[sacw] S A A N Post | 8 Sept. 00

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 10:41:52 +0200

South Asians Against Nukes Post

#1. On Pakistan Nuclear Waste Management
#2. Nuclear safety and security in South Asia"
#3. India: National Convention For Nuclear Disarmament & Peace
#4. South Asia Anti Nuke Book Proposal Appeal

#1.

Pakistan Nuclear Waste Management

Pakistan Federal Minister for Environment and Local Government Omar
Asghar Khan reported that the Pakistani government was creating a nuclear
regulatory board, which would oversee the transportation, storage, and
geological disposal of nuclear waste.

"Pak. to set up board on nuclear waste"
http://www.indiaserver.com/thehindu/2000/08/28/stories/03280009.htm

#2.

Stanford University hosted a seminar on "Nuclear safety and security in
South Asia" in Thailand on August 11-12, with participation by US,
Indian, and Pakistani academics and government officials. They discussed
their perspectives on nuclear decision-making and deterrence in South
Asia, nuclear weapons safety, arms control verification technologies,
confidence building measures, and future courses of action.

"Dialogue with Pakistan"
http://www.timesofindia.com/210800/21edit4.htm

_____

#3.

NATIONAL CONVENTION
for NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT
and PEACE
11-13 November 2000
Delhi

Dear Friend,

The testing of nuclear weapons by India in May 1998 (followed by Pakistan)
and its reprehensible entry into the Nuclear Club violated India's own
principled stance against nuclear weapons for over 50 years. In protest
against this volte-face by the government, many organisations and groups
around the country, which have steadily supported global nuclear
disarmament, intensified their campaign to halt and reverse the process.
More than 40 cities have witnessed such protests. They have marched,
demonstrated, campaigned, and lobbied for total nuclear disarmament in Indi=
and around the globe.

The peace movement is now growing in India, but it has not yet had a
nation-wide identity and co-ordinated presence on a large enough scale. To
help co-ordinate this effort, representatives of several peace groups from
different parts of India met in Nagpur on 26 March and again on 30 July 200=
0
to plan a broad-based National Convention for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace=
.
We expect about 500 delegates at the Convention including a strong
contingent of peace activists from abroad.

On behalf of the Organising Committee set up in that effort, we would like
to invite you/a representative of your organisation to the National
Convention that is going to be held in New Delhi from 11 to 13 November
2000. Your presence at the Convention would be especially valuable as a
representative of the global peace movement and the world-wide effort for
nuclear restraint and disarmament. It will give you and peace activists fro=
here an opportunity to share ideas and experiences.

Unfortunately, owing a lack of funds, we will not be able to reimburse your
travel expenses. We will however provide board, lodging and transport durin=
your stay in Delhi, including some home-stays.

The broad aims and objectives and an outline of the proposed programme alon=
with a list of the sponsoring organisations (as on 25 August 2000) are
appended to this letter.

We shall shortly send you the Draft Charter for Nuclear Disarmament and
Peace being prepared by the many organisations and individuals involved in
the Nagpur meetings.

We hope that the National Convention will clarify views, provide
information, and help plan co-ordinated strategies as well as demonstrate
the global solidarity of the peace movement. We appeal to you to participat=
in the Convention and contribute in all possible ways for its success.

We look forward to hearing of your participation. All communications can be
sent to the Secretariat located at the address given below.

In Solidarity,

N.D.Jayaprakash
On behalf of the Organising Committee,
National Convention for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace,
C/o Delhi Science Forum,
B -1, Second Floor, L.S.C.,
J - Block, Saket,
New Delhi 110017
INDIA

Tel. nos.+91-11-652-4324; +91-11-652-2053;
Telefax: +91-11-686-2716
E-mail: natcon2000@f...
-----
---------------------------
Appendices:

NATIONAL CONVENTION FOR NUCLEAR DISARMAMENT AND PEACE

AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
To consolidate and strengthen the campaign to prevent a nuclear
holocaust.
To educate the public on the horrors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, and
the continuing suffering of victims of nuclear weapon tests.
 To work for a nuclear weapons-free world and to support all effort=
in pursuit of this goal.
 To halt and roll back all nuclear weapons-related activities of
India and Pakistan.
 To oppose assembly, induction and deployment of nuclear weapons.
 To oppose acquisition, development and deployment of nuclear
weapons-specific delivery systems, including ballistic missiles.
 To oppose advanced research on and testing of nuclear weapons.
 To seek compensation and reparations to all victims for damage to
health and the environment conditions by activities related to all aspects
of fissile material production and use.
 To seek immediate no-first-use pledge by all the nuclear weapon
powers.
 To seek immediate de-alerting of deployed nuclear weapons on
hair-trigger alert.
 To seek immediate freeze on the entire global nuclear weapons
stockpile.
 To seek a commitment from all nuclear weapon powers for time-bound
nuclear disarmament through a process of rapid, systematic, and continuous
reduction of their nuclear arsenals.
 To persuade the Government of India to return to the global nuclea=
disarmament agenda.

PROGRAMME OUTLINE
The National Convention shall discuss and debate the following issues befor=
proceeding to adopt the Charter for Nuclear Disarmament & Peace and the
Action Plan:
 History of the Nuclear Arms Race[*]
 History of Nuclear Disarmament Movements[*]
 Nuclear War-Fighting/'Star-War' Doctrines, Weapons Stockpile and
Infrastructure
 The Case Against Nuclear Weapons with Special Reference to South
Asia
 Social, Economic & Political Costs of the Nuclear Arms Race:
Lessons for India and Pakistan
 Militarism, National Security and Common Security
 Role of the UN and the Non-Aligned Movement in Preventing Nuclear
Holocaust
 Incremental Steps for Nuclear Arms Control and Disarmament:
Lessons and Perspectives (No-First-Use, NPT, CTBT,
De-alerting, Weapons Freeze, etc.)
 Strengthening the Movement for Nuclear Disarmament and Peace:
International/Indian Experience[*]
 Nuclear Weapons and the Scientific Community
 Hazards of Fissile Material Production and Use: Human and
Environmental Costs
 Nuclear Weapons and nuclear Power: The Connections
 Culture of Militarisation: Impact on Women, Minorities, Education,
Media, etc.
 Educational Campaign Methods for Nuclear Disarmament
 Cultural Campaign Methods for Promoting Nuclear Disarmament
(Choir, Theatre, Slide shows, Exhibitions, Videos, Films)
 Role of Political Parties in Promoting Nuclear Disarmament
 Organising the Peace Movement: Role of Sectoral Groups and
Organisations
(Artists, Doctors, Engineers, Environmentalists, Gandhians, Human Rights
Activists, Journalists, Lawyers, Scientists, Students, Teachers, Trade
Unionists, Women's Groups, Youth, etc.)
[*] These are Plenary Sessions

SPONSORING ORGANISATIONS
As on August 25, 2000 those sponsoring the National Convention include:
 All India Peace and Solidarity Organisation (AIPSO)
 All India Peoples' Science Network (AIPSN)
 Anti-nuclear Movement, Nagpur
 Anumukti, Vedchhi (Gujarat)
 Bangalore Platform Against Nuclear Weapons, Bangalore [AIBEA
(Canara Bank); Alternate Lawyers Forum; BEL Employees Union; Centre for
Education and Documentation; Citizens Against Nuclear Energy; Documentation
and Dissemination Centre for Disarmament Information; Federation of
Voluntary Organisations for Rural Development; Gandhi Peace Centre; General
Insurance Employees Union; Indian Scientists Against Nuclear Weapons;
International Energy Initiative; Karnataka State Peace and Solidarity
Organisation; Manasa; New Entity for Social Action; Peoples Union for Civil
Liberties; Pipal Tree; Samvada; Science for Society; Anglo-Indian Guild;
Visthar; Bharat Gyan Vigyan Samiti]
 Campaign Against Nuclear Weapons, Calcutta
 Chhattisgarh Anu Mukti Manch, Chattisgarh
 Delhi Forum, Delhi
 Delhi Science Forum, Delhi
 Ekta, Mumbai
 Gandhi Peace Foundation, Delhi
 Greenpeace-India
 India Peace Centre, Nagpur
 Indian Scientists Against Nuclear Weapons, Chennai
 Indian National Social Action Forum (INSAF)
 Indian Institute for Peace, Disarmament and Environmental
Protection, Nagpur
 Indian Social Institute, Delhi
 Institute of Social Studies, Delhi
 Jharkhandi's Organisation Against Radiation, Jadugora
 Journalists Against Nuclear Weapons, Chennai
 Lok Abhiyan, Lucknow
 Movement in India for Nuclear Disarmament (MIND), Delhi
 Movement in India for Nuclear Disarmament (MIND), Mumbai
 National Alliance of Peoples Movements (NAPM), Delhi
 National Alliance of Peoples Movements (NAPM), Nagpur
 National Council of Churches in India (NCCI), Nagpur
 National Federation of Indian Women (NFIW)
 PEACE, Delhi
 People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Delhi
 People's Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL), Jaipur
 People's Union for Democratic Rights (PUDR), Delhi
 Physicians for Peace, Chennai
 Public Interest Research Centre, Delhi
 Saheli, Delhi
 SAHMAT, Delhi
 Student Christian Movement, Trivandrum
 Vikas Adhayan Kendra, Mumbai
 Wan Kamgar Sanghathna, Nagpur
 Youth for Nuclear Disarmament (YND), Delhi
 Youth for Unity and Voluntary Action (YUVA), Nagpur

Natcon2000 Delhi
PRE-REGISTRATION FORM
(FILL IN CAPITALS)

Name in full:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6.
[First name] [Middle Name] [Surname]

Sex:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..Age:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6...

Occupation/Profession:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..

Representing (Name of Organisation)=D6=D6:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..

Position in Organisation:=D6=D6...=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6.

Mailing Address:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..=D6=D6=
..=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6

=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6.=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..

=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6..

PIN Code:=D6=D6=D6..=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6.Country:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6

Passport No.:=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6...Place of Issue:=D6=D6.=D6=D6=
=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6=D6.