[sacw] SACW | 6 August 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 02:59:56 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | 6 August 2002

>From South Asia Citizens Web:
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

__________________________

#1. Public Apology : From Pakistanis to Bangladeshis - A statement=20
released by a number of organizations in Pakistan
#2. US Russian Lessons for South Asia (Zia Mian, R Rajaraman and=20
Frank von Hippel)
India:
#3. Pakistan: A Deadly Place for Blasphemy (Paul Watson)
#4. India / Gujarat: In Memory of Ahsan Jafri - Coping with the Pain=20
(Nishrin Hussain)
#5. India: BJP's Kamaraj Plan: Ideology Rules Over Governance (B G Verghese=
)
#6. USA: Human Rights Violation in Gujarat - A Talk by Shabnam=20
Hashmi (6 Aug. Colombia, MO)
#7. India: Pro-RSS Cultural Leaders Owe An Explanation (CHRO)
#8. Correspondence between Amitav Ghosh and Dipesh Chakrabarty
#9. USA: Hindutva Hot head calls for possible boycott of Rediff.com=20
following a news report by the well known journalist Aseem Chhabra
#10. Philology vanished: Frawley's Rigveda - I (by MICHAEL WITZEL)
#11. India: Campaign-Mode VHP Plans Godhra Tableau Parade

__________________________

#1.

Public Apology
>From Pakistanis to Bangladeshis

A statement released by a number of organizations in Pakistan

We the citizens of Pakistan welcome the statement of regret by=20
President Pervez Musharraf in Bangladesh on the atrocities of 1971=20
and would take this opportunity to make a public apology to the=20
sisters and brothers of Bangladesh, for all the excesses and=20
atrocities that were committed upon civilians. We feel sad and=20
burdened by what we know was a violation of people=92s human rights.

Though this apology should have come a long time ago, and some=20
citizen groups did make attempts to do so, we deeply feel that a=20
message from us is necessary to acknowledge historic wrongs, to=20
express our sincere apology and to build a bond based on honest=20
sentiments.

We hope that we can build solidarity in future and move towards a=20
peaceful South Asia, where people can find solutions to poverty and=20
social injustice through a healthy political process and an empowered=20
civil society rather than military force.

Endorsed by:

1. Human Rights Commission of Pakistan (HRCP)
2. Sungi Development Foundation (SUNGI)
3. ActionAid Pakistan (AAPK)
4. Lawyers for Human Rights & Legal Aid (LHRLA)
5. Damaan Development Organization (DAMAAN)
6. Sustainable Development Policy Institute (SDPI)
7. Strengthening Participatory Organization (SPO)
8. South Asia Partnership Pakistan (SAP-PK)
9. Democratic Commission for Human Development (DCHD)
10. Bedari
11. Anjuman Jamhuriat Pasand Khawateen (Democratic Women Association)
12. Gidan, Quetta =96 Balochistan
13. Haari Rabta Council Sindh
14. Human Resource Management & Development Centre (HRMDC)
15. Inter Press Communication
16. Interactive Resource Centre (IRC)
17. Joint Action Committee for Peoples Rights (JAC)
18. Kachho Bachayo Tehrik
19. Kachho Social Development Forum Wahi Pandhi
20. Lok Rehas, Lahore
21. Mengal Trust, Aranji =96 Balochistan
22. Pakistan Fisherfolk Forum (PFF)
23. SIMORG
24. Conscience Promoters
25. Sindh Devlopment Society, Hyderabad
26. Sindh NGO Forum (SINGOF)
27. The Network for Consumer Protection
28. Village Shad Abad Welfare Organization, Johi
29. Working Women Organization (WWO)
30. Bhandar Haari Sungat Hyderabad
31. Bhit Shah Coordination Council
32. Child Development Organization, Johi
33. Insaan Foundation, Lahore
34. Youth Commission for Human Rights, Lahore
35. Labor Party Pakistan
36. Pak Christian National Party
37. Centre for Legal Aid, Assistance and Settlement, Lahore
38. Association for Human & Education Devlopment (AHED Pakistan)
39. Sindh Graduate Association
40. Johi Organization for Rural Development & Natural Disaster
41. Kachho Foundation
42. Young Samaji Tanzeem
43. Abadgar Association
44. Gorakh Development Organization
45. Progressive Women=92s Association
46. RISE, Peshawar

_____

#2.

Foreign Policy in Focus
A Global Affairs Commentary
August 2, 2002

US Russian Lessons for South Asia
by Zia Mian, R Rajaraman and Frank von Hippel

http://www.fpif.org/pdf/gac/0208nukelessons.pdf

_____

#3.

The Los Angeles Times
August 5, 2002
COLUMN ONE
A Deadly Place for Blasphemy
In Pakistan, those accused of sacrilege against Islam face life in=20
prison or execution, if mobs or inmates don't kill them first.

By PAUL WATSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-blasphemy5aug05005038.s=
tory?coll=3Dla%2Dheadlines%2Dworld

_____

#4.

Coping with the Pain
Ms. Nishrin Hussain (the daugther of the late Ehsan Jaffri).

I am the daughter of the former Member of Parliament, Ahsan Jafri,=20
who was brutalized, burnt in his own house and killed on February 28=20
during Gujarat violence that took place in the wake of Godhra=20
incident. It was hard for me even to believe that he is no more, that=20
he is taken away so untimely and with such cruelty and brutality. As=20
he was burnt and we did not find his body, there is no closure for me=20
on his death. During the past 5 months, I have swung wildly between=20
the extremes of faith and hopelessness, brotherhood and utter=20
disbelief in humanity, our ancient values and wisdom, and the=20
displayed dance of immorality and violence in Gujarat. Over this=20
time, I even confronted my roots and religion. But thanks to the=20
power of my father's teachings and the support of my family, I have=20
now regained my balance, overcome my grief, even if only partially.=20
Partially, because I still fail to control my emotions while thinking=20
about the sword that ripped him, the fire that burnt him, the people=20
who killed him. But I can now share with you my memories of my=20
father, what he was to me, what he endured in his services to his=20
family, his country, and how proud he has made us all.

He was my hero. The moment I close my eyes the entire period of my=20
life from my early childhood to the day I got married and left my=20
family in India, plays back. Repeatedly. He was with me every moment=20
of that life and he is with me, in spirit, now as I write this letter.

My dear Abba [father], I love you. We all love you. We all miss you.=20
We thank you for your devotion, your faith, your courage, your=20
values, your sacrifice. You have taught us to be selfless and not put=20
ourselves first. Ammi [mother] is never tired of recounting the=20
incident when in the bedroom of your old house while you were=20
sleeping, the small kerosene lamp on the side of the bed fell off and=20
the curtain caught fire. You were sleeping on the side of the fire=20
and Ammi was next to you. As the heat woke you up and you saw the=20
fire, instead of jumping out of the bed immediately, you first woke=20
Ammi up and asked her to get to the safety. But as she woke up and=20
saw the fire, she thinks she quickly jumped out of the bed and ran to=20
the door without even knowing where you were or what you were trying=20
to tell her. It is more than 40 years since, but she still remembers=20
and regrets that incident and feels guilty of putting herself first=20
that day and not grabbing your hand as she ran to the door. In the=20
wake of what happened on February 28, as she was upstairs in the=20
house while you were being brutalized and burnt in your efforts to=20
save the lives and honor of over hundred men, women and children who=20
had gathered in your house seeking protection from the violent mob,=20
that guilt has become unbearable for her. She sees that 40 year old=20
incident replayed, yet again, only if under different circumstances=20
and with not so bearable consequences.

Thousands of books in your library, the books on law, literature,=20
philosophy, humanity, religion, national unity and your own poems=20
articulating your understanding of all that, have turned into ashes-=20
the treasure you had safeguarded and saved for your children and=20
grandchildren. The sparrows in your office, are no more- their nests=20
burnt. I remember how you used to encourage and assist the sparrows=20
make their nest in your office, lay eggs, rear their chicks and teach=20
them to fly. You would keep one office window open all the time, even=20
when we go out and lock the entire house. Only so that the sparrows=20
can get in and out freely. Several times a day, you will happily=20
clean the mess sparrows will make in your office in the process of=20
making their nests. When the sparrows had little chicks, you would=20
put a tape on the fan switch never allowing to turn it on even by=20
mistake. You will work in the heat rather than risk injuring the=20
chicks by the fan. We also miss those sparrows.

Kaliya, the young boy who had foot infection cries and recalls how=20
you took him to the doctor and used to personally dress and bandage=20
his wounds. He also tells how he, whom no one else would even touch,=20
used to feel embarrassed to sit on the chair while you would sit down=20
and tend to his feet. Dozens of those whom you helped over years also=20
come and reminisce your kindness and generosity. Many of them also=20
know how you used to ask them to white-wash the house, paint the=20
doors, or remodel the toilets, kitchen, or garage in our house, not=20
because that was needed, but because you wanted them to work and make=20
a living for themselves. They all miss you.

Abba, I know if you wanted, you could have earned a lot of money=20
through your practice or the political career. But instead, constant=20
with our ethos, the Indian ethos, you chose to lead a life of simple=20
living and high thinking. If you wanted, you could have become a very=20
powerful and pragmatic politician. But instead, constant with the=20
values of your mentor and the ideal, Mahatma Gandhi, you chose to=20
serve the people of our community, our country. Your poems on=20
communal unity, national integrity and human dignity will continue to=20
guide generations.

You have touched many hearts. A majority of Hindus and Muslims have=20
come together in mourning you. You were an apostle of peace and an=20
advocate of humanity and human dignity. Most of our Hindu friends=20
express regret and shame over what a few misguided radicals who they=20
believe were Hindus did to you and to the thousands of other innocent=20
people in the Gulberg Society and Gujarat. Bearing a feeling of=20
guilt, these friends often come and apologize to us for the Gujarat=20
violence. But we tell them, as you would have, that it is not they=20
who must feel guilty. It is not Hinduism that is responsible for the=20
carnage and should be blamed. The misguided radicals were the=20
extremists, the followers of extremism, which is a religion in=20
itself. Hindus are as innocent, as kind, as compassionate, as God=20
fearing and law abiding citizens as those Muslims who were made=20
targets and killed in Gujarat by those extremists. We tell this to=20
all of our friends, here and everywhere. We love them, respect them=20
and respect their sincerity and faith in our values just as you did.=20
We share their concern and resolve to work together to eliminate the=20
monster of fascism injecting and spreading the poison of hate in our=20
society, our country.

Abba, there was a time when I was totally overwhelmed with my loss,=20
when I repeatedly kept asking myself, Awhy my father? Why him?@ But=20
thanks to your teachings, the teachings of always seeing the bigger=20
picture of events and the bigger picture of our lives, I have=20
recognized that there are thousands of others like me - men, women=20
and children - who have lost their near and dear ones and who are=20
also asking Awhy them?@ Scores of children have become orphans and=20
scores of parents have become childrenless. I also recognized that=20
some of the likes of me are in Godhra and in Kashmir. Their pain is=20
no less than mine. Their loss is no less than mine. Their innocence=20
is no less than mine. So I ask of those in power who have carried out=20
this carnage and who from time to time commit such crimes against=20
humanity Awhy us?@. And with all humility, humbleness and a sincere=20
heart, I ask God AWhy not those who preach the hatred? Why not those=20
who spread communal intolerance? Why not those who propagate the=20
violence against His creation?@

My dear Abba, I remember you telling me there is animosity in the=20
world, but there is also peace, harmony and love. There is pain and=20
miseries in the world, but there is also happiness, progress and=20
prosperity. There is fighting and brutality in the world, but there=20
is also brotherhood, peace and tranquillity. It only depends upon=20
where and how you look at the world. Thanks to your optimism and my=20
upbringing with a positive outlook, I choose to see love,=20
brotherhood, peace and communal harmony in India. I choose to believe=20
the violence and communal intolerance we saw in Gujarat was only an=20
aberration and that soon it will pass. The hate mongers with a=20
divisive agenda will be defeated and the people in India will come=20
together, regardless of their religion or race, regardless of their=20
color or caste, regardless of their political orientation or=20
ideology, to realize your dream and the dream of millions of others=20
like you - that of a united, progressive, prosperous, secular and=20
proud India.

My dear Abba, thinking about you and your teachings revitalize my=20
resolve to go out and help thousands of those homeless men, women and=20
children produced in the wake of Gujarat massacre who have been=20
suffering what is insufferable, who have been enduring, what is=20
unendurable. I am not bitter against any individual, or a community.=20
Following in your foot-steps, I with your son-in-law Najid Hussain,=20
am working to the best of my capacity and capability, to help those=20
destitute people. We have help from several individuals, institutions=20
and organizations. We are working to provide those people=20
rehabilitation, guarantee their safety and security and work to=20
ensure justice in Gujarat. Bless us Abba. And bless the country you=20
served all your life with distinction, honor and a selfless devotion.=20
Bless us and guide us so that we can clearly see and tread the path=20
you showed us-- the path of kindness and compassion, of unity and=20
integrity, of peace and harmony-- so that we never have to see=20
Gujarat repeated ever again. Thank you. We love you. We will always=20
love you. We also miss you.

_____

#5.

The Times of India

BJP's Kamaraj Plan: Ideology Rules Over Governance
B G VERGHESE

The contradictions between the BJP and the parivar are manifest in=20
tensions within the government and between the governmental and=20
organisational wings of the party.
The BJP's Goa convention and the RSS conclave in Bangalore were early=20
indicators, with an RSS-influenced shifting of gears to get the party=20
into election mode. The BJP's 'Kamaraj plan' emphasises ideology over=20
governance.
The Gujarat elections have been sought to be advanced. If what has=20
been proudly proclaimed as Hindu consolidation is indeed encashed,=20
can national elections be far behind? The NDA allies have cause to be=20
worried. Many have thus far supported the NDA, as the Congress is the=20
principal challenger in their states. But this consideration is now=20
balanced by a lurking embarrassment about the BJP going the Hindutva=20
way. The BJP has long debated whether electoral advantage lies in=20
widening its appeal by donning the mask of moderation or by pushing=20
its Hindutva objectives. With electoral performance falling short of=20
ambition, it had no option but to construct a coalition. The=20
political comfort deriving from this tactical decision led some to=20
conclude that this was the right strategy. However, subsequent BJP=20
electoral reverses were attributed to ideological dilution. Efforts=20
to revive the Ayodhya agitation stalled, but Gujarat was perceived as=20
a triumph.
The votaries of traditional Hindutva do not accept that a multi-party=20
front is essential, for all time, to form a government at the Centre.=20
A bold Hindutva manifesto, they feel, can help polarise the vote and=20
give the BJP a majority in the Lok Sabha. Therefore, the elections in=20
Gujarat are not just about Narendra Modi's fate. Much more is at=20
stake. Mr Modi has dissolved the assembly, but may not be able to=20
force the snap election on which he has banked. The superintendence,=20
direction, control and conduct of elections lie exclusively with the=20
Election Commission as does the preparation and revision of electoral=20
rolls. Only on the commission's specific recommendation can the=20
governor formally notify elections. In 1995, the Election Commission=20
disregarded the indicative polling dates proposed by the Centre for=20
J&K (then under President's rule) on the ground that the prevailing=20
security environment precluded a free and fair poll. President's rule=20
in Gujarat might not be mandatory - as argued by sections of the=20
opposition - unless polls cannot be held within six months of=20
dissolution of the previous assembly, but the onus of any such=20
contretemps will lie on Mr Modi as well as the governor and the=20
Centre.
L K Advani has said that he knows of no chief minister who has ever=20
dealt with riots so sternly. If this is meant to be a tribute, then=20
it disregards every known fact and objective evaluation of this=20
national disgrace.
Electoral certification by the people, which he commends, would=20
entail no absolution for the Gujarat government's complicity in the=20
carnage. A listing of the section headings in the National Human=20
Rights Commission's little publicised report/ proceedings of May 31,=20
2002 is instructive: Failure to protect rights to life, liberty,=20
equality and dignity; failure of intelligence; failure to take=20
appropriate action; failure to identify local factors and players;=20
pattern of arrests; uneven handling of major cases; distorted FIRs=20
and pervasive insecurity.
The NHRC is critical of the Centre's casual and callous role in=20
issuing directions to the state despite its assurance to the Rajya=20
Sabha that it would do so under Article 355. In October 1997, the=20
then Union home minister had written to all chief ministers=20
forwarding ''guidelines to promote communal harmony''. Gujarat is=20
found to have observed these in the breach. A 1998 Supreme Court=20
directive on police reform was similarly disregarded, as were the=20
NHRC's directions. In consequence, the commission found the Modi=20
government guilty of comprehensive failure. Meanwhile, the Nanavati=20
commission is, to nobody's surprise, in limbo.
Many hundreds of officials were transferred just days before=20
dissolution of the assembly. Short-term sweeteners worth Rs 325 crore=20
were announced by a bankrupt government to position itself for the=20
polls. These entail the appointment of five grassroots development=20
workers per village/municipality for up to nine months, or 115,000=20
persons in all, whose services will be available for 'collateral'=20
purposes.
The Hindutva agenda is evident in J&K too with the RSS declaring=20
itself in favour of trifurcation. This advocacy of a communal=20
division has the parivar upholding the two-nation theory. The BJP has=20
demurred. Yet the BJP and the government have taken divergent=20
positions on the renewed autonomy talks which Arun Jaitley is=20
conducting. The autonomy versus devolution debate is irrelevant. At=20
the end of the day, what matters is substance, not nomenclature.=20
According to Mr Advani, the history of J&K warrants greater=20
devolution. The BJP would, however, limit itself to a regional=20
council for Jammu, whatever that means.
The re-commencement of autonomy/ devolution talks could nevertheless=20
be a step forward provided the government does not backtrack under=20
parivar pressure if the dialogue appears to be going somewhere.
As events unfold, the Government-Party-RSS contradictions could intensify.

_____

#6.

www.humanrightskerala.com=20
Ph: 0471- 476262=20
E-mail: chro@r...=20
CONFEDERATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS ORGANISATIONS (KERALAM ) 3, Ram=92s=20
Cottage, Ambalathumukku, Pettah, Thiruvananthapuram =96695024 S.India=20
________________________________________________________________________=20
Statement:-=20
August 05, 2002
PRO-RSS CULTURAL LEADERS OWE AN EXPLANATION
According to a statement issued by RSS Prachar Pramukh, R. Sanjayan,=20
cultural leaders like Sugathakumari, Vishnu Narayanan Namboodiri,=20
Sreekumaran Thampi, Bharat Gopi, Suresh Gopi, P. Parameswaran, P.=20
Narayana Kurup, Sujatha Devi, Dr. K. Omanakutty, E. Vasu, C. G.=20
Rajagopal, Thalanad Chandrasekharan, Alappuzha Sreekumar, Leela=20
Thampi and J. Sisupalan, had "condemned the inclusion of RSS and=20
other Sangh Parivar organisations" in the list of 13 religious=20
fundamentalist organisations prepared by Kerala Government. The=20
statement also said that a memorandum signed by these cultural=20
leaders, seeking to omit only the names of Sangh Parivar=20
organisations from the list, was given to the Chief Minister. They=20
also sought to know from the Chief Minister the criteria under which=20
the Sangh Parivar organisations were included in the list. Apart from=20
the ongoing ethnic cleansing of Muslim minorities in Gujarat by the=20
very Sangh Parivar organisations, these cultural leaders must explain=20
whether they are totally unaware about the following Sangh Parivar=20
deeds within Kerala itself : 1) Massive violence of arson and=20
looting unleashed by the very Sangh Parivar forces in=20
Thiruvananthapuram on July 13, 2000, and brutally murdering KSRTC bus=20
conductor, Rajesh, within the bus depot at East Fort (the cases on=20
which are still pending before the Court); 2) Police raiding and=20
seizing weapons stored from the offices of Sangh Parivar in and=20
around Sri Padmanabhaswamy Temple on the same day; and 3) The=20
explosion of RDX stored within the house of Vamana Prabhu, a Sangh=20
Parivar leader of Mattancherry, Kochi, for which he was arrested and=20
the case is still pending before the court. These cultural leaders=20
came out in support of only the five Sangh Parivar organisations=20
(RSS, VHP, Siva Sena, Bajrang Dal and Hindu Aikya Vedi), out of the=20
13-body list, since all the remaining 8 organisations are Muslim=20
bodies. On the other hand, police, prison and court records=20
throughout Kerala prove that the total number of convicts or=20
under-trials involved in heinous crimes like murder and belonging to=20
these Sangh Parivar organisations far exceed the number of those who=20
belong to the 8 Muslim organisations named in the list and facing=20
similar charges. This itself unmasked the blatant pro-Hindutva and=20
anti-Muslim bias of these cultural leaders. In an attempt to glorify=20
RSS, these cultural leaders said that Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru had=20
"included uniform-wearing RSS volunteers" in the Republic Day parade=20
in 1963, and termed it "as a gesture of appreciation from the first=20
Prime Minister of the country" towards RSS. This is a totally=20
misleading statement since the RSS had misused the then atmosphere of=20
jingoism and anti-China propaganda following the 1962 India-China war=20
to get a placement in the 1963 R-Day parade. The cultural leaders=20
should explain why the same Jawaharlal Nehru had banned RSS following=20
Mahatma Gandhi's murder in 1948, why the RSS never took part in=20
R-Day parades before or after 1963, and why the RSS refused to hoist=20
India's national flag on I-Day or R-Day at its national Headquarters=20
at Nagpur till last year?. In view of the Gujarat pogrom against the=20
Muslim minorities, and in order to prevent the Sangh Parivar scheme=20
of "Gujaratisation of Kerala", we urge the Kerala Government to=20
remove the name of Sangh Parivar organisations from the list of=20
"communal fundamentalists" and, instead, to issue a fresh=20
notification declaring them as "HINDUTVA FASCIST ORGANISATIONS".
1) Mukundan C. Menon, Secretary General
2) Dr. M. S. Jayaprakash, Patron, CHRO
3) Pazhavila Ramesan CHRO
4) 4) Dr. P. Muraleedharan Patron, CHRO
5) 5) Dr. Abdul Salam
6) 6) Brother Reni George Secretary, CHRO
7) 7) K. S. Sreejith Kumar
8) A. S. Ajith Kumar

_____

#7.

Correspondence between Amitav Ghosh and Dipesh Chakrabarty, professor=20
of South Asian Studies, History and the History of Culture at the=20
University of Chicago, on the subject of Chakrabarty's book,=20
Provincializing Europe (Princeton University Press, 1998).

New York
Feb. 23, 2001
On December 14, 2000, after reading Provincializing Europe I sent an=20
e-mail message to Dipesh Chakrabarty. I had never met or corresponded=20
with Dipesh before and I was not aware that he was in Australia at=20
the time. Despite other more pressing concerns, Dipesh was quick to=20
respond and over the next few days we sent each other a series of=20
e-mail messages centered broadly around Provincializing Europe.=20
Re-reading the correspondence later, we agreed that some of the=20
themes and issues we had touched on might be of interest to others.=20
With Dipesh's permission, the correspondence is to be included in a=20
collection of my prose pieces (to be published by Ravi Dayal &=20
Permanent Black in late 2001). In the meanwhile, since this is a=20
cyber-correspondence, it seems only appropriate that it should also=20
be posted here (with many thanks to Dipesh for his consent).

http://www.amitavghosh.com/correspondence.html

_____

#8.

Human Rights Violation in Gujarat
Genocide in The Land of Gandhi
A Talk by Shabnam Hashmi
Documentray: Evil Stalks the Land produced by Gauhar Raza

August 6, 2002
6.30pm
Jesse Wrench Auditorium, Memorial Unit South
Missu\ouri State University
Columbia, MO 65201
Tel- 573 619 8248

Women, The Victims of Gujarat
Talk by Shabnam Hashmi
Featuring
Exhibition & Film documentary
Talk by Shabnam Hashmi
Q&A Session
Lunch & Drinks Provided*
Chandni Restaurant
5748 Mowry School Rd, Newark, CA
Tel: 1-510-668-1051
Gujarat: A Tale of Woe
Saturday, August 10 2002
11:30 - 3:00 PM
Balentine Dr
Mowry School Rd
Chandni
* Tickets can be purchased from any of the sponsoring organizations=20
or at the venue for $10.00
Stevenson Blvd.
This event is sponsored by:

Coalition against Communalism [CAC] / EKTA

_____

#9.

[ Hindutva Hot head calls for possible boycott of Rediff.com=20
following a news report by the well known journalist Aseem Chhabra .=20
This is being posted below to draw attention of South Asian=20
Journalists, rights groups and concerned citizens]

o o o
http://pub6.ezboard.com/fhinduunityhinduismhottopics.showMessage?topicID=3D=
10079.topic

By: Naraian Kataria July 5th 2002

Dear Hindu Brothers/Sisters:

You may (or may not) be aware, that Rediff.com owns India Abroad.

On July 26, 2002, several of us invited India Abroad to cover Sadhvi=20
Ritambhara's (Didi Maa) program. Sadhvi Ritambhara is on a USA tour=20
to collect funds for Vatsalya Gram, a project under which orphaned=20
children and battered women will be provided caring shelters. The=20
children will be educated and provided motherly love in the age-old=20
Hindu family concept. It is a purely humanitarian effort to help our=20
less fortunate brethren.

Sadhvi Ritambhara's program was sponsored by about 20 Hindu=20
organizations and was very successful. More than 500 Hindus=20
representing various organizations graced the occasion.

Didi Ma is perhaps India's most rousing and eloquent speaker in Hindi=20
today. She has dedicated her life to social service, especially of=20
the orphans and poor. Sadhviji's pravachana (discourse) in Hindi was=20
electrifying! The audience was surcharged with pride in its Hindu=20
heritage and suffused with emotions of patriotism and community=20
service.

However, Aseem Chhabra the reporter from Rediff.com was significantly=20
biased in his negative reporting about the event. Aseem gave=20
excessive importance to the non-descript and vociferous two-dozen=20
odd protesters outside, rather than the packed devout audience of=20
over 500 inside. In his report Aseem constantly harped on Sadhviji's=20
so-called political past and political comments (c.f. "poems that=20
reflected her brilliance at demagoguery"). Aseem also did not=20
mention at all Sadhviji's extremely moving description of how her=20
Vatsalya Gram is trying to ensure that widows/destitute women and=20
orphans live and grow together in an atmosphere of family love and=20
warmth which characterized traditional India.

In summary, Aseem Chhabra tried his level best to damage the=20
credibility of Sadhviji, and portray both her and the entire Hindu=20
society in a bad light. While having a semblance of objectivity it=20
is very evident that Aseem is another partisan member of what=20
traditional Hindus call the 3M (Macaulay, Marx and Madrassah) group=20
of pseudo-secularists (P-secs in short). These P-secs will go to any=20
lengths to denigrate Hindu Dharma and glorify Islam, Christianity=20
and Marxism.

It is a well-known fact that P-secs, Marxists, and Islamists are well=20
trenched in media. They are on a mission to degrade, belittle, insult=20
and demoralize Hindus. I agree with some of you that it is a=20
stupendous task to challenge the powerful Media. However, I believe=20
that our inaction will embolden them further to damn us even more=20
vigorously

Hence, I request you all to kindly register your protest with India=20
Abroad and Rediff.com in any manner convenient to you- phone, fax or=20
e-mail.

India Abroad 43 West 24th Street New York, NY 10010 T: (646)=20
432-6000 (F) (212) 627-9503 e-mail: mail@i... e-mail:=20
news@r...

If India Abroad/Rediff.com does not change its anti-Hindu stance, and=20
provide more balanced reporting we should think in terms of stronger=20
measures. This would be through boycotts, which would financially=20
cripple the paper/online newspaper. This would certainly give them a=20
great dose of instant enlightenment. The African American community=20
in the US has used this tactic with great effect when they organized=20
boycotts of select Fortune 500 companies, which followed blatant=20
discriminatory policies. The task is difficult, but believe me, if=20
we go about it in an organized way we can do it.

Regards.

Narain Kataria

_____

#10.

The Hindu
Tuesday, Aug 06, 2002
Open Page

Philology vanished: Frawley's Rigveda - I

[by MICHAEL WITZEL ]
Like all scholarship, Vedic philology is constantly updated, tested=20
and re-examined. Peer review and criticism alone take care of this.=20
Authors of Frawleyan type `innovative' interpretations usually do not=20
carry out a countercheck of other possibilities and of gaps in the=20
evidence, causing severe criticism.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/op/stories/2002080600070200.htm

_____

#11.

The Telegraph

CAMPAIGN-MODE VHP PLANS GODHRA TABLEAU PARADE
OUR CORRESPONDENT

Ahmedabad, Aug. 5:=20
After death by fire, it's time for a fiery design.

The VHP is considering a proposal to design a tableau resembling the=20
burning S-6 coach of the ill-fated Sabarmati Express to parade all=20
over Gujarat in the run-up to the Assembly elections.

VHP state vice-president and spokesman Kaushik Mehta said a decision=20
was yet to be taken, but admitted that the proposal was being=20
seriously considered.

"If the Parishad decides to go ahead with its plan, no one can stop=20
us. Not even the Election Commission. Since we are not a political=20
party, we are not bound by a model code of conduct. We are a=20
cultural-religious organisation and we can make the tableau yatra a=20
part of Hindu awakening," he said.

"Can anybody stop us from taking out sant yatras? Can anybody dare to=20
stop a yajna? The VHP will do all that to awaken Hindus, to tell them=20
the importance of this election," Mehta told The Telegraph.

VHP sources said "highly motivated and dedicated" cadre will swing=20
into action in over 10,000 villages once the outfit's leaders give a=20
call. The single-point objective of the VHP, Mehta said, is to=20
"Hinduise the country's politics".

This is the first time since 1964, when it was floated as a cultural=20
organisation by the Rashtriya Swyamsevak Sangh, that the VHP has=20
decided to openly campaign for the BJP.

But the very nature of the tableau's theme could scuttle the=20
proposal. "It will be unfortunate if the VHP is allowed to go ahead=20
with its highly provocative electioneering plan," senior Congress=20
leader Hasmukh Patel said.

The tableau plan comes after chief minister Narendra Modi's attempts=20
to launch road shows on the Godhra carnage ran into hurdles.

Modi wanted to lead an asthi kalash yatra with the ashes of the=20
Godhra victims in early July, coinciding with the Jagannath rath=20
yatra. But the Centre intervened and asked him to abort the plan,=20
saying it could incite communal passions.

The chief minister again wanted to take out a Gaurav yatra across the=20
state, but that idea was also shelved, fearing an adverse reaction=20
from the Election Commission that was about to decide the election=20
schedule.

The Gaurav rath, designed by students of the National Institute of=20
Design, is now being kept in a farmhouse, awaiting the green light=20
from the BJP high command to roll.

In Delhi, the VHP declared that the Gujarat Assembly polls would be a=20
"vote for Ram bhakts and Godhra martyrs", adds PTI.

VHP international general secretary Praveen Togadia said: "Whenever=20
elections are held, the issue will not be Modi or Vaghela (state=20
Congress chief). People will vote for the Godhra martyrs and Ram=20
bhakts."

The VHP has convened two meetings of over 4,500 office-bearers at=20
Ahmedabad and Limbdi on August 11 to chalk out the strategy for the=20
polls, he said.

"We will be mobilising our workers and launching a religious=20
awareness campaign to expose the role of political parties in the=20
Godhra incident. We will ensure the victory of those who respected=20
Hindu sentiments and expose others," Togadia said.

"Godhra's answer will be given at Gandhinagar," he added.

Asked whether the VHP was working towards a landslide victory for=20
Modi, Togadia said: "More than that."

Togadia said eyewitnesses of the Godhra carnage would tour villages=20
in Gujarat in batches of two and three as part of the "Hindu=20
awareness" programme.

South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996.
To subscribe send a blank message to: