[sacw] SACW | 26 June 02

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:23:20 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire Dispatch | 26 June 2002

South Asia Citizens Web:
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

South Asians Against Nukes:
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex/NoNukes.html

[ This issue of the SACW is dedicated to the memory of Omar Asghar
Khan who died on the 25th of June 2002 in Karachi. ]

__________________________

#1. Pakistan: Omar Asghar Khan - In Rememberance (Pervez Hoodbhoy)
#2. Sri Lankan mothers demand return of missing sons
#3. India: Preaching To The Converted (Anita Pratap)
#4. India: Role of Police in Gujrat Carnage (Asghar Ali Engineer)
#5. India: A Film On The Gujarat Carnage - Screening in Ahmedabad, 26 June
#6. Kalamity For India (I.K.Shukla)
#7. National Convention For Peace, Secularism & Democracy
Gujarat Genocide-Communal Fascism (Bombay, 13-14 July)

__________________________

#1.

[ 25 June 2002]
From: Pervez Hoodbhoy

Subject: Omar Asghar Khan - In Rememberance

Omar's sudden departure is an utterly devastating blow; it is so hard to
believe that this energetic, dynamic man is gone for ever. It does not
matter how he died - whether it was he, or someone else, who took away his
precious life. What matters is how he lived, for what he lived, and what
he did for others. Omar's committment to progressive social change, to
uplifting the poor and down-trodden, and to a better society remained
unchanged in the 20 years that I first met him. He, and the organization
he founded, Sungi, stood up resolutely to hostile mullahs opposed to
education for girls and against the timber mafia in Hazara. As a member of
Pervez Musharraf's cabinet, he was a voice for the the poor and
disenfranchised. Omar's achievements were extraordinary in a society so
hostile to change and forward movement. He succeeded far better than most,
with his unique mix of idealism and pragmatism.

Many of us have their own reasons for being grateful to Omar. He was an
open, caring, and courteous person who I had never seen being rude to
anyone. I am deeply grateful to Omar that he encouraged me to speak and
write about General Zia's fraudulent Islamic science at the peak of that
repressive dictatorship. Months, sometimes years, would go by between the
times that I would see him but he would always meet with the same genuine
warmth and friendliness.

Pakistan is poorer today for having lost one of its best. He leaves behind
many who grieve for him. In deep sorrow.

Pervez Hoodbhoy

_____

#2.

Reuters:

Sri Lankan mothers demand return of missing sons

COLOMBO, June 19 - Mothers from opposite sides of Sri Lanka's 19-year
ethnic war held a joint protest on Wednesday demanding the return of
their missing sons.
Clutching wallet-size photos of young men, many wearing army
camouflage uniforms, and nearly trampling over journalists to tell
their tales, about 200 people braved the muggy June day to gather
outside the capital Colombo's train station.
''Tears are the only thing this damn war has brought us,'' Visaka
Dharmadasa, mother of a government soldier who disappeared in 1998,
said as elderly women shouted out names and identification numbers of
their children.
''Tears of the mothers of Jaffna are no different from the tears of
mothers in Hambantota,'' she said about two regions in the country,
one in the extreme north and the other in the extreme south.
A joint demonstration was possible because the government and the
Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE), fighting since 1983 for an
ethnic minority state in the island's north and east, signed a truce
in February to halt all fighting.
Though both sides say they are upholding the ceasefire agreement,
unresolved issues such as missing and disappeared people have delayed
the start of face-to-face peace talks expected this summer in
Thailand.

MOTHERS' HOPE

Ethnic majority Sinhalese mothers from the south, like Dharmadasa,
demanded to know the whereabouts of their soldier sons.
There are no accurate estimates for possible army prisoners of war
and the LTTE have said they have only seven prisoners.
''A mother has to know that her son is living. Yes living, even in
the darkest cell,'' said a banner next to 65-year-old W.V. Asilinona.
Dabbing her large brown eyes with the fall of her white sari,
Asilinona said she and her husband came to urge the government to ask
the LTTE about her two sons, one lost in 1998 and one in 2000.
''I have only one daughter left,'' she said. ''I don't know where my
sons are, but I still believe they are alive.''
Northern ethnic Tamil parents wanted information about their
children, mostly sons, who they suspect were arrested by the
government on suspicion of fighting or spying for the LTTE.
''We have been waiting for years for our beloved children who have
befallen to this fate either when engaged on call of duty to the
nation or were arrested,'' the mothers said in a joint statement.
Human rights lawyers say about 1,000 people, mostly Tamils, languish
in prisons under the Prevention of Terrorism Act without being
formally charged.
London-based human rights group Amnesty International travelled to
rebel headquarters in the Wanni on Wednesday to meet LTTE leaders and
plan to also discuss human rights issues, including arrests, with
government officials next week.
''The current ceasefire and imminent peace talks offer both sides a
real opportunity to put human rights squarely on the agenda,'' Ingrid
Massage, the group's country analyst, said in a statement.

Copyright 2002 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the
prior written consent of Reuters.

_____

#3.

Outlook Magazine | Jul 01, 2002
IMPRESSIONS

Preaching To The Converted
They take pride in having Abdul Kalam as the president. Only BJP
supporters believe this "masterstroke" will atone for their sins.
ANITA PRATAP

The BJP is good at spinning theories, but lousy at predicting their
outcome. They bragged nuclear bombs would bring an era of nuclear
deterrence, lasting peace in the region and global recognition of
India's new might. Instead, we find ourselves scurrying under a
mushroom cloud. Forget peace, our region has never looked more
unstable and dangerous. The nuclear bomb did not deter Pakistan from
flagrantly intruding into Kargil in 1999. Instead, it deterred us
from using our conventional superiority to lethal effect. We are
hamstrung now because we are victims of nuclear blackmail. Far from
winning global respect, we arouse consternation and panic. For the
first time, we proud Indians have to witness the shame of foreigners
departing because our country is no longer safe. This ancient and
peaceful civilisation, this land of Buddha, Asoka and Gandhi, is
almost like a volatile nation in Africa or Latin America from where
foreigners and capital periodically flee. Let's not forget in 1987,
when also Indian and Pakistani armies had an eyeball-to-eyeball
confrontation along the border, foreigners didn't flee.
We've seen how counterproductive the nuclear bomb has been. We cannot
allow ourselves to go through a war now to see how counterproductive
the BJP's theories on war are. Common sense tells us war is
disastrous. And this we knew before reading chilling media reports
that Pakistan's nuclear doctrine is more focused than ours, that
India's conventional military superiority is not what it's cracked up
to be and that army leaders have warned in private that even a
surgical strike in PoK can fail dangerously. Israelis and Americans
are learning that even successful wars on terrorism can't stop
suicide bombers in Jerusalem or Karachi. Only vigorous internal
vigilance, and not war, can safeguard nations from terrorist attacks.
The war threat, coming as it did after the Gujarat carnage, has
damaged India's reputation as nothing before ever has. So much for
the BJP's garbled theories. The tragedy is that India suffers this
shame and indignity just when it was soaring in global recognition.
India was seen as a mature, stable, peaceful democracy with
tremendous economic potential. Relations between India and the world
faltered after the nuclear bomb, but the software revolution, the
continuity of policies by successive prime ministers and India's
inherent strengths as a vibrant, slightly-chaotic-but-functioning
democracy, convinced foreigners about her potential. Assuming the BJP
could not fundamentally alter the nation, the west continued to woo
India. And so the BJP reaped the benefits, though they were by no
means the architects of India's improving status in the world.
But in the last six months, the BJP has severely damaged India's
reputation. The reason is obvious: instead of being guided by its NDA
partners, they are noseled by their hardliners, VHP and Bajrang Dal.
In doing so, they are loosening the very nuts and bolts that keep our
nationhood intact. Two principles have kept India united, rich and
vibrant: democracy and multi-culturalism. You undermine or damage
these two principles and India begins to unravel. Gujarat is a
classic example. The danger is that these two principles are anathema
to the VHP and Bajrang Dal, wedded as they are to fascism and
exclusive jingoism. Their hate pamphlets against Muslims prove they
suffer from persecution complex and paranoid delusions. The trouble
with this condition is that you cannot change their mind even if you
give ample proof to the contrary. The disaster is that the BJP is
institutionalising their brand of politics in our national life.
Topping this is their shameless disregard for what is ethical, decent
and honourable. Despite nationwide outrage, and even the PM's
admonishments, Narendra Modi's still in power.This lack of
accountability, this remorselessness is unprecedented in Indian
public life.

And then they pride themselves about their genius in having Abdul
Kalam as president! But they preach to the converted. Only BJP
supporters can believe this "masterstroke" will atone for their sins,
appease the anguished Muslims and is guided by lofty ideals and not
cynical, cold-blooded opportunism. This kind of tokenism will not
impress the people it is meant to impress. We are also seeing the
invasion of fascist functioning into the corridors of power,
curtailing our fundamental freedoms. The Gujarat ias lobby had to
cancel its meeting. People with dissenting and divergent points of
view-an absolute necessity in a multi-cultural democracy-are branded,
vilified and persecuted as "leftists", "pseudo-secularists" or
"anti-nationals".
The question is how are they able to get away with these patently
wrong, unfair and unethical manipulations-especially when civil
society has ratcheted public awareness and when the main opposition
party rules 14 states. The problem is Sonia Gandhi is diffident about
leading this fight because she feels defensive as a Christian and a
foreigner. Also, officials in key positions, even while they
disapprove of this subversion of democratic, pluralistic style of
functioning, are disinclined to court trouble, dare not risk losing
their jobs. Big business leaders who have the clout to protest prefer
to kowtow or turn ostrich. And that alone demonstrates the growing
stranglehold of these fascist forces on the levers of power. As the
history of Nazi Germany shows, disaster rumbles in when citizens
refuse to see the peril, let alone act against it. Each one thinks of
his self-interest and thus they collectively slide into hell. When a
Tarun Tejpal or an Anand Patwardhan is victimised, people abandon
these voices of conscience to their fates lest they invite reprisals
upon themselves. As the old saying goes, harm is done not by the
deeds of the evil, but by the silence of the good. Only fearless
intervention by influential, liberal Hindus can save India from the
ruinous clutches of Hindutva.

_____

#4.

ROLE OF POLICE IN GUJRAT CARNAGE
Asghar Ali Engineer

(Secular Perspective, June 16-30,2002)

The role of police in communal riots in general and in Gujrat riots
in particular has been far from desirable. I have been investigating
communal riots in India since Jabalpur riot of 1962. The Jabalpur
riot was such in magnitude that it had shaken Jawaharlal Nehru who
had secular vision of India. The role of police in Jabalpur riots was
quite shocking. Apart from helping the rioters the SRP men were
accused of snatching gold bangles and mangalsutra from the necks of
women. They gate crashed into houses of riot victims and beat up
women and took away whatever they could lay their hands upon. As it
was my first investigation of communal violence I could not believe
that the police could do all this. It was unbelievable indeed.

After Jabalpur, riot after riot I saw the role of police, which was
strongly biased against minorities. In Meerut riots twice I witnessed
role of police: in 1982 and 1987. In both these riots the role of PAC
was worse than that of rioters. In 1982 Meerut riots the PAC killed
at point blank the only son of one Dr. Shabbir and had him load his
dead body on the truck. The PAC also destroyed Dr. Shabbir's
dispensary completely. The same force killed several others who were
hiding in their houses. Some women told me they had hidden their
husbands in large trunks and they were pulled out of them and shot.
Justice Krishna Iyer also visited Meerut after this incident and was
so shocked at the behaviour of PAC that he wrote an open letter to
Mrs. Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, urging upon her
to hold an inquiry into the role of the PAC.

Then again PAC repeated its role in Meerut riots of 1987. The PAC
commandant Mr. Tripathi was accused of having pulled out 23 young
boys from their houses in Hashimpura loaded them on a truck, took
them near a canal outside the city, shot them dead and threw their
bodies in the canal. Two boys miraculously survived to tell the tale.
Again nothing happened. It was few years after the incident that FIR
was recorded during chief ministership of Mulayamsingh Yadav. But
nothing again moved beyond recording the FIR.

The role of police during Mumbai riots of 1992-93 came under severe
criticism by various NGOs and above all by Srikirshna Commission,
which named 32 officers as guilty of anti-minority bias and also Mr.
Tewari, a high police official was accused of being instrumental in
killing some young Muslim boys in Suleman Bakery, near Minara Masjid.
The authorities took no action and Tewari was symbolically arrested
and released immediately after great deal of criticism by human
rights activists.

All this is bad enough and sufficient to shake minorities' confidence
in the police. The same story repeated in Gujrat carnage after the
Godhra incident of 27th February 2002. Again the police in Gujrat
aided and abetted the rioters. This time the role of IAS officers
also came under severe criticism. Harsh Mandar, an IAS officer of
M.P. cadre working in Gujrat with Actionaid India at a time was so
enraged by the role of IAS officers of Gujrat and their total
surrender to the political authorities that he did not think it fit
to continue in such service and he resigned in sheer disgust. Harsh
Mandar wrote in his article, "Numbed with disgust and horror, I
return from Gujrat ten days after the terror and massacre that
convulsed the state. My heart is sickened, my soul wearied, my
shoulders aching with the burden of shame and guilt." He further
writes, "The unconscionable failures and active connivance of the
state police and administrative machinery is also now widely
acknowledged. The police is known to have misguided people straight
into the hands of rioting mobs. They provided protective shields to
crowds bent upon pillage, arson, rape and murder and were deaf to the
pleas of these disparate Muslim victims, many of them women and
children. There have been many reports of police firing directly
mostly at the minority community, which was target of most of the mob
violence."

It is not Harsh Mandar alone who writes about such role of the police
in Gujrat carnage. Several others including some top police officials
themselves have also condemned the police for what it did in Gujrat.
Mr. Julio Reibero, ex-Director General of police, Maharashtra, even
called them "eunuchs" for having attacked helpless people including
old men, women and children.

Even after riots the police were not recording correct FIRS either
under pressure from political authorities or because of their own
communal leanings. Mr. Ribeiro told Times of India in an interview,
"Apart from the usual complaints of inaction, people said that police
were recording absolutely incorrect FIRs. I met a respectable Hindu
gentleman who said that the police did not take down the names of the
rioters he had seen and wrote that it was a group of unidentified
people. If people who have seen their mothers and sisters raped and
burnt before their eyes have no hope of getting justice they will all
turn into terrorists." And then Ribeiro asks " Why are we talking
about ISI and Pakistan when we are doing their job for them by
creating terrorists."

Another top police officer Vibhuti Narayan Rai, now Inspector General
of Police in U.P. who has handled several riot situations maintains
that "any riot can be controlled in 24 hours if the administration
wants to." According to a Times of India report, Mr. Vibhuti Narain
Rai has written letters to all IPS officers in the wake of Gujrat
violence saying that the police should not blame inadequate equipment
and manpower for their failure. Large scale rioting can be checked
even with such problems." Mr. Rai also said that it is essential that
the police should be seen to be objective that's what sends the right
message to the people.

In every riot police also indulges in revenge killing once its man is
injured or killed. It goes totally berserk once a policeman is hit.
It happened in Deonar area of Mumbai during 1992-93 riots after a
policeman was killed by unknown people. Several young Muslim boys had
to pay with their lives. It was only a senior and upright police
officer like Mr. Pawar who brought the situation under control. Same
thing happened in Ahmedabad on 2nd April during Gujrat violence.

When a policeman Mr. Amar Rao Patel was killed the police fired in
revenge and 10 persons including two women died and 14 were injured.
Angry residents of Patel ki Chawli and Modi ki Chawli where seven
persons were killed alleged that police was on revenge spree. The
residents said there was nothing happening at the Patel ki Chawli
which is one and half kilometre from where the police constable was
killed. Nothing had happened there since February 28 and no violence
had taken place there even before the police fired and killed 10
persons.

The police had its own version, of course. Inspector R.B.Parmar
maintained that soft policing can not control a rioting mob. If a
woman is injured it could be a stray incident or she could also be a
part of rioting mob. Whatever the explanation firing was in excess
and disproportionate to the violence by mob.

Is entire police force to be condemned? Though in riot after riot
police does kill and arrest innocent citizens one cannot condemn
entire force. There are officers who are unbiased and committed to
professional handling of riot situations. Persons like Ribeiro and
V.N.Rai, both top police officers are themselves good example of such
people in the force. And there are many more such committed officers.
Even in Gujrat we found many such officers during our investigations.
Some officers handled the situation quite professionally but they
were, unfortunately, not given free hand by the political bosses,
particularly Narendra Modi. Such officers were instantly transferred
and these transfers were either described as 'routine' or
'promotions'. It was more a culpability of political bosses than lack
of professionalism among these officers.

There are number of factors which must be taken into account.
Sometimes, nay more often, honest officers lack courage and do not
act according to the rule book and surrender to the will of political
bosses. Some who do get immediately transferred and they become
ineffective anyway. But in Gujrat most of the top officers just
surrendered meekly before the politicians with few honourable
exceptions. I met one Additional Commissioner of police who did not
allow riot to take place in his area and was immediately transferred
to an administrative job in police headquarters in Ahmedabad.

The police force is deeply infected with communalism and casteism at
the level of junior officers and especially at constabulary level and
it is constabulary which handles the ground situation. There is great
need to disinfect constabulary and ranks of junior officers through
reorienting courses. There is no thorough training in secularism at
this level. I have conducted many police workshops and have seen the
effects of such reorienting courses on the minds of junior officers
and constabulary. Some top police officers in Maharashtra where I
have conducted these workshops realise the importance of such
workshops and co-operate in organising more and more of them. Such
workshops are necessary in all the states.

As for top police officer what is needed is proper transfer and
promotion policy. Transfers should not at all depend on whims and
fancy of politicians. They have their own agenda and are not always
committed to the rule of law. As recommended by the fifth Police
Commission the transfers should be effected by a committee comprising
Chief minister, leader of Opposition, D.G. of police and some eminent
citizens. Such a transfer and promotion policy would reassure honest
and professionally guided police officers and they will be able to do
their job well despite pressures from political bosses.

There is also great need for changing the very model of policing. Our
policing is still on the model of British colonial rulers. It has to
change to democratic model from colonial model. If proper transfer
policies are not evolved politicisation of police will continue to
take place and this is disastrous from policing point of view. This
is precisely what happened in Gujrat carnage. Some top officers were
politicised and hence they did not handle the situation
professionally and those who did got transferred most arbitrarily.

(Centre for Study of Society and Secularism, Mumbai:- 400 055.)

_____

#5.

A FILM ON THE GUJARAT CARNAGE

Title: Junu ke Badhte Qadam (Evil Stalks the Land)

Producer : Gauhar Raza

Duration: 38 minutes

On: Wednesday, 26th June,2002

Time of the screening: 5:00 pm

Venue: Prashant

Nr . Kamdhenu Hall.

Drive -in Road, Ahmedabad 380 052

(Tel 7449744 /7455913/2199318)

The film on Gujarat carnage is based on the interviews of the
victims, activists and the experts who have experienced the carnage
and trauma during the recent period i.e. after Feb. 28 2002.

The film in the initial sections deals with the history of communal
forces in the country who had conceived of a fascist India as far
back as 1939. These communal forces have meticulously worked towards
realizing their aims during the past 70 year.

The footage shot at places such as Narodapatiya, Shahalam Camp,
Gomtipur, Chartoda Kabrastan, Aman Chowk, etc has been used to drive
the depth and enormity of the violence perpetrated during the
carnage. The film was shot after forty days of the destruction and
attack.

The film has already been screened in Delhi, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh,
Maharashtra, Goa, Orissa, and Kerala.

Gauhar Raza-is a scientist, poet and documentary maker.

_____

#6.

25 Jun 2002 04:53:38 +0000

KALAMITY FOR INDIA
I.K.Shukla

Disgrace and disaster seem to be settling in as India's destiny. The
shame of proliferating scandals and the unending trail of tragedy
have already turned India into a hall of horrors and an inferno for
the minorities. India during its post-'47 phase was never universally
seen to be so degenerate and despicable in the international comity
as it is now. Having admitted a fascist party to the portals of its
polity, India should have foreseen the demise of democracy as a
logical outcome.

BJP pulled a fast one on the Opposition, Congress-I in particular.
That Samajwadi Party too fell in its trawl is a tribute to BJP's
seasoned cunning and commitment to a totally unscrupulous politics.
That the NDA's "secular" allies were treated as less than poodles is
a stigma to the poodles not the partners.
Mayawati had been successfully recruited in UP to further the BJP
agenda. She had those beaten and jailed in Faizabad who had gathered
to commemmorate the heroes of 1857. Mulayam promptly followed suit at
the Centre. He may end up similarly rewarded.

To cover up the Gujarat genocide of Muslims and continue the
India-wide carnage against minorities steadily and stubbornly, to win
the Assembly elections in that graveyard of Hinduism through illicit
means and quotidian tyranny, to prove that minorities voting others
and not saffronazis to power would forfeit their life, BJP needed a
political dummy on Raisina Hill. It had one handy in A. Kalam, doctor
honoris causa, whom it had selected four years ago for being a
"model" Muslim. In a number of ways Kalam gave proof that he was
willing to be used. He landed the presidency as a reward for his
political innocence, to put it mildly. But he has imperilled gravely
not only the India minorities but much else besides. He is an ill
omen.

His ascent to presidency should be seen as paving the way for the
evil designs that Hindutva would execute with impunity.

Two events would suffice to illuminate the blueprint of its dark
chamber of skull and bones. One, Katiyar, of very unsavory Bajrangi
reputation in Faizabad-Ayodhya, has been appointed BJP chief in UP.
It means social turmoil will roil UP in a major way. It is calculated
to win Hindu votes towards BJP's poll victory prospectively. Two, a
container of relief goods and medicines marked for Muslim victims of
Gujarat pogroms shipped from Canada, docked in Bombay since May 25,
is being denied clearance under this or that rule. Recall, Anand's
film Jang aur Aman being similarly (mis)treated.

It is for this overall preparation of inducting Hindu Rashtra through
walls of fire and rivers of blood that "reliable" persons are needed.

One is Katiyar, the other is Kalam. They fill well the BJP bill of
qualifications. At one level they share something. Katiyar knows
nothing except politics of crime. Kalam knows nothing except
technology.
As a pliant bureaucrat he may outdo Katiyar in being useful to BJP.

A sidebar: The earthquake relief, that poured from all over, swelled
the coffers of HinduNazis; some lucky ones bought and built second
and third houses. The swayamsewaks (self-servers) did well for
themselves as they alone can do. Not for nothing are they known as
Rashtra Sanharak Sangh (Destroyers of the Nation, Inc.) and Rashtriya
Shatru Sangh (Enemies of the Nation, Inc.).

_____

#7.

--

South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996.