[sacw] Tributes to Begum Sufia Kamal

Harsh Kapoor act@egroups.com
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:42:13 +0100

IN MEMORY OF BEGUM SUFIA KAMAL, THE UNRELENTING VOICE FOR DEMOCRACY,
SECULARISM AND WOMEN'S RIGHTS IN BANGLADESH

---------------

#1.
Daily Star

Our 'lady of light' passes away
Thousands throung Shanjer Moya at Dhanmondi to pay last respects

By Staff Correspondent

Poet Begum Sufia Kamal has passed away.

The end came at the age of 88 after a life lived with those who fought for
freedom, democracy and human rights.

She died yesterday morning of cardiac arrest at 8:55 am at the Intensive
Care Unit of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University Hospital (BSMMUH).

"Our lady of light", as The Daily Star called her while awarding her the
1996 person of the year, left a nation grieving with the President
Shahabuddin Ahmed leading the mourners.

"All her life, she led the Muslim women to the path of progress," said the
President in a condolence message.

She was hospitalised on Thursday for renal failure. She was also suffering
from old age complications, hospital sources said.

She was removed to the ICU on Friday at about 7pm as her condition
deteriorated. She was under the supervision of two senior doctors -- Dr K M
Iqbal and Dr Harun-ur-Rashid.

She left behind three daughters and two sons. Her eldest son Shahid Kamal,
a journalist and daughter Amena Kahar were staying with her at her
Dhanmondi residence. Her eldest son Sajit Kamal will arrive from US before
her burial on Wednesday, family sources said. Her two other daughters are
Sultana Kamal, a lawyer and Syeda Kamal, an artist.

A pall of gloom descended on the capital as the news of her death spread.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina rushed to the BSMMUH on hearing the sad news.

The body was brought to 'Shajer Maya', the poet's Dhanmondi residence
(House 15) on Road 11 (new), at about 11 in the morning.

The President, Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia, ministers, political
leaders, journalists, writers, cultural activists and human rights
activists paid their last respects to the "beacon of democracy" at the
Dhanmondi residence.

Streams of mourners in their hundreds continued to flock there till the
body was taken to BIRDEM hospital at about 3pm after the first
namaj-e-janaja at the Dhanmandi residence.

A condolence book was opened at the residence.

Several senior ministers accompanied the Prime Minister to the hospital.

A 1001-member National Committee, with Prof Kabir Choudhury as convenor,
will hold a condolence meeting at the Central Shaheed Minar in the city on
November 26 at 3pm.

The poet's body will be kept at BIRDEM mortuary till Wednesday morning for
arrival of her son from US.

On that day, the body will be taken to Bangladesh Mahila Parishad office at
2pm and kept there for half an hour.

Then the body will be taken to Bangla Academy and kept there for some time
before taking it to the Central Shaheed Minar where it will be kept till
5pm to enable people to pay their last respect.

Her namaj-e-janaza will be held at the Jatiya Eidgah Maidan after Maghreb
prayers. She will be buried at the Azimpur graveyard as per last wish,
family sources said.

"Being inspired by the ideology of Begum Rokeya, Sufia Kamal led the Muslim
women to the path of progress for three decades," the President said in the
message. "He was a poet who earned blessings of Rabindranath Tagore, Kazi
Nazrul Islam and Saugat Editor Mohammad Nasiruddin."

Recalling her role in anti-autocracy movements, the President said she held
women rallies and led processions during the mass upsurge in 1969.

She had been the president of Mahila Parishad since 1970 and was
associated with so many socio-cultural and literary organisations, he said.

"It is needless to say that the death of Sufia Kamal has created an
irreparable loss to the movement for welfare of women", Shahabuddin said.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in her message said the nation lost a
courageous matriarch who fought lifelong for establishing truth, justice
and democracy.

Deeply shocked at the death of the poet, Hasina said Begum Sufia Kamal,
pioneer of women renaissance, was a personality who was dauntless,
incorruptible and respected by all.

"She was the beckon of the great Language Movement and Liberation War and
inspiration in all democratic movements of the nation".

Sufia Kamal strongly condemned the killing of Father of the Nation
Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and was always vocal for the trial of the
killers, Hasina said.

She was a social reformer and was against all forms of fanaticism,
fundamentalism and autocracy, the Prime Minister said.

Leader of the Opposition Khaleda Zia also expressed her deep shock at the
death of the poet.

In her message, she said literary works of Begum Sufia Kamal have glorified
the Bangla literature.

The former prime minister also expressed her sympathy with the members of
the bereaved family and prayed for salvation of the departed soul.
_______________

#2.
Daily Star

The 'never lose hope' woman is no more!

By Staff Correspondent

In an interview with the Editor of this daily, published on January 1,
1996, Begum Sufia Kamal had expressed her anxiety and disappointment over
the present situation, and her faith in the younger generation.

She had also expressed her concern over the lack of respect for women by men.

She had also expressed her worries about rising unemployment and dependence
on foreign assistance. She enthused all never to lose hope.

Poet Sufia Kamal or 'Lady of light', was named The Daily Star Woman of the
Year in 1996

Begum Sufia Kamal, a distinguished cultural personality, well known for her
contributions for women's emancipation, was born on June 20, 1911 in
Shaishabad, Barisal.

She started social work at Barisal' Matrimangal in 1925. She was then the
lone Muslim member of the society

In 1930 she met Poet Rabindranath Tagore at Jorasanko. He gave her a copy
of Gora. In the following year, she was nominated the first Muslim woman in
Union Women's Foundation.

In 1938 her first collection of poems - Shajher Maya was published. In
1957, and in the following year, her collection of poems - Mon-o-jiban and
Shanti-o-Prarthana were published.

In 1965 her collection of nursery rhymes - ethol-bethol - was published and
in the following year Diwan, a collection of poems, saw the light of the
day.

In 1969 her collection of poems Avijan Trakik was published. Three years
later, in 1972, Mor Jaduder Shamadhi Pore was published. In 1984 Shajer
Maya's Russian edition was published.

Ekatturer Diary was published in 1989.
______________

#3.
Daily Star
Editorial

Irreparable Loss

YESTERDAY, death overcame Sufia Kamal and left the nation bereft of a rare
individual whose very presence, silent or vocal, had been a source of
inspiration in times of trouble. We are simply at a loss of words to give
an adequate expression to the void her death has created in our hearts.

In her, we had a rare individual who had dedicated her life and works to
the cause of the down-trodden; an unrelenting champion of democracy,
justice and secularism; and a voice that sang the paean of humanity, of
equality, of emancipation from pride and prejudice. She was a poet in the
true sense of the word, incorruptible, indomitable and indefatigable in her
pursuit for greater goal of love and welfare to fellow-beings. Above all,
she was a pristine spirit untainted, untarnished and untouched by the
worldly vices of greed, hatred and pettiness.

In our political and socio-cultural spheres, hers had been a strong
presence, scathing in attack against any kind of repression or
discrimination, inspirational in mass movement for greater freedom, and
ever vigilant to discern any degree of deviation in the liberation war
values. As her views and judgement on different social, cultural and
political issues were forthright, so were they unbiased and impartial and
thereby revered and acceptable to people.

Her courage and forthrightness won her friends and made enemies too, the
former heavily outnumbering the latter. In her, the deprived and repressed
humanity found a guiding spirit steering them through trials and
tribulations.

Sufia Kamal was a soothing presence in hardship, an inspiration in troubled
times and the mentor in moral crises. Her death would not change that, for
her pristine spirit would burn bright forever in millions of minds in the
country.
___________

#4.
Daily Star

A Tribute to Our Lady of Light

The Daily star named Begum Sufia Kamal the Woman of the Year 1995, Calling
her the Lady of Light at a time of "degradation, conflict, corruption,
short-sightedness and moral bancrupcy." Today, as thenation fourns her
death, we pay tribute to the "rare individual who never compromised on
principles of justice, democracy and secularism.

The Poet SpeaksIn January 1, 1996 we carried an interview with Begum Sufia
Kamal, Following are extracts from her conversation with Mahfuz Anam

Q. What are some of the most prominent thoughts in your mind at this
critical movement in our history?

A. Now I am very sick. I cannot go out into the streets and listen to the
people or talk to them, as I have been doing all my life. What worries me
most is the condition of the common people. How are they? Have their
situation improved?

One of the things that worries me very much is our increasing foreign
dependence. I agree that over the last several years a lot has been
achieved, many bridges, miles of roads, some factories and buildings in the
cities. But have all this really helped our people? With whose money have
we done all this? Is it with borrowed money that all this has been built?
What will happen if money from abroad suddenly stops coming? Have we not
become more and more dependent on foreign aid over the years? I do not
understand much about economics but I have been taught this much that the
growth that does not come from my own wealth and is dependent on somebody
else's assistance, cannot be all that good for me.

I do not understand much about free trade and what not. But I can see that
today even the most essentials - eggs, lintel, vegetable, fruits, even
salt, I am told - come from India. How can this be good for us? This leads
me to talk about the question of employment.

The other thing worries me is the rising unemployment. it is increasing all
the time. Our young boys and girls are coming out of universities and
colleges, and from vocational institutions but there is nothing for them to
do. What have we done to give employment to our young educated people? In
the old days when we did not have all these bridges there used to be small
business on both banks of a river for people who would cross. Now we just
go across the bridge. I know the bridge has improved many things, but what
about those who lost out on their daily earning? What alternative measures
have we taken for them? What I am citing is a small example of how
modernisation leads to greater unemployment unless we plan carefully.
Widespread unemployment is the fundamental cause for violence and criminal
activities among the young.

This is the third thing that worries me. I cannot re-call anytime in the
past, and I have lived through many critical times, when there was so much
violence and all round insecurity. This is very worrying indeed. The great
tradition of our students is being destroyed by the criminal elements that
have been injected into our student community by the political parties. I
cannot believe, I refuse to believe that any genuine student can raise a
gun against a fellow student, let alone kill him. These are criminals who
are under the protection of political parties.

These criminals have spread their wings into the whole society. Every
aspect of our civic life is now suffering under their evil influence. Close
relations within a neighbourhood does not exist any more because of the
local mastaans. People visiting their neighbours, our children going from
one house to another - a common feature of life in Dhaka - has all but
disappeared. We do not feel safe letting our children move freely within
our own neighbourhood anymore. Before every neighbourhood - para, moholla -
used to look after its own community, and there was pride and joy in each
other's success. Now we stay within our shells. Part of it is the change of
times, but a large part of it is due to the criminalisation of our society.

Rising population also worries me. We have such a small country, and there
are so many of us, I know now the government and the NGO are giving loans
to buy a cow, a lamp or to raise chicken at home. But for the large number
of landless, and for those who have a small home within large family
members, where will they keep their animals or raise chicken? I think the
idea of small loans to raise home based farms of all types is a very good
idea. But does it really help our landless? Can they benefit from such
loans?

Another thing that worries me is the lack of respect for women these days.
Earlier when men and women used to work side by side there used to be
tremendous mutual respect. Now it is all gone. It is the age of
competition, and I can understand that men may resent women intruding into
their world. So let there be competition, but why should it come with lack
of respect.

Q. What are your feeling on the occasion of the 25th Victory Day?

A. I could not attend this year's Victory Day celebrations. But I have been
told, and I also read in the newspapers that it was a grand celebration. I
am very pleased to hear it. Now the young people will get to know a little
better about our Liberation War. What happened at that time, and at what
cost we gained our independence. Our young people must learn that a country
cannot be formed on the basis of religion. That is what Pakistan tried.
There are Muslims all over the world - Arab muslims, Indian muslims,
Indonesian muslims, Thai muslims, and Bengali muslims. Religion is the same
for all of us, but we are different nations. Everybody has his or her own
religion. A state cannot be built on religion.

This our young people must learn, and this was the reason for our war
against Pakistan. Muslims of Bengal have always been muslims, and they
lived side by side with Hindus for hundreds of years. There was never any
friction or fight between them. So everyone must be allowed to live with
their own religion.

Today nobody is exploiting us - not Russians, Japanese, Indians or
Pakistanis. Today we Bengalis are fighting against one another and
destroying ourselves. It is we who are killing, injuring, abusing and
insulting one another. We have become our worst enemies.

The present widespread terrorism is doing immense harm. On the 25th
anniversary of our Victory, how can I live with the fact that terrorism has
engulfed our society completely? Who will save us from this? That is what
you all will have to think about.

Q. Why have we not been able to build our country better in the last 25 years?

A. The most important reason is that we do not have a courageous leader who
can lead us out of this all pervasive degeneration. We may have committed
leaders today. But none of them are courageous enough to take sweeping and
visionary decisions - decisions that go far beyond their partisan or
coterie interest. Our leaders lack courage. People of Bangladesh have never
fallen back from supporting any courageous leader. Our people are ever
ready to undertake whatever struggle necessary to solve all the problems
that we face today. What we are lacking is leadership.

In Sheikh Mujib's name our nation plunged into battle with bare hands. So
our people are full of courage, our leaders are not. Today they take
recourse to bombastic rhetoric but never take the bold and unpleasant
decisions - because they lack courage.

Q. Lack of leadership is one reason, what about other reasons for our
present problems?

A. Lack of leadership is the main reason. Nobody is thinking of the country
today. Some are thinking about staying in power, and others are thinking
about coming to power. The country does not figure in their thoughts.
Absence of leadership is the uppermost thought in my mind. But I am hopeful
that out of this present crisis there will emerge a patriotic, visionary
and courageous leadership. We will, once again, hold up our head in pride
and dignity of an independent nation.

Q. Do you see any sign of hope or only of failure?

A. Of course I am tremendously hopeful about the ability of our new
generation. If they are not misled by vested groups or the so-called
leaders, I think our young people can build this country and take us out of
this shameful poverty and backwardness.

[...]

Q. What would be your message to the nation on the occasion of the 25th
anniversary of our independence?

A. We must bring respect and dignity to our country and to our people, and
reach the fruits of independence to the masses. We must all work together
to build our country. We should not allow ourselves to be misled by a
vested group, in the name of religion, and let people exploit our religious
sentiments for narrow political ends. Our younger generation must be taught
the values of our Liberation War and the ideals for which million gave up
their lives.

_____________
# 5.

A Pristine Spirit
On the occation of the Independence Day this year Navine Murshed
interviewed Begum Sufia Kamal. Sadly, it was her last interview to the
Daily Star. Extracts from the conversation

DS: What are your feelings on the occasion of Independence Day?

SK: I am very pleased to see that, of late, occasions such as Independence
Day and Victory Day are being celebrated in a grand manner. Now, the young
people will get to know a little better about our liberation war, what
happened at that time and at what cost we gained our independence. Our
young people must learn that a country cannot be formed based on religion.
That is what Pakistan tried. There are Muslims all over the world - Arab
Muslims, Indian Muslims, Indonesian Muslims, Thai Muslims and Bengali
Muslims. Religion is the same for all of us, but we are different nations.
Everyone has his or her own religion. A state cannot be built on religion.
This, our youngsters must learn, and this was the reason for our war
against Pakistan.

DS: What do you feel towards the present generation in terms of cultural
awareness and their attachment to their roots? Do you feel that we have
been able to live up to the spirit of 1971?

SK: The present generation has been deliberately kept away from the real
spirit of 1971. The whole nation, with the exception of the traitors,
Rajakars and Al-Badrs, fought for an exploitation-free, non-communal,
egalitarian and above all a democratic society. It was written in the 1972
constitution. But over the years, the autocratic and military rulers have
deliberately erased the spirit of liberation from people's minds for a
generation without self-esteem and patriotism is easier to subjugate than
people with self-respect and idealism. The present generation is given to
believe that Bangladesh is a country they can never live in. No one
recognises the responsibility to build this country, to make this a
liveable place for all. True, they are exposed to wider culture and that
would not be something to worry about if they had known their own culture
and been in a position to deal with the exposure from a confident position.
This should be on the basis of exchange and not just adopting the external
trends that overwhelm them so much that they lose contact with their own
culture! Culture is dynamic and will change, but not sweep the original
base. These are all linked with internalisation of the spirit of various
struggles we had since 1952, the 1960s, the mass upheaval of 1969 and war
of 1971. We all must make efforts to see, feel and continuously reflect
these in our life and create an atmosphere where the generation gets to
know them.

DS: What do you see in Bangladesh's future?

SK: Bangladesh is one of the most resourceful countries of the world in
terms of its people, natural resources, its beauty and above all its spirit
of freedom. Though, the country is going through a very difficult time, I
have no doubt about its bright future. I am hopeful that out of the
present power struggle there will emerge a patriotic, visionary and
courageous leader. We will once again hold our heads high in pride and

#6.

Highlights of an Eventful Life

1911 : Born on Monday, June 20, at Rahat Manzil, Shaistabad,
Barisal. Her father was Syed Abdul Bari and mother Syeda Sabera Khatun.

1918 : Met Begum Rokeya for the first time in Calcutta.

1923 : Got married to maternal cousin Syed Nehal Hossain. Left
Shaistabad for Barisal town. Published first story Sainik Badhu in a
magazine from Barisal called Tarun. Poet Kamini Roy visited Barisal and
encouraged Sufia N Hossain to continue writing.

1925 : Started doing social work in Barisal's Matri Mongol's. She
was the lone Muslim member of the society. When Gandhiji came to Barisal,
she gave him home spun thread in a public gathering.

1926 : Her poem first printed in Saugat. First child Amena Khatun
born.

1927 : Wrote a letter to Md Nasiruddin, Editor of Saugat, to help
distressed Nazrul.

1928 : Got the credit for being the first Bengali Muslim woman to
fly in an aeroplane, for which she was congratulated by Begum Rokeya.

1929 : Started working as a member in Begum Rokeya's Anjumane
Khaowatine Islam. Sent poet Rabindranath Tagore a poem on his birthday. Met
the poet on his invitation at Jorasanka. He gave a copy of Gora.

1930 : Write-up published along with photograph in Sougat's first
women's issue.

1931 : Nominated as the first Muslim women in Union Women's
Foundation.

1937 : Started career as a teacher in Calcutta Corporation School.
(1933-1941).

1937 : First collection of stories Keya Kata was published. Wished
Rabindranath Tagore on his birthday through a poem which was replied in the
same manner by the poet from Almora.

1938 : First collection of poems Shajher Maya was published. Sent
Tagore a copy of the book and received blessing.

1940 : Participated in the movement against the British. First
son, Shahed Kamal, was born.

1946 : Conducted a relief centre at Lady Brabourne College during
the communal riots. Met Sheikh Mujibur Rahman for the first time. After the
riot she along with Md. Modabber, artist Kamrul Hassan, his brother Hassan
Jan and many other members of Mukul Fauj started a kindergarten school
named Begum Rokeya Memorial in Congress Exhibition Park.

1947 : Before the partition, worked as Editor, of the first
weekly Begum. After partition came back to Bangladesh with husband. Met
famous women leaders like Lila Ray, Juiful Ray, Asha Lata Sen and joined
them in Shanti Committee.

1949 : Bought our 'Weekly Sultana' jointly with Jahanara Arzoo.

1950 : Daughter Sultana Kamal was born. Revolted against the
communal riots in Dhaka, gave leadership to the resistance movement and
worked as a relief worker.

1951 : Collection of poems Maya Kajol was published. Elected
president of Dhaka Shishu Raksha Samity.

1952 : During the language movement gathered women to organise a
procession. Played active role in the movement beside giving leadership to
the procession. Daughter Syeda Kamal was born.

1954 : Established 'Wari Women Samity' and elected first President
of the Samity.

1955 : Led the first women gherao resistance, on the streets of
Dhaka, because of the price hike of commodities.

1956 : Participated in a Shahitya Sammelan in Delhi. Established a
national children's organisation Kachi Kanchar Mela at her own residence.

1957 : Published Mon-o-Jiban, a collection of poems.

1958 : Published Shanti-o-Prathana, a collection of poems.

1959 : Received BAFA award (Bulbul Lalitkala Academy)

1960 : Established Begum Rokeya Shakhawat Smriti Committee and
proposed naming of Dhaka University's first women's hostel after Begum
Rokeya.

1961 : Elected president of cultural organisation Chhayanot.
Received Tamgha-e-Imtiaz award from Pakistan government.

1962 : Received Bangla Academy Award for poetry.

1964 : Received Begum Club award. Published collection of poems
Udatta Prithibi.

1965 : Published collection of nursery rhymes Ethol-Bethol.
Elected president of Nari Kalyan Sangstha. Elected president of
Soviet-Pakistan Maitry Samity.

1966 : Diwan (collection of poems) published. Went to Soviet Union
to join International Women's Day festivals in Moscow. Second edition of
Shanjher Maya.

1967 : Second edition of Keya Kata.

1968 : Published Soviet-e-Dinguli, a travelogue.

1969 : Published collection of poems Abhijan Trakik. Elected
Chairperson of Mahila Sangram Committee. Took active part in mass uprising
against Ayub. Renounced Tamgha-e-Imtiaz.

1970 : Received the prestigious Soviet Lenin Padak. Established
Mahila Parishad and became its President. Worked as relief worker during
the 1970 cyclone. Elected president of Samaj Unnayan Sangstha.

1971 : Led the women's rally during the non-co-operation movement
in March. During the Independence War she stayed back at her Dhanmondi
residence and continued helping the muktijoddhas (freedom-fighters).
Prepared the manuscript of Ekatturer Diary. Inaugurated the first
television programme of independent Bangladesh.

1972 : Mor Jaduder Shamadhi Pore, collection of poems published.
Visited Bulgaria, West Germany, Soviet Union as President of Mahila
Parishad.

1975 : Awarded Ananaya Nari by the Bangladesh United Nations
Association on the occasion of International Women's Decade. Mor Jaduder
Samadhi Pore was translated in English from USA - Where My Darlings Lie
Buried.

1976 : Awarded Ekushe Padak by Bangladesh Government, and
Nurunnessa Khatun Bidya Binodin award.

1977 : Husband Kamaluddin died. Received Nasir Uddin gold medal
and Sher-e-Bangla National Literary award.

1978 : Received Comilla Foundation award. Visited USA

1981 : Noatal Kishore Darbar collection of poems published.
Received Dhaka Ladies Club award and Czechoslovakia Sangram Nari award.

1982 : Received Muktodhara Mahila award and Phulki (Chittagong)
children award. Elected president of Rabindra Sangeet Shammelan.

1983 : Received Begum Zebunnessa Mahabullah Trust Award, Kathakoli
Shilpi Goshthi Award and Pata Shahitya Padak.

1984 : Shanjher Maya's Russian translation published.

1985 : Received Shaheed Nutan Chandra medal (Chittagong) and
Kabitala (Khulna) award.

1986 : Received Dhaka University award.

1988 : Elected president Bangabandhu Parishad. Awarded Ruma Smriti
Award (Khulna). Published Akale Amader Kal. Bango Shahitya Shammelan and
Bangladesh Association of New England invited her to USA, her second visit.

1989 : Published Ekatturer Diary. Received Jasimuddin Padak and
was made Member of Congress (USA) of Bangladesh Society of New York.

1990 : Denounced curfew and led the silent procession during the
historic movement against autocracy.

1991 : On the occasion of her 80th birthday received a civic
reception. Received Business and Professional Women's award, Mukti Juddho
Sanghati Parishad's Mujib medal.

1992 : Third publication of Keya Kata. Joined London's Bangla
Literary Parishad organised literary conference and was awarded Bango
Janani decoration. Awarded Begum Rokeya Padak of Nari Kalyan Sangstha.

1993 : Received Shahidullah Kaiser Smriti Medal on the occasion of
the 40th anniversary of Kendriya Khelaghar.