[sacw] SACW #2. (21 Oct. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sun, 21 Oct 2001 17:15:16 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | Dispatch #2.
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1. The Talibanisation of Kashmiri nationalism (Shabir Choudhry)
#2. Blood, face paint and tears: Sheema Kirmani's crusade for=20
cultural acceptance (Razeshta Sethna)
#3. The spies among us (Ayesha Khan)
#4. India: Fundamentalist Danger
#5. For The Right Reason (Mukul Kesavan)
#6. Osho Ahead of Osama (K.P. Nayar)

________________________

#1.

Tehelka.com

The Talibanisation of Kashmiri nationalism

Shabir Choudhry explains why he resents
the politicisation of Islam by the jehadis
and how they harm the true cause of the Kashmiri people - self-determinatio=
London, October 20

Last year I wrote a series of articles criticising acts of senseless=20
violence that resulted in loss of innocent human life. I tried to=20
differentiate between violence and freedom struggle. I argued that=20
acts of violence, targeting innocent citizens, should not be carried=20
out under the noble name of jehad . The teachings of Islam, and the=20
rules of engagement in jehad , do not allow the killing of innocent=20
people.

At that time, jehadi forces were at a peak, and few people dared to=20
criticise them, fearing reprisals. One might call it imprudence, but=20
I was one of the few who spoke out against them. As a result, I was=20
accused of being anti-jehad , anti-Islam, anti-movement and=20
pro-India. My crime was to oppose "Islamisation" or "Talibanisation"=20
of the Kashmiri struggle for independence. In my view, this changed=20
the character of our freedom struggle, and was not in the best=20
interest of the freedom movement. Our struggle was for a united and=20
independent Kashmir, where all Kashmiris, irrespective of religion or=20
social background, could live in peace and harmony.

Maybe I said these things prematurely, and consequently, I was=20
severely criticised by jehadi groups. There was also criticism=20
forthcoming from within the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front=20
(JKLF), because my articles were causing embarrassment in many=20
quarters. Friends and family advised that I keep a low profile for=20
sometime, for fear of bodily harm.

No doubt Allah is great, and truth always prevails. September 11, and=20
the subsequent international reaction, has changed the attitude of=20
the world to many things, especially towards the use of religion to=20
promote political agenda. This change is also reflected in the=20
writings of Pakistani writers.

Imtiaz Alam, a known columnist of The News notes it like this, "He=20
(President Musharraf) has to be aware of not only extremists, who are=20
preparing for small mutinies and forming a joint front with the=20
Taliban in the frontier regions, in particular, but also those=20
jehadis who have an international agenda and are not loyal to the=20
cause of Kashmiris. Before we go to the UN with a clean chit in 90=20
days, and before India succeeds in converting the political issue of=20
the right of self-determination of the Kashmiris into 'terrorism', we=20
have some time to help the Kashmiri resistance isolate foreign=20
elements who want to defame their liberation movement by targeting=20
civilians and resorting to individual terrorism." (The News , London,=20
October 10)

It is unlikely that Alam would have written this piece before=20
September 11. His assessment - that the presence of non-Kashmiri=20
militants creates the impression that it is not a Kashmiri struggle -=20
is correct. Also, it hands India a propaganda stick - that outside=20
interference is responsible for the problem in Kashmir. It has always=20
been our endeavour that the struggle remains a "Kashmiri" struggle.=20
However, forces beyond our control worked to change the character of=20
the movement. In spite of this, we have done our best to maintain the=20
true face of the movement - one of a Kashmiri struggle for=20
independence.

This aside, the jehadis do not share common cause with the=20
freedom-loving people of Kashmir. We want to determine our future,=20
and once we attain that goal, we would be keen on friendly relations=20
with both India and Pakistan. The jehadis, on the other hand, are=20
working towards hoisting their flag on Red Fort in New Delhi, then on=20
the White House in Washington. The strange thing is that, in their=20
view, the route to New Delhi and Washington goes through Srinagar. In=20
other words, until their mission is accomplished, we must bear the=20
brunt of their actions.

It is said that a freedom fighter is a terrorist if you look at the=20
flipside of the situation. This debate has been going on for decades,=20
and it is unlikely there will ever be a consensus opinion on this=20
terminology. Although there is no agreed definition of a freedom=20
fighter, one can say that a freedom fighter does not wage a war on=20
people. Besides morality, there are also strategic reasons for this=20
rule - a freedom fighter has to earn the goodwill of the people. S/he=20
cannot survive without their sincere support.

The aim of the freedom fighter is to fight against colonial rule,=20
oppression of the State and injustice. The target, therefore, is=20
necessarily non-civilian, and the attempt is to create awareness=20
against the injustice. A terrorist, on the other hand, kills people=20
indiscriminately to achieve his goal, whatever that may be. This=20
policy or strategy of indiscriminate killing clearly distinguishes a=20
terrorist from a freedom fighter. The ruthless actions of terrorists=20
alienate them from the people.

Similarly, some governments also resort to indiscriminate killings of=20
ordinary people in order to generate fear and prevent them from=20
cooperating with freedom fighters. But more often than not, this=20
policy backfires - it generates hate and opposition against the=20
government, as has happened in Kashmir. The gross human rights=20
violations, and there is ample evidence of it, perpetrated by various=20
governments in Kashmir resulted in further alienation and anger.=20
Indian policy planners and officers of the paramilitary forces=20
wrongly assumed that by their heavy-handedness, they would be able to=20
control the situation. Killing of innocent civilians, crackdowns,=20
custodial deaths and imprisonment without trial only served to=20
strengthen the resolve to fight for freedom.

It is high time India and Pakistan realise that they have tried=20
everything - full-scale wars, border clashes, Kargil expedition,=20
Simla, Lahore Declaration and Agra - to settle the Kashmir dispute.=20
The dispute, however, continues, threatening peace and stability of=20
the region. Events in Afghanistan have overshadowed other disputes=20
temporarily, but it must be remembered that the Kashmir dispute and=20
Palestine pose a grave threat to world peace. There could be no peace=20
without resolving these disputes amicably, and according to wishes of=20
the people.

Pakistan and India have clashed over everything since 1947, but=20
strangely have agreed to keep the Kashmiri people away from the=20
negotiating table. This, in spite of the fact that many rounds of=20
bilateral talks have not helped in approaching a solution. This is=20
the first time in the troubled history of India and Pakistan that=20
they are on the same side of the divide, supporting the fight against=20
"international terrorism". That has, though, not inhibited their=20
constant bickering and criticism of each other. There have even been=20
some border clashes, and there is a serious danger it could escalate=20
into a war between them, adding a new dimension to the problems of=20
the region.

Both India and Pakistan need to realise that the international=20
political environment has changed dramatically, resulting in new=20
alignments. In this changed environment, the international community=20
has little or no tolerance for violence, and does not subscribe to=20
any policy that could possibly lead to disputes settled by use of=20
force. It is, therefore, imperative that they learn from their past=20
mistakes, carefully analyse the situation around them, and find a way=20
to resolve the Kashmir dispute.

Even before September 11, there was no military solution to the=20
Kashmir dispute, and this is why I have been urging India and=20
Pakistan to resolve the dispute by a process of dialogue between all=20
the parties to the dispute. It must be remembered that the situation=20
in Kashmir is not a simple law and order problem, as some sections of=20
the Indian establishment think. Nor is it a religious war or problem=20
related to the "two nation" theory, as projected by the Pakistan. It=20
is an issue of the Kashmiri right to self-determination. And any=20
attempts to crush the freedom movement by use of force or to divide=20
the state, would lead to more trouble in the region, and possibly a=20
war.

In its editorial, Kashmir Times advises the Indian government, "New=20
Delhi has not learnt any lesson from its past mistakes, and is=20
looking at the problem of terrorism or violence in Kashmir in=20
isolation and purely as a law and order problem to be dealt with by=20
using of maximum force and repressive measures. Such a policy has=20
proved counter-productive in the past, and the consequences of=20
fighting militancy with use of excessive force in vacuum can be even=20
more disastrous. The violence in Kashmir is not the cause, but the=20
consequence of New Delhi's failure to solve the basic political=20
problem of Kashmir. Stepping up military action, without taking steps=20
to find a solution to the basic Kashmir problem, will only lead to=20
further alienation of the people. Any kind of terrorism has to be=20
eliminated, but more important and crucial in the fight against=20
terrorism is to win the hearts and minds of the estranged people."=20
(Kashmir Times, October 13)

(The author is a JKLF leader, and director, Institute of Kashmir=20
Affairs, London)

______

#2.

Samwonline.com

Blood, face paint and tears: Sheema Kirmani's crusade for cultural acceptan=
ce

By Razeshta Sethna

Saturday, September 29, 2001 10:55:39 AM EST

Outside Pakistan's Mohatta Palace Museum.

Dressed in magnificent traditional costume during a Bharat Natyam performan=
ce.
KARACHI: Sheema Kirmani remembers when she gave out fifty invites for=20
her debut solo classical dance performance in 1984 and was=20
overwhelmed when more than three hundred enthusiasts attended. It was=20
when General Zia-ul-Haq's Islamization drive had destroyed the link=20
between the dance communities of India and Pakistan, compelling=20
Pakistani artists to work around a virtual ban on cultural pursuits.
"In the '80s, people were thirsty for culture and I was overwhelmed=20
to see so many come and support this art form," muses Kirmani,=20
Pakistan's exponent of the Odissi and Bharata Natyam style of=20
classical dance.
For Kirmani and her contemporaries, it has been an upward struggle to=20
reinvent dance as an acceptable art form and cultural practice in=20
Pakistan where government support and recognition has remained=20
negligible.
But, she explains the cultural climate has altered since 1993, with a=20
modest comeback of classical musicians and dance troupes actively=20
performing in commercial and experimental houses.
Her perseverance as a dancer and teacher of Odissi and Bharata Natyam=20
in Pakistan is testimony to the fact that classical dance once banned=20
and exiled to the private salons of the rich, has returned to the=20
public sphere.
Recalling with nostalgia her early days when she was inducted into=20
dance as a student at the Ghanshyam's Rhythmic Art Center in Karachi,=20
Kirmani explains why the Ghanshyams fled the country in the early=20
'80s after persistent targeting by fundamental elements that=20
proclaimed they were anti-Islam.
With a 20-year career that has survived virulent societal repression,=20
she recalls when at times no-objection certificates, obtained prior=20
to a performance were suddenly cancelled without explanation.
"The issue of religion attached to dance emerged when General=20
Zia-ul-Haq announced that dance was against Islamic values without=20
delving deeper into the fact that dance, being a part of culture and=20
the legacy of the subcontinent, should be equated with lifestyle.=20
Dance has existed pre-religion. The whirling Sufis danced. Shah Abdul=20
Latif Bhittai was a dancer and a musician himself. How, then, is=20
dance associated with immorality and decadence?" she retorts.
Kirmani studied classical dance forms in India with Leela Samson of=20
the Kalakshetra, Mayadhar Raut at the Bhartiya Kala Kendra in Delhi=20
and returned in 1990 on a one-year scholarship to train under Guru=20
Aloka Pannikar at Art Kendra also in Delhi.
Her interest in artistic expression also allowed for exploration into=20
other art forms as theater. "It's been a while since I have begun to=20
examine the concept of being an artist in a holistic way. And in the=20
subcontinent, the idea of being an artist does not mean to=20
compartmentalize. Acting is a part of dance," she explains. Also, her=20
family's creative endeavors further lent a keen insight into the=20
arts, which became an integral part of her education. Regrettably=20
cultural pursuits are no longer important in contemporary homes and=20
children growing up miss out on what we experienced, she notes.
Nostalgia meanders through her thoughts, as Kirmani plays delicately=20
with the folds of her white sari, saying, "I had music in my ears as=20
a child. Those memories always remain. Unconsciously, the=20
appreciation of all things beautiful lingers on in the memory."
Involved with the Leftist movement of the early 80s, Kirmani was=20
instrumental in the formation of Tehrik-e-Niswan (the Women's=20
Movement) in 1981, which was a group opposed to Zia's martial law=20
regime. The first All-Women's Conference on International Women's Day=20
in 1981 was organized by the Tehrik and the same year witnessed an=20
all women's mushaira -- a poetry gathering.
Activists with the Tehrik were all too aware of the limitations that=20
women labor under and decided to use novel and effective devices such=20
as street theater to communicate with the disempowered.
"The development of street theater allows women from deprived=20
communities to come forth and express emotions like joy and pain=20
which are ordinarily denied to them. These plays don't require sets=20
and are minimum in terms of production. We have repertories of six to=20
eight plays performed every Saturday," she says.
Performed in the low-income areas of Karachi such as the Lyari and=20
Orangi townships, the plays generate dialogue alongside=20
entertainment. "We've had some meaningful moments but we are=20
presently in need of renewed funding, which was given to the Tehrik=20
by a donor agency in the Netherlands. Culture is not what donor=20
agencies want to fund," she says, but clearly Kirmani's group has=20
reaped results.
Living in squatter settlements where the average income is less that=20
Rs. 1,000 (approximately $16) per month, and with no opportunity for=20
entertainment, the under-privileged have played host to productions=20
performed by Tehrik-e-Niswan.
Kirmani and Khalid Ahmed, her playwright and director husband, say=20
that the young generation is ready for change. "They are waiting for=20
that change to come but there is no leadership nor movement in sight.=20
I feel men hold back change. If there is any sign of positive change=20
in this society, then it will be brought on by women. Thirty-three=20
per cent won seats in local government elections, which goes to prove=20
that social taboos hold them back. When they find it within them to=20
break these taboos, the ball will start rolling."
Although her efforts at amassing funding for a performance space for=20
classical dance and theater have temporarily been thwarted along with=20
plans for a performing arts academy, Kirmani remains confident and=20
soldiers on with concerts, where not being content with experimenting=20
with traditional compositions, her repertoire includes selections=20
from poets and feminists like Tagore and Ismat Chughtai.
"A woman who dances in a public space is anathema to conservative=20
Muslims associating classical dance forms with Hindu mythology.=20
Today, young minds are closed and not rebellious. Unlike the bohemian=20
curious-minded lot of the '60s, complacency has set in the younger=20
generation."
Yet, for women like Kirmani, all crusaders have to hope against hope,=20
otherwise they would not struggle in a hostile environment. They=20
would opt out and perform for appreciating audiences in the West.=20
Unlike Kirmani, they would not pin their hopes on the magic of art,=20
which has the power to unite a disintegrating nation-state. -SADA

______

#3.

The News on Sunday / The News International (Pakistan)

The spies among us

During the Iranian Revolution and Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, CIA=20
people were all over the place. Ayesha Khan looks back at those=20
fateful years and asks if it is going to happen again
The events in Pakistan and neighboring Afghanistan over the past=20
month are an uncanny throwback to 20 years ago, when Islamic=20
revolution was on the world agenda as it is now and Afghanistan was=20
invaded by the Soviets. It might be good for us to indulge in some=20
effort to give a historical perspective to what is unfolding today,=20
because it will help us to understand our present with more clarity=20
and depth than the US and Pakistan governments have thus far=20
encouraged. I, for one, was a child in the late 1970s, but my=20
memories are powerful and shaped my understanding of world politics=20
for the rest of my life.

It was 1979, and Ayatollah Khomeini's name had become a household=20
word. I had a dear classmate called Reza, who studied with me at the=20
International School of Islamabad, and who kept me briefed on the=20
reasons for an Islamic revolution in his home country. He was=20
frightened at the reports of violence on the streets of Teheran, but=20
reminded me as we rode the school bus to ISI (yes, that was the=20
school's name) every day that the Shah of Iran had brought terror to=20
his people and all of this with the support of the Americans. Reza=20
and his family survived the changes wrought by the new government,=20
and stayed on in Pakistan for a few more years.

But Leily did not stay on. She and I were part of an inseparable=20
group of four in our class known as the Mini Mafia, that included two=20
American girls. Leily spoke to me, all of age 13, about the wonders=20
the Shah's government had brought to the people of her country. She=20
said every home in her country had central air-conditioning and I=20
believed it. Her father worked in the Iranian Embassy in Islamabad,=20
and they lived in a beautiful bungalow in F-6/3. I thought her family=20
the gentlest, kindest people I had ever known.

One day, February 24, 1979 to be exact, my friend Jennifer from the=20
Mini Mafia phoned to say that Leily and her family had fled the=20
country during the night, to America, for fear of their lives. In the=20
morning Jennifer and I went to Leily's house, completely intact but=20
for the two suitcases of belongings they had been permitted to take=20
away with them. We cleared out her bedroom, going through photographs=20
and school notebooks, trying to keep what we could in case Leily=20
would come back. I couldn't stop my tears of disbelief and sadness at=20
my own loss. I began to understand something about the way in which=20
political justice can co-exist with personal devastation.

Jennifer's father had helped Leily's father to escape, with no small=20
cooperation from General Zia's government, a powerful new ally of the=20
United States. I learned that Leily's father had been head of the=20
dreaded Savak, Iranian intelligence agency, in Pakistan with a=20
mission to track down Iranian dissident students operating from=20
Pakistan against the Shah's government. After the Revolution, his=20
days were numbered. Jennifer's father, possibly through his own role=20
as a CIA agent operating undercover while working with the USAID=20
malaria control programme, got him out of the country and installed=20
in Virginia close to the CIA headquarters in Langley. They took on=20
Leily's father as a consultant for a little while. They still live in=20
America, bitter about the Revolution that shattered their lives, and=20
grateful to the US government for shielding them from what would have=20
been a violent end.

Islamabad never changed its tranquil idyllic facade in all the years=20
of covert war and the brutal government of General Zia. Its residents=20
knew little to nothing then about what was happening in Afghanistan=20
and the swelling refugee camps near Peshawar. Most people just agreed=20
that jehad against the Soviets was a good idea, US money was coming=20
in, and that somehow this was also linked to keeping our mouths shut=20
about Zulfikar Ali Bhutto. We had a sense that many Americans in our=20
midst were linked to the CIA, but that the pact our government had=20
made to stay alive meant that no one talked openly about it.

My school, though, was caught in the bizarre undercurrents of the=20
time. In the fall of 1979 Pakistani students attacked the US Embassy=20
an effort to seize the holy places at Mecca and Medina. The Embassy=20
was burnt and American citizens evacuated in one fell swoop. My class=20
size went from 25 to 6, with myself and Reza wondering why and how=20
our teachers and mentors had left us in the cold. A new headmaster,=20
Mr Keough, appeared, only to take himself off to Teheran, where he=20
had been headmaster before the Revolution, for a visit and find=20
himself one of a few hundred American hostages at the Embassy there.=20
Was he an agent of the CIA? If not, why would he visit Iran in the=20
throes of a Revolution whose fury was directed mainly at the likes of=20
him? We did not know the answers.

One day my new physics teacher, an American recruited after the=20
evacuation who came as part of the re-installation of US citizens two=20
years later in Pakistan, also vanished from the scene. He had sent a=20
school officer to pick up a cargo air freight for him at the airport.=20
When customs examined the air freight, it found arms instead of=20
personal belongings. The arms were part of the covert supply for=20
Afghan mujahideen, facilitated by no less than a physics teacher in=20
our midst. We heard later that the Pakistan government released him=20
back to the US in exchange for one of the Saifullahs caught smuggling=20
drugs in the US. By that time, we had a sense that conspiracy=20
theories were not so far-fetched after all and that some rumours are=20
quite likely to be true.

All this was years ago, but I find myself remembering the mood of my=20
childhood in Islamabad, and noticing that similar patterns are=20
emerging today. We have a general in charge again, whose political=20
life was uncertain before the new war and now seems underwritten if=20
not confirmed by a surge of support from the US. The reason and link=20
is the same this time, too -- military and intelligence cooperation=20
with the US to meet its objectives in Afghanistan. With the rush of=20
aid that is promised, USAID and a host of other American=20
organisations will sure come back to Islamabad. Intelligence is the=20
linch-pin of the war against terrorism, and no doubt Islamabad will=20
become the center of CIA and domestic intelligence collaboration all=20
over again.

With this new, or should I say old but revitalised, partnership will=20
come much aid. So too, will our plans for democracy probably be=20
written off -- at least for the time being. And Islamabad will become=20
the seat for covert operations of another jehad, this time a Crusade=20
by the West against "evil-doers" who "do not share our values". In=20
the name of the good, plenty of dirty, murky, covert operations will=20
take place with the collaboration of our government, that has little=20
choice but to choose the road to most likely survival.

Certainly there are some differences between this and the last Afghan=20
jehad, most important of which is that this war does not enjoy=20
overwhelming public support. But an ideology is being constructed in=20
Islamabad, new parameters within which political discourse will be=20
allowed to take place. Once again, there will be plenty of US spooks=20
in our midst, not to be acknowledged overtly, and their work will be=20
facilitated by another military government.

Once again, Islamabad will whisper about the changes, but not=20
challenge the new order lest the big bucks vanish all over again.=20
Once again, the excuse for all this activity and the cover-up of=20
political dissent will be the so-called welfare of the Afghan people.=20
Since Islamabadis, and indeed most Pakistanis, know little about=20
their neighbors across the borders and are loathe to think of the=20
horrors in the new refugee camps, they can continue in their absurd=20
assumptions about the rugged Afghans and their thirst for war.

As long as they are doing the fighting, we will think, we need not=20
look too closely. But we must remember, as journalist Robert Fisk has=20
pointed out, how many new Osamas will be fostered in the name of=20
winning this new war? And, I would add, in Pakistan how many new=20
US-supported 'crusaders' will be fostered in our backyards in the=20
name of keeping US hegemony intact? What kind of silent deals with=20
the US will Pakistan make in the exchange of prisoners, political=20
favours, arms, and suppression of truth about the war? Do we have a=20
right to know? Do we want to know?

______

#4.

The Telegraph

EDITORIAL/
FUNDAMENTALIST DANGER

It is a measure of the desperation being perceived by the sangh=20
parivar in Uttar Pradesh that it has chosen to rake up the Ayodhya=20
issue in the run-up to the assembly polls. The sangh parivar knows=20
from past experience that in UP there is nothing better than=20
religious passion to canvass votes in India's biggest province. At=20
the forefront of the act of trespass in the Babri=20
Masjid-Ramjanmabhoomi compound was the Vishwa Hindu Parishad. A first=20
information report has been filed against some of the VHP leaders.=20
But the wording of the VHP is striking in its inadequacy. The report=20
charges the accused of "obstructing government officials while on=20
public duty". It thus glosses over the simple fact that the accused=20
were also violating a Supreme Court order. The court had ordered that=20
status quo ante should be maintained on the site. But the VHP leaders=20
made it clear that they did not care too much about niceties of the=20
law. They were exercising, what they claimed, was their right of=20
worship. The very fact that the VHP leaders chose this particular=20
site, already riven with controversy, to exercise the right to=20
worship is enough to cast suspicion on their motives.

The VHP's action puts the prime minister, Mr Atal Bihari Vajpayee, in=20
a somewhat ticklish position. Mr Vajpayee has been trying since he=20
assumed office to distance his government from the policies and=20
actions of the more extreme Hindutva elements like the VHP, the=20
Bajrang Dal and even the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh. Distance has=20
not yet led to a confrontation between a Bharatiya Janata Party-led=20
government and a member of the extended Hindutva family. The act of=20
trespass perpetrated by the VHP pushes Mr Vajpayee's government close=20
to the brink of such a confrontation. The government, especially as=20
it is a coalition one, can ill afford to sit idle while a Supreme=20
Court order is violated. Mr Vajpayee cannot risk earning a reprimand=20
from the apex court. Neither can he risk the disapproval of his=20
coalition partners. This is one side of the tricky equation that Mr=20
Vajpayee will have to solve. On the other side, he cannot ignore that=20
he is the BJP's principal leader and he has an election to win in UP.=20
He and his party have no cards to play. Under the circumstances, the=20
VHP's attempts to whip up majority religious passions, at a time when=20
the most gross anti-Muslim sentiments are already in the air, might=20
appear to the BJP as a kind of godsend. Between Mr Vajpayee, the=20
prime minister of India, and Mr Vajpayee, the BJP leader, falls the=20
shadow of the challenge thrown out by the VHP. It will need all of Mr=20
Vajpayee's legendary political skills and more to balance both sides=20
of the equation.

Beyond the world of electoral politics and the cynical manipulation=20
of religious feelings, there are other issues that the action of the=20
VHP highlights. The world's opinion and intense condemnation has been=20
directed towards terrorism driven by religious fundamentalism. It=20
cannot be overlooked that the VHP and the Bajrang Dal also represent=20
religious fundamentalism and are not averse to using violence to=20
secure their ends. When Mr Vajpayee and Mr L.K. Advani speak against=20
terrorism in international fora, they should not forget their own=20
backyard.

______

#5.

The Telegraph

FOR THE RIGHT REASON

BY MUKUL KESAVAN

The acres of critical writing about September 11 seems to have=20
produced an anti-alliance stance that is actually the welding=20
together of two separate arguments. I think the two arguments need to=20
be prised apart because one makes sense and the other doesn't.=20
Keeping the two together also circumscribes the effort against the=20
war because many people who agree with the first argument are put off=20
by the second one.

The first argument opposes the bullying free world rhetoric of the=20
allies and the assault on Afghanistan that this rhetoric is designed=20
to legitimize. Anti-war intellectuals argue that intensive=20
bombardment will kill the non-combatant Afghan as surely as it will=20
damage the taliban. They point to American policies that helped kill=20
innocent civilians in Japan, Vietnam, Chile, Cambodia and Iraq and=20
argue that America's warlike self-righteousness is born of hypocrisy=20
and a selective amnesia. They warn that prolonged bombardment is=20
dangerous because it will tip Afghanistan further into famine, as the=20
war destroys an already rudimentary infrastructure and makes=20
organized aid impossible.

The American response has understandably been more about that=20
country's own grief and anger and suffering than the fate of Afghans=20
in a bombed-out country. Seven thousand lives in an hour is death on=20
a truly industrial scale, but Americans need to be reminded that in=20
the event of a famine, the Afghan body count would make September 11=20
seem like a peacetime accident.

This is a good, consistent position. To those who would challenge it=20
by asking, "What would you do if you were in Bush's position?" the=20
short answer is that America's critics are not in Bush's position.=20
Bush's vigilante idiom, his daft posturing about "smoking them out of=20
their holes", of getting bin Laden "dead or alive" is designed to=20
conjure up a sheriff administering frontier justice at the head of a=20
posse. It generally doesn't come out right; he ends up sounding like=20
a bounty hunter at the head of a lynch mob.

Even if you believe that the coalition is right to do what it does, a=20
writer's business is to anticipate how things might go tragically=20
wrong, to be sceptical of mass-produced rhetoric (and here Bush and=20
his cabinet are in a class of their own) and to challenge it by=20
citing duplicity and inconsistency. Most of all, any sane person is=20
entitled to ask what the human cost in Afghan lives will be, and how=20
much "collateral damage" is "acceptable".

The editor of a national daily, The Pioneer, said during a discussion=20
on Star News, that civilian casualties were inevitable in the course=20
of any bombardment, and that collateral damage was the price we had=20
to pay to extinguish terrorism. He declared, solemnly, that we had to=20
be willing to pay this price. He made it sound like a sacrifice which=20
was odd, given that the tab was being picked up by the Afghans, and=20
not by him in particular or the studio audience in general. It was=20
like a call to grit our teeth and duck each time a bomb fell on=20
Afghanistan.

But he raised an important question: if the Americans bombed=20
Afghanistan flat before sending their soldiers in (to avoid military=20
casualties), was that morally acceptable? How many dead Afghan=20
civilians, to rephrase Arundhati Roy's brutal comparison, equalled=20
one dead G.I.? It's worth remembering that the nuclear bombing of=20
Hiroshima and Nagasaki was justified on the grounds that it hastened=20
Japan's surrender, shortened the war and saved American men in=20
uniform from dying.

The second argument that seems to be a necessary part of the=20
anti-coalition, anti-war stance goes like this: the events of=20
September 11 are a consequence of American policy in west Asia in=20
particular and the Arab world in general. This is a very dodgy=20
argument and it weighs down the peace movement with baggage that it=20
doesn't need. When the anti-war intellectual turns historian and=20
tries to explain September 11 (as distinct from opposing its military=20
consequences), the argument becomes too eagerly accusatory and too=20
reflexively anti-American. The quick causal connection between=20
American skulduggery and greed in the Muslim world and the murdering=20
psychopaths who drove planes into the World Trade Center comes much=20
too easily.

How many of us looked for social/political/historical explanations=20
when the taliban shelled the two Bamiyan Buddhas into rubble? None of=20
us. We just said to ourselves, "It's the work of madmen or fanatics."=20
Why then, do we look for historicizing explanations when murderers of=20
the same stripe, knock down the twin towers of the WTC? Perhaps this=20
inconsistency has something to do with our need to tell Americans,=20
"Look, you had it coming." Maybe they did but that isn't why those=20
suicidal hijackers killed themselves and thousands of others.

I don't think those eager martyrs drove into the WTC because they=20
cared about babies dying in Iraq, or Palestine not being independent.=20
I think those hijackers were paid-up members of the cult of Arab=20
victimhood and they used legitimate Arab and Muslim grievances like=20
athletes use adrenalin. If those grievances hadn't existed, they=20
would have invented them.

It is wholly legitimate to use America's sponsorship of Israel to=20
explain, even to mitigate, the callousness of those Palestinians who=20
rejoiced when September 11 happened. And it is reasonable for critics=20
of American policy in west Asia or the Arab world, to list policies=20
that provoke people to loathe America. It's quite another thing to=20
say that those policies are why September 11 happened. That isn't why=20
those towers full of people were destroyed. To believe that is to=20
believe that the kar sevaks who felled the Babri Masjid did it=20
because they were driven by the wounds inflicted by medieval Muslim=20
vandalism. It is a dangerous, double-edged argument and one that we=20
should refuse. The allied bombardment of Afghanistan can be=20
eloquently and honorably opposed without pretending that the=20
murderers of September 11 were messengers from the Muslim world.

______

#6.

The Telegraph

OSHO AHEAD OF OSAMA

FROM K.P. NAYAR

Washington, Oct. 20:
With the fear of anthrax stalking the US from coast to coast, health=20
researchers and biological-weapons experts have discovered that the=20
first germ attack on American soil was conducted by an Indian not=20
long ago.

With the wisdom of hindsight, investigators into the incidents of=20
anthrax this month are citing the attack, allegedly organised by=20
Bhagwan Rajneesh, later christened Osho by his followers, in Oregon=20
in 1984.

A case study on the attack was undertaken by the highly respected=20
Journal of the American Medical Association (Jama) in 1997. The=20
attack in Oregon, now reconstructed by various sources, was targeted=20
at voters in a small town where Osho was setting up base after he=20
briefly abandoned his headquarters in Pune.

The small town, Dalles, tucked away in eastern Oregon's desert=20
landscape, was transformed between 1981 and 1986 by Osho who brought=20
in 3,000 to 4,000 of his followers, built a 4,500-ft paved airstrip,=20
a 44-acre reservoir, an 88,000-sq. ft. meeting hall and 90 of his 365=20
Rolls Royce cars. A ranch was bought by the Rajneesh Foundation=20
International for $5.75 million and a further $120 million was spent=20
on making it livable.

All these changes were met with stiff resistance from the local=20
people, but learning from booth capturing experiences in Indian=20
elections, Osho's followers are said to have bought local votes. They=20
renamed their town "Rajneeshpuram".

Before one such crucial election to decide the town's future, Osho's=20
followers launched a bio-terrorist attack on voters opposed to the=20
presence of the Hindu cult in Dalles, according to Pulitzer=20
prize-winning science writer for The New York Times, William Broad.

Broad has recounted details of Osho's alleged germ attack on Dalles=20
in the opening chapter of his authoritative book Germs: Biological=20
Weapons And America's Secret War, which he co-authored with two=20
others.

Broad has said after this month's incidence of anthrax that Osho's=20
followers "did this biological attack as a test whether they were=20
able to sicken a lot of people, to knock them out on election day.=20
They were going to pack the polls and get their candidates elected.=20
It was successful. It wasn't a lethal germ, but salmonella, a common=20
food poisoning".

Their tactic was to contaminate salad bars in 10 restaurants with=20
salmonella just before election day. A total of 751 persons who ate=20
at those salad bars were taken ill. But it was not until more than a=20
year after the outbreak that sufficient evidence was accumulated to=20
link the religious cult with the outbreak.

"This intentional outbreak of salmonella gastroenteritis may have=20
occurred (17) years ago, but... the outbreak in Oregon represents a=20
timely cause for concern," wrote Annette Flanagin, senior editor of=20
Jama.

With fear of anthrax sweeping the US, investigators now regret that=20
the warning by the medical community's voice was ignored. The issue=20
of the medical journal, devoted to the use of biological agents as=20
weapons was produced in association with Nobel Laureate and=20
microbiologist Joshua Lederberg of Rockefeller University in New York.

Lederberg warned four years ago that although the incident studied by=20
Jama was "small-scale... amateurish in design and ending with limited=20
malefaction ... [they] touch on a set of timeliest concerns that=20
unite national security and public health".

In words which seem prophetic after today's anthrax scare, Lederberg=20
and Flanagin wrote: "It is hoped that wider dissemination today of=20
the epidemiologic findings from the Dalles outbreak will lead to=20
greater awareness of the possibility of other incidents and earlier=20
recognition, when or if a similar incident occurs. This potential=20
benefit should outweigh the risk of a copycat incident".

When US attorney Charles Turner began investigating charges against=20
Osho's followers, members of the group allegedly conspired to murder=20
him. Two persons were tried on the charge and sentenced to five years=20
in prison in 1995 for conspiracy to commit murder.

Other followers who took part in the conspiracy were granted leniency=20
for cooperating with the prosecution. Osho himself was convicted of=20
immigration fraud and deported back to Pune a year after the germ=20
attack in Dalles. A mysterious fire subsequently destroyed the huge=20
house and indoor pool built by Osho.

In 1991, the ranch was purchased for $3.65 million by Dennis=20
Washington, a Montana rancher who also owns the famous Anaconda=20
Copper Mine.

But in Oregon, even today, rumours circulate about underground=20
tunnels, toxic waste and still-hidden weapons stockpiles in the=20
former Osho property.

South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996. To=20
subscribe send a blank
message to: <act-subscribe@yahoogroups.com> / To unsubscribe send a blank