[sacw] SACW Dispatch | 24 Aug. 00

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 01:03:24 +0200

South Asia Citizens Web Dispatch
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1. US/ Bangaldesh: The Solarz Correspondence: A Congressional Inquiry
Deliberately
Derailed?
#2. Tanvir Mokammel: Bangladesh's leading independent filmmaker
#3. Canada / India: Prof. Hari Sharma's Letter to Shastri Institute
+ Press Release from SALDA regarding the Capitualtion of Shastri Insti=
tute
#4. India: Public Statement by Prominent former judge who supports Narmada
Bachao Andolan
#5. India: Photo exhibition lends voice to Kashmiri women (New Delhi)
#6. Chingari VideoFest 2000: Call
_____________________

#1.

The Daily Star
Op-Ed.

THE SOLARZ CORRESPONDENCE: A CONGRESSIONAL INQUIRY DELIBERATELY
DERAILED?

First of Three Parts

by Lawrence Lifschultz

IN the winter of 1980 I received a phone call from a young aide to
Congressman Stephen Solarz. He was responding to a letter I had written
Solarz summarizing the results of a two-year journalistic investigation
into the coup d'etat that had killed Sheikh Mujibur Rahman. My
journalistic work had reached a formal barrier of sorts. Over two years
we had interviewed scores of people and gained a great deal of insight
into how the coup had been planned and organized.
However, there were contradictions that needed to be resolved
particularly regarding the question of possible American links to the
Mustaque network. A senior American diplomat, present at the US Embassy
in August 1975, had described in detail contacts with the group that had
planned the coup. The CIA Station Chief at the time, Phil Cherry, had
categorically denied that the United States was involved in the coup.

It had become clear that only the power to call witnesses under oath
before a Congressional Committee could possibly resolve these
conflicting claims. Solarz's aide for foreign affairs was Stanley Roth.
Today, he holds a senior position in the Clinton Administration as
Assistant Secretary of State for Asia. Twenty years ago, as a younger
and perhaps more inquisitive man, Roth asked me how I thought the issue
should be pursued. I suggested that Congressman Solarz pose a simple
"yes" or "no" question in writing to the State Department. I urged Roth
to stick forcefully to getting a "yes" or "no" response. A reply filled
with the familiar State Department language designed to dissemble and
obfuscate managed, whenever possible, to dodge the key questions.

I had written Solarz describing what my Embassy source had told me: that
American personnel from the Embassy had held meetings in the period from
November 1974 to January 1975 with representatives of a group planning a
coup d'etat against Mujib. This diplomat believed that these contacts
had continued until the coup despite the Ambassador's instructions that
they should be broken off.

I had already published a detailed article in The Guardian (London)
describing the views of this Embassy source, and the CIA Station Chief's
denials. A similar article was about to appear in The Nation in New
York. The Guardian article and other documentation had been provided to
Solarz and Roth. I urged Roth to try to achieve one simple goal. Not
ten, but one. There would still be other goals in the future to move
forward on. I suggested to Roth that he ask the following question: "Did
or did not the US Embassy have prior contact with a group planning
Mujib's overthrow in late 1974 and early 1975?" "Yes" or "No". In the
United States it is a tricky matter to lie to a staff member of a
Congressional committee. Although it is frequently done, it might create
problems. If discovered, perjury charges could potentially be framed.

The answer that came back in this instance was "yes". The State
Department affirmed that there had, in fact, been prior contact. In a
letter dated 3 June 1980, Solarz wrote to me: "With respect to the
Embassy meetings in November 1974 - January 1975 period with opponents
of the [Mujibur] Rahman regime, the State Department once again does not
deny that the meetings took place." This letter has been reproduced in
Prothom Alo for the first time. Solarz's letter represented the first
official acknowledgement by the US government that such meetings had in
fact taken place. Their existence had only previously been reported by
this writer based on US Embassy sources. We trusted our principal
sources. Finally, here was an official acknowledgement making clear that
what we had written on this critical point was absolutely accurate. "On
the crucial question of CIA involvement in the post-January 1975 period,
I have not been able to unearth any hard evidence in either direction",
continued Solarz. "I find your allegations sufficiently disturbing to
believe they merit further investigation."

Solarz went on to state: "I believe that such an investigation can
really only be carried out by the Permanent Select Committee on
Intelligence, which has the best chance of obtaining access both to CIA
cable traffic and to the relevant figures in the intelligence
community." Solarz reported that he was forwarding "the materials you
sent to me to Congressman [Les] Aspin, along with a letter urging him to
look into the matter." At that time Aspin was Chairman of the
Intelligence Committee. Aspin would later become Secretary of Defence in
the first Clinton Administration.

In his letter to Aspin, Solarz wrote that he was forwarding Aspin
materials "which contain disturbing allegations about CIA involvement in
the 1975 coup which deposed Sheikh Mujibur Rahman in Bangladesh."
Solarz's letter to Aspin continued:

"Although I have made formal inquiries about Lifschultz's various
charges with the State Department, I am not fully satisfied with all of
the answers I received. In particular, on the crucial question of CIA
contacts with the coup perpetrators in the January 1975 through August
1975 period, I have been unable to unearth any hard evidence either to
confirm or refute the allegations. I quite agree with Lifschultz's
statement that 'whether or not the United States had prior knowledge of
these plans cannot be conclusively settled without congressional
subpoena power'. Since a thorough investigation of CIA activities in
Bangladesh is clearly within the jurisdiction of the Permanent Select
Committee on Intelligence rather than the Foreign Affairs Committee, I
am turning over Lifschultz's material to you, in the hope that you will
take appropriate action."

However, a curious twist in the story, also emerged from Solarz's
correspondence. While he reported that the State Department had admitted
the 1974-75 "Embassy meetings.... with opponents of the [Mujibur] Rahman
regime," Solarz also noted that "the Department does claim that it
notified [Mujibur] Rahman about the meetings, including the possibility
of a coup." Solarz suggested that if Mujib had been "notified", then
"this would seem to put these meetings in a less conspiratorial light."
Certainly, the State Department while admitting the meetings had
happened sought to portray them in quite an innocent light. The trouble
was that our source, who had been in the Embassy and reported the
contacts to us, hardly regarded them as innocent either at the time they
occurred or on the day Mujib was killed.

After receiving the Solarz letter I did some further checking on my own.