SACW | 3 July, 2003

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Thu, 3 Jul 2003 04:29:54 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire   |  3 July,  2003

#1. How 'liberation' has brought anarchy to Kabul,
and now history is repeated in Baghdad (Robert Fisk)
#2. Trial of the murderers of Gujarat - Online Letter to India's
Human Rights Commission
#3. Young Indians [and Pakistanis] make peace (Monica Chadha)
#4. Kashmir: Brian Cloughley contests claims by Kuldip Nayar re Siachen
#5. The India-Pakistan odyssey (Imtiaz Ahmad)
#6. [US] Trade Pact With Pakistan Reflects Politics, Not Economics,
Critics Say (Daniel Altman)
#7. India: A devious Ayodhya solution will fail (Praful Bidwai)
#8. Preserve secular India, stress Indian Muslims in US
#9. In condemnation of the U.S. invasion of Iraq and the Indian
Govt.'s efforts to join the bandwagon by possibly committing troops
Pedestrian Pictures invites you to the screening of 'Hidden wars of
Desert Storm' (Bangalore, 5 July 2003)
#10. India: Human Rights Panel is a Toothless Tiger (Times of India)
#11. Firaq Gorakhpuri Festival on Urdu literature  (Karachi, 11-13 July 2003=
)
- Message of support to the Organiser of the Festival (I.K. Shukla)
#12. 'I Am Not a Refugee': Rethinking Partition Migration (Md.
Mahbubar Rahman  and Willem Van Schendel)

--------------

#1.

The Independent (UK)

How 'liberation' has brought anarchy to Kabul,
and now history is repeated in Baghdad
By Robert Fisk, Middle East Correspondent

So security is the problem in Afghanistan, is it? Who would
have believed it? Those freedom-loving Afghans feel no more
liberated than their Iraqi brothers 1,200 miles further
west, it seems.

=46or Fallujah, read Kandahar. For Baghdad, read Kabul. Jack
Straw visits Kandahar and what happens just before this
expert on weapons of mass destruction arrives? Someone tries
to blow up a local mosque, wounding 16 people, four of them
seriously. Turns out the Imam, Mawlavi Abdullah Fayaz, had
condemned the Taliban's interpretation of Islam. Those pesky
Taliban "remnants" - always "remnants", mark you - strike
again. But it's much more serious than this.

Afghanistan was "liberated" by Mr Straw's government and
that of George Bush. And now it's in a state of anarchy.
Then Iraq was "liberated" by Mr Straw's government and that
of George Bush. And now it too is in a state of anarchy and
increasing guerrilla insurrection. What on earth did Mr
Straw learn in Kandahar?

With Abdullah Abdullah, Afghanistan's loquacious Foreign
Minister, he talked about security, reconstruction and - of
course - opium. But according to the United Nations,
Afghanistan is once more the world's top opium exporter. And
narcotics production goes hand-in-hand with lawlessness.

So what does Mr Straw tell his hosts in Afghanistan? "As in
any other country, security must lie in the hands of the
people. At the end, we can do what we can, but it's both
your responsibility and your duty."

Mr Fayaz saw the waistcoat in the mosque - the waistcoat
covering the bomb - just before it exploded. He was head of
the local council of ulema (Muslim scholars) who have
supported the government of Hamid Karzai. So he became a
target.

Yet the one demand almost all Afghans make - that
international troops should be deployed in other cities, not
just in Kabul, and hoover up the millions of rifles and
rocket-propelled grenades - is denied them by the United
States (and, of course, therefore by Britain). Why?
The Americans are keen to confiscate weapons in
Iraq. Why not in Afghanistan as well?

Well, most Afghans have a shrewd idea of the answer. The
Americans know that al-Qa'ida is re-forming in Afghanistan,
that they are doing so around the Taliban and that the
"Allied success" (aka George Bush) and "victory" (aka Tony
Blair) is beginning to look more and more like a disaster.

So the Americans are buying the local tribes to fight the
Taliban, just as they bought the Northern Alliance with
millions of dollars in 2001 to fight the Taliban. And the
tribes don't want to be disarmed and made amenable
to Kabul.

So these tribal warlords have no interest in the kind of
"security" about which Mr Straw was talking. They want
personal power; and as long as the Americans are in
Afghanistan they will have it.

And Mr Straw is indeed very worried about "security". Tell
this, as they say, to the Afghans.

=A9 2003 Independent Digital (UK) Ltd

_____

#2.

PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND SIGN AN ONLINE LETTER TO INDIA'S HUMAN
RIGHTS COMMISSION.

Trial of the murderers of Gujarat. Letter to NHRC re. the Best Bake[r]y Case
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/NHRCbbc/petition.html

[Finally, in the last 24 hours or so it seems the NHRC has swung into
action but we should keep the pressure on and write as many letters
as possible.]

--
[ Full text of the letter below:]

To:  The National Human Rights Commission of India

[Please join us in sharing concern about a free investigation into
the Gujarat pogrom followed by a fair trial of the accused. Append
your name to the below letter. On the 21th of July 2003 we will send
this the National Human Rights Commission of India (NHRC). We would
encourage all to also write and send similar letters which can be
E-mailed / Faxed and snail mailed to the chair of the NHRC. [E-mail:
chairnhrc@nic.in / Fax: (91) + 11-23340016.] We also invite you to
use the telephone [91-11-23340891] and speak to the officials of NHRC
to press them to move on the Gujarat Bakery Case.]

The Chairperson
National Human Rights Commission
Sardar Patel Bhavan
Sansad Marg
New Delhi - 110001

Dear Sir or Madam,

Your Commission recorded the evidence of several persons in
connection with the violence in Gujarat in 2002. One of these was
Sheikh Zahira Habibullah of Vadodara, later to become the chief
witness in the trial of the Best Bakery case. This witness turned
hostile and denied the testimony which she had given to your
Commission and to several others and which was widely reported. Like
her, many other witnesses in the case turned hostile.

In the judgment pronounced in the Best Bakery case last week, all the
accused were held to be not guilty for want of evidence. Many reports
in the media have clearly said that the prosecution and investigation
in this case did not do their duty on account of sectarian
considerations. It is also widely believed that pressure in some form
was the reason for the surprising number of prosecution witnesses'
turning hostile.

Possibly anticipating just such an eventuality, your Commission had
recommended that several cases, including the Best Bakery case, be
handed over to the Central Bureau of Investigation.
The Government of Gujarat did not act on this recommendation.

We urge you to take such action as you see fit to right the wrong
which apparently has been done. The matter is clearly one of human
rights and therefore within your jurisdiction: because the violence
in Gujarat in 2002 was directed against the entire Muslim community
and because that community continues to be the victim of organised
and sustained discrimination and may legitimately fear that its human
rights will be infringed in and through sham trials in the many cases
which remain to be tried.

Yours truly,

Mukul Dube (New Delhi) and Harsh Kapoor (France)

_____

#3.

BBC News
2 July, 2003, 12:53 GMT 13:53 UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/3038316.stm

Young Indians [and Pakistanis] make peace
By Monica Chadha
BBC correspondent in Delhi

While official diplomacy between India and Pakistan moves ahead at a
slow, steady pace, young people from both countries have decided to
take matters into their hands.

The delegation hope they can bring about some changes

=46ifteen students - seven men and eight women - from all over India
have travelled to the Pakistani city of Karachi.
They are there to take part in a 12-day workshop with 15 of their
Pakistani counter-parts.
The workshop involves a series of art related communication exercises
that include composing music, making films and learning various dance
forms.
Most of the students are between the ages of 18 and 21.

More interaction

The event has been organised by Youth Initiative for Peace (YIP), a
year old organisation that has young people from both countries for
members.
A member of the organisation and one of the organisers of the
workshop, Shubhangi said members of the group first met in Singapore
in 2002 where they realised the need for more interactions between
the youth of the two nations.
"Youth Initiative for Peace was formed to promote sustainable peace
in the subcontinent and we realised we need to cut through the
national diplomacy, propaganda spread by our text books and see the
people across the border for who they really are," said Shubhangi.

  I think the world is going to see some kind of change

Lalita Ramdas
Social activist

"We thought such interactions would help build a bridge between the
two countries because the new generation comes without any historic
baggage."
Educationist and social activist Lalita Ramdas is accompanying the
student group to Karachi and says the remarkable thing about this
event is the fact that it was organised - true to its name - almost
entirely on the initiative of the young members.
"I believe that it is going to be through young people meeting with
each other, giving them the freedom and the autonomy in a way to take
the decisions that will take us forward out of the morass in which we
are stuck," said Ms Ramdas.
"I think the world is going to see some kind of change and it will be
brought about by these young people, the future ambassadors of our
country."
Surprisingly, the young people travelled to Karachi with hope and
ideas of changing the present state of affairs between the two
countries but at the same time, they are realistic about their goals.

'Striving for peace'
Nineteen year-old Sairekha Suresh Kumar says peace is a concept
everyone believes in and therefore people should work towards it.

Sairekha Suresh Kumar says there is real hope

"We need to strive for peace for the upcoming generations and I think
somebody has to make a start," she said.
"Maybe it could be us at our level because we are willing to go
beyond diplomatic relations."
Pavitra Chalam is also one of the delegate members in Karachi and she
says the sad part is some people think this exercise is a waste of
time.
"I'm not going to be an idealist and say everything is going to work
out," said Ms Chalam
"Each of us is here, more out of curiosity and fascination. I think
it's a small step that will go a long way because if we talk to each
other, interact on a regular basis, our generation could move on with
no baggage, misconceptions and pre-conceived notions."
This is not the first student delegation to have gone across the
border for interaction with the youth of Pakistan.
But the fact that these events happen on a quite regular basis shows
the level of curiosity and willingness to learn about each other
amongst the new generation of both nations.
It is a positive step towards improved relations between the two
estranged neighbours.

o o o

[Web site of Youth initiative for peace which is hosting the 10 day
Youth without Borders event in Karachi :
http://www.youth.initiativeforpeace.org/  ]

_____

#4.

The Hindu (India) July 03, 2003

The India-Pakistan odyssey
By Imtiaz Ahmad
Peace is not a one-way street. It has to be achieved through joint efforts.
http://www.hinduonnet.com/stories/2003070300891000.htm

_____

#5.

[ Posted below is an important response received from Brian Cloughley
re an article by Kuldip Nayar whose URL was carried in SACW (2 July).
The full particulars of the Nayar article are: The Indian Express,
July 01, 2003
"The core issue is not Kashmir, it is mutual suspicion - Circle of
mistrust" by Kuldip Nayar
http://www.indianexpress.com/full_story.php?content_id=3D26742  ]

o o o

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 15:57:49 EDT

Kuldip Nayar writes that:

"The Siachen glacier is an example. A settlement to redeploy forces
of the two countries was worked out more than 15 years ago so that
the glacier remained free of troops. The agreement was initialed by
foreign secretaries from both sides.
The untimely disclosure of details by the Pakistan foreign secretary
made New Delhi so angry that it cancelled the whole thing."

I was in Pakistan at the time (14-17 June 1989) and describe the
affair in my book on the Pakistan Army.  There was no question of
premature disclosure of details by anyone, on either side.  It was a
done deal --- until Mr SK Singh returned to Delhi, when it was
negated.

The BBC, VOA and All India Radio (Urdu service) had reported it as a
success.  What happened after Mr Singh returned home was that the MEA
in Delhi issued a "clarification" which read :  "The Indian foreign
secretary had endorsed the Pakistan foreign secretary's observations
on their talks, whereas the report made out as if he had endorsed the
Pakistan foreign secretary's remarks on the defence secretaries'
talks."

This was obfuscatory rather than illuminating.   I discussed the
affair at considerable length with five well-known foreign
journalists in Islamabad at the time and state that there was no
indication on the Pakistan side, officially or otherwise, at any
time, of any details of the agreement that had not been covered in
the public statement agreed by both secretaries.

I have gone over my extensive notes and press cuttings of the period
and can find no mention of the Pakistan foreign secretary making any
"untimely disclosure" or that there was a complaint from Delhi along
such lines.   Mr Singh stated at Islamabad airport on 17 June that he
endorsed the Pakistan foreign secretary's remarks on the agreement,
the text of which was given in a clear joint statement, a copy of
which I have.

A sensible agreement had been reached, concerning which the two
armies were to determine new positions, as announced in the
communique.  There was no problem whatever with the accord as it
stood.  Had it been implemented it would have saved the lives of
hundreds of young soldiers who, because of the intransigence of silly
bureaucrats and their political masters, have died in avalanches,
from pneumonia and in totally futile hostilities in the eighteen
years since Mrs Gandhi sent troops to occupy the area.

Best wishes,
Brian

_____

#6.

The New York Times
July 2, 2003

Trade Pact With Pakistan Reflects Politics, Not Economics, Critics Say
By DANIEL ALTMAN

When he took office two years ago, Robert B. Zoellick, the nation's
top trade official, envisioned a ladder of trade agreements for
countries interested in doing business with the United States. As a
country improved its trading rules and showed a willingness to open
its markets, it would step up to reduced tariffs and more intense
economic relations.

The Trade and Investment Framework Agreement that was signed last
month with Pakistan was intended as the bottom rung. Yet it came into
being largely as a result of political expediency, rather than the
familiar economic motivation that trade helps both sides. Indeed, in
the short term Pakistan may realize few tangible benefits, and its
further progress up the ladder could depend more on politics than on
economics.

To some analysts, the Bush administration's actions follow a clear
pattern of putting political back-scratching ahead of economic
considerations in the trade arena.

"They have done a fairly good job of not giving away freebies without
getting something in return," said Robert C. Fauver, a former
economic adviser to the State Department who is now president of
=46auver Associates, a consulting firm. "They wanted to really see how
the president helped out in the search for Al Qaeda folks," he said,
referring to Gen. Pervez Musharraf, the president of Pakistan.

As a result, said Vinod K. Aggarwal, director of the Berkeley Asia
Pacific Economic Cooperation Study Center at the University of
California at Berkeley, politically motivated bilateral trade pacts
may grab the spotlight away from the traditional focus of the United
States =97 the global trading system. "Favored countries get better
treatment," he said, "and it doesn't really depend on your economic
situation."

The framework agreement came with a promise from President Bush to
seek $3 billion in aid for Pakistan from Congress. Yet the White
House did not give away much on the trade front. The deal did not
offer concessions to Pakistan's textile makers, which account for the
majority of the country's exports to the United States. In fact, it
only sets up annual talks that may or may not lead to freer trade.

"It's really a dialogue," said Richard Mills, a spokesman for Mr.
Zoellick. "Sometimes you can have a TIFA with a country, and it can
just lapse," he said, using the acronym for the agreement. "It is not
in itself a demonstrator of further moves."

Two months after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, the United States
pledged $600 million in economic assistance to Pakistan. The White
House and Congress lifted trade sanctions that had been imposed in
response to Pakistan's testing of nuclear weapons and the coup that
brought its military government to power. But while the European
Union quickly cut tariffs and raised quotas for Pakistan's textiles =97
the country's main manufacturing output =97 the United States waited,
leaving many Pakistanis embittered.

Last February, the United States gave Pakistan a three-year package
of trade bonuses, including the relaxation of quotas on certain
textile imports. But many of the breaks affected products that
Pakistan did not produce in substantial volume. Three weeks ago,
Pakistan's commerce minister, Humayun Akhtar Khan, said that only
about $20 million out of $143 million in potential benefits actually
appeared in the first year.

The new framework agreement will have little effect on the well-being
of the average Pakistani, said Teresita C. Schaffer, a former United
States ambassador to Sri Lanka who is director of the South Asia
program at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, a
nonpartisan research group. "The only thing that's going to make this
agreement worth more than paper is private economic transactions."

Given the minimal scope of the agreement =97 its articles take up just
over a page =97 why did it take so long to sign? Again, the experts
said, the answer is in the politics. In addition to monitoring
Pakistan's cooperation in rounding up members of Al Qaeda, Mr. Fauver
said, the United States had to gauge how reaching out to Pakistan
would affect relations with India, Pakistan's neighbor and constant
adversary in territorial disputes.

Politics at home might also have contributed to the delay, especially
with respect to trade in textiles. The White House may have viewed
the negotiation of a more comprehensive deal with Pakistan as an
unnecessary bother, Ms. Schaffer said. In 2005, quotas for textile
imports by members of the World Trade Organization, including the
United States and Pakistan, will disappear. "Giving up important
political chips to liberalize textile exports gives you one, maybe
two years of benefits," she said.

A senior United States trade official, who spoke by phone yesterday
on condition of anonymity, also threw cold water on the idea of a
substantial trade agreement with Pakistan, including textiles, before
2005.

"I don't rule it out completely, but I doubt it," the official said.
"We have a textile industry ourselves that is in some peril, and we
want to do nothing to put it into further peril. Pakistan is a friend
of the U.S. So are many other countries that are textile exporters. I
think it would be very unlikely that we would offer special benefits
to Pakistan that we would not be prepared to offer other countries."

Yet, even in the Carolinas, where the textile industry is most
entrenched, political analysts say, President Bush might have little
to lose by doing Pakistan's economy a big favor.

"His support in North Carolina, and I'm sure it's even more so in
South Carolina, is so rock solid that he could do anything to
textiles and it would have no impact on it," said David Lowery, a
professor of political science at the University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill.

Professor Lowery said that the White House also faced little
formidable opposition from local senators. "You've got a freshman
Republican senator sitting there, and you've got two Democrats," he
said. "Bush doesn't need to worry about what any of them are going to
do."

Yet in terms of monetary political contributions, the textile
industry is not so far behind the steel producers, which received
controversial protection from the administration last year. In the
last electoral cycle, textile companies and workers gave $1.5 million
to candidates and political parties (63 percent of that to
Republicans), while the steel industry gave about $2.1 million (64
percent to Republicans), according to the Center for Responsive
Politics, a nonprofit research group. A bipartisan group of members
of Congress also supports the industry through a textile caucus.

Regardless of the political consequences at home, some issues have
clearly moved off the table, at least with regard to trade. The
sanctions the United States imposed on Pakistan in the past were
meant to quell its nuclear ambitions and to ensure the return of a
democratic, civilian government. Now, movement toward open markets
may have little do do with those issues, given Pakistan's importance
as an ally in the war on terror.

"I doubt the administration will want to link it to progress towards
democracy," Ms. Schaffer said. "I don't think this administration is
too committed to those policy goals in Pakistan." Even though
Pakistan has failed to meet its self-imposed goals for
democratization, she said, American officials "are inclined to let
themselves be persuaded that what is happening is O.K."

And Professor Aggarwal pointed out that about half of the latest
package of economic aid would arrive in the form of military
hardware, which would not stimulate Pakistan's economy. "The approach
the administration is taking doesn't make a lot of sense," he said.
The military aid is "essentially propping up someone else who's not
democratically elected."

_____

#7.

The News International (Pakistan)
July 03, 2003

A devious Ayodhya solution will fail

Praful Bidwai

Just as the archaeological excavation ordered by a court at Ayodhya
is turning up negative results on the existence of a Hindu temple
beneath the demolished Babri mosque, the Bharatiya Janata Party has
floated a new proposal for an out-of-court settlement to the dispute.
The initiative comes through the Shankaracharya of Kanchi in Tamil
Nadu. It has slim chances of winning consensual approval unless the
BJP stops being devious and takes an even-handed approach to the
issue.

The proposal has not been fully disclosed in its current avatar. But
broadly, it asks that a Ram temple be built where the Babri mosque
stood. That means the Muslims, who have a strong title claim to that
plot, give it up and accept that a mosque may be built close by. In
turn, Hindu organisations give up their claim to the Kashi and
Mathura "mosques". Muslims will also be allowed to pray in some 1,000
historic mosques -- according to some, only 100 monuments -- which
are currently under care of the Archaeological Survey of India.

Various Muslim organisations say they are open to a compromise
provided it is honourable and recognises that a grievous wrong was
committed in razing the Babri mosque in December 1992. But the Vishwa
Hindu Parishad has already shot down the idea. It now accuses the BJP
of "betraying" the Hindus and "selling out" to the Muslims. The
temple issue, which once united different Hindutva streams, now
divides them.

The Hindutva forces have also suffered a setback on "discovering" a
temple at Ayodhya which pre-dates the mosque built in 1528 AD.
Despite numerous extensions, the archaeological excavation at Ayodhya
has failed to produce evidence that a Hindu temple existed where the
Babri mosque stood.

The Archaeological Survey -- which reports to a government led by
Hindutva zealots like L.K. Advani and Murli Manohar Joshi, who have
been charged in the Babri demolition case -- has submitted two new
"status reports" to the Allahabad High Court.

These too show no evidence of a temple pre-existing the mosque. If
there was such a temple, its structural remains would have been found
beneath the mosque's floor. The only pre-Babri structures found are
brick walls and lime (chuna)-plastered floors, characteristic of
medieval Islamic practices.

According to leading medieval historian Irfan Habib and eminent
archaeologist Suraj Bhan, "matters have become definitively clear"
with the ASI's latest reports. Its 55 new trenches cover the entire
Babri mosque complex and much of the surrounding area, including
spots right next to the makeshift Ram canopy/temple.

Yet, say these experts and their associates like Supriya Verma, Jaya
Menon and Syed Ali Nadeem Rezavi, who closely observed the excavation
as litigants' nominees: "In trench after trench, no structural
remains below the mosque's floor level have been found... [Those]
found in some trenches are all of construction associated with the
[Babri] mosque."

Much fuss was made earlier about "pillar bases" of a hypothetical
temple. But only seven were found in just six trenches (out of
100-plus), without alignment or uniformity of level. They are not
load-bearing structures or associated with any Hindu architectural
tradition. They couldn't have been a temple's pillar bases.

The experts quoted say the Devanagari inscription, about which a
hullabaloo was made in Outlook magazine (June 2), was a
computer-manipulated image which appears to be "quite modern [The
letters] read napala du rabh, with no resemblance to the word swaahom
followed by word Ram, as alleged".

The pervasive presence of animal bones with cut-marks, Muslim glazed
ware, and finds with "Arabic inscriptions of holy verses", and the
"absence of even a trace of anything" indicating a temple's remains,
suggest that the local pre-Babri habitation had a strong Muslim
component, according to the social scientists.

There is powerful evidence that underneath the Babri lay another
mosque from the (pre-Mughal) Sultanate period. "The Babri Masjid
structure was superimposed on a pre-existing mosque which was
constructed out of stones and plastered over with lime mortar,
plastering being an art brought in by Muslims", says Professor Suraj
Bhan.

Also found under the Babri structure was graves. Underlying the Ram
chabutra was a hauz (water reservoir) with a lime-plastered floor.
Most of the other "antiquities" were glazed pottery, pestles, bones,
etc., which point to a temple's non-existence.

The ASI's excavation was excessive: professional archaeologists would
have dug just four trenches around the Babri structure, in place of
the 100-plus. In archaeology, more isn't better. The sole evidence of
a pre-existing temple has to be its structure -- plinth, base, walls,
etc. This is absent.

Clearly, the VHP's temple claim is not based on facts. Nor does any
Hindu scriptural authority back it. It's based on invented,
irrational faith.

Millions of people were thus taken for a ride by Hindutva fanatics on
the Ayodhya issue -- in the manner of medieval mobs who would hunt
witches on mere suspicion. The entire Ayodhya movement was driven by
revenge for "past wrongs". Its divisive politics was designed to
spread hatred and lynch people.

The VHP, true to type, now says this is a matter of faith. It demands
a grand temple must be built at the Babri site; a mosque can only be
built 10 km away. But the Ayodhya Jama Masjid already exists, 1.5 km
away, as do other mosques.

The VHP rejects the formula of the Kanchi Shankaracharya because he
is a Shaivite whereas Rama belongs to the Vaishnavite tradition. The
Shankaracharya is discreetly acting on behalf of the government, as
he did in March 2002. Yet, the VHP has spurned his "compromise". It's
bent upon dictating terms: the temple must be built where we demand
it-the courts, archaeologists, facts can go to hell. It's arrogating
to itself the right to speak on behalf of 820 million Hindus.

The VHP has no respect for the law of the land, leave alone
tolerance. However, it couldn't have become the monster it has
without the BJP's active support, legitimation and collusion.

It's a bit late in the day for Prime Minister Vajpayee to say that
the temple issue should be "free from party politics". It's the BJP
which politicised it first. Vajpayee himself declared the Ayodhya
campaign a "national movement". The various forces involved in the
Babri demolition are indulging in finger-pointing, while evading
responsibility for the mosque's demolition.

The time has come to adopt a clean, principled, transparent approach.
An honourable, equitable compromise on Ayodhya alone can win the
confidence of the Muslims. If the Hindutva forces remain
intransigent, the courts must be left to deal with it.

Eighty-five percent of Muslims, according to a survey, don't want to
gift the Ayodhya land to the Hindus, without an assurance on the
mosque's rebuilding. An unfair settlement shouldn't be imposed on
them. When social negotiation breaks down, and political leaders
fail, the law alone can resolve disputes. Parliament legislation is
no substitute for judicial determination.

There must be no humiliating, dishonourable, unjust compromise, which
erases the crime committed against Indian secularism in December 1992.

_____

#8.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/5967_296412,001600060001.htm

Preserve secular India, stress Indian Muslims in US
-->
Indo-Asian News Service
Washington, July 2

The first annual meet of a Washington-based advocacy group for Indian
Muslims gave a call to counter what it said was the growing influence
of "Hindu extremists" in India.

The Indian Muslim Council (IMC)-USA convention, the first of its
kind, held in Santa Clara, California, drew a crowd of about 500
activists, prominent religious and community leaders, political and
social activists, researchers and NGOs.

The participants presented a detailed analysis of the political and
economic strategy of Hindu supremacists and declared that its efforts
to divide India would fail.

They also called upon on the Indian diaspora in the U.S. to do their
bit to "battle for the soul of India".

The discussions focused on important contemporary issues relating to
regional instability, human rights, sectarian violence, militant
nationalism and prospects of boosting social amity in India.

The Godhra riots in Gujarat last year and the alleged official
compliance in the communal violence were also highlighted at the
convention, according to an IMC press release.

Praful Bidwai, a prominent journalist and political commentator in
India, said that attempts to destroy India's secular democracy would
fail.

He backed his prediction with the fact that an overwhelming majority
of India's national newspapers lamented the Bharatiya Janata Party's
electoral victory in Gujarat.

John Prabhudoss, executive director of the Policy Institute for
Religion & State, a Washington-based think tank, spoke about the need
for joint efforts to counter the influence of Hindu extremists on
Capitol Hill and the establishment of a framework of cooperation
among secular and plural minded groups.

=46ather Cedric Prakash, the director of Prashant, a Jesuit Centre of
Human Rights, Justice and Peace in Gujarat, forewarned people not to
develop amnesia about the Gujarat violence.

Shaik Ubaid, president of IMC-USA, reassured Prakash that IMC-USA
would continue to work to bring all religious and secular groups
together to promote pluralism in India.

Awards named after great Indian Muslims were presented in various
categories. The award for "Best in-depth coverage of the Indian
diaspora" was awarded to Rukmini Callimachi of the Daily Herald of
Illinois for her series on the Indian diaspora living in suburban
Chicago.

Earlier in the day Nishrin Hussain, the daughter of Ehsan Jafri, the
MP who was slain in the Gujarat violence, spoke about how women and
children were specifically targeted.

The convention evoked a lot of media interest.

A report in the San Jose Mercury News, published from the Bay Area of
California, quoted some members of Hindu nationalist groups as saying
that events such as this convention play a divisive role in the
community and do little to move forward.

Others viewed it differently.

"A convention like this is very important in terms of outreach and in
terms of sending a message that we are present and we are growing,"
said Angana Chatterji, an anthropology professor at the California
Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco.

Some media reports also said the Silicon Valley's Indian American
community has an influence over homeland politics perhaps
unprecedented for an immigrant group.

_____

#9.

Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003

The Government of India is only waiting for Foreign Secretary, Kanwal
Sibal's return from meetings with the Pentagon to clarify on
logistical, command and control issues before sending Indian troops
to Iraq. (The Hindu, 2 July 2003) In an obvious succumb to mounting
U.S. pressure, the Government is refusing to acknowledge that the
involvement of the Indian troops, outside a U.N. mandate, would be in
support of the invasion of Iraq. We don't have to look far to seek
the reason behind this adamant endorsement of the U.S.=EDs war
mongering efforts. The next page in the day's newspaper states it all
too clearly - "India has discussed prospects of increasing annual oil
imports from Iraq with the U.S. Dept. of Energy" (India seeks more
Iraqi oil contracts - The Hindu 2 July 2003)

In strong condemnation of the U.S. invasion and the Indian Govt.'s
efforts to join the bandwagon

Pedestrian Pictures
invites you to the screening of

Hidden wars of Desert Storm
(63 mins / Colour / Free-Will Productions - 2000)

On 5 July 2003, Saturday, 5:30 p.m.

At Feroze's Estate Agency
(Cunningham Road, opp. Hotel Chandrika, Bangalore)

A two-year investigation, "Hidden Wars of Desert Storm" reveals the
background to the relationship between Baghdad and Washington as well
as the origins, developments and aftermaths of 1991 Gulf War.
Produced by Gerard Ungerman and Audrey Brohy, this film bases itself
on documents never seen before on television and backed by interviews
of such prominent personalities as Desert Storm Commander, General
Norman Schwarzkopf, former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark, former
UN Iraq Program Director Dennis Halliday, former UNSCOM team-leader
Scott Ritter and many others.

Senior journalist Ammu Joseph (author of Terror, Counter - Terror:
Women Speak Out) and Prof. Bhanu Das (Peoples=ED Democratic Forum) will
lead the discussion following the screening.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------=
--------------------------------
=46or further information contact - 5670 2232, 318 12 691, 98450 66747

_____

#10.

The Times of India
JULY 3, 2003
Editorial

Human Rights Panel is a Toothless Tiger

The National Human Rights Commission is a curious beast which
sometimes leaps into action, often in pursuit of small and
insignificant prey, only to lapse into long periods of unseemly
slumber.

Last year, the NHRC won praise inside the country and internationally
for its timely and forthright intervention in Gujarat. The commission
criticised the Modi government for its complicity in the anti-Muslim
violence and called for the most heinous crimes " Godhra, Best
Bakery, Naroda Patiya and Gulberg Society" to be investigated by the
CBI. As long as Gujarat simmered, the NHRC maintained its interest.
But when it came to shaming the government for its inaction, the
commission got cold feet. To be sure, the NHRC now plans to look into
the Best Bakery acquittals but its expression of interest is too
little, too late.

In large measure, the malaise at the NHRC " its timorousness and
lethargy " is a product of the general rot affecting all Indian
institutions. In addition, the commission is hampered by the
restric-ted nature of its mandate. It can, for example, summon
witnesses but cannot enforce its demands. It can look at crimes
committed by the police but not the army. In the case of high-profile
crimes by the paramilitary forces, the commission ultimately backs
off, as happened over the Bijbehara massacre in Kashmir by the BSF.
The case for amending the Protection of Human Rights Act (PHRA) is a
compelling one, but what law can ensure that the NHRC's members have
an overriding passion for human rights? Like other sinecures for
retired judges and bureaucrats, the NHRC has come to be seen as a
comfortable post- retirement job. Some of its members have even gone
on to become governors. A better mandate, and a better selection
procedure, may yet salvage the NHRC. But in the absence of change,
the commission might as well as pack up its bags and go home.

____

#11.

=46IRAQ GORAKHPURI FESTIVAL IN KARACHI [*]

The noted Pakistani poet Fahmida Riaz (fahmidariaz@hotmail.com) is
organizing a festival on Firaq Gorakhpuri (Raghupat Sahai), one of
greatest Urdu poets of the 20th Century India. The festival will be
held on July 11, 12 and 13 of July 2003, in Karachi. She has extended
open invitation to all interested in Urdu literature and Indo-Pak
friendship.

[ *  Source:  International South Asia Forum Bulletin [15] July 1, 2003
Postal address: Box 272, Westmount Stn., QC, Canada H3Z 2T2 (Tel. 514 346-94=
77)
(e-mail; insaf@insaf.net or visit our website http://www.insaf.net) ]

o o o

[ Message to Fahmida Riaz supporting the ]

Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 01:13:48 +0000

My compliments on this very timely literary initiative launched by you.

The process of celebrating and seeking out our commonalties must be
continuous and concerted so that people- to- people camaraderie
ushers in detente between our two nations. The conspiracy of
"leaders" to keep us apart must be defeated, since we, the people of
the subcontinent, have  had enough of war and violence, militarism
and poverty. The scale and volume of tragedy in human terms, let
alone economic and political, have been colossal. We must halt it.
And, you have heralded this noble undertaking by planning the Firaq
=46estival.

I will close with Faiz:
Ishq ka sirre-nihaan jaantapaa hai jis se/ Aaj iqraar karen aur
tapish mit jaaye
Harfe-haq dil men khataktaa hai jo kaante ki tarah/Aaj izhaar karen
aur khalish mit jaaye.

Let there be many such events on both sides of the border and let us
find out freely and fully who we really are and what we really live
by.

Sincerely,
I.K.Shukla

_____

#12.

[An Article that might of interest  to SACW readers]

o o o

Modern Asian Studies (2003), 37:551-584
[Copyright =A9 2003 Cambridge University Press
ISSN: 0026-749X]

'I Am Not a Refugee': Rethinking Partition Migration

Md. Mahbubar Rahman  (a1) and Willem Van Schendel  (a2)
a1 Department of History, Rajshahi University, Bangladesh
a2 International Institute of Social History/University of Amsterdam,
The Netherlands

Abstract

In the wake of Partition-the break-up of British India in
1947-millions of people moved across the new borders between Pakistan
and India. Although much has been written about these 'Partition
refugees,' a comprehensive picture remains elusive. This paper
advocates a rethinking of the study of cross-border migration in
South Asia. It argues especially for looking at categories of
cross-border migrants that have so far been ignored, and for
employing a more comparative approach. In the first section, we look
at conventions that have shaped the literature on Partition refugees.
The second section explores some patterns of post-Partition migration
to East Pakistan (now Bangladesh), and the third uses oral evidence
from cross-border migrants to present a number of case studies. The
concluding section underlines that these cases demonstrate the need
for re-examining historiographical conventions regarding Partition
migration; it also makes a plea for linking South Asia's partition to
broader debates about partition as a political 'solution' to ethnic
strife.

SACW is an informal, independent & non-profit citizens wire service
run since 1998 by
South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).