[sacw] People's Convention against Communalism

Harsh Kapoor aiindex@mnet.fr
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:26:49 +0100

FYI (Thanks to friends in India for forwarding this)
South Asia Citizens Web
============================

At an impressive Convention called at the initiative of the left parties
and individuals in New Delhi, the secular and democratic political
parties of India reiterated their uncompromising commitment to fighting
the communal and fascist forces led by the Sangh Parivar. The convention
was attended by almost all the main parties in the Indian political
spectrum, ranging from the communists, left-liberal parties and 'middle
of the road' formations to the regional political groups. Congress Party
did not attend.

In the historic Mavalankar Auditorium, packed to capacity and spilling
over into the lawns outside, representatives of parliament, important
leaders of various political parties, trade unions, writers, artists,
teachers, students, employees in various sectors, film stars, and social
scientists reaffirmed their faith in the secular and pluralistic
heritage of India, condemned the BJP and Sangh Parivar's concerted
attack on the minorities, called for strong opposition to its moves to
undermine democratic procedures in political life, and pledged to carry
forward the movement to dislodge this anti-people government.

The Convention called for all present to carry the movement to their
places of work, to give what was already a movement for the defense of
secularism and democracy a stronger base at the grassroots, and to begin
this effort with a signature campaign on this pledge adopted at the
Convention. It was decided that at least 1 crore signatures be
collected.

We give below the text of the pledge.

People's convention against Communalism
20th February 1999, New Delhi

Resolution

Never before has India faced such grave challenges that threaten to tear
asunder the unity of our country and the integrity of its social fabric.

The communal virus assiduously nurtured by the British through their
notorious divide and rule policy was admirably aided by communal
elements within the country. For nearly a century, hate and animosity
was patronised as official policy, which eventually led to the tragic
and painful partition of our country. Our people foiled all communal
designs and adopted secularism as a fundamental feature of our
Republican Constitution. With supreme patriotic fervour, we strengthened
our great country's unity and integrity. This is the proud legacy that
we inherit.

Rapid communal intolerance is however, now being pursued with greater
vigour following the installation of the present BJP-led Government. The
fascist methodology of propaganda, fabrication and inhuman violence
adopted by the communal forces not only constitute an open defiance of
our of our Republican Constitution but mount a vicious attack on the
entire secular democratic edifice of India, apart from tarnishing
India's image in the international fora.

Notwithstanding formal statements of condemnation, the present BJP-led
government is in fact patronising organisations like the VHP, Bajrang
Dal and other RSS affiliates that continue to perpetrate violent crimes
as recently witnessed against the Christian minority in Gujarat, Orissa
and elsewhere. No amount of public outcry appears to inhibit these
forces from continuing to ravage our society. This government's
complicity in deepening the communal divide, disrupting social harmony
amongst people belonging to different faiths and consequent insecurity,
is gravely endangering our country's unity and integrity.

We the people of India
Reaffirm our commitment to safeguard and strengthen the secular
democratic foundations of the Indian Republic
Committed to protect our pluralistic cultural and syncretic
civilisational ethos that evolved over many centuries
Determined to defend our motherland and preserve its unity and integrity
from such vile forces
In the spirit of supreme patriotism
Pledge to unitedly defeat the gravest challenge being faced by
Independent India.

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/act