[sacw] Working-groups PPC Conference 1

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:44:06 +0100

The following texts were drawn up in the 9 different working groups that
met at the Pakistan Peace Coalition (PPC) Conference, 27-28 February 1999,
Karachi. They are posted here in two parts. This message contains Part 1.
Please Distribute Widely !
// South Asia Citizens Web & South Asians Against Nukes//

Group-1 : (Security and Disarmament),
(Role of north and international peace movements)
Facilitator : Parveez Hoodbhoy, A.H.Nayyar, Zia Mian and
Beena Sarwar
Resource Persons: Eqbal Ahmed, Zafar Choudhry, Asghar Khan
A.R.Siddiqui, Dr. Tipu Sultan, M.B.Naqvi and
Dr. Haroon Ahmed

The working group on Disarmament and Security and the role of North
and International Peace Movements hereby recommend the following
measures to be implemented by all governments particularly those of
Pakistan and India.

1. Every effort be made towards abolishing nuclear weapons worldwide.

2. All countries agree to the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaties and
international agreements that forbid the testing of nuclear
weapons.

3. The production of fissile materials be halted forthwith and
existing stocks be converted to civilian use.

4. Pakistan and India enter a no-war pact

5. We welcome the initiative by the Prime Ministers of Pakistan and
India to resolve all outstanding disputes, including the Kashmir
issue through negotiations rather than force of arms.

6. We call upon both governments not to deploy nuclear weapons, to
refrain from further ballistic missile development and to engage in
all possible confidence building measures that will improve
relations, and to refrain from hostile propaganda against each
other.

7. We call upon the United States to withdraw its military forces
from the Indian Ocean, not to conduct militancy exercises in this
region and to respect this region as a nuclear weapons free zone.

8. While we believe in total disarmament and non nuclearization,
nevertheless we call for incremental steps towards this goal; we
call upon both countries to sign a no-war no-aggression treaty
bilaterally, together with a declaration that neither country will
use its nuclear capability first. We also urge the NATO countries
to declare that they will not use nuclear weapons against a non-
nuclear state or use nuclear weapons first in a state of conflict.

9. We urge governments to reduce expenditure on conventional weapons
by 25% each year and divert those resources to social needs.

10. This session resolves to create an alternative Defence Committee
comprising Air Marshal Zafar Chaudhry, Dr. Mubashir Hasan, Brig.
Retd. A. R. Siddiqui and M. B. Naqvi and submit its report to
Pakistan Peace Coalition by 28th May 1999.

11. Urge upon the peace movements in both the countries to strengthen
the civil society through mass contact and urge upon the
governments to relax naval restrictions and encourage cultural
and academic exchanges.

Group-2 : (Economics of War and Peace)
Facilitator : Haris Gazdar and Asad Sayeed
Resource persons: Kaiser Bengali, Zainab Latif, Ali Ercelawn and
Shahid Kardar

Relevance
---------
There was consensus in the group that the economic arguments for
peace are strong and overwhelming. Many of the issues in developing
the Economics for Peace are well-known, while many require further
research, fact-finding, and analysis. There does need to be much
greater lobbying, dissemination, exposure and education.

Three main areas of work emerged from the group discussions: firstly,
the budgetary burden of military expenditures, secondly, the
militarisation of economy and society, and thirdly, possible benefits
of greater regional economic cooperation and trade.

Budgetary burden
----------------
At one level this issue is relatively well-known. Defense spending
is, historically, a very high proportion of public expenditure, and
the perception is widespread that this is at the expense of other
essential development sectors. Even though this issue is relatively
well-known, it does need to be constantly reiterated.

There are other issues that are not well-known, and yet others about
which very little public information exists. The question of public
access to military budgetary information is a crucial issue of
transparency and political accountability.

The secrecy surrounding nuclear-related military expenditure is even
more severe. It is estimated that the costs of developing nuclear
capability represents only about a tenth of the cost of nuclear
deployment. Some 90% of the cost would need to be borne in
development of command and control systems, delivery systems etc.
The argument, therefore, that nuclear weapons will lead to reductions
in overall defense spending is largely spurious.

Militarisation of the economy and society
The military is a major burden not only terms of the defense budget
but also through its direct economic activities and claims on
resources. Military foundations often enjoy preferential treatment,
tax concessions etc. The military also has a major stake in the
allotment of both rural and urban land. Expenditures on cantonments
is outside the usual defense budget. It is also thought that secret
military operations benefit from cross-border smuggling at the
expense of domestic industry. On these issues there is some
information but a great deal of investigative work still needs to be
done to establish a comprehensive overview.

Another major burden is the militarisation of society. There are of
course important political, social and cultural implications. There
are also economic implications, such as an atmosphere of insecurity.
Trade and economic cooperation

The case for greater economic interaction between Pakistan and its
neighbors is overwhelming. There is already a great deal of trade
that goes on informally or through third countries. Pakistan has
also signed up to be a part of international trade agreements which
necessitate opening up all countries including India. In other
words, greater trade and economic cooperation is not just beneficial,
but inevitable.

On these sets of issues there is a great deal of confusion. Many
people believe that trade with India will destroy large parts of
Pakistan's industry. There is very little research on this issue.
What little research that exists shows that overall trade will be
beneficial. There are large sections of the business community that
support greater opening up, though there are also those who oppose it
on protectionist grounds. There are indications that some sectors
such as steel and light engineering would suffer in the short run,
whereas other sectors such as textiles and agriculture are likely to
benefit. The economic argument for blanket protectionism is not well-
founded. All these issues require further research and analysis.

Besides trade, there is much to be gained from economic cooperation
in other fields. There is already massive labour migration within
South Asia which is largely unregulated and poses serious human
rights challenges. There is also the possibility of South Asia
taking up collective positions in the design and implementation of
institutions for global governance to the advantage of all countries
concerned. Unfortunately, one of the few notable examples of
cooperation relates to the common stand taken by India and Pakistan
on the issue of banning child labour -- both countries opposed it.

Wider issues in political economy
---------------------------------
There a strong sense that Pakistan's foreign policy posture is a
reflection of its internal distribution of power. Economic
relationships with the rest of the world also reflect this. An
important aspect of the economics for peace is to place all these
issues within a human rights and economic justice perspective.

Issues for further and ongoing economic research
Based on the above discussions, the following points emerged as
subjects for further research and analysis:

- details of defense spending
- economic implications of militarisation of economy and society
- intra-military issues of allocation; i.e. optimal model of defense
in Pakistan.
- precise impact of trade relations
- possibilities of cooperation in institutions of global governance
- clearer identification of gainers and losers of greater regional
economic cooperation

Possible courses of action
--------------------------
- network of resource persons, both here and abroad.
- coordination of research activities.
- make available material and speakers to advocacy groups, existing
study circles (Aurat Foundation), political parties (those
present who offered support included JSM, TI), academic
institutions (possibilities of coordinating with Education group),
trade unions, chambers of commerce (support offered by former
office bearer of SAARC Chamber of Commerce in this regard).
- website for compilation and dissemination of material.
- preparation of detailed plan of action by committee consisting of
the following within 6 weeks:
Asad Sayeed
Haris Gazdar
Zainab Latif
Shahid Kardar
S.M. Inam
Sofia Noreen
======================================

Group-3 : (Peace Politics in the Mass Media)
Facilitator : Mohammed Tanveer
Resource Persons: Hussain Sajjad, Rahat Dar, Naila Qadri, Zafrullah
Khan and Imran Munir

Mass media's outreach, its potential to shape public opinion and
convert peace activism into a mass movement was never felt so
severely as now when peace lobbies in the subcontinent have begun to
see signs of a better scenario in India-Pakistan relations.

Despite these new hopes and development, we witness a gap between
them and the mass media's coverage of events that followed after
Chagi/Pokhran tests. "Very few newspapers wrote against them" was the
general observation of this working group.

42 media practitioners cutting across all categories of media i.e.
editors, owners, reporters and free-lance journalists from national
and regional papers and news agencies attended the session. Also
representatives from India were present there.

We had to somewhat keep electronic media out of this debate as it is
controlled by the state. Private channels also surrender their news
and views programmes to the state. Despite privatization across all
sections of enterprise, the government has resisted to let loose of
its control in the electronic media.

The working group discussion identified the following general reasons
that limit mass media in Pakistan: low reading habits, low
circulation of newspapers, illiteracy, insecurity and paranoia among
pro-peace journalists and fears of a state backlash in defence-
related issues, a virtual lack of editors' say in determining
newspapers policies as against owners' commercial interests and their
submission to state dictation, issues of job security, lack of
professional training and immediacy of news.

Suggestions:
-----------
- Coordination between peace groups and media practitioners
- Up-gradation of JRC and linkages with other media and advocacy
organizations
- Skills development of journalists
- Intervention within the electronic media
- Trying to end abuse of language by newspapers that they do when
referring to Indo-Pak relations
- Demanding a lifting of the ban upon publications' exchange between
India and Pakistan
- Use of NGOs newsletters and other publications as an alternative
media
- Establishing an information resource centre with website linkages
between Indo-Pak peace groups
- Establishing an Indo-Pak journalists forum
- Monitoring mis-representations that occur in Indian and Pakistani
media
- Exchange of information and publications between South Asian
Countries
- Translation of peace films into regional languages
- Recording memories about Partition
- Letters to editor wherever needed
- Capacity building of journalists
- Strengthening press trade unionism
- Integration of pro-people politics with media
- Motivating owners/editors of newspapers
- Peace be seen with a holistic perspective
- Initiate public hearing and public awareness campaigns
- Use of local newspapers
- Exchange of photo exhibitions between India and Pakistan
- Demanding visa relaxation for Indo-Pak journalists

Initiatives should be based on the interests of the people of South
Asia.
================================

Group-4 : (Art, Culture and Peace)
Facilitator : Sheema Kermani
Resource persons: Asma Mundrawala, Huma Mulji and Roohi Ahmed

The session was opened by the facilitator (Sheema Kermani) suggesting
a possible agenda for the discussion. All participants introduced
themselves. Vazira Yacoobali read a proposal on the direction the
discussion might take. The issues raised were as follows:

- What makes a culture of violence and war. What makes a culture of
peace.
- Violence or peace is considered outside of culture, aberrations of
society, and their reasons socio-economic. Could they also be
cultural reasons.
- This is an anthropological point of view because of my affiliation
to the subject: but Ireland (Belfast) has been studied as a society
under that context and it could be compared to Karachi where
killings become part of a form of expression.
- What are the possible Cultural underpinnings of conflict.
- The role of Art is considered above all of this, it is considered a
peaceful and benign(?) form of expression, but is it really so? Art
has not always been 'pure' in history. It has served and promoted an
oppressive, dictatorial and fascist regime. It has also been
propagandist.

- Popular Art (commercial films/art on vehicles etc.) is believed to
be a reflection of society and Classical art or 'elitist' art is
believed to be 'high' and above all of that. That is not really
so... but only a misinterpretation of Art.

Participants discussed these issues and others proposed through the
discourse.

The discussion concluded with participants suggesting ideas that
would continue promoting the idea of peace and of links between India
and Pakistan, the issue which is the most threatening in our times
and that which dictates the framework of our thinking today:

1- What we require is a change of attitude on an individual level. We
are conditioned in a certain way and we need to rethink our ideas.
Culture is not spontaneous, we are conditioned through the mass media
and made to think in a certain way.

2- Talks of peace, love and humanism should replace those of
violence. Stories of Humanism between the people of the two nations
instead of those of horror, should be compiled into a book.

3- Children should be sensitized to the idea. And this would in a few
years, create a better generation of human beings. The Youth of the
two countries should be involved in promoting peace. This is the
generation that has seen the horror of eminent war, and it will take
time to wipe out those ideas.

4- Young people are impressionable, and it is important to train them
through visual means, which they understand better. Theatre, video
screening of documentaries, etc. should be used to teach ideas of
peace.

5- The printed media should not be ignored. It is a medium worth
utilizing: Poetry from the sub-continent should be compiled and
printed.

6- Competitions for children: Peace slogan writing, drawing,
painting, etc. should be organized. Also poetry exchange between the
two countries should occur, not as an 'event' but a process. This can
be on anything, not necessarily on the issue of peace.

7- Begin some kind of dialogue, which we have already done here; even
if one ends up differing. Both countries tend to use religion as a
weapon. The message against this should be conveyed to
students/youth. We should have a humanitarian objective. We share
language and culture. In a different context (like the West) we
become closer, the differences seem negligible.

8- Our prejudices have warped our perception: this conference is not
only limited to South Asia, but is universal.

9- All of us who have a skill should use it as a tool. Singing,
dancing, drawing etc. are strong mediums of communication.

10- Puppetry is a medium that children relate to. We could use mobile
puppet shows to transport our message of peace to children in various
parts of the countries.

11- We must identify teach area for such forums. Usually only large
cities like Delhi, Lahore, Karachi, Bombay get to benefit from these.
Remote areas should also have the opportunity to benefit from such
exchange.

12- Liberate the Khokhropar border.

13- Start a ferry service between the two countries.

14- Non-Elite exchange of citizens of both countries. The common man
should have the opportunity of easy travel between India and Pakistan
as well.

15- The Consulate Generals of Bombay and Karachi should be contacted,
(when re-opened) and proposed these ideas so that something concrete
can come out of it.

- The group had 45 participants
- We felt that the session should be inter-active and participatory
- The issues discussed were what is a culture of violence and war and
what is a culture of peace? Are there cultural reasons that create
and push people to express themselves through violent rather than
through peaceful means?
- The role of art was discussed - does or can art strengthen and help
peace movements to develop?
- It was noted that dance, music, visual and performing arts
transcend language barriers and are therefore incredible, almost
magical means of communication and bonding. What we need to organise
are Peace Concerts = Mushairas as well as theatre and related
performing arts recitals.
- Films by Anand Patwardhan and Jharana Jhaveri were shown and
discussed.
- The group finally felt that a forum for exchange of artists needs
to be created and the participants from India offered to try and do
this for artists from Pakistan.

A list of recommendations was drawn up and the participants felt that
the Peace Coalition should help them with this exchange of creative
expression between India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, as well as Nepal
and Sri Lanka.

- There was a suggestion to try and set up a neutral TV channel that
would broadcast progress of love and harmony rather than plays on
violence and hatred.
[Continued . . . in Part 2]

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/act