[sacw] SACW #2. (07 Oct. 01)

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Sun, 7 Oct 2001 03:49:27 +0100

South Asia Citizens Wire | Dispatch #2.
http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex

#1. Bangladesh: Jamat to Share Power in Historic Irony
#2. Bangladesh Elections : The verdict and after
#3. India: Inter-community peace initiative
#4. India: Calcutta schoolgirls defy veil fatwa
#5. India: What the BJP leader said on TV reveals BJP's hidden agenda
#6. India: Violence against Christians continues - Method in the Sangh Madn=
ess
#7. India: The Crisis of the Power Sector: Financial Institutions,=20
IPP's and the Electricity Bill 2001
A Workshop
#8. India: Not in Public Interest - A critique of the Electricity Bill 2001

________________________

#1.

The Telegraph (India) | 7 October 2001

JAMAT TO SHARE POWER IN HISTORIC IRONY
FROM ASHIS CHAKRABARTI
Dhaka, Oct. 6:
The participation of the Jamat-e-Islami in the new government in=20
Bangladesh will be something of a historic irony for the nation. For=20
the party had not only opposed the then East Pakistani people's=20
liberation war in 1971 but actively supported the Pakistan government=20
and the anti-liberation forces.

The new government, headed by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party=20
leader, takes oath next Monday. In its election campaign, the Awami=20
League had appealed to the people to "protect the spirit of the=20
liberation war" by defeating the "razakars", as the anti-liberation=20
elements are known here.

The Jamat had been a peripheral political force in Bangladesh until=20
this election. In the 1996 elections, it could secure only three=20
seats and about 8 per cent of the popular vote. Its tally of 16 this=20
time is the result of its alliance with the BNP. Its vote share too=20
has nearly doubled this time.

The BNP hesitated in aligning with the Jamat in the past because of=20
the latter's tainted role in the country's liberation struggle.
But the arithmetic compulsions of uniting all anti-League votes and=20
the growing Islamic rhetoric of the Jamat forced the BNP's hands.
Although the BNP leadership maintains that the party's own massive=20
number in the new Parliament will enable it to keep the Jamat in=20
check, there are other indications as well.

Jamat "Ameer" (president) Maulana Motiur Rahman Nizami said yesterday=20
his party remained committed to its goal of "Islamisation" of the=20
whole country. He described the Awami League's humiliation as the=20
"defeat of un-Islamic forces".
Political analysts here argue, however, that the BNP will be cautious=20
in leaving greater political space to the Jamat whose influence has=20
been growing through its madrassas and hospitals in rural areas. "It=20
is most unlikely that Khaleda Zia will take the opportunity of her=20
alliance's two-thirds majority to concede the Jamat demand to change=20
the Constitution and declare Bangladesh an Islamic country," said BNP=20
spokesman Riazuddin Ahmad.

It may not happen now, but there is little doubt that the Jamat will=20
use its first-ever participation in the government to further promote=20
its Islamic agenda. In a way, that will be taking Bangladesh back to=20
the pre-1971 days in so far as its present secular character is=20
concerned.

_______

#2.

The Hindu | Sunday, October 07, 2001 | Opinion

The verdict and after
By HAROON HABIB

THE FOUR-PARTY alliance led by the Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP)=20
chief, Begum Khaleda Zia has got a stunning and unprecedented=20
two-thirds majority in the elections held on October 1. The polling=20
was generally peaceful and the voter turnout massive. The elections=20
for Bangladesh's eighth Parliament virtually wiped out the Awami=20
League, which lead the nation's War for Liberation from Pakistan and=20
was also the guardian of the nation's secular values and religious=20
tolerance.

The BNP-led alliance included the fundamentalist Jamaat-e-Islami and=20
the Islamic Oikya Jote(IOJ), whose ``reserved votes'' may have played=20
a vital role in the unprecedented electoral victory. But the results=20
are contested by the Awami League, which headed the last Government,=20
as ``nakedly manipulated under a blueprint'' by a syndicate of the=20
caretaker Government, the Chief Election Commissioner and the BNP-led=20
alliance.
The Awami League president, Sheikh Hasina, has given an ultimatum to=20
the Election Commission to cancel the results and announce a fresh=20
poll schedule by October 10. Otherwise, her party would launch a=20
``non-cooperation movement'' from the following day. ``We are not=20
going to accept the results... not going to take oath... what is the=20
justification in accepting some seats allotted to us by the=20
conspirators,'' she declared.
The two-thirds majority for the BNP and the fundamentalists gives=20
them the right to re-shape the polity of the country where the=20
Muslims are an overwhelming majority - the minorities are just a=20
little more than 10 per cent. The BNP-led Government can even change=20
the Constitution.

The BNP can form a Government on its own. But it may be difficult for=20
Begum Khaleda to ignore the radical Islamic partners. Bangladesh=20
could then get a Government which includes the religious=20
fundamentalists who had opposed independence from Pakistan and=20
collaborated with Pakistani troops in committing genocide.

The poll results belied the general expectation that it would be a=20
neck-and-neck race between the Awami League and the BNP-led alliance.=20
Begum Khaleda had claimed from the beginning that her alliance would=20
get two-thirds majority; she has been proved right.

Sheikh Hasina, however, maintains that the results were ``crudely=20
manipulated''. ``The people spontaneously cast their votes, but they=20
stunned to see the results. The caretaker Government has betrayed the=20
nation. It is a destruction of a noble system of conducting a free=20
and fair poll,'' she says. Sheikh Hasina has from the beginning been=20
alleging that the caretaker Government was partisan. She accused Mr.=20
Justice Rahman's administration of implementing a ``blueprint'' by=20
first staging an ``administrative coup'' and finally subverting the=20
popular mandate by a ``media coup''. She said the voting rights of=20
the people, restored after a long-drawn struggle against the military=20
and pseudo-democratic forces, were snatched in a ``very crude way''.
The Awami League's debacle was so complete that at least 20 Ministers=20
and party stalwarts lost, and this seems incredible to many. Most of=20
the major leaders of the fundamentalist parties have won.

Besides allegations of violence and intimidation, the Awami League=20
has raised questions about the fairness of the process of vote=20
counting, compilation and announcement of the results. The=20
allegations of booth-capturing, collaboration of a section of the=20
security forces with the BNP-led alliance, and threats to minority=20
voters cannot be blithely brushed aside. The country's civil society=20
leaders have alleged that 70 lakh people of the minority community=20
could not exercise their franchise. The South Asian Union against=20
Fundamentalism and Communalism has accused the caretaker Government=20
and the ``pro-Taliban'' four- party alliance of compelling the=20
minority voters not to go to the polling centres.

Sheikh Hasina has remarked that ``those who do terrorism in the name=20
of religion, those who do not believe in the very independence of=20
Bangladesh, would now form the Government.''

At her first news conference after the electoral victory, Begum=20
Khaleda, however, appealed for unity, peace and stability. She also=20
urged the Awami League to cooperate with her in combating ``terrorism=20
and corruption''. She said the people had voted against ``divisive=20
politics'' as they did not want to see a ``divided country''.
Begum Khaleda also appealed to her supporters to show tolerance, and=20
not to show disrespect to the portraits of the country's slain=20
founding hero, Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, which are displayed in streets=20
and offices. Unless the laws are amended, Mujib, whose killers are=20
condemned to death and their execution is awaiting approval of the=20
highest judiciary, will remain the ``Father of the Nation'' and the=20
day of his assassination will be treated as ``National Mourning Day''.
But the newspapers reported quick re-occupations of all university=20
dormitories, destruction of Mujib's portraits, and driving out of=20
Vice-Chancellors.

Religious fanaticism in the country could rise even if the BNP tries=20
to block it on tactical grounds, say commentators. There are also=20
apprehensions about whether the results have any link to the=20
developments after the September 11 terrorist attacks on America.=20
Osama bin Laden's followers are quite active in Bangladesh .
The concept of having a non-party caretaker Government has also been=20
called into question. Only time will tell what ultimately awaits=20
Bangladesh's democracy. By all indications, Sheikh Hasina, Mujib's=20
daughter, has chosen a path which is thorny.

Asked whether she would ultimately accept the results ``under=20
pressure'', she said: ``I am the daughter of such a person that I'd=20
rather die before I succumb. I have all the right to save my=20
country's image''.

______

#3.

Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001

INTER-COMMUNITY PEACE INITIATIVE
20, Jaswant Apartments, Okhala, New Delhi-110025
Tel:6332583, 6324452, E-Mail:
iqbalansari2001@h...

Dear friend,

4th October 2001

The ICPI (Inter- Community Peace Initiative) has been constituted to=20
work simultaneously for reform of the institutions of rule of law and=20
for prevention and resolution of intercommunity conflicts through=20
dialogue and other peaceful methods. We cannot achieve these goals=20
without co-ordinated efforts of all such groups and individuals who=20
are committed to the values of cultural pluralism,tolerance, peace=20
and justice, and whose work has direct or indirect bearing on their=20
promotion in the country. We earnestly seek your help, cooperation=20
and guidance in this work. It appears that in the coming months the=20
communal confrontation over Ayodhya and religious conversions will=20
get once again precipitated, whose consequences will be far more=20
disastrous than what happened in the past, as there are signs that a=20
section of the minority, though numerically and socially marginal, is=20
losing hope from the system and is contemplating seeking desperate=20
remedies. The VHP leaders have already announced that they are above=20
the law, and a law unto themselves and are planning to enforce their=20
will by force. The situation, therefore, calls for a concerted=20
effort towards taking peace offensive. This will require about half=20
the time and resources that we invest in post-violence inquiry,=20
relief and struggle.

In this regard it is planned to hold a meeting of Delhi based=20
voluntary organizations /groups working in the field , to discuss=20
ways and means of coordinating our efforts directed towards :-

(a) Making the State's law-enforcement agencies work impartially=20
for prevention And control of inter-group conflice /violence.
(b) Mass educational campaign in communally sensitive areas for=20
tolerance, peace and justice. (c) Constituting Ekta=20
committees/Conciliation Groups at local level in sensitive areas for=20
prevention and resolution of disputes.

Meeting will be held at : 5 PM Tuesday,9th October 2001
At GANDHI PEACE FOUNDATION 223, Deen Dayal Upadhyay Marg, New Delhi-2 [Indi=
a]

Please do attend.

With regards,
Yours sincerely,
N.D.Pancholi
Prof. Iqbal Ansari
Co-ordinator

______

#4.

The Times of India | 6 October 2001

Kolkata schoolgirls defy veil fatwa

KOLKATA: Muslim girls school here Saturday defied a written threat=20
that students over 15 must wear veils.
The threat, issued Wednesday by the little-known Mujahid-e-Islam=20
group, said the older girls at the Kolkata Muslim Orphanage Girls=20
High School must cover themselves up by October 6 or they "will face=20
serious consequences," police said.
But the students attended school Saturday amid stepped-up police=20
patrols and few girls were wearing veils.
"The deadline of the letter ends today and we have decided to keep=20
the school open and face the challenge," said a member of the=20
school's managing committee.
Some local Muslim leaders have also rejected the threat.
"Such a diktat is against the Koran and Muslims of the city will not=20
accept it," said Noorur Rahaman Barkati, imam of Calcutta's Tipu=20
Sultan mosque.
( AFP )

______

#5.

Indian Express | September 26, 2001

What the BJP leader said on TV reveals BJP's hidden agenda
Mr Modi's passion of hatred
by Suhel Seth

SOON after Black Tuesday, an episode of the TV programme -'The Big=20
Fight' - witnessed perhaps the unholiest war yet. One that this=20
country's government is raging against its own people: a war seeped=20
in hatred which will only fan communal tension. Narendra Modi,=20
general secretary of the BJP, also unleashed the party's hidden=20
agenda: scour the wounds inflicted by communalism to the extent that=20
it helps you win elections in states where your own government has=20
done precious little. But it is precisely the politics of hatred that=20
gave birth to a Bhindranwale in Punjab and to Osama bin Laden.

To equate Islam with terrorism is perhaps the biggest mistake we can=20
make and to say this so brazenly as Modi did will only further=20
alienate the secularists in Islam and I have no reason to believe=20
that there are any fewer Islamic secularists than there are Hindu=20
secularists. To equate Islam with ignorance just because Islam is a=20
younger religion - the point Modi made - smacks not just of ignorance=20
but a gross insensitivity.
What would Modi and his party like us to do in India as a fallout of=20
what happened in New York? Would he like us to destroy every edifice=20
of secularism that we have so patiently built and which his party has=20
destroyed? Would he like the people of India to be consumed by hate=20
rather than driven by a quest for real progress for real people?

Taking on an Islamic scholar of the eminence of Rafiq Zakaria without=20
scant regard either for his intellect or for his age is a testament=20
to the arrogance of this government. The same government which has=20
allowed people to go unpunished for scam after scam; a government=20
which has doled out ambassadorial positions to people just because=20
they were the overseas friends of the BJP; a government that has made=20
every attempt to shy away from any accountability. It is the politics=20
of today's India that is worrying.
Are we at all keen on becoming a civil society or should we be=20
content with the religious jingoism of Modi-speak? Would we be better=20
off telling Muslims that they don't belong or weave them into the=20
fabric of this country, especially at a time like this when they are=20
so vulnerable? An airplane crashed into a building in the US but what=20
about the damage we have inflicted on this country's secularist=20
outlook when some henchmen of this present government bought down the=20
Babri Masjid? In the aftermath of the WTC crash, I have been appalled=20
by statements of ''right-thinking'' individuals which suggest that=20
all Muslims are terrorists - a point that even Modi alluded to.
The government today has lost its right to rule if this is the=20
thought mandate that it doles out to its key functionaries. It is no=20
longer a government that governs. It's a government that attempts to=20
govern using the Toffler theory of prospering within chaos. That is=20
precisely why every right-minded Indian should be worried.
We have seen how this government buckles under every social=20
responsibility it needs to meet. Instead of focusing on today's=20
problems, when we should be concerned about the starving millions in=20
this country, we have a minister who is more keen about introducing=20
astrology. This government is better off defending scam-tainted=20
ministers and removing competent people like the Jagmohans of the=20
world.

The big question that should have been posed at the debate was what=20
if one of the terrorists in New York had been a Hindu. Would we all=20
have been painted as terrorists? Would then everything that we stand=20
for be eliminated because of one rotten apple? I guess we, as a=20
nation, are at a crossroads today: what needs to be the focus of our=20
attention is conveniently dusted under the carpet. So a government=20
can actually escape accountability to the Liberhan Commission for=20
what happened in Ayodhya or to the Venkataswamy Commission for the=20
ugliness of our defence establishment and indulge in mere tokenism=20
emerging out of deep religious alignments. If this is the government=20
that we are happy with, we will never ever solve Kashmir; we will=20
never ever have peace in the Northeast, or settle the hearts of=20
millions of Muslims in this country.

It is indeed a travesty of our times that around this time, last=20
year, Vajpayee paid obeisance to a couple of saints at Statten Island=20
in a city which today reels under a hatred bred out of religious=20
polarities, and yet today our foreign minister is the first to=20
articulate a need for a 'concert of nations' that must stand up=20
against terrorism. I ask you is the terrorism that the state=20
practices by fanning communal hatred any less of a crime than the one=20
perpetrated in New York? What Narendra Modi said on that evening was=20
yet another version of mass hatred that will have near fatal=20
consequences for the nation's polity. Yet we ignore it. And how=20
different are we as Hindus when we perpetrated our fair share of=20
cruelty on the Dalits? These are the core issues that today's India=20
needs to be seized with. For it is we in India who saw a burning=20
Graham Staines and raped nuns. It is we in India who have been=20
accused of causing riots to win a few votes.
Some days ago, Vajpayee reshuffled his cabinet hoping it would end=20
all confusion. But he needs to do more. He needs to introspect. The=20
secularist in him must awaken and control the damage that his own=20
party is doing to the nation. Or he will have the singular honour of=20
governing a fractured nation - where the politics of hatred has so=20
easily replaced the politics of progress. And I am not even talking=20
about the politics of accountability! It is this India that we need=20
to see, not the India that the Modis of this world would much rather=20
have. Vajpayee is the only statesman we've perhaps had in a long,=20
long time. But I'm sure he wishes to be known for the India he helped=20
unite rather than an India which he helped divide.
So let's not replace the bayonet with either the Koran or the Gita.=20
Let us not seek out hatred just because we wish to win the Assembly=20
elections in UP.

The time for healing could not be more appropriate..

______

#6.

HUMAN RIGHTS FEATURES
(Voice of the Asia-Pacific Human Rights Network)
B-6/6 Safdarjung Enclave Extension, New Delhi - 110 029, India

HRF/25/00
Embargoed for 28 August 2000

Violence against Christians continues - Method in the Sangh Madness

Between 1 January and 30 July 2000, more than 57 attacks on=20
Christians were reported in India bringing the situation to a now=20
three-year trend of systematic violence against this minority=20
population. On 24 February 1999, Home Minister L K Advani admitted in=20
the Upper House of Parliament that in 1998 alone there were 116=20
attacks against the Christian community. The recent attacks have=20
basically taken three forms: (1) attacks on priests and nuns; (2)=20
attacks on evangelists and disruption of prayer meetings; and (3)=20
pressure on churches, hospitals and other charitable institutions.=20
Attacks have generally taken place in areas where Christians are in a=20
small minority, though even this is beginning to change as a church=20
in the Catholic stronghold of Goa was recently hit as part of a=20
coordinated, nation-wide bombing attack on 8 June 2000.

Most of these attacks have been perpetrated by individuals connected=20
to the Sangh Parivar, which is comprised of rightwing Hindu=20
fundamentalist organisations including elements from the ruling=20
Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Vishwa Hindu Parishad (World Hindu=20
Council), Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), Bajrang Dal and Hindu=20
Jagran Manch. To date, almost no one has been convicted for=20
participating in these attacks, not even Mr. Dara Singh, the man=20
allegedly responsible for one of the most widely publicized attacks=20
-- the gruesome murder of Graham Staines and his young sons Philip=20
and Timothy on 22 January 1999 in Orissa.
It was not until he was en route to meet the Pope that Prime Minister=20
A. B. Vajpayee went on record about the problem. Even then, he stated=20
only that this was a law and order problem and therefore for the=20
States, not the Central Government, to address. Despite the=20
unprecedented level of violence and a stream of anti-Christian hate=20
speech flowing from Sangh Parivar members, the Prime Minister told=20
the Italian newspaper La Stampa that "[t]here is no ethnic war being=20
waged between Hindus and Christians" and that attacks on Christians=20
are merely "isolated acts and not an organised campaign". According=20
to Mr. Vajpayee, the only campaign that these acts are part of is a=20
campaign to malign the BJP led Government.
The attacks have almost always been accompanied by massive amounts of=20
anti-Christian hate literature. Pamphlets often include bogus bible=20
quotations distributed by the VHP, such as: "Jesus said to them,=20
those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them, bring=20
them over here and kill them in front of me - Luke Ch 19". Some=20
pamphlets also provide instructions on how to harass Christians. The=20
new RSS chief, K S Sudarshan, has warned of a holy war on the scale=20
of the wars of Hindu mythology after which the purported opposition=20
to Hindutva will be no more.

Notably, the VHP has just completed a weeklong training camp, held at=20
its headquarters in Ayodhya. Approximately 135 Bajrang Dal volunteers=20
participated in the programme in which they were trained in sharp=20
shooting and martial arts. The site was closed off to all outsiders,=20
and the daily schedule has been kept secret, though some Bajrang Dal=20
sources submit that it was modelled along the lines of Israel's=20
Mossad. The Bajrang Dal, a section of youth activists within the=20
Sangh, claims that the training was intended to counter the growing=20
influence of both Pakistani intelligence and anti-social elements=20
within society. Considering the Bajrang Dal's history of violence and=20
its ideological perspective that every Muslim may be an enemy agent=20
and any Christian considered anti-social, the statement of who the=20
training camp was targeting is far from reassuring.
It is important to understand the history of Sangh Parivar members in=20
hate campaigns. RSS cadres were active in instigating violence during=20
India's partition in 1947. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, the RSS=20
and VHP, for political purposes, actively cultivated hatred against=20
the Muslim population through their campaign to demolish the Babri=20
Masjid mosque in Ayodyha and to replace it with a temple dedicated to=20
the Hindu Lord Ram. On 6 December 1992, the Babri mosque was=20
destroyed, leading to massive communal violence across the country.=20
The VHP, RSS and Bajrang Dal were temporarily banned. According to=20
official statistics released in March 1993, a total of 9,968 people=20
(3,808 of the RSS, 3,769 of the VHP, 1,210 of Bajrang Dal, 985 of=20
Jammate-Islami Hind and 196 of the Islamic Sevak Sangh) were arrested=20
under the ban, though none of the key leaders responsible for=20
demolition of the Babri Mosque and subsequent communal riots were=20
among those arrested. One person who was charge-sheeted for=20
demolition of the Babri Mosque is the present Union Home Minister.
The Sangh Parivar has subsequently turned against India's small=20
Christian community, and much of its anti-Christian discourse is=20
strikingly similar to the rhetoric previously used against Muslims.=20
Anti-Muslim propaganda, which perhaps peaked in the early 1990s, was=20
largely based on spurious demographic evidence that the Muslim=20
population was growing faster than the Hindu population, and=20
therefore people holding "foreign" beliefs, i.e., Islam, would soon=20
hold a majority. These days, the Sangh Parivar speaks of a Christian=20
community that grows out of control due to missionary=20
proselytisation. Also, charges used to be made that Muslim=20
anti-national activities were being funded by foreign petro-dollars.=20
Today, Christian missionaries are accused of using funds from abroad=20
to finance armed insurgency groups in the Northeast.

Christianity is not new to India. It has been practiced in the=20
subcontinent since St Thomas sailed here in 52 A.D. The recent=20
attacks are, therefore, not a response to any recent contact with=20
Christianity. While Hindu fundamentalists have generically labelled=20
all missionaries as foreigners, Christians in India are=20
overwhelmingly Indian, not foreign. In fact, as a general rule,=20
foreign missionaries are not allowed to work in India as they are=20
denied work visas. Also, if they are taking place, conversions to=20
Christianity have not changed the demographic composition of India.=20
For the entire twentieth century, the number of Christians has=20
hovered around 2.5 per cent of the national population. In fact,=20
the percentage of Christians in India has fallen from 2.6 to 2.4 to=20
2.3 in the last three censuses. As another measure of comparison:=20
between 1981 and 1991, the Christian population rose from 16.1=20
million to 19.6 million, while in that same period the Hindu=20
population rose from 549.7 million to 687.6 million.

Three States, Orissa, Madhya Pradesh and Arunachal Pradesh passed=20
their own Freedom of Religion Acts in 1967, 1968 and 1978=20
respectively. On three previous occasions, the Union Government had=20
unsuccessfully tried to pass similar legislation. These so-called=20
"Freedom of Religion" Acts are, in actuality, legislative mechanisms=20
for inhibiting individuals' freedom of religion and thought -- under=20
the guise of protecting against conversion (e.g., to Christianity) by=20
force, fraud or inducement. Recent proposals also include the=20
Gujarat Freedom of Religion Bill (Bill No. 21 of 1999) and Uttar=20
Pradesh's Freedom of Religion Bill, 2000. As proposed, these bills=20
can be easily manipulated by Hindu fundamentalists and thus become a=20
way of "legally" harassing religious minorities by making false=20
accusations. As presently conceived, the proposed Bill would violate=20
Article 25 of the Indian Constitution ("freedom of conscience and the=20
right freely to profess, practice and propagate religion").

A recent development has been the implementation of a "re-conversion"=20
programme called "Ghar Wapasi," or "homecoming" movement, generally=20
attributed to BJP Member of Parliament Mr. Dilip Kumar Judeo. Mr.=20
Judeo has described missionaries as "part of an international Satanic=20
conspiracy" and declared re-conversion the "greatest public service=20
in the national interest." Judeo's Akhil Bhartiya Vanvasi Kalyan=20
Ashram claims to have converted 165,000 people from tribal areas of=20
Madhya Pradesh, Orissa and Bihar in 17 years, and aims to convert=20
another 50,000 Christians each year. These "re-conversions" typically=20
involve a significant amount of coercion, as well as promises of=20
State largesse for the re-Hinduized villages. In this manner, the=20
practitioners of re-conversion employ many of the unsavoury tactics=20
they otherwise attribute to the Christian missionaries.

The National Democratic Alliance Government's general dismissal of=20
the attacks on Christians as a law and order problem for State=20
governments to address is at odds with the Government's attitude=20
towards other threats to public order. It also ignores the fact that=20
the attacks, and the Government's failure to address them, involve=20
violations of the Constitution. The attacks also obviously constitute=20
offences under the Indian Penal Code.
In 1998 and 1999, the National Commission for Minorities (NCM) was=20
vocal about the attacks on Christian minorities and conducted several=20
inquiries. Since the end of the term of the previous Chairperson, the=20
NCM has generally maintained a studied silence and failed to earn the=20
confidence of Christian groups. The NCM has called for a meeting=20
between Christian leaders and the VHP leaders, but it failed to=20
transpire because the Christian organisations criticised the=20
involvement of the VHP as though it represents the Hindu population.=20
Also to the dismay of Christian community leaders, an NCM report in=20
April 2000 concluded that a series of attacks on Christian schools=20
and churches in Agra, Mathura, Kosi Kalan and Rewari were simply the=20
acts of petty criminals or accidents.

The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) notified State=20
Governments to submit reports about attacks on Christians within two=20
weeks, but the NHRC's subsequent actions were exceptionally weak. The=20
NHRC has only advised the Hindu fundamentalist organisations to=20
denounce the hate-campaign. The unwillingness of the NHRC (and the=20
NCM) to hold those perpetrating and instigating this violence=20
accountable and to demand responsible action by the Government is a=20
mistake. The unfolding crisis requires strong and independent action=20
by these institutions. The atrocities against Christians pose a real=20
and accelerating challenge for India's secular democracy. The=20
situation is certain to deteriorate even further if responsible=20
action by officials in positions of authority is not forthcoming.

- Human Rights Feature

______

#7.

Dear Friends,

The Delhi Science Forum, along with other organizations such as National
Working Group on Power, Narmada Bachao Andolan (NBA), Electrical Employees
Federation of India (EEFI), All India Federation of Electrical Employees
(AIFEE), National Federation of Officers Association of Central Public
Sector Undertakings (NCOACPSU), All India Power Engineers Federation
(AIPEF), Prayas and YMCA, is organizing a workshop on the power Sector on
6th and 7th October 2001 at International Conference Building YMCA. This
workshop will address the issues arising out of the Electricity Bill 2001
that has been placed in the Parliament and the imminent collapse of the
public financial Institutions due to very high exposure in disastrous IPP
Projects such as Dhabol.
On behalf of Delhi Science Forum, and other sponsoring organisations we
invite you and your organization to participate in the workshop.

I am enclosing an outline of the Workshop and a Programme for the same.

With regards
Prabir Purkaystha
Secretary DSF

o o o
The Crisis of the Power Sector: Financial Institutions, IPP's and the=20
Electricity Bill 2001
A Workshop on 6th & 7th October, 2001, Int. Conf. Centre, YMCA, Jai=20
Singh Road, New Delhi
The last decade has seen enormous changes in the structure of the=20
Indian economy. Some of the most significant changes have been in the=20
infrastructure sector -- especially the power sector. In 1991, the=20
Indian Electricity Act was amended to allow private generation.=20
Simultaneously, the World Bank IMF prescriptions of unbundling the=20
power sector was thrust upon the different states in the name of=20
"reforms", usually as a pre-condition for loans. Public Financial=20
Institutions also were coerced to provide funds to private=20
generation. The net results are spiralling electricity rates,=20
bankrupt power utilities and now the imminent collapse of public=20
financial institutions.
The Delhi Science Forum is holding a workshop in Delhi on 6th & 7th=20
October 2001 to examine the Electricity Bill 2001 and the=20
implications of siphoning of public finances for IPP's. The=20
organisations that have agreed to co-sponsor the workshop are=20
National Working Group on Power, EEFI, AIFFE, AIPEF, NBA, NCOACPSU,=20
All India Power Engineers Federation, Prayas, YMCA, etc. The workshop=20
will discuss the various provisions of the Electricity Bill 2001, the=20
state of the Financial Institutions, and also take up case studies=20
regarding financing of the IPP's. We know that in the days to come=20
both the health and security of the investments and savings of small=20
investors and the possibility of the continued economic existence of=20
all agricultural and industrial producers will depend on this issue.=20
Therefore we invite all of you to attend this consultation and find=20
collective ways of fighting such policies.
Venue: Int. Conf. Centre, YMCA, Jai Singh Road, New Delhi
Programme
6th October 2001 - 1.00 P.M - 5.00 P.M: The Electricity Bill 2001 and=20
It's Implications
Chair: M. K. Sambamurthi
Electricity Bill 2001: An Overview -- Prabir Purkayastha
The Politics of Power: Arundhati Roy
The Bill 2001 and Restructuring SEB's -- N.S.Vasant
Electricity Bill and Its Impact On Generation Projects -- Ashok Rao
The Bill 2001: Regulatory Structures - Prayas
The Bill 2001: Impact on the People and the Employees - B. S. Meel
7th October 2001 - 9.30 A.M - 1.30 P.M: Financing the IPP's: Private=20
Loot of Public Finances
Chair: S. P. Shukla
Crisis of the Financial Sector: Deepak Nayyar subject to confirmation
The Public Financial Institutions and the IPP's: An Overview - Sucheta Dala=
A Case Study of Dabhol -- Abhay Mehta/Sunip Sen
A Case Study of Maheshwar - Chittoroopa Palit
A Case Study of Spectrum Godavari Project - Prashant Bhushan
2.30 P.M to 3.45 P.M: Resolution of the Workshop
Discussions
4.00 P.M to 6.00 P.M: Round Table (Subject to Confirmation)
V. P. Singh, A. B. Bardhan, Sitaram Yechuri, A.Balanandan,=20
Manishankar Aiyar, Kapil Sibal

______

#8.

NOT IN PUBLIC INTEREST - A critique of the Electricity Bill 2001

by the National Working Group on Power Sector [India]

Convenor Mr. K. Ashok Rao
J 152 Saket, New Delhi 110017 India

2nd October, 2001

[Full text of the analysis of the Electricity Bill recently=20
introduced in Indian Parliament is available to all' is available to=20
all on request. For a copy send message to <aiindex@m...>]

South Asia Citizens Web (http://www.mnet.fr/aiindex) since 1996. Dispatch
archive from 1998 can be accessed at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/act/messages/ . To subscribe send a blank