[sacw] Indo-Pak Citizens Statement for Peace

aiindex@mnet.fr aiindex@mnet.fr
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 16:58:07 +0200

June 1, 1999
Please share this important press release widely among South asians, to
the international media and to peace activists from the world over.
(South Asia Citizens Web)
PRESS RELEASE (URGENT !!)

JOINT STATEMENT ISSUED TODAY TO THE PRESS SIMULTANEOUSLY IN KARACHI AND
DELHI BY PROMINENT PAKSITANI AND INDIAN CITIZENS

"We, the members of Association of people's of Asia, Indian and Pakistan
chapters, and concerned citizens make an earnest appeal to the
Governments of India and Pakistan to exercise restraint, stop
hostilities, on the Kashmir front, and save our valuable resources for
the betterment of the people, specially the poor and the needy of both
countries. Both the countries cannot afford such adventures. We also
appeal to the people of both the countries to build up a strong peace
initiative to bring moral pressure on their respective Governments.
Human life on both sides is precious, any killing is a loss to both our
countries. Let us follow the path of sanity and develop good neighbourly
relations in order to solve our problems."

PAKISTAN:
1. Dr. Zaki Hasan
2. Dr. Mubarak Ali
3. Mr. Shakil Ahmed Baloch
4. Mr. Tahir Muhammad Khan
5. Mr. M. B. Naqvi
6. Dr. Aly Ercelawn
7. Mr. B. M. Kutty
8. Mr. Abdul Khaliq Junejo
9. Mr. Karamat Ali
10. Mr. Rochi Ram Advocate
11. Maulana Obaidullah Bhutto
12. Mr. Akhtar Hussain Advocate
13. Mr. Ghulam Kibria
14. Mrs. Anis Haroon
15. Mrs. Iqbal Sultana
16. Mr. Farid Awan
17. Mr. Usman Baloch
18. Miss Farhat Parveen
19. Mr. Sharafat Ali
20. Mr. Mujahid Barelvi
21. Mr. Baseer Naveed
22. Dr. M. A. Mehboob
23. Dr. A. Aziz
24. Mr. Naseer Rizvi
25. Ms. Sarah Siddiqui

INDIA:
1. Mr. B.K. Nehru
2. Maulana Vahiduddin Khan
3. Mr. Mrinal Sen (Member of Parliament)
4. Mr. Kuldip Nayar (Member of Parliament)
5. Ms. Shabana Azmi (Member of Parliament)
6. Ms. Nirmala Deshpande (Member of Parliament)
7. Dr. Kartar Singh Duggal (Member of Parliament)
8. Mr. Jayant Kumar Malhotra (Member of Parliament)
9. Ms. Sonal Mansingh
10. Ms. Syeda Hameed
11. Mr. Kedar Nath Singh
12. Prof.Namwar Singh