SACW | 28 April 03

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:49:20 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire  |  28 April,  2003

#1. Indian - Pakistan: War games of the mind (Kamila Hyat)
#2. 1947 Partition and Railways... : Walking down a sacred track
(Majid Sheikh)
#3. Rise of political Islam in Iraq? (Iftikhar H. Malik)
#4. SARS, Wars and the Farce	 (Satya Sagar)
#5. India: Quarantine The Hindu Fascists (I.K.Shukla)
#6. India: Muting history (Amulya Ganguli)
#7. India: Picked Up (Editorial, The Telegraph)
#8. India: Will Hitler be the hero for tomorrow's children? (Pranava
K Chaudhary)

--------------

#1.

The News on Sunday (Paksitan)
April 27 2003

War games of the mind

The realities linking Indians and Pakistanis together in a
relationship moulded by a common historical heritage and culture make
for a complex psyche. They encompass both a longing for better ties
and a deep hatred for each other that is hard for outsiders to
understand

By Kamila Hyat

The easy mingling between students from India and Pakistan at a lunch
hosted by a campus peace organisation at a university in Canada a few
weeks before US hostilities in Iraq got underway inevitably drew
surprised comment from others present at the occasion. Many found it
hard to believe that, given the tension between the two nations and
the recent history of an almost hysterical exchange of hostile words
between the leaders of the two countries, young people from India and
Pakistan could evidently get on so well together.

Similar comment has come on other occasions bringing Indians and
Pakistanis together over the past many years be it a sporting
competition or the rare literary conference participated in by
delegates from both the nations. This is not to deny that even as
they share boxes of the sugar-laden sweetmeats unique to the
subcontinent or begin efforts to track down the nearest restaurant
offering 'desi' cuisine, Indians and Pakistanis will almost as
inevitably lock in exchanges of hostile political sentiments. Indeed,
this tacit agreement to disagree often appears an almost integral
part of the relationships forged between the South Asian neighbours,
in the Middle East, in London's Southall, in Toronto or in other
parts of the world where they are thrown together by fate.

Sadly, the opportunities to mingle are not available closer to home,
with tough travel restrictions now in place holding back what limited
interaction existed in the past. Even as in recent months, the tone
of the accusations made from both sides of the long border dividing
Pakistan and India has hardened, the willingness of ordinary Indians
and Pakistanis, once in a 'third party' setting, to exchange small
talk, views on politics and reminisces of their homeland has not
changed. In a curious way, even the 'hot and cold' strategies
apparently pursued by the leaders of both countries seem somehow to
be a part of this curious relationship.

The most recent proposals calling for talks heard from New Delhi and
welcomed in Islamabad mean that once again, tension between the two
nations that appeared to be spiralling out of control has been
dampened by a timely pail of cool water thrown over the smouldering
embers. It would also appear that with visits to the subcontinent
scheduled by several US officials over the past few months, the
fire-fighting instructions have been issued in no uncertain tones
from Washington.

At the same time, the realisation by the leaders of both countries
that in the final analysis war can have no benefit, and that in fact
it opens up hugely ominous dangers given the presence of nuclear
weapons in both nations, is also quite evidently a factor in the
latest efforts to bring matters under control once more. This does
not however mean that the flames will not be kindled once again. The
ebb and tide in the state of Indo-Pak relations over the last two
years indicates there is no reason to believe that the recent efforts
made by leaders to move once more towards diplomacy will last.
Indeed, what may eventually determine the kind of ties India and
Pakistan establish over the next few decades is the psyche of
ordinary people living within both countries.

In the longer run, this may prove to be of far greater significance
than the psyches of the men or women who emerge as the leaders of the
two nations, each of which today face their own political pitfalls.
Initial assessments, based on a survey of the press from both
countries and the results of polls conducted within them, would
indicate that people, particularly the young ones, in both the
countries are increasingly hostile to each other. A survey, carried
out by a local television channel of schoolchildren in Karachi seemed
to show that most of them between the ages of 10 and 15 held deeply
antagonistic feelings for India, declaring that they would never
visit the country. They however admitted openly that they 'sometimes'
enjoyed Hindi films or music videos featuring Indian artistes.

Similarly, the increasingly aggressive attitude taken even by usually
more moderate elements within the Indian press towards Pakistan and
its sometimes extremely poorly informed criticism of the country, its
government's policies and of 'Islamic extremism', appear to echo
sentiments against India expressed by at least some editorial writers
in Pakistan. But, it is also obvious that such perceptions lie only
on the surface. Even a few layers below exists a convoluted maze of
far more complex thoughts, identifications and opinions. These act to
both show how firmly Indians and Pakistanis are bound together by the
forces of a shared history spread over centuries, and how even
despite their most determined efforts, they find they cannot escape
these chains. This factor may also in part explain the 'love-hate'
element in this relationship, forced upon the generations of today by
a past that is unalterable, despite the clumsy attempts made by
text-book writers in both nations.

An extremely informative insight into the nature of this relationship
is provided by the many sites on the Internet that bring Indians and
Pakistanis together, on message boards, in chat-rooms and through
exchanges of more literary writing. The best among these, such as
www.chowk.com on which a number of well-established Asian authors
writing in English began their careers, provides a quite fascinating
window into the souls of today=EDs young Indians and Pakistanis. The
easy exchange of ideas, the maturity of the debate that exhibits an
ability to rationalise well beyond what politicians in either India
or Pakistan appear to be capable of and the thoughts often expressed
in poetry or fictional prose, throw up the many questions of
identity, of belonging and of a shared heritage that still haunt many
in the sub-continent.

Other sites may not be able to exhibit quite the same literary
talent. But the views expressed are still hugely revealing. The
rather inappropriately named www.urdunewsnetwork.com features
messages written in astonishingly bad Urdu or Hindi, or in some cases
the curious cross between Hindi and English that seems to be gaining
dominance as the lingua franca of choice among at least some circles
in the sub-continent.

The messages on the board are at times no more than crude attacks on
the basis of religion, nationality or belief worded in the kind of
language most in the subcontinent are all too familiar with.
Accusations against Pakistan of terrorism, against Indian Muslims of
being subservient to Hindus, various conspiracy theories and so on,
punctuated with words that would not have been permitted in most
parliaments, abound.

But some of the messages, the writers protected by the comforting
anonymity the Internet provides, express interesting notions. One,
from a person who identifies himself as Javaid Rahat from Karachi,
writes: "Every one love to their homeland, we love our home land
Pakistan as well as we love our historic homeland India where we have
been ruled for 1000 years, why don=EDt we work for re-establish great
hindustan. We're being lived together for 10/12 centuries then why
not now? agr muslim rule mein alag culture alag zaban alag religion
ki baat nahi kii jati thi to aaj kiyon? Infact hum eik hi bhasha
boltey hain jisse eik taraf hindi aur dosri taraf urdu ka naam
dekar.... India is our homeland, we assure to all communities
especially Hindu community, we will appreciate their all rights as
well as we did in past in our 1000 years rule in india. so please
come with us and work for a united India, as iqbal says, sub se acha
hindustan hamara." [Errors uncorrected]

Others, on this and other forums, stating they are from various
cities in Pakistan, seem surprisingly to support the views put
forward. The Internet is apparently for them a means to express ideas
that are virtually taboo at academic or social settings as well as
within the media. Of course, many others in the country are obviously
angered by such views, and speak out fiercely against them on the
same forums.

=46rom the Indian side too, the ideas for peace put forward are often
radical. A surprising number advocate the setting up of a
confederation of semi-autonomous states in the region. Others though
simply echo the views of the hard-line Indian establishment, some
express a huge desire to visit Pakistan or cities described to them
by family elders who have happy memories of times before Partition.
Other website messages focus on the exchange of ideas on
non-political issues, with Bollywood films dominating.

Perhaps inspired by the story line of many such films, an astonishing
number of chat-rooms also seem to bring Pakistani and Indian
teenagers together in pseudo-romantic, net-based relations. The most
passionate among these youngsters speak of making their way across
the border to be united with their loved ones. Almost no one, judging
by the message boards, seems to follow up on these extravagant
promises. While at times amusing, often irrational and sometimes
refreshingly irreverent, the messages from the faceless people on the
Internet highlight in a sense how limited the opportunities for such
exchanges are in 'real', non-cyber-based life. They also provide a
revealing look into the minds of young men and women, on both sides
of the divide.

While the leaders of both nations remain lost in the often aimless
maze created by aggressive rhetoric, before making their way back to
the starting spot as they realise that further onward movement is
impossible or too hazardous, ordinary citizens on both sides of the
border seem to have moved well beyond politicians. Sharing bonds of
language, symbol and culture, they seem ready to explore the question
of their identities. The complex matter of what aspects of heritage
they hold in common and what makes them different, separate
nationalities is taken up again and again. Clearly, the issues
involved are complex ones. The opinions put forward inevitably cause
friction. But the willingness of so many people to address these
problems, to talk about them, to debate them, to include them in
their writings and to respond to comments from others shows an
ability among people to venture into territory on which their leaders
are not willing to tread.

The question of when these leaders will follow the example of
ordinary citizens, and show a real desire to understand each other
and respect each other's views, rather than responding only to the
immediate needs of 'real politick', may eventually determine what
kind of relations take shape between India and Pakistan over the
decades that lie ahead.

______

#2.

DAWN (Pakistan), April 27 2003

Walking down a sacred track

By Majid Sheikh

Last week I was in "the zone" -- as athletes like to describe that
special feeling of perfect union of mind and body. Having parked my
car near Sherpao Bridge, I decided to walk along the railway track
from the Lahore Cantonment railway station to the Walton station --
that sacred rail track where thousands of would-be Pakistanis were
received dead in 1947.
I was reading this piece about institutionalized "low intensity
conflict" that the bureaucracies of India and Pakistan, through
mutual 'silent' understanding, nature. It makes them rich and the
people poor, in perpetuity. Dr Mubashir Hasan did a great service by
stating the "unstated".
Silence is sin in every book that I know of. How could such a
magnificent set of people hate each other? With these thoughts I
walked along wondering at just how much effort had gone into the
building of these tracks, the thousands of railways stations that dot
the sub-continent, and the trains and the locomotives, and the people
who built them.
The railways arrived in the sub-continent in 1850, just one year
after Lahore was taken and the entire track from Calcutta (Kolkata)
to the Afghan border was under British rule. Mind you, the railways
had not been fully laid in most European cities by that time. So it
was a revolutionary step by any reckoning.
By the year 1899, rail tracks had been laid from the south of Madras
to the Afghan border, more than 23,000 miles. It was the biggest and
the costliest construction project undertaken by any colonial power
in any colony anywhere in the world. It was also the largest single
investment of British capital in the whole of the 19th century.
By 1863, some three million tons of rails, sleepers and locomotives
had been shipped to India from Britain in approximately 70 ships a
year non-stop for half a century. Such was their commitment to the
railways of the sub-continent. Engineers had looped tracks over the
steepest mountains in the world, sunk foundations hundreds of feet
into the hot shifting deserts, bridged rivers as wide and as
turbulent as the Ganges and the Indus.
It was an undertaking the world had never seen, and probably might
never see again. Yet today it remains a most unresearched subject,
for we just do not have any railway buffs like they do in Britain and
all over the world. We simply do not treasure what we have. Somehow
it seems to be in the spirit of the times in which we live -- in
constant low intensity conflict, in constant tension.
The railways also brought about an economic and social revolution. As
travel time shrank, the resultant mobility added to the economic
development that such mobility brings. Mobility brought with it the
feeling of the sub-continent being one huge unified mass.
Ironically, a century later, the same railways also made possible the
irreparable division of the sub-continent. The partition of India led
to what was probably the greatest migration in human history. More
than 12 million people exchanged both their homes and their
countries. Twelve million souls tore themselves apart from the land
of their ancestors.
That very act is still a fresh wound; the severing of a bonding
cemented over thousands of years and probably part of our very genes.
The railways managed to transport a major chunk of those moving, and
in the process over one million people lost their lives in the space
of merely 100 days.
Never before, and hopefully never again, will mankind see such
slaughter, and the rail track between Walton and the Lahore
Cantonment railway stations is living testimony of the slaughter that
people are even today scared to talk about. Such has been the impact.
Such is the intensity of hate. Walking on that track brings forth
such thoughts.
It brought forth the question, 'would partition have been possible
without the railway?' Many researchers are of the view that it would
not have been possible, for millions of people had to be shifted over
long distances in a small time space.
My view is that partition would have taken place, only the slaughter
would have been far greater. It was on the railways that much of the
worst violence took place. Lahore station was "the eye of the
whirlwind". The fate of Lahore remained uncertain until the final
maps of the boundaries between the two nations were released.
In the event the city went to Pakistan, just 15 miles from the Indian
border, and the city and its people were instantly torn apart.
Thousands of Hindus and Sikhs fought their way to the station to flee
to India. At the same time train after train began arriving from the
south carrying hundreds of thousands of Muslims to their new
homeland. The Lahore railway station became a battleground. This is
where the worst slaughter took place.
On the night of Independence the last British officials in Lahore
arrived at the station. They had picked their way through gutted
streets, many of which were still littered with the dead from the
riots. On the platforms they found the railway staff grimly hosing
down pools of blood and carrying away piles of corpses on luggage
trolleys for mass burial. Minutes earlier a last group of desperate
Hindus had been massacred by a Muslim mob as they sat waiting quietly
for the Bombay Express.
The late Khwaja Bilal had the unenviable job of being the Station
Master of Lahore in August, 1947. He is on record as having said: "On
the 14th of August I was on duty. We heard an announcement that
partition had taken place. Soon after that the killing started, the
slaughter began. Despite the presence of British soldiers, hundreds
were being killed on the platforms, on the bridges, in the ticket
halls. There were stabbings, rapes, and arson. It was unstoppable.
"At night I could not sleep because of the screams and moans of the
dying coming from the platform. Every morning hundreds of slaughtered
bodies would be lying everywhere. One morning, I think it was August
30, the Bombay Express came in from Delhi via Bhatinda.
There were around 2,000 people on this train. We found dead bodies in
the lavatories, on the seats, under the seats. We checked the whole
train, but nobody was alive except one person who had hidden in the
engine water tank. We used to receive one hundred trains a day. There
were hundreds of corpses in every one".
When Lord John Lawrence broke the earth on the future site of the
Lahore railway station in February 1859, the silver shovel he used
bore the Latin motto 'tam bello quam pace' - better peace than war.
Little did he know how things would turn out.

______

#3.

DAWN (Pakistan), 27 April 2003

Rise of political Islam in Iraq?
By Dr Iftikhar H. Malik

Seeing multitudes of impassioned, chest beating yet totally orderly
Shia pilgrims converging in Karbala so soon after the demise of
Saddam Hussein's regime have sent shivering messages to different
sections of global populace. While Muslims of various doctrinal and
ethno-national backgrounds may retrieve a greater sense of unity and
pride from the spectacles of elderly and young, men and women defying
heat and dust walking barefooted to celebrate the Chehlum of Imam
Husain's assassination in 680 AD, the Anglo-American alliance finds
itself in a quandary.
It appears as if the floodgates of energy and pent-up feelings have
been suddenly removed to usher a new-found solidarity among those who
have suffered the most heinous bombings, destruction of
infrastructure and a total disappearance of any semblance of civic
authority. Rather than fighting their fellow Sunnis and garlanding
the Arbrams and Challengers, or emptily gazing at a cruel sky, these
masses may represent a new Iraq, a new phase of Political Islam and,
maybe, a more robust rebuke to daisy cutters, cluster bombs and Moabs.
Here is the people's defiance at its best - something that reveals
the inadequacies of the Western intelligence agencies and their
opinionated pundits in once again understanding the dynamics and
tribulations of the world of Islam. No wonder, a totally decimated
Iraq with its looted heritage and broken economy is rising
Phoenix-like, as rightly predicted by Dr. Muhammad Iqbal (1875-1938)
several decades back. Every Karbala - the most traumatising tragedy -
to the great poet-philosopher, was to be the harbinger of a new Islam!
No wonder, this massive outpouring of hope and collectivity coincided
with Iqbal's own 65th death anniversary on the 21st April. But, wait
a minute: are we being carried away by this spontaneity, or is it
really a new chapter in this saga of tragedies all the way from wars,
ethnic cleansings, self-flagellation, Islamophobia, sectarianism,
Chechnyas, Mazar-i-Sharifs, Jenins, Ayodhyas and Gujarats, gnawing
poverty all piled upon an enduring legacy of exploitation,
humiliation and betrayals! Is Iraq waking up to another Hulago-like
post-1258 stampede or is it a typical emotional outburst where
fanaticism comes in handy to opiate a crest-fallen nation? Or, is
this a sustained Islamic fervour, a mere temporary outburst, and just
a sheer balm or there is more to it?
[...]
Neither a theocracy nor the dictatorship will take Islamicists
anywhere, it is only through democracy, peace and guarantees for
pluralism, away from unilateralism and militarism, that Political
Islam with all its anti-colonial, anti-hegemonic, anti-racist and
anti-violence traditions can come to the rescue of have-nots.
If the Muslims of Iraq are unable to establish such a paradigm then
their chest beatings and verbose pronouncements will simply reiterate
the contention that Political Islam may not be dead as a mobiliser
and motivator yet is still far from maturing into a systemic
ideology. Its Huqooul Ibaad (rights and duties to the people) may
offer a greater hope for Iraqi civil society and could transform
itself from a mere ideology of displacement to a fully-fledged
mechanism of replacement.

{ Full Text at: http://www.dawn.com/weekly/encounter/encounter.htm#1  }

______

#4.

ZNet (USA)
April 25, 2003

SARS, Wars and the Farce
by Satya Sagar

The depression hits  me  on a warm and humid Bangkok evening. I am
just through with dinner in the city's crowded Sukhumvit business
district, my head full of the War on Iraq and I spot these people-
with masks on their faces.

A couple of weeks ago anybody with a cloth covering his face in this
city would have been branded a `jihadi' a possible Arab/Muslim/dark
skinned/dark intentioned `terrorist'. The city has been on alert well
before the war on Iraq started to prevent `Arab looking' people from
doing bad things- for eg., looking Arab.

Just around the time of the Anglo-American attack on Iraq,  if  there
were to be an  `Arab' behind a mask in Bangkok - the entire city
would have been evacuated.

Apparently, not anymore. Respectable people wear  masks now in
Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong. In fact mandatory they say
to save yourself from SARS- the flu-like virus that has much of
south-east Asia in deep panic. Tourists are canceling their trips in
droves, schools are closing down, economies plunging, governments in
crisis and the Chinese- oh those `super-contaminating  Chinese'- are
being spurned everywhere.[...]
  { Full Text at:
http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=3D37&ItemID=3D3519 }

_____

#5.

[27 April 2003]

QUARANTINE THE HINDU FASCISTS
I.K.Shukla

The Rajasthan and Madhya Praesh governments deserve thanks and
compliments for implementing the statutory obligations in respect of
law and order. Governments at the center and in the states, after the
HinduTaliban takeover, have been willy-nilly supportive of or
acquiescent in the drift to disaster that Indian polity has been
forced into. Under BJP-NDA, law and order is a major casualty,
misgovernance marking this combine, anarchy its trade mark.

Whether the Congress will quit the path of appeasement of saffro
criminals and thus whet their appetite is for it to decide. But
having decided to write its obituary in saffron it brought massive
destruction to polity and grim death to citizens on a scale that
staggers the imagination. It thus became comrade-in-arms of an
openly, avowedly fascist party. In the process it haemorrhaged India
grievously.

Congress has chosen exile or exclusion from the political arena. To
hasten its end, it joined the Hindutva hordes in disfiguring the
spirit of the Constitution and the egalitarian thrust it had verbally
committed itself to post-47. How else to explain its cowardice and
moral lapse when it failed to rush to Gujarat to save Ehsan Jafri.
Such delinquency and dereliction on its part helped foster the
Hindutva goons in their campaign of savage stomping of the land.

Congress, again, to write itself off, and facilitate the takeover of
India by the BJP-led goon squad, is saddled with a leadership which
lacks vision,ideology, and character. It had Hindutva moles in it.
Consequently, mired in confusion and blinded by miasma, it has been
advocating a diluted saffronazism in order, ostensibly, to attract
"Hindu" votes. Poison in small driblets is no poison? This
disingenousness and lack of scruple on the part of Congress has
plunged the nation in a deadly dark and drenched in grimy blood.

If only it had chosen betimes to confront the saffronazis headlong,
in every sector of national life, India would have been spared the
hell Gujarat turned it into; it would have been spared the shame of
Hindu Nazis lording it over, and dragging it back by centuries.

If Rajasthan and MP have proved anything it is this: don't let
criminals in under any disguise, don't cuddle them, don't strike a
bargain with them, it is never too late to call their bluff, they are
misfits in a democracy and would destroy it, and that fascists should
be isolated , not anointed, they should be cremated not crowned.

If it sounds harsh, consider this: Pictures of outlaws and seditious
hatemongers, who should be in the slammer, are being splashed in the
bania media daily as garlanded figures, are being referred to as
Acharya, free publicity attracting more followers via media
complicity. This is both a sacrilge and stupidity. This is not their
name. These are honorifics, going a dozen a dime, that they have
appropriated and tagged to their names. They were not named by
parents as Acharya Papendra, Acharya Gobar Kishore. They should be
named as they are in their educational or birth certificates.
Usurpation in any form deserves to be scotched, not sacralized. If
their cabals, covens, caves and nests call then Lords of the Cosmos,
let the deluded and the dragooned chant inanities. But "people",
i.e., thenewspapers' readership should not be forced and brainwashed
to call the criminals Acharyas, the idiots scholars, the traitors
patriots.

If Congress wants to respect Indian citizens, let alone winning their
hearts and minds, and if it is persuaded to believe that there is a
bigger India than the state assemblies and the Parliament, it should
show some courage against the fascist thugs to look convincing and
credible as serious and stroing

_____

#6.

The Hindustan Times (India)
Monday, April 28, 2003
Editorial
http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/printedition/280403/detIDE01.shtml

Muting history
Amulya Ganguli

One of Murli Manohar Joshi's kar sevaks in the academic field has
given a laboured explanation as to why he failed to comment on
Gandhi's assassination in his piece on the Mahatma in one of the new
saffron textbooks.

Hari Om, a 'Professor of History' and a member of the Indian Council
of Historical Research (no less!) has said: "I committed a very
serious mistake by not reflecting on the murder of a world leader
such as Gandhi...

"At the same time, I would like to point out that this omission was
not deliberate. My major problem was the time and space constraint.
It was impossible for me to include each and every development in the
limited span available to me as one of the authors of Contemporary
India. Another problem was the font size."

So, 'time and space constraint' and 'font size' (!) can persuade a
'professor' to, say, write about the life of Jesus without mentioning
crucifixion. Or, if that is too alien an example for the saffron
crowd, write about the Ramayan without Sita's 'return' to Mother
Earth. No 'professor' worthy of the title will do so unless he has an
insidious objective in mind.

When Mountbatten was asked about the killer's identity immediately
after Gandhi's assassination, he said, 'a Hindu' even though the
governor-general did not know this for a fact at the time. But he
knew that if he said anything else, it would have set off a fresh
round of communal carnage. It may also be fair to assume that if a
Muslim had really been the assassin, no font size or time and space
constraint would have prevented a writer from the Hindutva camp from
commenting at length on the incident.

The reason for the omission is something else. It is that Nathuram
Godse killed the Mahatma for reasons which reflect the saffron
ideology. Therefore, any mention of these would have displeased the
purported professor's political masters who had entrusted him with
the task of distorting history. The killer, however, was more
forthright. "I might mention here," said Godse in his submission to
the court, "that it was not so much the Gandhian Ahimsa teachings
that were opposed by me and my group but Gandhiji while advocating
his views always showed or evinced a bias for Muslims, prejudicial
and detrimental to the Hindu community and its interests."

Here we have in a nutshell the theory of appeasement of Muslims which
forms the cornerstone of the Hindutva doctrine. "On 13th January
1948," continued Godse, "I learnt that Gandhiji had decided to go on
fast unto death. The reason for such fast (sic) was that he wanted an
assurance for Hindu-Muslim unity in Indian Dominion. But I and many
others could easily see that the real motive behind the fast was not
merely the so-called Hindu-Muslim unity, but to compel the Dominion
Government to pay the sum of Rs 55 crore to Pakistan, the payment
which was emphatically refused by the Government."

So, Gandhi was not only an appeaser of Muslims, but also of Pakistan!
Godse later called him the Father of Pakistan. Little wonder that
Narendra Modi used to tell his listeners in Gujarat that the
Congress's success in the election would be celebrated in Pakistan.
One can see the identity of views between Godse and the Sangh
parivar, an uncomfortable fact which our 'professor' would have found
difficult to hide if he tried to explain Gandhi's assassination.
After all, the Mahatma's death couldn't be just a throw-away line. It
would have needed an elaborate explanation. But that is exactly what
is impossible for a saffron sycophant to provide.

The issues of Vande Mataram and cow-slaughter are two of the many
explanations given by Godse for his act. "It is notorious," said
Godse, "that some Muslims disliked the celebrated song of Vande
Mataram and the Mahatma forthwith stopped its singing or recital
wherever he could... It continued to be sung at all Congress and
other national gatherings but as soon as one Muslim objected to it,
Gandhiji utterly disregarded the national sentiment behind it and
persuaded the Congress also not to insist upon the singing as the
national song. We are now asked to adopt Rabindranath Tagore's Jana
Gana Mana as a substitute of Vande Mataram. Could anything be more
demoralising or pitiful...?"

On cow-slaughter, Godse quoted one of Gandhi's speeches in which the
Mahatma said that "no law prohibiting cow-slaughter in India can be
enacted. (Digvijay Singh, please note) How can I impose my will upon
a person who does not wish voluntarily to abandon cow-slaughter?
India does not belong exclusively to the Hindus. Muslims, Parsees,
Christians all live here. The claim of the Hindus that India has
become the land of the Hindus is totally incorrect. This land belongs
to all who live here".

Clearly, Gandhi had no time for Savarkar's fascistic
pitribhu-punyabhu concept which said that only those who are born in
India and whose holy sites are in India are true Indians. Instead,
the Mahatma articulated the modern ideal of statehood, as enshrined
in the Indian Constitution, in which no distinctions are made between
citizens on the basis of caste or creed. How different the Mahatma's
views are from the Hindu Rashtra of Golwalkar, Savarkar and Godse.

In the days before his death, Gandhi had expressed a desire to go and
live in Pakistan. He wouldn't have gone by train, of course, let
alone fly. He would have walked. Slowly, as during the Salt March
which shook the British empire, the Mahatma would have wended his way
across the dusty plains of north India with his band of followers -
and the international press - in tow.

It is unlikely that the Pakistanis would have stopped him - or
insisted on a visa. They would have looked ridiculous before the
world. But whether the Mahatma did enter Pakistan or not, the Long
March would have served its purpose. Once again, at a time of trauma,
it would have united hearts and minds as nothing else - and put the
fanatics on both sides of the border on the defensive. They wouldn't
have known how to refute this extraordinary affirmation of the unity
of the subcontinent, of the absurd nature of the two-nation theory
(which was to become a three-nation theory only 24 years later).

In his textbook on modern India, historian Sumit Sarkar described the
period before Gandhi's assassination as the Mahatma's finest hour. It
showed his total disdain for the trappings of power and unswerving
loyalty to the cause of communal peace. Had he lived and gone to
Pakistan, who knows what curious turn the history of the subcontinent
would have taken. But perhaps it was the fear of peace which
motivated Godse.

As his 'Father of Pakistan' jibe showed, he had no time for communal
amity. So Gandhi had to die. And the saffron 'historians' of today
have to play dumb when it comes to explaining why.

_____

#7.

The Telegraph (India)
Monday, April 28, 2003
Editorial

PICKED UP

The police in Ahmedabad appear to be almost sublimely inefficient.
All that the murder of as important a leader as the state's former
home minister, Haren Pandya, seems to have done is to catapult them
into a frenzy of midnight arrests. The number of people taken into
custody so far would suggest that the police have made no headway
yet. What is most unfortunate, however, is that this flurry of
activity, at its peak after midnight till the early hours of the
morning, is acquiring the appearance of a targeted campaign against
the minority community. Young men are being picked up from areas
where the dominant population is from the minority community.
Sometimes all the men from a family may be arrested and detained.
Worse, if one young man is missing, the police might pick up his
brother and threaten not to release him unless his sibling
surrenders. It seems as though any event is excuse enough to unleash
mayhem on the minority community. There is no doubt that the first
priority of the police is the discovery of Pandya's murderer. But it
is doubtful whether the force is helping its own cause by spreading
panic and causing fresh insecurity among the minority community.

It may be a mark of the slightly improved sense of security among the
Muslims that women have come out in the streets in vocal protest
against the continuing arrests of their men. Equally, it may be the
sign of desperation. It is inexplicable that the police have detained
so many people for days without bothering to show any results so far.
A murder investigation that turns into targeted harassment is in
itself bad enough, what augurs really ill is the way the use of the
Prevention of Terrorism Act is being perceived by the minority
community. The protesting women have repeatedly asked why POTA was
being used against their men while those guilty in the anti-minority
carnage last year were not being held under it. If all that the
police are afflicted with is inefficiency, they should ensure that
their bumbling does not create a situation for another communal
conflagration in Gujarat. But it is a pity that Gujarat's recent
history would leave most observers sceptical about the police's
innocence in the matter of the arrests. It would be tempting to
discover the lineaments of a pattern that uses Pandya's murder as an
occasion to distress and distance Gujarat's Muslims further. At the
moment, perhaps, there is no need to go to that extent. But it is
high time that restraint and accountability were displayed by the
police, because alienating the minority community will hinder, not
help, the investigation into Pandya's murder.

______

#8.

The Times of India
APRIL 27, 2003

Will Hitler be the hero for tomorrow's children?
PRANAVA K CHAUDHARY

PATNA: Dwelling on Swami Vivekanand's speech at the Parliament of
Religions at Chicago, the new NCERT book "Contemporary India" (class
IX) says: "(Swamiji) established the superiority of Indian thought
and culture over the Western mind."

"Do we want our students to be brought up on this type of chauvinist
and utterly baseless statement?" asks historian Bipan Chandra.

He clarified that although Swamiji did make an impact at Chicago,
this played an important role in creating self-respect among Indians
and not on the intellectual developments in the rest of the world.The
book, according to Chandra, is a combination of ignorance and
prejudice. "It is not based on research of the last 50 years," he
says. "It is essentially based on older, pre-1950 textbooks or even
made-easies."

On Nazism the book says: "The ideology of the Nazi party was a sort
of fusion of German nationalism and socialism." This, according to
Chandra, is to accept the self-perception of the Nazis.

Chandra points out that the book does not refer to anti-Semitism or
the killing of over seven million Jews, nor is the Nazi view that all
Africans and Asians, including Indians, were an inferior race brought
out. The Italian Fascists' view is similarly accepted, he said.

Chandra says that the treatment of the 19th century Indian
renaissance is "utterly onesided"; the role of Lokhitvadi and other
Maharashtrian reformers, the reformers in south India, and Young
Bengal is missing.

Instead, there is onesided emphasis on Bankimchandra Chatterji and
Swami Dayanand, both of whom were important but represented only one
aspect of the reform movements.

"The worst feature of the textbook is the clear effort to introduce a
communal bias in the teaching of history in various ways. The primary
effort is to teach that communalism was born and existed in India
only in the form of Muslim communalism," he says.According to him,
the Hindu Mahasabha or the RSS find no mention; nor their efforts to
arouse communal feelings among Hindus.

The partition is declared to be the result of Muslim communalism but
the responsibility of Hindu communalism as well, as was brought out
by Gandhiji and others and by later scholars, is not mentioned.

"Jinnah's critique of Gandhiji as anti-Muslim is brought out but not
Savarkar's and Golwalkar's critique of Gandhiji as anti-Hindu in the
same language and manner.

South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex).