[sacw] Statement by scholars & activists on recent events in Pakistan

amrita chhachhi amrita.domain.unknown@janak.org
Tue, 11 May 1999 02:28:46 -0700

PLEASE CIRCULATE WIDELY !!
=============================
8 May 1999, Amsterdam

We fellows of The Transnational Institute, scholars and activists from
different parts of the world attending this international meeting strongly
condemn the systematic harrasment of journalists,
specifically those who have been opposing nuclearisation of Pakistan. We are
deeply concerned at the recent spate of abductions and arrests of senior
journalists like Najam Sethi and the
ransacking of the house of Imtiaz Alam a noted columnist. We demand the
immediate release of Mr Sethi.

We also condemn the decision of Pakistani and Indian governments to
celebrate the anniversary of Nuclear tests conducted on May 11 and 28 last
year. We call upon the two governments to
refrain from proceeding with Nuclear and Missile development. We demand that
the five official Nuclear weapons states immediatly initiate negotiations on
complete Nuclear disarmament in
accordance with their obligation under Article 6 of the NPT, the mandate of
the World court and the repeated request of the UN General assembly.

Signed by:

Susan George (France)
Peter Weiss (U.S.)
Hilary Wainright (U.K.)