[sacw] SACW #2 (25 Sept. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:32:12 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | Dispatch #2
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1.

________________________

#1.

'Terror, counter-terror, war and our lives'
Peace meet at the Ramjas College, Delhi University in Delhi

[Here's how the meeting began with a few words from Mukul Mangalik=20
(historian, film maker and a heart of gold)]

" On behalf of the History Society, Ramjas College, I thank you all=20
for being present here today.

There are moments in time when the earth seems to cry out in anguish=20
with each step we take, when every breath we take seems to carry=20
within itself a sense of desperation, when there's a feeling in our=20
bones that we, our lives, our very humanity, are no longer in our=20
control. It is such a moment that we are living today, being pushed=20
rapidly to the edge of a precipice from which there may be no return.

There is a shocking ease with which war is being talked about and=20
violence glorified, as if these were games to be played in which life=20
didn't matter. There is a shocking ease with which terrorism is being=20
identified with Islam. Reason appears to have taken flight, and=20
language taken over by words of retribution, revenge, hate and=20
communal elimination no matter what the costs.

This is happening at a time when irrespective of race, creed and=20
ethnicity, millions of people are haunted and ravaged by daily=20
terrors such as hunger, disease, displacement, and police, caste,=20
gender and majoritarian atrocities, which precisely because of their=20
everydayness, go virtually unacknowledged. It is happening at a time=20
when the world is afloat on a sea of weapons of mass destruction, and=20
it is happening at a time when authoritarian mentalities are becoming=20
the commonsense upon which states the world over are rationalising=20
the steady encroachment on hard won democratic rights and civil=20
liberties.

We have gathered here today to begin to try and make sense of all=20
that has brought us to the brink of this massive human tragedy=20
unfolding before our eyes, to try perhaps to reaffirm that there is=20
more to life than a fight unto death over oil and falling rates of=20
profit in the names of religion and nation, and to think of what=20
little we can do to pull ourselves back from the brink.

Let's look for hope wherever we can, with the conviction that life is=20
beautiful and we can cleanse it of all forms of oppression and=20
intolerance so that every one may enjoy it to the full.

This meeting will begin with students from Ramjas History sharing=20
their experiences and thoughts on 'Terror, counter-terror, war and=20
our lives', followed by comments by, and a discussion with, Achin=20
Vanaik and Praful Bidwai. Before inviting Harry second year History=20
Hons to come and speak, I wish I could have said "there's music in=20
the cafes tonight and revolution in the air". This is not possible=20
but I hope at least everyone will join in singing together with=20
Shubendu, Manjeet and John in the course of the meeting."

_______

#2.

From: Beena Sarwar

A thought provoking letter from Nuzhat Kidvai in Karachi to Elise=20
Young in the USA, that Elise has passed on to share...