[sacw] SACW | 4 Jan. 03

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 15:45:15 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | 4 January 2003

CRIME AGAINST HUMANITY -- GUJARAT 2002: A report on the=20
investigations, findings and recommendations of the Concerned=20
Citizens' Tribunal
on http://www.sabrang.com.

FOREIGN EXCHANGE OF HATE- IDRF and the American Funding of Hindutva
A report on the US-based organization -- the India Development and=20
Relief Fund (IDRF), which has systematically funded Hindutva=20
operations in India.
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/2002/FEH/

__________________________

#1. Call for Papers Journal for Peace and Democracy in South Asia
#2. Basant Utsav 2003 - A Festival of Spring, Colours, Music, and Festivity
(6-9 February 2003, New Delhi)
#3. Hinduism in danger? (Andre Beteille)
#4. Publication announcement: Hindutva : An autopsy of fascism as=20
theoterrorist cult
and other essays By IK Shukla
#5. Food Insecurity Atlas of Urban India by the M.S. Swaminathan=20
Research Foundation and the World Food Programme

__________________________

#1.

Call for Papers for Inaugural June 2003 Issue of Journal for Peace=20
and Democracy in South Asia
http://www.jpdsa.org
ISSN: 1651-6354

The Journal of Peace and Democracy in South Asia (JPDSA) is an=20
independent international multidisciplinary peer-reviewed journal of=20
peace and democracy in the region comprised by Bangladesh, Bhutan,=20
India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. Articles across the=20
range of scholarly disciplines and from different intellectual=20
perspectives are invited for publication consideration. Peace and=20
democracy are regarded as interdependent and mutually reinforcing=20
processes with domestic, regional and international implications.
The deadline for submissions is 31 March 2003.

Submissions may take the form of original articles from across the=20
range of scholarly disciplines including, but not limited to,=20
anthropology, economics, history, public administration, political=20
science, religion and sociology, editorials on topics of vital=20
current interest, book reviews of individual books and thematic book=20
reviews for multiple titles, research notes on research in progress,=20
and letters to the editor.

Original articles should be between 3,000-4,500 words. Editorials=20
should range between 1,500-2,000 words. Book reviews of individual=20
titles should not exceed 1,500 words, while thematic book reviews may=20
be as many as 4,500 words. Research notes and letters to the editor=20
should not exceed 1,000 words.

Peer review
Original articles are reviewed by as many as three experts. The=20
Journal employs a 'double blind' peer review system in which the=20
identities of the prospective authors and reviewers are not disclosed=20
to the counterparts. Decisions to publish are taken by the Editorial=20
Board taking into account the reports of reviewers.

Manuscript preparation
The title page should specify the name, title, affiliation, postal=20
and email addresses of the corresponding author; and the names,=20
titles, and institutional affiliations of any other authors. All=20
manuscripts should be double-spaced with generous margins and=20
prepared in accordance with the Harvard Reference System.

Covering letter
All submissions must be accompanied by a covering letter affirming=20
exclusivity and authorship. The author(s) affirm(s) that the work is=20
original, has not been published previously, has not been submitted=20
elsewhere for publication and that all persons who properly should be=20
designated as authors are identified.

Copy editing
All manuscripts are copy-edited prior to publication. The journal=20
employs three basic references for copy-editing in accordance with=20
house style: The Concise Oxford Dictionary, The Oxford Dictionary for=20
Writers and Editors ISBN 0-19-866239-4 and The Oxford Guide to Style=20
(Hart's Rules for the 21st Century) ISBN 0-19-869175-0.

Electronic submission
Submissions of manuscripts by email attachment is required. The files=20
should be saved in either ordinary .doc or.rtf (rich text file)=20
format. Do not compress or encode the file. Please specify the word=20
processing software used to originate your file. All submissions=20
should be sent to managing_editor@j...

Other arrangements
Authors who have absolutely no possibility of electronic submission=20
should contact the Managing Editor at JPDSA c/o D. Odom,=20
Signalhornsg. 98, SE-65634 Karlstad, Sweden, Tel. +46.54.830368, so=20
that other arrangements can be made.

=A9 2003 Association for the Global Dissemination of Academic Research

_____

#2.

Basant Utsav 2003
A Festival of Spring, Colours, Music, and Festivity
6-9 February 2003, New Delhi

Dear friends

The end of a chilly winter. The beginning of spring. And a festival=20
called Basant celebrating the fragrance of flowers and the explosion=20
of colours. As we venture out of the city, a lush carpet of yellow=20
mustard flowers spreads for miles through the verdant Indian=20
farmland. There is singing and dancing, laughter and joy, welcoming=20
this beautiful season. A joy which courses through every vein. A=20
laughter which does not know differences of religion, caste or creed.
It should not come as a great surprise to anyone that a large number=20
of North Indian Muslims also celebrate Basant Panchami, like their=20
Hindu brethren. A tradition initiated eight hundred years ago by the=20
famous poet Amir Khusrau. A celebration kept alive uninterrupted,=20
unmarred by the vagaries of time.

Buoyed by the success of Basant Utsav 2002, we seek to continue the=20
celebration on a grander scale beginning February 6, 2003. From a=20
one day programme limited to one venue the Utsav proposes to be a=20
Four Day Long Event spread across the twin repositories of Delhi's=20
culture - Nizamuddin and Mehrauli.

We intend to mobilize and create awareness among people, not only=20
about these great poets but also their message of hope in=20
togetherness. Heritage Walks, Painting Competition for the=20
differently abled, Film Shows, Exhibition, Quawwali and Mushaira have=20
been planned to mark this event and to give back this Utsav its old=20
world charm and glory. We also intend to bring out a souvenir on this=20
occasion.

We intend to achieve it through a sustained publicity campaign=20
involving all media which shall culminate with the Basant Utsav=20
beginning Thursday, February 6, 2003.

We are not only looking orward to your participation in the festival,=20
but also help us find some sponsors for the various activities=20
planned. Kindly see the details below and send in your feedback.

Thanking You,

Yousuf Saeed, Vagish Jha, Ajai Chawla, and other friends
For Communicators Cooperative

Some details about our last year's Basant fest can be found on the=20
folowing sites:
<http://www.cc-india.org/basant.html>http://www.cc-india.org/basant.html
<http://www.alif-india.com>http://www.alif-india.com
-------

Basant Utsav
A Celebration of the unique cultural legacy of Sufi Basant

Unique is the festival of Basant. Celebrating the fragrant and=20
colourful charms of spring, the Hindu festival of Basant Panchami,=20
also marks the invocation of the Goddess of Learning and Knowledge,=20
Saraswati. Inspired and enlivened by the local tradition Amir Khusru=20
wrapped himself in a yellow attire, plucked a bunch of sparkling=20
yellow flower of 'Sarson' (mustard) and presented them to Hazrat=20
Nizamuddin who was in deep melancholy due to a personal grief. He=20
broke into laughter by the dress and gesture of Amir Khusru. And thus=20
began the celebration of
Basant Utsav. Eight hundred years later, the tradition continues=20
uninterrupted. Even today, Qawwali resonates in the precinct amidst=20
serene gaiety and collective bliss on this day.
Communicators' Cooperative (Cc) invites you to be a part of this=20
living tradition where centuries merge in an eclectic and ecstatic=20
celebration of blissful acceptance & seamless fusion. We have planned=20
a four day long Programme to mark the occasion this year.
As a multi-state cooperative of creative professionals Cc seeks your=20
association to turn it into an unforgettable event. Given your=20
commitment towards strengthening the great multi-cultural
heritage of Hindustan we feel assured of your support and=20
participation. A blue print of proposed programme follows.

That this event will garner support from all walks of the society is=20
by now a given. Aspiring to be a platform where the privileged and=20
not so privileged can meet, communicate, articulate and understand,=20
the event we are sure would become the platform for sharing. Sharing=20
of hopes and aspirations, love and joy, resources and privileges.=20
This is the hope with which this festival is being launched and this=20
is what we are set to achieve.
With you all coming together with us of course.
=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20
The Basant Blueprint

Day I Thursday, February 6, 2003
Basanti Walk
10.30 a.m. Venue: Humayun's Tomb
THE NIZAMMUDDIN AREA in Delhi is the proud bearer of its history and=20
unbroken traditions. All that is harmonious and magnificent has found=20
space over here and then lived on in great splendour. Art, Culture,=20
Cuisine and the Spiritual. Sufi Saints, Emperors, Poets and=20
Intellectuals. They have all gained and grown under the munificent=20
and peaceful glow of the Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia.
For over eight hundred years Sufi Basant is being celebrated here=20
with great gusto and camaraderie, so unique to the abode of the=20
Hazrat Sahib. On the Basant Panchami day, Sufis in their yellow robe=20
and turban/cap carrying yellow mustard flowers sing songs written by=20
poets of the eminence of Amir Khusru and Rahim.
The Basanti Walk will wind its way from the Humayun's Tomb and the=20
wide treelined avenues in its immediate vicinity to the narrow=20
fragrant alleys leading upto the dargah of Hazrat Nizamuddin Aulia on=20
the other side of the road. An unbroken tradition from the days of=20
Amir Khusru we will walk through these lanes, bye-lanes and monuments=20
that shaped our history and learn more about them. The walk will=20
culminate at the Rahim's Tomb.

Saraswati Vandana
12.30 p.m. Venue: Rahim's Tomb=20
BASANT PANCHAMI MARKS the day of celebration of learning and=20
knowledge. In a large part of the country, children are initiated=20
into education on this day. But all children are not so fortunate.=20
Run away kids and orphans are certainly not. We aim to run a unique=20
musical workshop where a select group of these not so privileged kids=20
will gather and learn. Saraswati Vandana written by the great poet=20
Suryakant Tripathi Nirala which will be set to music by a giant of=20
Indian Classical Music. This choir trained by Cc will perform at the=20
Rahim's tomb on this very auspicious day.

We will have audiences from nearby areas who would participate in the=20
formal Saraswati Vandana by these children. Young people from=20
schools, colleges and other institutions would be invited to=20
participate. We aim to target 20 schools and 10 colleges which can be=20
asked specifically to come and join and bear witness to this splendid=20
gathering. This function will be concluded with setting free 200=20
yellow air balloons with messages of peace and harmony on them.

Basanti Udaan
History tells us that Basant in Mughal era was characterized by a=20
bold spread of yellow colours in all forms. Kites being the most=20
important manifestation of this festival of freedom, gaiety, colours=20
and harmony. Amritsar or Lahore. Kite flying is also the one feature=20
of Basant which unites people living on both sides of Wagah. A=20
kite-flying contest shall be held on the Rahim's Tomb lawns to mark=20
this feeling of unity.
Enthusiasts of kite flying from Delhi and other places shall be=20
invited to participate. Makers of kites may be invited from Old=20
Delhi, Rampur, Rajasthan and other towns.
Mustard yellow will be the theme of the kites. Some kite makers would=20
be able to set up temporary shops in the area - selling and giving=20
lecture-demonstrations on how to fly a kite and how to make the=20
manjha (thread) etc. Some kites would carry message of universal=20
brotherhood so that when they fall off in far away places, they carry=20
messages across the city.
Approximately 200-250 people are likely to participate actively in=20
this event. Guidelines, precautions for kite-flyers, posters and=20
banners shall be printed for the occasion.

Kavi Sammelan/Mushaira

2.30 p.m. Venue: Ghalib Tomb/Ghalib Academy Hall=20=20=20=20

BASANT UTSAV DOES not belong to any one religion. Instead it is a=20
celebration of the glorious nature, its splendid hues, fragrance and=20
vibrations
and hence belongs to every one. It is symbolic of the joy and gaiety=20
that courses through our veins. Nizamuddin is also the area which=20
produced literary giants like Amir Khusru, Rahim Khankhana and Mirza=20
Ghalib. To celebrate these great sons of Saraswati, this poetry=20
session would be a unique amalgamation of the talents of seasoned=20
and young kavi and shayars wrting in Hindi and Urdu. Giving all of us=20
an opportunity to invoke our muse and grant us our wish to create a=20
world of collective bliss and harmony.

Sufi Basant

5.00 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
ON THE DAY of Basant Panchami, inspired and enlivened by the local=20
tradition, Amir Khusru wrapped in a yellow attire, plucked a bunch of=20
sparkling yellow flowers and presented them to Hazrat Nizamuddin who=20
was in deep melancholy due to a personal grief. He broke into=20
laughter by the dress and gestures of Amir Khusru. And thus began the=20
celebration. Eight Hundred years later, the tradition continues=20
uninterrupted.
People join the traditional procession of Sufis singing the praise of=20
Basant, heading towards the Dargah of Hazrat Nizammuddin Aulia for=20
paying obeisance to the great Saint and listening to the quawwals.
300-500 people are expected to accompany us to the Dargah wearing=20
yellow T-shirts and scarves.
6.30 p.m.- 7.30 p.m.
Traditional paper lamps would be flown near the Dargah. About 50 such=20
lamps shall be flown that shall be visible in the night sky from a=20
distance.

Day II Friday, 7th February 2003

Basanti Sanskriti
10.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m Venue: Rahim's Tomb=20
IN THE TIMES gone by, kings and rulers organized literary seminars=20
and get-togethers on Basant Panchami day. Poets, dramatists and=20
writers were felicitated and rewarded on this occasion. Great dramas=20
written of Kalidasa and other dramatists were played before the=20
audience during this festival. This year's Basant focuses on the=20
education of differently abled and special children.
Thematic painting competitions will be organised for young children=20
from juvenile homes and schools which are engaged in the education=20
for the physically challenged. The idea is also to have children=20
studying in regular schools to come, interact and understand their=20
differently abled soulmates through this special event. Eminent=20
painters would be invited as judges for this show. Schools from the=20
National Capital Region will be approached to participate in this=20
event. We intend to put up posters specific to this competition at=20
institutions and would also print over 5000 forms/ brochures which=20
can be supported by publicity in newspapers and the electronic media.=20
We expect approximately 300 young children to participate in this=20
event.
Basanti Bioscope
2.30 p.m. to 7.30 p.m. Venue : Ghalib Academy
BASANT HAS CAUGHT the imagination of filmmakers and audiences alike=20
for several generations now. To celebrate the flowering of such=20
imaginations a day long screening of popular films on the theme of=20
Basant shall be organised. This will not only feature documentaries=20
but also Hindi film scenes and song vignettes.
Brochures, posters and banners related to the event shall be printed=20
and put up at academic institutions and popular places to ensure=20
greater participation. Direct mail and invitations shall be sent to=20
eminent individuals and institutions for participation and viewing of=20
the films.

Day III Saturday, 8th February, 2003
Basanti Prabhat Pheri & Sair-e-Virasat=20
The Heritage Walk
9.00 a.m. to 12.30 a.m
>From Hauz e shamshi (venue of Phool Walon Ki Sair)
to the Mehrauli Complex
The rich cultural heritage of Mehrauli has contributed immensely to=20
the Sufi tradition and has been an active site for Basant=20
celebration. A landmark event in Delhi's cultural calendar is Phool=20
Waalon Ki Sair which is steeped and grounded in the lanes of=20
Mehrauli. The site where the foundations of Delhi were laid has=20
historical monuments spread all around it - overshadowed by the=20
towering Qutub Minar. In order to bring awareness about the cultural=20
heritage of the city that was Mehrauli, this day of Basant would=20
begin with a Heritage walk.
People from all walks of life - intellectuals, academician,=20
filmmakers, students and common people - shall take a Prabhat Pheri=20
around the great historic monuments of Mehrauli area with historians=20
and eminent residents of this area guiding them. This aims at=20
promoting an appreciation of our great heritage and to foster=20
solidarity and harmony among the communities.=20
A heritage map of the area is proposed to be brought out for the=20
occasion for wide distribution. The people shall be wearing yellow=20
T-shirts and scarves. Apart from 10-15 banners at important places in=20
the area at least 5000 leaflets shall be distributed in the=20
surrounding areas through newspapers and direct mail for mobilising=20
maximum participation.

Basanti Haat

12.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m.Venue: Mehrauli Complex
To be formally inaugurated by a celebrity Basanti Haat would be a two=20
day itinerant bazaar to be based in Mehrauli. Stalls shall be set up=20
selling all kinds of stuffs related to the theme of Basant -=20
handicrafts, clothes, flowers, food, drinks, posters, photographs,=20
greeting cards, calendars, books, music cassettes, CD-ROMs, kites,=20
and other material. A speciality of this day is Kheer, sweet rice=20
(yellow) with almonds, raisins and cashew nuts added to it Karhi=20
chawal (rice with a yellow curry) is a must in the afternoon. Vendors=20
and booksellers shall be invited to take up these stalls on hire. All=20
materials would carry messages of peace and equality and would be=20
sold at nominal rates.
The publicity for the event shall be supported through distribution=20
of 5000 brochures, 300 posters and 10-15 banners.

Basanti Jhoom/Nritya The Spring Dance

3.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m. Venue: Mehrauli Complex
FOLK DANCE AND Song troupes would be invited to perform through the=20
day at selected places in Mehrauli. The theme of the dress and=20
music/dance would be Basant. The dance stage, the choreography and=20
the presentation would be immaculate and evocative of the spirit of=20
Basant. The dances would be participatory in nature that implies that=20
the audience would be encouraged to join in.

Day IV Sunday, 9th February,2003

Basanti Prabhat Pheri & Sair-e-Virasat
The Heritage Walk
10.00 a.m. to 1.00 p.m.
>From Qutub Minar, Mehrauli to Mehrauli Complex
A walk conducted by eminent historians, archaeologist, and other=20
personalities shall be undertaken around the Mehrauli area. The walk=20
shall culminate at Mehrauli Complex, the venue for the Haat. The walk=20
shall serve as an opportunity for scholars and people interested in=20
knowing about India's cultural heritage to have a close interaction=20
with the walkers. A map of the walk along with a brief history of the=20
monuments shall be printed as a brochure.
At least 800 people are expected to participate in these Heritage=20
Walks. Wearing yellow T-shirts and scarves these people shall be=20
conducted through the Mehrauli area by experts. The publicity for=20
this walk would be ensured through distribution of maps, handouts and=20
direct mail. Posters and banners shall also be displayed at vantage=20
points..

Basanti Haat
12.00 p.m. to 5.30 p.m. Venue: Mehrauli Complex
THE HAAT INAUGURATED the previous day shall continue on this day.
Basanti Samaa
3.00 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.Venue: Mehrauli Complex
AN EVENING OF qawwalis, folk and classical music concert by eminent=20
qawwals and classical singers. The culminating event we aim to end=20
the celebrations on a real grand note. For this a highly evolved=20
stage and sound technology must be put in place.=20
We propose to have artists of the eminence of the Wadali Brothers,=20
Iqbal Ahmed Khan, Madan Gopal Singh, Manjit Bawa, Shubha Mudgal, Bhai=20
Baljeet Singh to come and grace the occasion and share that is the=20
most endearing to them all. Music written and composed by the great=20
Sufi and Bhakti Saints.

THE BASANTI BINDING FACTORS

BASANTI POCKET FLAGS
Small yellow coloured flags symbolizing peace and harmony shall be=20
sold all over Delhi throughout the campaign. Stickers for cars would=20
also be printed.

BASANTI SOUVENIRS
Printed souvenirs carrying articles related to Basant and poetry,=20
stories, history, and literature on Basant in Hindi, Urdu and English=20
shall be distributed during the entire campaign.

BASANTI BOOKMARKS
Bookmarks related to Basant shall be printed and distributed.

BASANTI RAFFLE
A raffle will be conducted on the penultimate day with the prize=20
distribution during Basanti Samaa, the musical concert at the end of=20
celebrations.

OTHER MEMORABILIA
Other memorabilia associated with the 4 day Basanti festival will be=20
sold as a package. This would include a T-shirt, a scarf, a=20
bookmark, a map of the heritage walk, a flag, a souvenir etc. These=20
would be sold during the campaign. Video cassette containing=20
clippings of films showing Basant, an audio cassette with songs=20
related to Basant may be added to the package and /or may be sold=20
separately during or even after the festival.

VIDEO COVERAGE
Video coverage of the entire festival: Digital video shooting and=20
editing would be done so that a feature programme can be mounted to=20
be shown by various TV channels.

DIGITAL AUDIO COVERAGE
Digital audio coverage of the shows would be done which can be=20
packaged as CD-ROMs and audio tapes which can be sold to commemorate=20
the event later.

PUBLICITY
Publicity for the event shall be managed through invitations,=20
handouts, Print and Electronic Media Publicity apart from=20
advertisements in the newspapers.

Basant 2003

Aims and Objectives

People cutting across religions, communities and nationalities would=20
be involved to turn the Basant 2003 celebration as a unique vibrant=20
and truly People's Festival.

The locations would be such that they not only represent the=20
'traditionality' of the event but would be easily accessible to=20
people of all communities.

The events would consciously invoke and canvas for inter religious=20
solidarity and harmony and must be perceived by people as the=20
harbinger of peace and prosperity through amity and affection.

Events involving different target groups but not mutually exclusive=20
groups would encourage participation of people belonging to different=20
age and income groups.

By highlighting a forgotten festival and several historical monuments=20
this event would aim at providing a tremendous fillip to Delhi's=20
Tourism.

(Sponsors for most of the above activities/products are required.=20
Kindly contact us at <mailto:basant@c...>basant@c...=20
or <mailto:yousufsaeed@i...>yousufsaeed@i... )

_____

#3.

The Hindu
Friday, Jan 03, 2003
http://www.thehindu.com/2003/01/03/stories/2003010300101000.htm

Hinduism in danger?

By Andre Beteille

If Hinduism is in danger today, the main source of that danger may=20
lie within and not outside it.

SOME OF the most vivid recollections of my childhood go back to the=20
Great Calcutta Killings when as a boy of 11 or 12 I had to travel by=20
bus and tram between home and school in an unsafe city. I did not=20
have a clear understanding of what was happening, but something from=20
those days that echoes in my memory is the phrase `Islam in danger'.

The phrase had different connotations at home and in the school. At=20
school I came to befriend a number of Muslim boys whose social and=20
political orientations were very different from those of my home.=20
They spoke Urdu and English rather than Bengali. They were a couple=20
of years older than me, took a keen interest in politics and were=20
passionately attached to the idea of Pakistan which in 1946 seemed a=20
fantasy to me. They had obviously been taught at home that in India=20
there was a serious threat not only to the Muslims as a minority but=20
also to Islam as a way of life.

My home environment was quite different. The place where we lived at=20
that time was not my parents' home but one to which my mother, born a=20
Bengali Hindu, was closely attached by ties of fictive kinship. It=20
was a liberal, secular, middle-class Bengali home, strongly attached=20
to the idea of a single India and strongly opposed to the two-nation=20
theory. The most articulate member of the household, who was a humane=20
and broad-minded nationalist, became my mother's political mentor. I=20
remember him explaining to us with great clarity and conviction that=20
the idea of Islam in danger was wrong and pernicious and that it=20
would bring great suffering to the Muslim minority for whose=20
predicament he had deep and genuine sympathy.

The wheel seems to be turning full circle now, and more and more=20
people are beginning to feel and say that Hinduism is in danger. If=20
someone strongly opposes that view, he may be denounced as a=20
pseudo-secularist, even if he happens to be the Prime Minister of=20
India. Surely, it is this growing hysteria about the danger to=20
Hinduism that has led members of his own parivar or extended family=20
to describe even the stout-hearted L. K. Advani as a=20
pseudo-secularist.

The hysteria about Hinduism in danger is growing and spreading, and=20
it tends to catch liberal and enlightened Hindus on the wrong foot.=20
This seems now to be the most serious challenge not only to the=20
religious minorities but to Indian society as a whole and, indeed, to=20
Hinduism itself. One would expect Hindu intellectuals, whether they=20
are secularists, pseudo-secularists or plain honest Hindus, to oppose=20
the spread of this hysteria which is being nurtured by persons whose=20
main motivation is revenge for real or imagined injuries inflicted on=20
their co-religionists in the past or the present. Yet one sees very=20
little intellectual opposition to it from within Hinduism.

At the time of Independence Hindu intellectuals were by and large=20
free from the kind of paranoia that characterised many of their=20
Muslim counterparts, and this continued into the years of Nehru's=20
prime ministership and beyond. But the tide may now be turning. Hindu=20
intellectuals appear less confident about the prospects of a modern,=20
secular and democratic political order in India than they were when=20
the Republic came into being in 1950. Some if not many of them have=20
begun to feel that Hinduism is in danger not only from other=20
religions but from secular modernity itself. The attack on=20
pseudo-secularists comes not only from those who are opposed to other=20
religions but also from those who are opposed to secular ideas and=20
institutions.

Is Hinduism really in danger? On the evidence, objectively=20
considered, the presumption will be that Hinduism is far less=20
endangered in independent India than Islam was in India before=20
Independence. But that is not really the point, for the objective=20
evidence of danger is one thing and the feeling of being endangered=20
is another. It may well be that the number of Muslims now in Pakistan=20
who feel that Islam is in danger is larger than the number of those=20
who felt in that way in undivided India. The partition of India did=20
not reduce the feeling among Muslims on the Subcontinent that Islam=20
was in danger, it probably enhanced it.

Where is the danger to Hinduism believed to come from? Does it come=20
from other religions within or outside the country? Or does it come=20
from the ascendance of secular ideas and institutions which tend to=20
be represented by both Hindu and Muslim traditionalists as godless=20
and immoral?

There has been some agitation in recent times over conversions from=20
Hinduism to other religions. Various things may be said for and=20
against religious conversion. But surely, one is not going to argue=20
that the conversion of a few hundred, or a few thousand, or even a=20
few hundred thousand Hindus to Islam or Christianity or Buddhism will=20
bring about the collapse of an ancient, complex and vibrant religion=20
such as Hinduism. Hinduism has withstood conversion on a far more=20
massive scale in the past. It is most unlikely that conversion on=20
that kind of scale will ever take place in the future.

It is said that Hindus are no longer safe in their own country since=20
their temples are now open to assault. The assault on places of=20
worship of no matter which religion is a criminal act which does not=20
weaken religious faith and observance as much as it challenges the=20
legitimacy of the secular state whose responsibility it is to protect=20
all places of worship.

Acts of competitive vandalism aimed at the desecration of sacred=20
places are on the increase. Sometimes they are undertaken with the=20
open or tacit encouragement of popular religious functionaries. Today=20
it is those who engage in such acts who are likely to raise the=20
slogan that their religion is in danger. But the sad thing is that=20
they are not the only ones. Those who first raised the slogan of=20
Islam in danger in pre-partition India were not all vandals. Some of=20
them were educated, even cultivated men. Indeed, intellectuals always=20
play a part in creating channels for the expression of popular=20
passions. They do not always do so with evil intentions, but they are=20
easily intoxicated by their own ideas when they find that those ideas=20
resonate among the masses of people.

The disquiet about the future of Hinduism seems to be more widespread=20
among Hindu intellectuals than it was 50 years ago. How far this=20
mirrors the disquiet among those who speak for the minority=20
religions, and how far it is based on autonomous and independent=20
causes, it is not easy to determine.

As the strains created in society by secular modernity become=20
increasingly apparent, more and more Hindu intellectuals are=20
beginning to believe that their religion and way of life are=20
endangered. They are less confident about it than they ought to be in=20
view of its demonstrated vitality, resilience and adaptability. One=20
consequence of this is that the internal critique of Hinduism which=20
began in the 19th century and continued for well over a hundred years=20
seems to be drying up. This is unfortunate because the vitality of a=20
religion depends upon a continuous critique of it by its own=20
reflective members. Some years before he died, the Marxist economist=20
and writer, Ashok Rudra, published a critique of Hinduism in Bengali=20
entitled "Brahminical Religion and the Mentality of the Modern=20
Hindu". I wonder how many such books are being written today in Hindi=20
which is the most widely used among the Indian languages.

Enlightened Hindus in the 19th century felt free to attack the=20
corruption and decay in their own religion and among their own=20
religious leaders. Their present-day counterparts find it more=20
convenient to train their guns on secular intellectuals than on their=20
own religious leaders whose intolerant and vengeful acts do far=20
greater harm to Hinduism from within. If Hinduism is in danger today,=20
the main source of that danger may lie within and not outside it.

_____

#4.

JUST RELEASED

HINDUTVA
An autopsy of fascism
as theoterrorist cult
and other essays

By
IK SHUKLA

This book by I. K. Shukla is a powerful exposure of national=20
dishonour indulged in by the Indian equivalent of Nazis =96 the saffron=20
brigade. The author's sharp thinking coupled with powerful language=20
bares the naked and brutal agenda of the Sangh Parivar which, if left=20
unchecked, will polarize the Indian polity on communal lines.

The author, through 46 essays, unmasks the Hindutva fanatics and=20
their antics, which have dangerous consequences. It is a post-mortem=20
of the unconstitutional and the unpatriotic activities of Parivar=20
cohorts and their cronies whose national betrayal has left=20
law-abiding citizens benumbed. It brings to readers various=20
spine-chilling episodes from the saffron stable.

Order your copies from
MEDIA HOUSE, 375-A, POCKET 2, MAYUR VIHAR, PHASE-1, DELHI-110091. INDIA.

E-mail: <mailto:mediabooks@h...>mediabooks@h...
books@i...

Total Pages 176

______

#5.

Food Insecurity Atlas of Urban India by the M.S. Swaminathan Research=20
Foundation and the World Food Programme, 2002; pages 212.

M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation
3rd Cross St, Taramani Institutional Area, Chennai - 600 113
Ph: +91 - 44 - 2541229, 2542698, 2541698 Fax: +91 - 44 - 2541319
E-mail: <msswami@m...>

South Asia Citizens Web (www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996.
To subscribe send a blank message to: