[sacw] SACW (31 July 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 03:44:16 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

[1.] PAKISTAN: CPJ Urges Inquiry in Afridi Case
[2.] SRI LANKA: Cross section of civil society expresses grave concern
[3.] INDIA: The Young Ambassadors from across the Border
[4.] JAMMU & KASHMIR: A trek through Doda in times of strife
[5.] INDIA: Sangh Parivar - Between power and politics
[6.] INDIA: Mosque demolished by mob of hoodlums & a temple built in=20
its place in Rajasthan

#1.

July 30, 2001

Committee to Protect Journalists
330 Seventh Avenue -- 12th floor
New York, NY 10001

His Excellency Gen. Pervez Musharraf
President, Islamic Republic of Pakistan
Islamabad, Pakistan

Via Facsimile: 92-51-922-4206

Your Excellency:

The Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) is concerned that the prosecutio=
on drug charges of Rehmat Shah Afridi, owner and chief editor of the
English-language newspaper The Frontier Post and the Urdu daily Maidan, may
be politically motivated. On June 27, a special anti-narcotics court in
Lahore convicted Afridi on drug smuggling charges and sentenced him to
death.

Several well-respected journalists in Pakistan have told CPJ they believe
that the exceptionally harsh punishment is due in part to The Frontier
Post's history of publishing controversial stories, often attacking the
country's political establishment.

Afridi has been imprisoned since April 2, 1999, when agents from Pakistan's
Anti-Narcotics Force (ANF) arrested him in a predawn sting operation in
Lahore. The ANF claims the agents found 21 kilograms of hashish in Afridi's
car and later recovered 651 kilograms of hashish in a truck allegedly owned
by him. Afridi has repeatedly denied the charges and says he has been
framed.

Journalists have noted that Afridi's arrest followed a series of articles
published by The Frontier Post accusing ANF officers of involvement in the
drug trade.

As an organization of journalists dedicated to the defense of press freedom
worldwide, CPJ does not take any position on Rehmat Shah Afridi's guilt or
innocence on drug charges. However, we believe that the widespread
perception among Pakistani journalists that his prosecution is politically
motivated and unjust merits serious attention.

Ignoring these doubts would likely lead to greater self-censorship on the
part of the local media, thereby further eroding press freedom conditions.
Journalists must be free to publish critical reports on all government
agencies, including the Anti-Narcotics Force, without fear of reprisal.

CPJ urges Your Excellency to appoint a special committee, including senior
journalists and legal experts, to investigate possible improprieties in
Afridi's arrest and prosecution. We ask that the panel's findings be
released publicly and look forward to the results of this inquiry.

We thank you for your attention to this urgent matter, and await your
response.

Sincerely,
Ann K. Cooper
Executive Director

cc:
Maleeha Lodhi, Pakistani Ambassador to the U.S.
Wendy Chamberlain, U.S. Ambassador to Pakistan
Khyber Union of Journalists, Peshawar
Pakistan Press Foundation
South Asian Journalists Association
American Society of Newspaper Editors
Amnesty International
Article 19 (United Kingdom)
Artikel 19 (The Netherlands)
Canadian Journalists for Free Expression
Lorne W. Craner, U.S. Secretary of State for Democracy, Human Rights, and
Labor
Freedom Forum
Freedom House
Index on Censorship
International Center for Journalists
International Federation of Journalists
International PEN
International Press Institute
Alain Modoux, Director, UNESCO Freedom of Expression Program
The Newspaper Guild
The North American Broadcasters Association
Overseas Press Club
Reporters Sans Fronti=E8res
Mary Robinson, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights
The Society of Professional Journalists
World Association of Newspapers
World Press Freedom Committee

______

2.

The Island (Colombo)
Saturday 28 July 2001

CROSS SECTION OF CIVIL SOCIETY EXPRESSES GRAVE CONCERN

A group of concerned citizens representing a wide cross-section of civil
society yesterday expressed grave concern at the manner in which the
government and the opposition representing the people of this country have
made a mockery of democratic politics and brought the country to the seriou=
political crisis that it faces today.
The group in a statement said "The people had fully expected that after the
General Election held last October, all political parties would heed the
mandate that was given and work together both to provide a solution to the
long standing military conflict as well as to make the necessary
constitutional changes to eliminate the abuse of power and the distortion o=
democracy that has taken place under the present constitution. Instead, wha=
the people have witnessed is a struggle for power in which both parties are
acting in sheer contempt of the common citizenry.
We do not approve of the manner in which the opposition devoted its energie=
solely to the task of toppling the government and neglected the more urgent
national agenda for peace and democracy. At the same time, while we agree
with the government that ending the war and providing a political settlemen=
through the change of the constitution take overriding precedence, we are
convinced that circumventing the Parliamentary process and calling for a
referendum will further worsen the crisis.
We consider the referendum, as has been announced, a meaningless and costly
exercise and a needless waste of public funds.
The question as it is formulated cannot provide a clear mandate. If, on the
outcome of the referendum, the Government seeks to change the Constitution
outside the Parliamentary system, it will set a precedent which undermines
the stability of any such constitution for all time. A constitution that do=
es
not have the firm consensus of the major parties will not enjoy the
confidence of the minorities and cannot provide an acceptable solution to t=
he
ethnic conflict.
We therefore appeal to the government and the opposition to refrain from an=
action that further exacerbates partisan rivalry and sets the country on a
path which is fraught with conflict and instability. An alternative course =
of
action which restores sanity to our political life is still available. We
appeal to all parties to get back to the Parliamentary process and give fir=
st
priority to the change of the Constitution.
We appeal to both major parties to accept the hard reality that with the
distribution of power in the present Parliament, neither party acting by
itself can provide the people with a stable government. We appeal to them t=
agree on a viable arrangement to share power until a new election is held. =
We
believe that by agreeing to give first priority to the change of the
Constitution and undertaking that task, parties will be creating the
conditions that will facilitate such an arrangement. Such a power-sharing
arrangement that could be implemented with the enactment of the new
constitution could form an integral part of the negotiations on the
constitution.
For this purpose, we appeal
To the President to cancel the referendum that has been called and reconven=
Parliament as early as possible.
To the Opposition to withdraw the no confidence motion;
To the Government to present a new draft constitution to Parliament and
attempt once again to reach agreement on all the elements essential for the
settlement of the military conflict and the protection of the democratic
system.
Major issues on which no consensus is reached can be presented to the peopl=
at a referendum. The outcome of such a referendum could then be accepted by
all parties.
The process that we suggest would have the decided advantage of defining th=
limits which are possible within the democratic realities and the will of t=
he
electorate as it prevails at present. It provides an opportunity for partie=
to take note of the will of the electorate and campaign democratically and
educate the electorate to take the process further if need be.
There is no peaceful alternative to the course of action that we have
suggested. If the two major parties persist in their present plans of actio=
n,
they will deepen the divisions in our society and plunge the country into
another cycle of hatred and violence. Such developments in the midst of the
ongoing war can have disastrous consequences to our national unity and
territorial integrity.
We appeal to all religious leaders, the business community, civil society
organisations and right-thinking citizens regardless of their party
sympathies to bring pressure on all political parties and their leaders to
take the necessary steps to return to the Parliamentary process and act
together to enact a new constitution.

The Signatories to the statement are Ven. Elpitiye Gunasiri Thero,
Isipathanaramaya Temple, Grandpass, Ven. Welivitiye Premarathna Thero
Seelavisudharamaya, Mathugama, Rt. Rev. Dulip Chikera, Bishop of Colombo,
Rev. Fr. Tissa Balasuriya, Chairman, Centre for Society and Religion (CSR),
Rev. Fr. Mervin Fernando, Director, Subodhi Institute of Integral Education=
,
Rev. Fr. Sydney Knight, Dean of the Cathedral Bogoda Premaratne, Asian
Conference on Religion and Peace (ACRP), Dr. Lloyd Fernando, Chairman, Marg=
Institute, Dr. Godfrey Gunatilleke, Chairman, People's Action for Free and
Fair Elections (PAFFREL), Dr. T. Jayesinghem, Senior Lecturer, Eastern
University, Dr. Deepika Udagama, Senior Lecturer, Colombo University, Jazim=
Ismail, Chairperson, SAP International, Sriyantha Senarathna,
Attorney-at-Law, Sam Stembo Marketing Consultant, Wimal Fernando, Secretary=
,
Movement for Free and Fair Election (MFFE), Paul Perera, Executive Director=
,
Community Education Centre (CEC), Samson Jayasinghe, National Secretary,
Samasewaya, Chandraratne Bandara, Director, Samadeepa Social Centre, V.
Subramanidas, Secretary, Malayala Kalayalam, E. L. Wijemanne, SOS Village
Foundation, S. G. Punchihewa, Attorney-at-Law, Bernedeen Silva, Women's
Education Research Centre, Myrtle Perera, Senior Research Fellow, Marga
Institute, Thilak Chandrasekera, Former Chairman, REPIA, Milton Aponso,
Consultant on Aviation, Ministry of Media, Tourism and Aviation, Basil
Illangakoon, Executive Governor, Marga Institute, Ainsley Samarajeewa, Form=
er
Deputy Commissioner of Examinations, S. Sivagurunathan, Executive Secretary=
,
Movement for the Defence of Democratic Rights (MDDR), Newton Fernando,
Secretary General, National Conference on Religion and Peace, Kingsley
Rodrigo, Executive Director, People's Action for Free and Fair Elections
(PAFFREL), Javed Yusuf, Former Diplomat, Hilmi Ahammad, Managing Director,
World View Global Television, Tony Senewiratne, Habitat for Humanity Sri
Lanka, Gunadasa Jayawickrama Genaral Secretary, United Schools Organization=
,
Deepthi De Mel Secretary, National N.G.O. Council of Sri Lanka, Ms Prema
Gamage Secretary, Rajarata Sama Sevaya, Milton A. Perera Executive Director=
,
Centre for Economic & Social Rights, Nimal Breckenridge Civil Society
Development Foundation (CSDF), Stanley Jayaweera Former Diplomat, Sharmini
Boyle, Editor In Chief Young Asia Television, Akram Muktar Media Solv, Dr. =
G.
Kandaudahewa, Asian Youth Centre.

________

3.

PHOTOGRAPH OF RECEPTION AT GANGA PUL _ KANPUR

The Young Ambassadors from across the Border

`Aaye hain hum dosthi ke liye
`We have come to build friendships
Sarhad ke us paar se=92
>From across the Border
Chalo Shikhve Mitaa ke
Come let us break down the barriers
Galey lag jaaye pyaar se=92
And embrace each other with love=92

This the Story of a Peace Mission =96 some called it the Real Summit:=20
Of ten Pakistani girls =96 students, past and present, of a small=20
school in Islamabad, called the Khaldunia School, who were=20
adventurous enough to venture out at the height of summer, in the=20
face of some doubts and concerns on the part of their families, but=20
who were persuaded to entrust them to the responsible and caring team=20
of Principal Hajra Ahmed, the History and Literature teacher =96=20
Jamaluddin, and an energetic volunteer =96 Tahira, who never thought=20
she would see India or the Taj Mahal in her lifetime!

Told by Lalita Ramdas =96 Bhaimala Village =96 Alibag

July 10 2001

It was a journey without parallel =96 Islamabad to Lahore =96 from Lahore=20
by the `Dosti Bus=92 across the border at Wagah =96 craning their necks=20
out of the windows, looking desperately for signs of this being a=20
foreign country =96 a different people. In the event, the only visible=20
indication of difference was the use of the Devnagari script in place=20
of Urdu!! And their distaste for the shrieking sirens and endless=20
horn blowing of the police escorts who accompanied the Bus from Wagah=20
to the Ajmeri Gate Terminus in Delhi

The first night =96 10 July, in Delhi, hosted by Mirambika and the=20
Mothers International School hostel. The morning of the 11th saw the=20
first tentative conversations with an equally curious young group who=20
had never seen or met `real live Pakistanis=92 before!! It was too=20
short and all too soon it was time to get going with young Mahesh and=20
Kusum =96 their caring and efficient escorts from ASHA and SUCCHI -=20
MUCHHI respectively, the two organisations in Lucknow who made the=20
visit possible. To affectionate goodbyes from the host group in=20
Delhi, they were whisked off to Lucknow by the legendary `Gomti=20
Express=92 =96 {the long train journeys across India were to be another=20
new experience}. And as they chugged along the Indo-Gangetic plain,=20
there were some unspoken questions and some understandable anxieties=20
=96 about what it would be like in the capital of BJP ruled state of=20
Uttar Pradesh, the state from where so many had migrated to Pakistan,=20
and yes, the state where the Babri Masjid was demolished not too long=20
ago.

Beginning with the overwhelming reception at the platform at Lucknow=20
Railway station it could only be described as a chain reaction =96 not=20
of the atomic variety - but the kind that happens when there is a=20
deeper resonance between human beings. For those of us who spent the=20
week with them and had time to observe from the sidelines, it was=20
truly as if the entire city had spontaneously opened up its hearts=20
and homes to this group of girls from across the border. There were=20
no hidden agendas here =96 no fears about `hawks sabotaging the peace=20
process=92 . And yes there was a gentle affirmation that it was fine to=20
be seen as doves who were exchanging music and laughter =96 enjoying=20
the traditional Indian welcomes with `aarti=92 and `sindhoor=92, of=20
marigold and rose garlands =96 of crowded galis and sher -e =96shairees =96=
=20
of singing and dancing =96 of titillating the taste buds with flavours=20
from Kashmir to Kanya Kumari =96 of frantic shopping trips which must=20
have emptied out all stocks of `Bindis=92 from Hazrat Ganj =96 Chowk or=20
even the fashionable Janpath . We can tell tales of instant=20
friendships, and signing autographs =96 of addressing press=20
conferences, public meetings and embracing rapturous crowds of kids=20
in school after school =96 of late night queueing up around computers=20
to send emails which were never enough to express the tumult of=20
emotions and impressions =96 of questions and answers =96 of celebrating=20
similarities and differences ............

And finally, of sitting together =96 trying to make sense of the wars,=20
the violence the shared and the lost, and half understood, true and=20
false histories ...........and the agonising questions which no=20
leader dares to answer .... =93but can someone tell me why are we=20
killing each other? What are we fighting about? Why so much hate =96 so=20
many lies - so much fear =96 so much suspicion?=94 Who is to blame?

For those of us who had worked for many months to plan this visit by=20
the Khaldunia team to Delhi-Lucknow-Agra from July 10 to July 21 this=20
was a long cherished dream come true. On no account could this, what=20
some of us chose to call the `Asli Summit=92 be allowed to be=20
overshadowed by the other SUMMIT when the visiting President from=20
across the same border would be sitting in conclave with our own=20
Prime Minister on dates which overlapped with this visit, and even=20
more coincidentally was taking place in the same state of UP. In our=20
eyes, there was no question as to which visit won hands down and=20
which has left deep and indelible imprints in the hearts and minds of=20
all those whom these young women touched in some way or other. No=20
lingering questions remain as to whether `they could be trusted=92 ,=20
`did they really want peace=92 ? and all the weary, cynical=20
phraseology of a media which has to keep the flames of controversy=20
and suspicion alive.

The emergent questions for us now are, when can we plan a return=20
visit to Pakistan? How many of us can go? How soon can we go? Will=20
our families allow us? Why do we need visas? Permissions? And these=20
questions are being asked by a bewildering cross section of Lucknowis=20
=96 from the chikan workers of SEWA, to the host families with whom=20
Zainab and Ayesha, Sara and Farina , Alia and Sophia, Laila and=20
Saleha, Suniya and Mallika stayed and slept and ate and talked, to=20
all those hundreds of school children of the many schools of Lucknow=20
and Kanpur and Delhi who hosted the team, even the strangers who=20
walked up to them in the market places, the gullies and public=20
meetings and handed them addresses and emails and asked them to write=20
to them.

For that one magical week it was as if some unspoken power had truly=20
been at work =96 keeping the Hawks and the Doubting Thomases quiescent=20
(may be we have to thank the Agra Summit for distracting their=20
attentions?!) and creating an unbelievable atmosphere which could not=20
have been more conducive to the kind of interactions we witnessed.

And it was in those small spaces and the unplanned windows during the=20
unbelievably packed schedules =96 [starting most days at 7am and ending=20
around midnight at the earliest] =96 that the really important=20
conversations began to take place:

The chats happened in twos and threes - during the car journeys, over=20
a shared idli-dosai, listening to a school choir singing; dancing=20
together to a spirited version of `Bhumro Bhumro=92 ,or sharing in the=20
familiar dilemmas of families and friends separated by arbitrary=20
decisions of partition in the moving story of MALTI enacted by the=20
children of the Gomti Nagar branch of Modern Academy=96 Lucknow.

Why cant we have more Idli =96Dosai-Vada restaurants in Pakistan =96 Mr=20
Reddy and Mr Rao (the owners of Dosa Corner where we were treated to=20
one of the best all vegetarian meals) cant you open up a chain in=20
Islamabad =96 Karachi =96 Lahore??????
Tell us about Ganesha and Ardha narishwar and Durga =96 (walking around=20
the Kanpur Birla Mandir)
History as we are taught it on both sides is so distorted =96 can we=20
have a workshop or really good history teachers who can teach in each=20
other=92s countries? Is there such a thing as `objective=92 history?
It is very difficult for us to understand the caste system =96 can you=20
explain it? And for the next hour or so Arundhati Dhuru and I wove=20
our way around the minefields of the caste system!
We really dont know such good Urdu =96 please forgive our mistakes! You=20
people speak such excellent Urdu here in Lucknow!
Just send Sharrukh and Aamir across =96 all our problems will be solved!!
Why cant the borders be open so people can come and go easily?
Where was the Lucknow Pact signed? Trying to understand the=20
highlights of the common struggle against the Colonial Masters =96a=20
walk about through the Residency =96 thanks to the dedication of women=20
like Mohini Manglik =96 an English professor with a passion about=20
history.
We never imagined that there was so much poverty in India!
We can deal with everything but the appalling traffic here!! Even=20
Karachi is better than this!
How can we build on the things that we share in common and not=20
emphasise those things that divide or cause divisions?
When we look at our Television we get such a terrible picture of you=20
people! How can we deal with the media?
We would love to go the South of India =96 to see the temples; I want=20
to go to Khajuraho: Oh but we would love to see Mohenjodaro and=20
Harappa! We will have to come back many times to see even a little=20
bit of India
NOW WE WILL PLAN FOR A CHILDRENS SUMMIT =96 WE WILL DO FAR BETTER THAN=20
OUR LEADERS!

And the conversations never ended =96 they are carrying on till today=20
over cyber space - serious one moment and light hearted=20
conversations the next =96 as if they could not bear to lose any=20
precious moment.............

If any two people have to be especially congratulated for making this=20
visit possible =96 it was the Principal of Khaldunia =96 Hajra Ahmed =96=20
who did not let go of the idea ever since we talked about it during=20
my visit to her school in Islamabad - May 2000. And on the Indian=20
side =96 another intrepid woman =96 Arundhati Dhuru, of NAPM, NBA and=20
ASHA =96 and without whose single minded dynamism and commitment it=20
simply could not have happened!! Arundhati whose organisational=20
skills had been honed in her years in Narmada Bachao Andolan, used=20
her extraordinary powers of mobilising the widest and most diverse=20
possible cross section of people and groups in the Lucknow and Kanpur=20
belt to pull out all stops and provide red carpet VVVIP treatment.=20
And for those of us privileged to share the experience =96 I can only=20
say it was unparallelled in its genuine warmth , the proverbial=20
`mehmaan nawaazi=92 (hospitality) of Lucknow, and set standards=20
impossible for any of us to match in the future!

And with Arundhati were the unique team of tireless and cheerful=20
activists =96 Bobby, Mahesh, Kusum, Parmita, Ashish, Pranita, Neelam=20
and their network in the NGOs, schools and academics =96 for whom=20
nothing was ever too difficult to manage and organise. A former Vice=20
Chancellor of the University and currently heading the UP chapter of=20
the Pak India Forum, Roop Rekha Varma was present right throughout.=20
Charul and Vinay came all the way from Ahmedabad to welcome them with=20
songs; Admiral Ramdas of the Pak India Forum made a special effort to=20
be present at the final Public meeting. In Delhi, the support=20
provided by the team drawn from among CNDP,PIPFPD, PEACE, **and=20
Mirambika, Springdales and BlueBells schools in Delhi was also=20
impressive. All in all this demonstrated beyond any doubt, that given=20
commitment to the idea =96 resources can and will be mobilised. And=20
the returns will far exceed even our expectations from `people to=20
people=92 contact in the best sense of the word. In our evaluation=20
session on the last but one day in Lucknow =96 each one spoke of the=20
kind of follow-up they hoped to do on their return to Islamabad, so=20
as to spread the word and to keep the exchanges going.

The images and the memories will continue to linger =96 and it is=20
tempting to keep adding anecdotes. Few will forget the memories of=20
the late night show of LAGAAN =96 where the theatre not only gave them=20
complimentary tickets, cokes and popcorn =96 but were waiting to=20
receive them with garlands and kept flashing slides before and during=20
the show welcoming the young visitors from Pakistan. Not to mention=20
the escorting Police women who wanted them to sign autographs =96 and=20
seemed completely bowled over by this particular assignment!
And yes, some of the few not so pleasant memories too =96 of anti=20
Pakistan slogan shouting by goons and goondas outside their hostel in=20
Agra; and the pre-tasting by Police medicos of the food served to=20
guests in the one minority institution visited in Kanpur! But in the=20
overall scenario =96 these were pinpricks which were soon forgotten.

The spirit and the dreams which infused the moment were best summed=20
up in what was one of the most frequently quoted pieces from both the=20
Indian and Pakistani sides =96 namely the prose poem from Tagore=92s=20
Gitanjali as he outlines a vision for tomorrow: A vision which young=20
people on both sides of the border clearly echoed as they discarded=20
all traces of narrow nationalisms and patriarchies:

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high,
Where Knowledge is free
Where words come out from the depths of truth
Where silent striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic wa=
lls
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way in the dreary=20
sands of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee into everlasting thought and action
Into that Heaven of Freedom ,my Father, let my country awake

And as they sang and danced their way into the hearts of Lucknow, and=20
Kanpur and Agra and Delhi =96 we too began to sing, inspired by the=20
uncomplicated innocence of youth =96 the song that we would urge our=20
leaders to follow:

Chhodo kal ki baathein =96 Kal ki baath purani

Let us forget the stories of yesterday =96 these are old conversations=20
and should be left behind
Naye Daur mein Likhenge Milkar Nayi kahani

In the coming phase, Let us write new stories together,

Hum Hindustani =96 Hum Pakistani
We are Indians =96 We are Pakistanis

Hum Honge Kamyaab =96 Hogi Shanthi Charon Or =96 Nahin darenge kisi se hum

We Shall Overcome =96 There will be Peace all round =96 We are not afraid.

________

4.

The Indian Express
http://www.indian-express.com/ie20010730/ed6.html
Bywords/RAKESH SHUKLA

A TREK THROUGH DODA IN TIMES OF STRIFE

The region is precariously sandwiched between the military and the militant=

THE birds have come home to roost. Screaming headlines like ''15 Shot=20
Dead in Doda'', ''Five Village Defence Committee Members Kidnapped''=20
are only going to get more common. Unlike the Valley, from where the=20
tiny percentage of Pandits fled, in Doda, Hindus and Muslims would be=20
in the ratio of 40 to 60, Doda Muslims have more in common with the=20
Hindus who stay in Doda than with Kashmiri Muslims. The policies of=20
the government, the behaviour of the armed forces and the actions of=20
the militants seem to work in tandem in dividing the people here=20
along communal lines, breeding militancy in turn.

Even after travelling for eight days in the Kashmir Valley, at the=20
tail-end of the ceasefire this summer, reaching Doda was a shock. The=20
Valley has newspapers and human rights violations do manage to get=20
some coverage. In sharp contrast to the flat Kashmir Valley, the=20
numerous hills and valleys of the Pir Panjal range are ideal for=20
guerilla warfare. The militant movement, which began in the Valley,=20
today seems strongest in Doda. The concentration of armed forces is=20
also maximum in the area.

Consequently, the people of Doda are sandwiched between the armed=20
forces and militants. In Kishtwar town, the headquarters of the=20
tehsil where the recent killings have taken place, we are sitting in=20
the drawing room of a respected teacher. He had been subjected to=20
nine interrogations in the Joint Interrogation Centres (JICs) since=20
1990. On one occasion, he was made to stand with a broken femur for=20
twenty days with his hands tied to a fan. The dreaded JICs, under the=20
unified command of the police, army and para-military forces, are a=20
law unto themselves. People are picked up at will and detained for=20
months on end. In a complete breakdown of the rule of law, mandatory=20
requirements like production before a magistrate within 24 hours,=20
right to legal counsel, right to knowing the grounds of arrest and=20
medical examination are openly flouted.

Fifteen families have shifted to Drabshalla village situated on the=20
Doda-Kishtwar highway due to harassment by the forces in their=20
villages. Particularly tragic is the case of two deaf and dumb=20
12-year-old boys who were picked up at night and tortured to death.=20
Three schoolboys coming back after their 10th class examination saw=20
armymen, got scared and started to run. They were fired upon. As we=20
climb up from Goha Marmet village, the road-head, towards Bihotha in=20
the mountainous Marmat region, each person has a story of torture,=20
beating, forced labour (begar). Mother and daughter, Shah Bano and=20
Kajra (names changed), were picked up, blindfolded and gangraped in=20
the army camp for five days. Only after massive protests was a case=20
finally registered. However, the two sons of the family were picked=20
up and tortured to force the rape survivors to change their=20
statements. In an assembly of about 100 persons in Bihota, the=20
announcement that any person who has not been tortured should step=20
out, leads to pindrop silence.

The daily beatings, humiliation, molestation and begar by the armed=20
forces leave no room to retain even an iota of self-respect. The only=20
recourse, especially for boys, seems to be to join the militants. In=20
fact, the armed forces with ''patriotic zeal'' single out family=20
members of militants and tell them to go to Pakistan as there is no=20
place for them in India. The recent abduction and killing of four=20
members of the Village Defence Committee of Tagood village by=20
militants appears to be a direct consequence of the official=20
policies. The secular sounding VDCs, which are being armed by the=20
government, are comprised exclusively of Hindus.

Incredibly, dividing the people along communal lines seems to be a=20
common agenda of the government and the militants. The total crushing=20
of democratic space and a life of self-respect suggests the=20
possibility of a dangerous gameplan of the powers-that-be to=20
extinguish open Kashmiri nationalism and leave room only for militant=20
extremists which may be easier to crush.

(The writer is an advocate, Supreme Court)

________

5.

The Hindustan Times
Tuesday, July 31, 2001
Op-Ed.

BETWEEN POWER AND POLITICS
D.R. Goyal

Despite the brave front put up at the BJP's national executive meet=20
in Delhi, frustration is writ large within the Sangh parivar.

The euphoria generated by the spectacular rise of its political wing,=20
the BJP, has not only worn out, but the party is definitely going=20
through a severe headache, a kind of morning after. The performance=20
of the party (and the NDA government) has become an embarrassment to=20
most of its adherents, except perhaps for those who are able to make=20
hay while the sun shines.

Most members of the parivar are seething with discontent. Worst of=20
all is the impact on the head of the family, the RSS, which is=20
seriously worried about the fall in attendance of young followers in=20
the shakhas. The number of shakhas and the attendance shown in the=20
annual report of its general secretary reflects that it attracts=20
mostly minor children and the superannuated.

There is a widespread feeling among old timers, especially those who=20
had idealistically devoted the best years of their lives to spreading=20
its organisational network, that the BJP is damaging the tree from=20
which it received sustenance. If the flow of youth into the parent=20
organisation dries up, the joint family of the parivar will be=20
inundated by cynical power-seekers, a phenomenon so embarrassingly=20
manifest in the BJP today. A serious debate is raging in the higher=20
echelons of the parivar on the wisdom of continued support to the=20
present political front despite its deviations from the basic=20
Hindutva agenda.

The Vishwa Hindu Parishad, whose exertions had catapulted it from the=20
margins of politics to the centrestage, is sore because the party has=20
thrown away its mandir flag. The Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad,=20
the nursery of the parivar's political cadre, is feeling let down by=20
the new education policy sought to be enforced by the Vajpayee=20
dispensation. The students' outfit finds it difficult to support a=20
policy which closes the doors of higher education for students from=20
lower middle class families who constitute the main catchment area=20
for the entire parivar. Training in priest craft and astrology is=20
considered no compensation.

The front organisations of the RSS operating in the field of economy=20
have found the vigorous reforms, set in motion by the BJP-led=20
government, have pulled the ground from under their feet. The=20
Bharatiya Mazdoor Sangh (BMS), their workers' front, is up in arms=20
because the new labour laws plus the divestment policy, envisaged by=20
the finance minister, threaten the leading position it has attained=20
in the trade union field after years of struggle. The UTI scam has=20
only added salt to their wounds. With the Swadeshi Jagran Manch in=20
tow, the BJP has launched a tearing campaign against the government=20
calling in question the integrity and patriotic credentials of Sinha.

No less worried, though not equally vocal, is Laghu Bharti. This=20
Sangh front used to mobilise the small and medium scale enterprises=20
in support of all the social and political initiatives of the=20
parivar. It finds itself in a jam as the small and medium sector has=20
been thrown into an unprecedented crisis.

The severest blow came just a few days after the celebration of the=20
platinum jubilee of the RSS. The Sangh parivar got a rude shock with=20
the Tehelka expos=E9. It was public demonstration of the venality of=20
those who had undergone the process claimed to be devised for=20
producing men of sterling character, "patriots of the purest ray=20
serene", according to an editorial in its mouthpiece, the Organiser.=20
The head of its political wing, BJP, had been caught by camera=20
accepting currency notes as bribe to promote the interests of a firm=20
interested in the sale of military hardware to the ministry of=20
defence. It was a tremendous loss of face for the swayamsevaks who=20
had been using probity as the USP of the party.

What was particularly irksome to the RSS was not that Bangaru Laxman=20
accepted the monetary offer, but that he was careless and got caught.=20
That the party is run on tainted lucre was never unknown. The=20
founding fathers of the RSS, aware of the role of such 'donations',=20
had devised the clever trick of gurudakshina so that the source of=20
its finance remains hidden and the receiving party is not obliged to=20
account for what it receives.

The cause of embarrassment was the lack of cleverness on the part of=20
one specially chosen by one of their most astute political operators.=20
It was a failure not only of the person caught but also of the one=20
who had selected him for the most sensitive job. It was a=20
demonstration that the presumed patriots fashioned by the Sangh were=20
capable of compromising the nation's security.

The RSS leadership had kept the rank and file satisfied by occasional=20
pious sermons at the gatherings of leading BJP activists by warning=20
everyone - beware of the temptations that come with power. Such=20
sermons have been duly publicised since the party's 1996 Bombay=20
session when the hope of capturing power had soared high. The=20
supporters and members of the family were thereby provided a=20
face-saving explanation that chosen swayamsevaks of the RSS would=20
ensure that its political front remains untainted. And now precisely=20
such characters had mud on their face.

In the circumstances, the RSS had no choice but to issue a stern=20
warning. Its spokesman announced at a press conference that "the=20
expos=E9 appeared to be true", that "the Vajpayee government had failed=20
to check corruption" and that "Bangaru Laxman, the prime minister's=20
choice to head the party, had failed as a swayamsevak." It was the=20
most comprehensive indictment by the parent of its progeny.

The consequences of this agonising frustration are bound to appear in=20
the near future, most probably in the forthcoming assembly election=20
in UP.

Furious efforts are being made by the BJP top brass to woo back the=20
angry cadres. Success will depend on the choice the parivar makes=20
between power and its principles.

________

6.

The Hindu
Tuesday, July 31, 2001

MOSQUE DEMOLISHED

By Our Staff Correspondent

JAIPUR, JULY 30. A decrepit mosque built by a battalion of the Moghul=20
army in the 16th century near Asind town in Bhilwara district of=20
south Rajasthan was demolished by a mob of hoodlums and a temple=20
built in its place on Friday last, sending shock waves across the=20
State and leading to tension between the two communities.

The incident - which was concealed by the district administration for=20
fear of a communal backlash - came to light today with the local=20
residents approaching the Rajasthan Waqf Board here. The Waqf Board=20
records refer to the mosque as ``Masjid Sawai Bhoj'' which was in use=20
till 1956 and abandoned thereafter apparently because of thin=20
population of Muslims in the vicinity.

The mosque was situated near the Sawai Bhoj temple - frequented=20
mostly by the Gurjar community - 3 km from Asind. An old dargah,=20
known as Badia dargah, is also at some distance from the temple=20
premises and an `urs' is organised there on a large- scale every year.

The trouble reportedly began during the three-day `urs' celebrations=20
which started on July 26. There was a dispute over the closure of the=20
traditional route to the dargah, which used to pass through the=20
temple complex. The temple trust had provided a new route, passing=20
through the nearby Khari river, that had caused resentment among=20
those visiting the dargah. The dispute took a violent turn when a mob=20
objected to raising of tents near the dargah for organising qawwalis=20
(devotional songs) during `urs' on Friday and burnt them down. The=20
mob later reportedly attacked the mosque and razed it to the ground=20
in no time in full view of the policemen deployed to keep a vigil=20
around the dargah.

The mosque had been built in the ``Qalandari'' style - with no roof=20
over it and a single high wall raised on the western side, facing the=20
Holy Kaabah. It had a raised platform and three minarets. Since the=20
old structure was already fragile, it took little time for the=20
300-strong mob to demolish it.

A fresh marble platform was hurriedly built at the site of the=20
demolished mosque and an idol installed by Friday evening. According=20
to the reports received here, the temple has been named ``Mandir Peer=20
Pachhar Hanuman Ji'' (temple of Lord Hanuman who defeated Peer - the=20
Muslim saint buried in the dargah).

The mosque is said to have been built by a battalion of Emperor=20
Akbar's army in the 16th century when Akbar's forces were returning=20
from Chittaurgarh after a battle. The army had stopped over briefly=20
near Asind in the vicinity of Sawai Bhoj temple - which existed at=20
that time - and built the mosque to mark the place. Akbar had later=20
granted 700 bighas of land to the temple.

South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996. Dispatch
archive from 1998 can be accessed at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/act/messages/ . To subscribe send a blank