[nyfoil-l] Fwd: July 7 NYC premiere of great new doc film about last year's coup in Honduras

Aniruddha Das ad2069 at columbia.edu
Mon Jul 5 14:21:13 CDT 2010

From: Joseph Huff-Hannon <pelirojo79 at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 23:16:40 -0400
Subject: July 7 NYC premiere of great new doc
film about last year's coup in Honduras

Dear friends and colleagues,

I wanted to invite you to the U.S. premiere of a
powerful new documentary film  about last year's
coup in Honduras, and the courageous resistance
movement that's risen up to challenge it. I've
been helping to organize the screening here in
New York and hope you can make it -- next
Wednesday July 7 (details below, please share far
and wide, it's free!). I had the chance to meet
the filmmakers last month in Argentina, where
they were living in exile and finishing their
film (more on their story here), and director
Katia Lara will be in New York next week for a
the one-day screening, before accompanying the
film in DC, Philadelphia and the Bay Area. The
NYC screening is co-sponsored by the Center for
Constitutional Rights, CISPES, NACLA, Madres and the Indypendent.

Hope to see you there!

Joseph

p.s. Here's a piece I just did for The Guardian
on the one-year anniversary of the coup, based on
my interviews with Honduran anti-coup activists.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/jun/28/honduras-coup-one-year

***

WE ARE NOT AFRAID: INSIDE THE COUP IN HONDURAS
(QUIEN DIJO MIEDO: HONDURAS DE UN GOLPE)

NYC Premiere! One Night Only, Free Screening!

July 7. 7pm
Tribeca Cinemas
54 Varick Street
New York, NY

Free screening followed by Q& with filmmaker Katia Lara

"...a much needed truth telling intervention
where mainstream media has failed."
—Greg Grandin, award-winning author Empire’s
Workshop: Latin America, the United States, and the Rise of the New Imperialism

A widely-anticipated, feature-length documentary
film about the 2009 military coup d'etat in
Honduras and the incredible resistance movement
that has risen up to challenge it.

René is a Honduran amateur actor who appeared on
television spots promoting the referendum on
convening the National Constituent Assembly in
Honduras. On June 28th, 2009, instead of a
referendum, there was a brutal coup d’état: the
army abducted President Manuel Zelaya and had him
flown abroad. Along with thousands of other
Hondurans, René joined the National Resistance
Front against the Coup d’ État. An unprecedented
Honduras arises: a people who resist despite
media bias, violence and death, and take to the
streets to stand up for their rights. This is their story.

Sponsored by the Center for Constitutional
Rights, MADRE, CISPES, NACLA and the Indypendent.
Film by terco Producciones and el INCAA
(Instituto Nacional de Cine y Artes Audiovisuales de Argentina)

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=127201653986667

For more information and to view the trailer:
http://quiendijomiedofilm.blogspot.com/

More on the film and the filmmakers:
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/the-americas/100527/movie-honduras-coup

Packed "Quien Dijo Miedo" premiere in Buenos
Aires: http://www.quotha.net/node/999

For more information about this event please email: events at ccrjustice.org