperous world free of terrorism. The terrorists=20
who attacked the United States and India targeted democracies that=20
respect the rule of law, because they detest the freedoms we protect,=20
and mistake our tolerance as a sign of weakness. As the architects of=20
terrorism have
already learned, the resolve of the civilized world will only be=20
strengthened by our pursuit of justice in the face of their=20
lawlessness.

In closing, Mr. Prime Minister, we are pleased to know that you, the=20
members of your Cabinet, and Members of the Parliament were not=20
harmed in this vicious attack. We are deeply saddened by the loss of=20
other precious lives and send our wishes for complete recovery to=20
those who were wounded.

As we continue our shared commitment to end the scourge of terrorism,=20
we shall help to ensure that the victims of the Parliament attack=20
shall not have died in vain.

Sincerely,

Members of Congress Who Signed Letter

1. Rep. Robert Wexler