[sacw] Narmada & Bhopal Protest on 11 sept in San Francisco

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 22:52:00 +0200

FYI
Harsh Kapoor
-----------------

PROTEST AGAINST SARDAR SAROVAR DAM ON SEPT. 11 IN SF!
DEMAND NO MORE BHOPALS!!

On Sept. 11, Indian Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee will give a talk at
Davies Hall in San Francisco. We urge you to join us for a demonstration of
our support for people fighting dams in the Narmada valley and Bhopal
victims demanding justice from Union Carbide and the Indian government.

DATE: Monday, September, 11, 2000
PLACE: in front of Davies Hall, San Francisco
201 Van Ness Avenue (near Grove St.)
TIME: 5.30 to 7.00 PM

STOP SSP!
Right now, people are determined to face the unjust submergence of their
homes and villages for the massive Sardar Sarovar Project. If built, the
project would displace at least 500,000 people for the dam, irrigation
canals and associated infrastructure. No land exists for full resettlement.
In the 15-year-long battle, people have challenged not just the social,
economic and ecological viability of this gigantic $8.1 billion project,
but challenged the very concept of development that uproots millions of
tribal and peasant communities.

NO MORE BHOPALS!
On December 3, 1984, over 40 tons of lethal gases leaked from US-based
Union Carbide's pesticide factory in Bhopal, killing over 8,000 people and
injuring another 500,000. Official figures show that more people have died
in subsequent years and that 10-15 people die each month from
exposure-related complications. The current death toll is well over 16,000
and there appears no end to the physical and mental suffering for Bhopal
residents. While most evidence points to corporate negligence, Union
Carbide continues to blame a "disgruntled employee" for the accident.

Long overdue, Bhopal victims are demanding justice from Union Carbide and
calling on the Indian government to end their close collaboration with
criminal corporations to ensure NO MORE BHOPALS!!

We urge you to join us in San Francisco on September 11 to demand justice
for people fighting in the Narmada valley and Bhopal! If you can't attend,
be sure to sign the online petition to the Prime Minister at
http://www.irn.org/programs/india/petition.000823.html.

In solidarity,

Amrita Patwardhan and Susanne Wong, International Rivers Network
Amit Srivastava, Corporate Watch
------------------------------

DIRECTIONS
>From Bart, get off at Civic Center. Walk down Grove St. until you reach
Van Ness Ave.
By car (from the East Bay), take 80 West to SF and exit at Ninth St./Civic
Center. Turn left onto Harrison St. Turn right onto 9th St. Turn slight
left onto Hayes St. and turn right onto Van Ness.
>From the South Bay, take 101 North to SF, take the Duboce Ave./Mission St.
exit. Turn right onto Mission St. Turn left on S. Van Ness Ave.

FOR MORE INFO:
For info on the Narmada struggle, go to www.narmada.org or email
swong@i...
For information on Bhopal, visit http://www.corpwatch.org/bhopal or email