[sacw] SACW (11-12 July 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 16:50:42 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire
11-12 July 2001
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

[SACW extends its best wishes and solidarity to all participants of=20
the Pakistan-India People's Solidarity Conference being held on July=20
12 in New Delhi !!!]

[1.] Pakistan-India People's Solidarity Conference (New Delhi)
[2.]Sri Lanka: Checkpoint Rape
[3.] India: Attack on HIV/AIDS organisations Under Attack in Lucknow
[4.] India: Rainbow Publishers

#1.

Pakistan-India People's Solidarity Conference on July 12.

Dear Friends,

As you are aware, a number of NGOs and citizens=92 groups in India and
Pakistan have over the past few years taken the initiative to promote
India-Pakistan rapprochement and closer people-to-people contacts. Most
of these groups consist of scholars, professionals, artistes,
journalists, scientists, and other members of the liberal intelligentsia.

In conjunction with the Vajpayee-Musharraf summit, several of these
groups decided to hold a Pakistan-India People's Solidarity Conference
on July 12. These include the Coalition for Nuclear Disarmament and
Peace (a platform for some 200 organisations across India),
Pakistan-India People's Forum for Peace and Democracy, Women's
Initiative for Peace in South Asia, Centre for Dialogue and
Reconciliation and the Pakistan Peace Coalition. The Conference is being
held to strengthen the rationale for rapprochement and
peace, and promote greater cooperation and civil society interaction,
while welcoming the Musharraf-Vajpayee meeting. We expect roughly 150
participants, including about 40 from Pakistan.

Many of the participants are high-profile personalities who have been
involved in peace efforts for decades. Some can probably take credit for
creating the conditions that have enabled the official Summit. They
include Admiral L. Ramdas, Nirmala Deshpande, Kuldip Nayar, Rajmohan
Gandhi, from India and Asma Jehangir, IA Rahman and Karamat Ali from=20
Pakistan. The conference
has also been endorsed by numerous civil society groups from all over=20
South Asia.

We are expecting messages of support from Nobel Peace Prize winners like
the Dalai Lama, Nelson Mandela and Jose Ramos Horta, Nobel Laureate
Amartya Sen and Booker Prize winner Arundhati Roy.

I have attached the draft of our joint declaration so you have some idea
of the conference's aims and objectives. This will be made public at the
end of the day's proceedings. Please let us know as soon as possible
whether your organisation will be participating and/or endorsing the
declaration. Please also circulate this message to colleagues at=20
other organisations

[...]
with warmest regards,

sonia jabbar

The Pakistan-India People's Solidarity Conference / New Delhi, July 12, 200=
1
(Draft statement)

I. Preamble:

For over half a century now, the people of India and Pakistan have=20
borne the burden of hostilities between the two States. We, the=20
representatives of numerous civil society groups which have=20
endeavoured for years to reform relations between India and Pakistan,=20
welcome the Summit between General Pervez Musharraf and Prime=20
Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee and urge that they seriously engage in=20
a sustained dialogue. The resources of the two countries must be=20
transferred from bombs to books, from submarines to schools, from=20
missiles to medicines, from frigates to food, from runways for=20
bombers to railroads for people. The two leaders must also pledge to=20
eliminate the terrifying nuclear menace that threatens the people of=20
the entire South Asia region.

***
II. The Pakistan-India People=92s Solidarity Conference has identified=20
and arrived at an agreement on three major areas of concern between=20
the two countries, which we feel need to be addressed at the Agra=20
Summit. These are as follows:

Nuclear Weapons
The nuclear weapons programmes of India and Pakistan have heightened=20
mutual tensions and placed the entire South Asian region in grave=20
danger. The two countries must move towards complete dismantlement of=20
their nuclear weapons and associated systems and return to the global=20
agenda for disarmament.

Democracy
We affirm that peace, democracy and justice are indivisible.=20
Hostilities between India and Pakistan have dangerously fuelled=20
religious fundamentalisms and national chauvinisms. The support=20
extended to these forces by the Indian and Pakistani States seriously=20
undermine democracy, the rights of the minorities and women, and=20
threaten intellectual freedom and free speech. We call for the=20
restoration of democracy in Pakistan. We also call for the=20
strengthening of democracy in all parts of India. These acts are=20
crucial for a lasting peace between the two countries. We call on the=20
two leaders to recognise that today=92s needs and tomorrow=92s great=20
possibilities are more important than yesterday=92s sad injuries, and=20
that old mindsets need to change with the times.

Kashmir
For fifty-four years the governments of India and Pakistan have not=20
only failed to resolve the Kashmir dispute, but have also been=20
responsible for grave Human Rights violations. Let all sides reflect=20
upon the tremendous suffering in Jammu and Kashmir caused by the=20
denial of political, social, economic and human rights by India and=20
Pakistan. The Agra Summit should focus attention on the plight of=20
the widows, the orphans, the bodily wounded, the psychologically=20
traumatised, the socially ostracised, and the physically=20
uprooted=97irrespective of religious, ethnic or political background.

The Kashmir issue is not only a territorial dispute between the two=20
States but involves the people of Jammu and Kashmir. Therefore, a=20
just and democratic resolution of the Kashmir dispute demands the=20
involvement of the people on both sides of the LoC in a non-sectarian=20
solution. A Kashmir solution can work only in the atmosphere of=20
Pakistan-India friendship, which this Summit must guarantee.

III. We call on the two governments to:

1. Withdraw all draconian laws in both countries that violate Human Rights=
.

2. Allow free movement of people between the two countries, and=20
remove travel and visa restrictions, including police reporting.

3. Withdraw the order for prior Government permission and clearance=20
to hold international meetings, conferences, seminars and workshops.

4. Lift restrictions on exchange of newspapers, magazines and journals, etc=
.

5. Normalise cultural and trade relations between the two countries.

6. Cease hostilities with immediate effect in Kashmir, initiate the=20
process of disengagement of armed forces, and terminate support to=20
armed groups, both State and non-State.

7. Commit to a Nuclear Freeze. This would entail no further nuclear=20
testing, no development, deployment and induction of nuclear weapons,=20
and no further efforts towards the setting up of Command and Control=20
systems.
8. Agree to a mutual reduction in the armed forces, and utilise the=20
freed resources for meeting the people=92s social and economic needs.=20
Both governments should also commit themselves to a time-bound=20
programme for the systematic reduction of military spending, both=20
direct and indirect.

________

2.

The Island (Colombo)
Wednesday 11 July 2001

Cat's Eye
Checkpoint Rape

Three reserve police constables were arrested recently on allegations of
raping a Tamil woman from Badulla who was employed in Colombo. A soldier is
also suspected of being involved in this heinous crime. The police officers
had first noted their victim while manning a checkpoint at the
Borella-Maradana border and had abused their authority to not only obtain
their victim's address but to also visit her lodgings the next day (at 3 in
the morning) and summarily take her away on the pretext that they wished to
question her further (according to a communique from the Home for Human
Rights, a male co-worker residing at the same lodgings had accompanied the
victim but had been sent away to 'fetch tea' when they reached the
checkpoint). The bold tactics these officers adopted highlights quite
terrifyingly how vulnerable Tamil citizens, and especially Tamil women
citizens, are in Sri Lanka.
This incident also reminds us once again of the brutal rape and murder of
schoolgirl Krishanthy Kumaraswamy, at the Chemmany checkpoint in Jaffna, in
September 1996. Her mother, brother and a neighbour who commenced a search
for her were also abducted and murdered. Cat's Eye has devoted several
columns to this tragic case over the years, reporting on the protests
launched by feminist and human rights groups, and commenting the hearing th=
at
took place and the death sentences that were handed down.

Koneswary

This incident also reminds us of the alleged rape and murder of
Murugesapillai Koneswary of Samandhurai division, Eastern Province, in May
1997. Mrs. Koneswary was constantly harassed at the Central Camp checkpoint
which is on the border of Amparai Batticaloa district. On the afternoon of
May 17 1997, Mrs. Koneswary was verbally assaulted and sexually harassed by
four police officers at this checkpoint and defended herself by shouting at
the officers and demanding that they leave her alone. At 11pm that same day=
,
an unknown number of armed men entered her home and by 11.30pm, she was dea=
d.
Reportedly, she died instantly when a hand grenade was exploded on her
abdomen.
It is understood that the grenade was used to destroy evidence of gang rape=
.
Cat's Eye, once again, was at the forefront of the subsequent protest
campaign that was launched to condemn this brutal act and to demand that th=
state curtail the abuses of power by its armed forces.
This incident also reminds us of the daily verbal and sexual harassment tha=
Tamil women go through at checkpoints all over the country. A yelled comman=
d,
a lewd comment, a sly touch are not things that are ever reported in our
newspapers, but they can nevertheless leave their imprint of fear, loathing
and anguish for the rest of one's life. Ten years ago, some of these women
who are thus abused may have screwed up their courage to reprimand the
security personnel or to lodge a complaint with a higher authority, but tod=
ay
they are too intimidated and terrified. As Tamils, they always teeter on th=
cusp of being labelled a 'Tiger' in retaliation, as women, they always
teeter on the cusp of being 'punished' with rape - remember Murugesapillai
Koneswary. Each time these women go through a checkpoint - and one has to d=
so more than five times a day at least - they die a little.
While Cat's Eye commends the state for arresting the perpetrators of this
most recent violence against a Tamil woman, we also wish to point out, as w=
have done so before? that such arrests only address the tip of the iceberg =
of
extensive human rights violations that are carried out by members of the
armed forces, the police and others empowered by the state to bear arms.
Militarization often becomes both the means of and justification for
broadening the arena of risk to women's physical and mental integrity, the
reasons for militarizing itself notwithstanding.
[...] .

________

3.

Dear Friends,
Posted below is an account on the outrageous crackdown by the agents=20
of the Homophobic Indian state on citizens groups working on Aids=20
prevention & outreach with HIV positive people in Lucknow
Also attached are press reports which horrendously misreport these=20
organisations.

We should express our solidarity and support to people from NAZ=20
Foundation India. Their e-mail address is: <nazindia@b...>

In Solidarity
Harsh Kapoor
(South Asia Citizens Wire)