[sacw] SACW | 23 May 01

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 23 May 2001 07:34:57 +0200

South Asia Citizens Wire

----------------------------------

#1. Support for Bangladesh female franchise
#2. Anti World Bank protest by NGO's in Pakistan
#3. Comment on Praful bidwai's article on recent elections in India
#4. Yellow badge of humiliation: Taliban's apartheid against Afghan Hindus
#5. Confessed RSS killer makes it to NCERT
#6. Fear of the poor
#7. Bhopal survivors regroup against new foe

-----------------------------------

#1.

BBC News Online: World: South Asia
Tuesday, 22 May, 2001, 14:58 GMT 15:58 UK

Support for Bangladesh female franchise

By Lipika Pelham

Bangladesh's election commission has said that women voters must be allowed
to exercise their constitutional right to vote in
forthcoming general elections.

The move came after an investigation into reports that women in rural
Bangladesh are often prevented from casting their votes by
Islamic religious edicts known as fatwa.

The chief election commissioner, M A Sayed, said that tough action would be
taken so that all eligible women were enrolled as voters.

Earlier this year the commission said it had launched an investigation
following newspaper reports that for 85 years, thousands of
women in 12 Bangladeshi villages had been barred from voting in any
elections by fatwa imposed by hardline Islamic groups.

Punishments

Despite a landmark ruling earlier this year by the high court that such
religious edicts were illegal, Islamic clerics in rural Bangladesh
often impose fatwas, and almost always they are against women.

Severe punishments including flogging and stoning are reported to have been
carried out against those who defy the clerics' orders.

Last week a number of leading women rights groups met the election
commission and demanded an end to what they said was a
political culture which stopped women from making use of their
constitutional rights.

Election commission officials said they would consider a demand by civil
rights groups to disqualify candidates in the next general
election who oppose equal political rights for women.

_____

#2.

Revolt Against World Bank Rule

At last Pakistan is in action against the world bank and its policies. The
silence broke when a number of
organizations which were invited for the consultation on Country Assistance
Strategy (CAS). A large number of people from trade unions and civil society
members gathered around the meeting hall in National Institute of Public
Administration (NIPA) and blocked the way of the World Bank delegation to
the meeting hall. It was only first time when such activity was initiated
against any financial institution in the country.
The same delegation also got resentment by the hands of the organizations
when they were in Karachi three days before. The members of the different
organizations boycotted the meetings at both Karachi and Lahore. They also
passed a resolution and insisted the Bank officials to respond on the
resolution before any further consultation on the new initiatives of the
Bank.
Addressing the protesters, Prise President, Shoaib Bhatti said the activists
have launched a brave struggle to get rid of International Financial
Institutions like World Bank and IMF. He said that short-sighted policies of
the Bank had destroyed the economic infrastructure of the country and it was
the prime time to break the shackles.
Malick Shahbaz Ahmad Tahir urged the people to wake up from deep slumber and
heed to the alarming bells which are real cause of concern. He said that the
World Bank's policies had aggravated poverty in the country and were leading
the nation to a blind alley from there was no return.
Indeed it was the chain of reaction against the IFIs which started from
Seattle and Prague and it was the first such reaction in Pakistan.
The resolution was read as:
"We recognize the key role of the Pakistan decision -makers and the
implementers in the economic crisis facing us to day. Nevertheless-and not
with standing rhetoric to the contrary- we believe the policies promoted by
the World Bank have not helped Pakistan society deal with the crises.
Instead the bank policies have contributed to and greatly aggravated the
crises. Hence our reservation about entering a dialogue with the World Bank.

The record of the World Bank and the IMF economic policies and the pressure
that have increased poverty and deprivation particularly amongst the most
vulnerable sections of effected countries: women and children. This include
Structural Adjustment Program and the conditionalities that make every thing
dependent on the market mechanism (e.g. withdrawal of subsidies and "market
adjusted" utility charges)

The lack of transparency in preparing and implementing policies - including
the present consultation process where the criteria for being consulted is
unknown. The World Bank policies of not revealing the country assistance
strategy (CAS) to citizens without prior approval of the Government,
especially since it is the citizens who are made to bear the costs of the
loans.

The history of failed projects that the bank so far does not even
acknowledge, much less examine, and learn from.

The current push for a corporatization of farming that will encourage the
introduction of multi-national corporations, destroy our indigenous seeds
and the agriculture basis and wipe out the livelihood of million of more
small farmer.

The continuing drive for the privatization, including

Privatisation of the fundamental essentials to life, most importantly water
without which life itself is not possible, and

Essential sectors such as health and education that have been provided to
their citizens by the state in virtually all developed countries.
To promote good governance (the World Bank's stated aim) and to make a
dialogue meaningful requires the following:

The procedures, principles and framework for dialogue are mutually decided
upon by those involved;

Consultations are initiated at the beginning of planning; involve a wide
audience and the outcomes of dialogue are shared with all concerned;

All actions are transparent and, for example, negotiations and agreements
between the Bank (and other financial institutions) and the Government of
Pakistan are made public

With respect to planning, future planning (and consultations for this) can
only be meaningful when it is premised on an honest review and analysis of
past failures as well as successes. Before planning it would be appropriate
for the World Bank to review why poverty doubled from 17.3% in 1988-89 to
32.6% of the population in 1998-99 during precisely the period when
Structural Adjustment Programs were in place. Equally, we would like to know
why the Social Action Program II was introduced when SAP I had already been
proved a failure given is huge expenditures and very modest achievements.

Finally, we strongly believe that the burden of debt and debt servicing has
reached a magnitude that obliterate any possibility of development in
Pakistan, and that there can be no discussion on future development
assistance without first negotiating and settling the question of debt -
relief/cancellation."
Shoaib Bhatti
PRISE
The organization may be contacted for further information on the World Bank
Boycott in Pakistan at prise@l...

____

#3.