SACW | 3 May 03

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sat, 3 May 2003 04:52:50 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire   | 3 May,  2003

ALERT FOR ACTION: In Defence of the Indian Historian Romila Thapar
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/Alerts/IDRT300403.html

---------------

#1. South Asians for Human Rights  calls for better Indo-Pak ties
#2. Indian MPs expected in a month, says peace forum [Pakistan
Chapter of The Pakistan-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy
(PIPFPD)] (Waqar Gillani)
#3. Feeling the Boot Heel of the Patriot Act (Jason Halperin)
#4. Communalising Rajasthan (Kavita Srivastava)
#5. Trishul Tangle Interview with the Rajasthan chief Minister
#6. IFJ "Journalism for Tolerance" prize for South Asia (reports)
#7. Lecture by Harsh Mandar in Chicago (May 11)
#8. Latest issue of INSAF Bulletin May 1, 2003
#9. Call for Papers: 9th International Conference on Sri Lankan Studies
"Sri Lanka at Crossroads: Continuity and Change" (November 2003)
#10. Screening of  "Women in Conflict" (30 min. 2002), a documentary
on the social costs of the conflict in Kashmir (NY city, May 14)

--------------

#1.

The Daily Times
May 03, 2003

SAHR calls for better Indo-Pak ties

Daily Times Monitor
LAHORE: The Indo-Pak confrontation has paralysed SAARC, says the
South Asians for Human Rights (SAHR), a broad alliance of peace and
human rights activists from all countries of the region which calls
for better diplomatic ties between India and Pakistan.
The announcement by Prime Minister Vajpayee on resumption of talks
with Pakistan is encouraging but does not go quite far enough, says
SAHR. It believes that a time-bound process towards achieving
settlement of issues of discord must be accompanied by a fast track
effort towards normalization of relations between the two countries.
The organisation calls for the political will and skills for
initiating and sustaining a meaningful dialogue for peace. The turn
of events makes one wonder if the foreign policies on either side of
the border are being driven by historical prejudices and narrow
political interests of the ruling elites.
SAHR urges India to curb growing forces of Hindutva in the country
and address the human rights situation in Indian Held Kashmir. It
says the State government of Jammu and Kashmir should set up an
Independent Human Rights Commission mandating it to investigate
present and past cases of custodial deaths, extra-judicial killings,
torture and rape carried out by the Indian security forces. Pakistan,
on the other hand, must take measures to curb Jihadi groups. It must
also move towards democracy, it said.
It also called upon the governments of India and Pakistan to realize
that their failure to resolve their differences will provide an
opening to external forces to meddle in the affairs of the region.
They must resume full diplomatic relations, relax visa restrictions
and allow air, bus and train services between the two countries, open
land route between the two countries and allow a free flow of
newspapers and magazines, the organisation added.
SAHR said they need to stop anti-neighbour rhetoric and propaganda
through the official media and textbooks; sign a new agreement for
facilitating the exchange of prisoners; allow the people living on
either side of the Line of Control and their leaders to easily travel
to the other side; implement all existing confidence building
measures (CBMs) without any preconditions or reservations; agree upon
and implement policies which promote religious tolerance and develop
mutual stakes in promoting and sustaining their democratic
institutions.
SAARC must play its due role in ending regional distances and
implement the existing SAARC agreements and protocols, said SAHR,
adding all SAARC countries must have at least direct flights to each
other's capitals, the air, postal and telecommunication tariffs
within the region should be reduced, exchanges among cultural centres
of SAARC countries and cooperation in sports should be encouraged and
supported.

_____

#2.

The Daily Times
May 03, 2003

Indian MPs expected in a month, says peace forum

By Waqar Gillani

LAHORE: The Pakistan-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy
(PIPFPD) has planned the exchange of parliamentarians' delegations
between the two countries to ease tensions.
The announcement came after the forum concluded its Friday meeting
with Patron-in-Chief IA Rehman in the chair. Mr Rehman said the forum
had planned to invite some Indian members of parliament (MPs) to
Pakistan. He said a delegation of Pakistani parliamentarians would
now leave for India a little behind the schedule. He said forum's
representative Dr Mubashar Hassan had left for India to secure better
arrangements for Pakistani parliamentarians' visit. "The exchange of
MPs' delegations is a part of the forum's peace efforts," he added.
He said: "The Indian government is not allowing Indian
parliamentarians to visit Pakistan, but the form expects their visit
in a month."
He said the Pakistani delegation would also visit cities other than
New Delhi. "Meetings have been planned in Calcutta, Jay Pur and other
cities."
He said the forum had decided to launch an awareness campaign so that
the people-to-people contact between the two countries could be
strengthened. The forum had formed youth, cultural and media
committees to highlight the importance of Pak-India peace at every
forum in Pakistan, he said and added: "The forum has arranged a media
seminar, cultural shows besides lectures in school and colleges."
Mr Rehman said the forum warmly welcomed the decision of the two
governments to resume dialogue. He said the meeting endorsed the
South Asia Human Rights Commission's statement that Pakistan and
India should resume bilateral dialogue on all issues as their rivalry
was affecting the efficiency of the South Asia Association for
Regional Cooperation (SAARC) and leaving a bad impact on the
economies of the smaller states.
However, he made it clear that neither the parliamentarians going to
India were forum's representatives nor the government's. "They are
representatives of people and peace. They have their own peace agenda
to discuss with Indians."
He said the meeting underlined the need for bettering relations
between India and Pakistan by addressing the core issue of Kashmir.
He said the forum believed that the MPs' visits would help to bridge
cultural and social gap besides highlighting the centrality of
dialogue.
The forum said that the Pakistani delegation should leave from the
Wahga border. The forum's members and people will see off the
delegation, Mr Rehman added.

_____

#3.

Los Angeles Times
May 2, 2003

Feeling the Boot Heel of the Patriot Act
By Jason Halperin

Several weeks ago, my roommate Asher and I went to an Indian
restaurant just off Times Square in the heart of midtown Manhattan.
We helped ourselves to the buffet and sat down to begin eating.

Suddenly there was a terrible commotion and five police officers in
bulletproof vests stormed down the stairs. They had their guns drawn
and were pointing them indiscriminately at the restaurant staff and
at us.

"Go to the back of the restaurant," they yelled. I hesitated, lost in
my own panic. "Did you not hear me? Go to the back and sit down,"
they demanded. I complied and looked around at the other patrons.
There were eight men including the waiter, all of South Asian descent
and ranging from late teens to senior citizen. One of the officers
pointed his gun in the waiter's face and shouted: "Is there anyone
else in the restaurant?" The waiter, terrified, gestured to the
kitchen.

The police placed their fingers on the triggers of their guns and
kicked open the kitchen doors. Shouts emanated from the kitchen and a
few seconds later five Latino men crawled out on their hands and
knees, guns pointed at them.

After patting us all down, the five officers seated us at two tables.
As they continued to kick open doors to closets and restrooms with
their fingers glued to their triggers, officials in business suits
emerged from the stairwell. Two walked over to our table and
identified themselves as agents of the Immigration and Naturalization
Service and the Homeland Security Department.

Having some limited knowledge of the rights afforded to U.S.
citizens, I asked why we were being held. The INS agent said we would
be released once they confirmed that there were no outstanding
warrants against us and our immigration status was OK.

In pre-9/11 America, the legality of this would have been
questionable. After all, the 4th Amendment states: "The right of the
people to be secure against unreasonable searches and seizures. "

"You have no right to hold us," said Asher. But they explained that
they did: This was a homeland security investigation under the
authority of the Patriot Act.

The Patriot Act was passed into law on Oct. 26, 2001, in order to
facilitate the post-9/11 crackdown on terrorism. Among the
unprecedented rights it grants to the federal government are the
right to wiretap or detain without a warrant. As I quickly
discovered, the right to an attorney has been fudged as well. When I
asked to speak to a lawyer, the INS official told me I did have the
right to a lawyer but I would have to be taken to the station for
security clearance before being granted one. When I asked how long
that would take, he replied with a coy smile: "Maybe a day, maybe a
week, maybe a month."

We insisted that we had every right to leave and were going to do so.
One of the police officers, with his hand on his gun, taunted: "Go
ahead and leave, just go ahead." We remained seated.

Our IDs were taken. I was questioned why my license was from out of
state and asked whether I had "something to hide." The police
continued to hassle the kitchen workers, demanding licenses and dates
of birth. One of the kitchen workers was shaking and kept providing
the day's date - March 20, 2003 - over and over.

As I continued to press for legal counsel, a female officer put her
finger in my face. "We are at war, we are at war and this is for your
safety," she exclaimed. As she walked away from the table, she
continued to repeat it to herself. "We are at war, we are at war; how
can they not understand this?"

I most certainly understand that we are at war, and that we need some
measure of security in times like these. But I also understand that
the freedoms in the Constitution were meant specifically for times
like these.

After an hour and a half, the INS agent returned our licenses. An
officer escorted us out. Before we left, the INS agent apologized.

Among the customers, there were four taxi drivers, two students, one
newspaper salesman. Several said they were U.S. citizens. I doubt
they received apologies. Nor have the hundreds of immigrants being
held without charge. Apparently, this type of treatment is acceptable.

Three days after the incident, I phoned the restaurant. The owner was
nervous, embarrassed and did not want to talk about it. But I managed
to ascertain that the whole thing had been one giant mistake.

A mistake. Loaded guns pointed in faces, people made to crawl, police
officers kicking in doors, taunting, keeping their fingers on the
trigger even after the situation was under control. A mistake.

And, according to the ACLU, a perfectly legal one, thanks to the Patriot Act.

Jason Halperin lives in New York City.

______

#4.

People's Union For Civil Liberties Bulletin (India) April, 2003
http://www.pucl.org/Topics/Religion-communalism/2003/communal-rajasthan.htm

Communalising Rajasthan
-- Trishul Distribution
-- The Attack on MKSS shops: Politics of Coercion
-- Strategising & Mobilising against Communalism and Fascism
-- Intervening in the Media

-- By Kavita Srivastava, PUCL Rajasthan

Trishul Distribution
Though the Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) had been indulging in armed
communal mobilisation in Rajasthan through its Trishul distribution
Programmes since 1998, this gained in pace and stridency since the
Gujarat massacre of last year. While only four thousand Trishuls had
been distributed in Rajasthan in the four years till the Gujarat
happenings, ( 1998-2001) the year that followed saw more than 150
percent increase in Trishul distribution and the figure crossed well
above 10,000. Todate, in the first four months of 2003, more than
5,000 trishuls have been distributed in different places in Rajasthan.

The VHP called these Trishul ceremonies symbolic religious exercises
undertaken in order to awaken the Hindus. But the VHP distributed
Trishuls were not at all the iconic harmless Trishuls, which are not
sharp at all, associated traditionally with Shiva temples and
Shaivite orders. The VHP Trishuls were in fact sharp three bladed
daggers meant to cause grave injury and even kill. And there was a
definite correlation between Trishul distribution ceremony in an area
and violent communal conflict therein. These Trishul distribution
ceremonies were invariably accompanied by VHP leaders, led by Pravin
Togadia, delivering inflammatory hate speeches against religious
minorities, which immediately exacerbated communal temperature in the
area concerned.

Alarmed at this heightened armed communal mobilisation, the civil
society groups led by the People's Union for Civil Liberties had been
pressurising the state government through petitions, press statements
and public protests to bring the VHP Trishul under the purview of the
Arms Act and prosecute VHP leaders like Togadia for their communal
hate speeches in the Trishul distribution ceremonies and otherwise.
The state government finally acted in early April this year and
brought the VHP Trishul under the purview of the Arms Act on April
8th. The VHP in a bid to capitalise on this action of the State
declared a "trishul diksha" by Togadia on the 13th of April. Two days
before the event the police confiscated 650 trishuls from the office
of the VHP. The VHP reacted and tried to create tension in the city.
One day before Togadia's arrival members of women's organisations and
the PUCL carried out a public contact programme around the message "
trishul nahin talwar nahin chahiye , roti, paani, rozgar chahiye".
They also distributed flowers to people as a response to the trishuls.

When Togadia openly violated the Arms Act and prohibitory orders by
holding a Trishul distribution ceremony, he was arrested in Ajmer on
April 13. He remained in jail for more than a week before being
released on bail. All attempts by the VHP and the Bhartiya Janata
Party to whip up a communal frenzy in the state in the wake of
Togadia's arrest did not evoke much public response and not even
their bandh call gathered any significant public support.

The Attack on MKSS shops: Politics of Coercion
An incident during the VHP-BJP sponsored Rajasthan bandh call in the
wake of Togadia's attack exposed the coercive and fascist nature of
saffron politics. Ajmer district is a stronghold of the RSS-VHP-BJP
politics in Rajasthan. Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan, a mass
organisation of peasants and workers that is well known in the
country for its anti corruption and right to information movement, is
also active in certain rural parts of this district and the adjoining
Rajsamand, Pali and Bhilwara districts. The MKSS also runs five
provisions shops for the rural poor in their area of operation. The
organisation defied the VHP-BJP bandh call in the wake of Togadia's
arrest and kept its shops open.

Angry at this defiance, the VHP thugs tried to force the MKSS workers
to close down their shop at Jawaja in Ajmer district. When the MKSS
workers refused, the local police also pleaded with them to close
their shop in the interest of peace. The MKSS still refused and when
the VHP-BJP workers tried to apply force, the organisation informed
the higher authorities in the administration. As the VHP-BJP workers
were foiled in their attempt, they attacked the MKSS shop at nearby
Surajpura in frustration and looted it. On a First Information Report
filed by the MKSS, the police arrested 25 people in the case.

This even further angered the VHP-BJP combine and they kept a Jawaja
bandh for three days to get their people released. Their tactic did
not succeed though. The 25 people arrested under charges of breaching
prohibitory orders were released by the administration in due course
after giving an undertaking of good behaviour and the five among them
who were named accused in the MKSS FIR were rearrested. They were
only released after a court bail order. The MKSS decision to keep
their shops open during the bandh made a significant political
statement in itself and also ultimately provided an opportunity for
exposing the true nature of RSS-VHP-BJP politics.

A few works earlier Kaluram Sankla, self styled president of the Shiv
Sena Commando force had come and held a "dharma sabha" in Bhim, the
headquarters of the MKSS area, in February 2003. The purpose of the
sabha was actually to publicly distribute swords and Pharsas (an axe
like weapon) accompanied by hate speeches. When the MKSS filed FIRS
against him, and demanded strong action, the government booked him
first under section 153 A and then later under NSA. The day of the
post Togadia bandh in Bhim was like anyother normal day. Bhim now
minds how it treats public spaces and fears the consequences of
participating in the Sangh Parivar's aggressive and unlawful tactics.
Though like most small towns it is still a BJP base and vote bank

Strategising & Mobilising against Communalism and Fascism
After Gujarat and the stepped up saffron activities in Rajasthan, the
people's movements and civil society groups in the state have become
acutely aware of the need to seriously mobilise and strategise
against communal and fascist politics. This being an election year in
Rajasthan adds to the urgency of the situation. There is full
realisation among progressive circles that one Togadia's arrest or
such other isolated legal actions are not sufficient to stall the
communal or fascist forces in their track. Various people's
organisations and civil society groups in Rajasthan have embarked on
a series of mass contact programmes, workshops for activists and
strategy meetings.

Women's Day Celebrations this year, in most parts of the State had
the theme Right to Work, Communal Harmony and Equal Citizenship. When
the Desh Bachao-Desh Banao yatra initiated by the National Alliance
of People's Movements ( NAPM ) passed through Rajasthan Over a perod
of three days more than seven big public meetings were held between
Udaipur and Jaipur Against Communalism Against Globalisation.

The Mazdoor Kisan Shakti Sangathan has fanned out in the villages in
its area of operation in four central Rajasthan districts with
cultural teams putting up plays focusing on the themes of communal
harmony and secularism and issues of food, livelihood, employment and
governance to counter the saffron politics. This mass contact
programme of the MKSS will continue till its annual May Day
celebration at Bhim in Rajsamand district.

The Akal Sangharsh Samiti is a coalition of some 80 organisations in
Rajasthan agitating for the Right to Food and the Right to Work for
the past four years of severe drought in Rajasthan. Realising that
communal politics diverts attention from the real issues of the
people, various other organisations of the Akal Sangharsh Samiti,
apart from the MKSS, have taken the issue of communalism upfront and
have been holding various programmes, camps and workshop in their
area.

The People's Union for Civil Liberties is now trying to develop a
multi pronged strategy to combat communalsim and fascism in
conjunction with other Rajasthan based organisations and also
organisations based outside the state that are active on the issue of
secularism and defence of democracy like Anhad and Hamwatan.

Intervening in the Media
As the two leading mainstream newspapers in the State, the Rajasthan
Patrika and the Dainik Bhaskar are turning more and more communal in
news coverage and expression of views and giving less and less
coverage to people's issues, some media persons in Rajasthan have
started a feature service to give voice to people's issues and
concerns of a secular and democratic polity. This is called Vividha
Feature Service and caters to more than 60 newspapers in fifteen
districts of the State. Unlike mainstream newspapers, small
newspapers do not have access to internet and feature writers
therefore publish what they obtain from Vividha Features. In this way
an alternative viewpoint is also reaching the public which helps in
sustaining a space for an enlightened discourse. This goes a long way
in countering the atmosphere of hate and devious discourse set by the
RSS propagandist.

Vividha Features now plans to start graduating into a Syndicate in
order to have a better impact.

_____

#5.

The Times of India
INTERVIEW
Trishul Tangle
[ FRIDAY, MAY 02, 2003 12:01:30 AM ]

Jaipur: Low-profile and soft-spoken, Rajasthan chief minister Ashok
Gehlot took everyone by surprise earlier this month when he decided
to clamp down on Pravin Togadia of the VHP. The firebrand Hindutva
leader was arrested for distributing trishuls and making inflammatory
speeches. In a conversation with Neelabh Mishra, the chief minister
defends his government's action:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com:80/cms.dll/html/uncomp/articleshow?msid=45083119

______

#6.

The Hindustan Times
May 3, 2003

'Journalism for Tolerance' award

Indian Express journalist Muzamil Jaleel was on Friday awarded the
International Federation of Journalists' "Journalism for Tolerance"
prize for South Asia.

Former Indian Express special correspondent Sukhmani Singh and former
journalist of 'Dainik Lokmat' (Hindi), Manimala were also presented
certificates of honour for their outstanding contribution to
journalism during 2002.

The award is given for promoting tolerance, combating racism and
discrimination and contributing to understanding of cultural,
religious and ethnic differences.

Releasing a book titled "South Asia Freedom Report" at the function,
former Chief Justice of India Justice J.S. Verma said, "The role of
the media is to bring the opinion of the society. Media can bring
every citizen to play a participatory role in the functioning of the
government." PTI, New Delhi

o o o

newindianexpress
Express Srinagar bureau chief wins IFJ award

NEW DELHI: For the first time in South East Asia, the International
Federation of Journalists awarded the IFJ Journalism Award for
Tolerance Prize in South Asia to The Indian Express's Srinagar Bureau
chief Muzamil Jaleel.
The occasion also marked the release of the first South Asia Press
Freedom Report by former Chief Justice of India J S Verma, followed
by a discussion on `Tolerance and Press Freedom: Are they peacetime
luxuries?'.
With 79 entries from India, Pakistan, Nepal, Sri Lanka and
Bangladesh, Jaleel's March 2000 entry "In search of Kashmiriyat' was
selected from the three finalists which included Sukhmani Singh's
Indian Express article and Vijay Mala's story in Dainik Lokmat.
Jaleel said: "This award has come at a crucial time in Kashmir. Being
a journalist and a Muslim, identity is a major issue. There is
pressure from both the government and militant outfits in the Valley
to toe the line." Anand Sahay, member of the jury, said: "Jaleel's
piece is a sophisticated yet sensitive display of human values and
Kashmiri society." Frontline editor N Ram, MP and former journalist
Kuldip Nayyar, Jansatta former editor Prabhash Joshi and Panchjanya
editor Tarun Vijay took part in the debate that followed.
Discussing the freedom report which listed atrocities against
journalists in South East Asia, Joshi said: "There is no peacetime
for journalists. A free independent press is always a threat for
those in power."
Raising the media's social responsibility, Nayyar said: "A change in
the Press Council like that introduced in Australia is necessary."
"The press is going through a crisis of credibility," added Tarun
Vijay, lobbying for the language press and the need for mediapersons
to respect the concept of unity in diversity.
It was journalist Iftikhar Geelani who brought the forum back to the
larger picture, with his display of the inaccurate reports that he
said, "were the cause for me being beaten constantly in Tihar Jail".
Geelani, who had been arrested under the Official Secrets Act and
kept in police custody for seven months, guided the discussion back
to the responsibility and power of the media.
With entries open for photo-essays and the electronic media as well,
the Euros 1,500 award is for original reportage. In collaboration
with the European Commission, the assessing criteria has been set
with the goals of promoting tolerance and combating racism and
discrimination.

o o o

[Related material below which provides more details]

Media release	3 April 2003

IFJ Journalism for Tolerance Prize:
Announcement of finalists in South Asia

The IFJ today announced the three finalists for the IFJ Journalism
for Tolerance Prize in South Asia.

The finalists have been chosen from about 80 entries submitted to the
Prize in South Asia and were judged by a well respected Jury from
around the region. The South Asia Jury members are:

*	Rosanne Therese Koelmeyer Anderson (Sri Lanka): Associate
Editor, the Sunday Observer.
*	Ajit Bhattacharjea (India): Director, Press Institute of
India, New Delhi.
*	N. Ram (India): Editor, Frontline.
*	Rama Krishna Regmee (Nepal): Head, Department of Mass
Communication and Journalism, Kantipur City College, Kathmandu.
*	IA Rehman (Pakistan): Director, Human Rights Commission of
Pakistan, former editor of the Pakistan Observer, View Point.
*	Anand K. Sahay (India): Senior Leader Writer and columnist,
Hindustan Times, New Delhi.
*	Ajith Samaranayake (Sri Lanka): Editor-in-Chief of Lake House
English publications.

The finalists are:

*	Muzamil Jaleel (India), "Setting out in Search of
Kashmiriyat" Indian Express, March 24 2002
*	Sukhmani Singh (India), "From Saffron to United Colours"
Indian Express, May 26 2002
*	Manimala (India), "Vajpayeji, You Must Resign" (Hindi) Dainik
Lokmat, May 15, 2002

The Jury also commended the following entry:

W.T.J.S.Kaviratne (Sri Lanka), "A Durable 'Bridge' Between North and
South" Daily News, August 10, 2002.
The jury was unable to offer the Prize to anyone in the broadcast
category, but commended the following entry:

Srilal Sah (Nepal), "Dalits of Kaski are deprived of consumption of
forest produce" broadcast on July 2 2002 on Ankhi Jhayal.  [...].

_____

#7.

LECTURE

The Coalition for Secular Democratic India cordially invites you to a
dinner meeting with Shri Harsh Mander, Country Director of Action Aid
in India, an international organization for Development.

Mr. Mander is a strong voice for social justice, pluralism, religious
tolerance and communal harmony in a world of cultural diversity.  A
man of conscience and moral convictions, he also demonstrated
commendable courage, professional integrity and leadership when he
resigned his senior position in the Indian Administrative Service on
a matter of principle.  He is a respected activist, a well-known
public speaker and a reputed author.

The following for organizations will be participating: Coalition for
Secular Democratic India, Indian Muslim Council, International
Christian Coalition for Human Rights, American Federation of Muslims
from India, New Republic India, Sikh American Heritage Organization,
Federation of Indo-American Christians of North America, Voice of
Asian Minorities and South Asian Group for Action & Reflection.

Sunday, May 11 2003 at 5:30 (Time Schedule: Registration 5:30 to
6:00, Meeting 6:00 pm and Dinner 8:00 pm)
North Shore Banquets, 2519 W. Devon Avenue, Chicago Illinois
Donation: $20 per person ($30 for a couple)

For more information, please call (630)971-9873, (708)466-0244, (773)583-0638

_____

#8.

insaf Bulletin [13]	May 1, 2003
International South Asia Forum
Postal address: Box 272, Westmount Stn., QC, Canada H3Z 2T2 (Tel. 514 346-9477)
(e-mail; insaf@insaf.net or visit our website http://www.insaf.net)

_____

#9.

Call for Papers:
9th International Conference on Sri Lankan Studies ICSLS
"Sri Lanka at Crossroads: Continuity and Change"

Date:     28th to 30th November 2003
Location: University of Ruhuna, Matara, Sri Lanka

Sri Lanka has been going through major changes and upheavals during the
last several decades. Some of these include an ongoing ethnic war (since
1972) which is now under ceasefire, two armed revolts in the South and
major change in demography, social differentiation and the economy.
Furthermore Sri Lanka is subject to gross changes in the socio-economic
environment because of intensified globalization. These have
repercussions in the socio-economic, political and cultural spheres.

The 9th International Conference on Sri Lankan Studies ICSLS Conference
will explore this broad juncture in Sri Lankan society. It will be held
from 28th to 30th November 2003 at the University of Ruhuna, Matara.
This is the 25th Anniversary of the founding of Ruhuna University and
the 9th ICSLS Conference will constitute part of the 25th Anniversary
celebrations. Matara is one of the best tourist/historical locations in
Sri Lanka.

The conference aims to provide a forum for taking stock, rethinking and
making plans in the light of past experience. Papers are requested from
a wide variety of disciplinary perspectives (for example in Economics,
Sociology, Anthropology, Geography, Political Science, Education,
Demography, History, Language and Literature Studies) that will have
either direct or indirect bearing on these changes. Proposals for
specialized panels on particular topics will also be welcome. The
conference language will be English. All accepted abstracts will be
published.

Guidelines for Abstracts:

* Abstracts should not exceed 300 words.
* They should be based on empirical/theoretical work of the author/s
which have not been published previously.
* Abstracts should be sent along with a brief profile/s of the Author/s.
Authors are requested to send their abstracts by mail or e-mail
* Authors submitting abstracts by mail should send one hard copy and one
formatted copy on diskette.

The deadline for submitting abstracts is 15th June 2003.  For sending
abstracts and all inquiries please contact

Prof. Sarath Amarasinghe,
Coordinator of the 9th ICSLS
by e-mail: sarath@soci.ruh.ac.lk
            sarathamarasinghe@hotmail.com
post :  Dept. of Sociology,
         University of Ruhuna,
         Matara, Sri Lanka

Notification of Acceptance:

The acceptance of abstracts will be notified by 31st July 2003.

Registration:

Registration for the conference is mandatory for all presenters and
participants. The deadline for registration is 15th September 2003.
Deadline for submitting the full research paper is 31st October 2003.

Registration Fee:

Registration fee is US $ 100 equivalent (for participants not from SAARC
region) and for participants from SAARC region SLRs. 1,500 (1 US $= SLRs.
95)

Presentation:

The selected papers will be presented either in consecutive or parallel
sessions depending on the number of papers available on specific themes.
Each presenter will be given 30 minutes - 20 minutes presentation, 10
minutes discussion.

Accommodation:

Accommodation for participants can be arranged at guesthouses and hotels
in the vicinity (rates between $10 - Rs 1,000 - and $100 - Rs. 10,000 - a
night). The University can undertake to arrange accommodation in these
venues. The organizers will provide lunch and refreshments during the
conference as well as transport to and from hotels/guest houses.

______

#10.

Asia Series on Religious Violence:
Co-sponsor: The Center for Religious Inquiry at St. Bartholomew's Church

Screening of  "Women in Conflict" (30 min. 2002), a documentary on
the social costs of the conflict in Kashmir, and the potential for
women's leadership in resolving conflict in South Asia. Followed by
discussion with film director, Radhika Kaul Batra.
Asia Society, 725 Park Avenue, New York City
Cost: 	$5 students w/ID; $7 me
Location:
Asia Society, 725 Park Avenue, New York City

South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).