[nyfoil-l] 2/10 New York, NY: Conference on Guantanamo Bay, human rights and civil liberties

SIUHIN at aol.com SIUHIN at aol.com
Wed Feb 7 13:43:53 CST 2007

National Immigrant Solidarity Network
webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _info at ImmigrantSolidarity.org_ (mailto:info at ImmigrantSolidarity.org)

May  Day 2007 National Day of Immigrant Rights! _http://www.MayDay2007.org_
(http://www.mayday2007.org/)

*to join the immigrant Solidarity Network daily news litserv, send  e-mail
to: _isn-subscribe at lists.riseup.net_ (mailto:isn-subscribe at lists.riseup.net)  or
visit:  _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn)

2/10 New York, NY: Conference on  Guantanamo Bay, human rights and civil
liberties

Zeeshan  Suhail

I'm writing to inform you of a conference that will be taking place this
Saturday, February 10 at the _CUNY Graduate Center_ (http://www.gc.cuny.edu/)
(365 Fifth  Avenue, between 34th and 35th sts.) from 1-3 P.M. (followed by a
video screening  of the documentary _"Outlawed"_
(http://www.amnestyusa.org/america/index.html) ). I would appreciate it if you could forward  the information
to students or anyone else you think may be interested.

The focus of the event is Guantanamo Bay and post-9/11 civil liberties  in
America.  _ Adem Carroll_ (http://www.mcnny.org/carroll.html)  of the  _Muslim
Consultative  Network_ (http://www.mcnny.org/main.html)  and _Lynne Kates from
the  Center for Constitutional Rights_ (http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp)
will be speaking on their work with  the Guantanamo issue and civil liberties in
general as well as giving advice to  students interested in careers in the
field. In addition to this specific topic,  we want to address the disconnect
between expert opinion on these types of  issues and actual U.S. policy, in an
attempt to learn how to make our careers as  influential as possible.

The conference will be open to 20-25 qualified  students, giving them a
chance to have all of their questions answered and ideas  critiqued, as well as
offering great networking opportunities.

An  invitation is below, and I would greatly appreciate it if you would
forward it  to students you think may be interested.

Thank you in advance for your  support,

Zeeshan Suhail

==============================

Saturday, February 10, 2007
1 PM
at the _CUNY Graduate  Center_ (http://www.gc.cuny.edu/)

Guantanamo Bay & Post-9/11 Civil Liberties in  America

Who are the most influential figures when it comes to U.S.  decisions
affecting civil liberties? How do we balance civil liberties with  national security
concerns after the 9/11 attacks? How can we impact positive,  meaningful
change when states are listening less and less to their citizenry?

_Adem Carroll_ (http://www.mcnny.org/carroll.html)  (_ Muslim Consultative
Network_ (http://www.mcnny.org/main.html) ) will speak on infringement on
rights and liberties of  Muslims after 9/11

_Lynn Kates (Center for  Constitutional Rights)_
(http://www.ccr-ny.org/v2/home.asp)  will speak on the state of affairs of civil  liberties and human
rights at Guantanamo Bay (and elsewhere) after 9/11

A  brief panel discussion will be followed by an open dialogue between the
experts  and attendees. Come share your views on Guantanamo and civil liberties
in  America and find out how to have the most impact on U.S. security  policy.

Please RSVP with a short bio to _clmadden at gmail.com_
(mailto:clmadden at gmail.com)  for  details.

Zeeshan Suhail
Mobile Phone: +1.646.920.8482
Email:  _Zeeshan.Suhail at gmail.com_ (mailto:Zeeshan.Suhail at gmail.com)
Weblog:  _http://ZeeshanSuhail.blogspot.com/ _
(http://zeeshansuhail.blogspot.com/) __._

,_.___

National Immigrant Solidarity Network
No Immigrant  Bashing! Support Immigrant Rights!
webpage: _http://www.ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(http://www.immigrantsolidarity.org/)
e-mail:  _info at ImmigrantSolidarity.org_
(mailto:infor at ImmigrantSolidarity.org)
New  York: (212)330-8172
Los Angeles: (213)403-0131
Washington D.C.:  (202)595-8990

Please consider making a donation to the  important work of National
Immigrant Solidarity Network

Send check pay to:
National  Immigrant Solidarity Network/AFGJ

Send check to:
ActionLA / The Peace Center
8124 West 3rd Street, Suite  104
Los Angeles, California 90048
(All donations are tax  deductible)

*to join the immigrant Solidarity Network  daily news litserv, send e-mail
to: isn-subscribe at lists.riseup.net
or visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn)

*a  monthly ISN monthly Action Alert! listserv, go to webpage
_http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest_ (http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/isn-digest)

The  web page has been design by Activist Design Studio
Please visit: _http://www.ActivistDesign.net_
(http://www.activistdesign.net/)
Toll-Free:  (888)635-3307

**Please join our following listservs:

Asian  American Labor Activism Alert!
send-e-mail to: _api-la-subscribe at lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:api-la-subscribe at lists.riseup.net)
or  visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/api-la)

New York, New Jersey and Pennsylvania areas immigrant workers  information
and alerts
send e-mail to: _nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe at lists.riseup.net_
(mailto:nyc-immigrantalert-subscribe at lists.riseup.net)
or visit: _http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert_
(http://lists.riseup.net/www/info/nyc-immigrantalert)

US-Mexico Border Information: No Militarization of Borders! Support
Immigrant Rights!
send e-mail to: _Border01-subscribe at yahoogroups.com_
(mailto:Border01-subscribe at yahoogroups.com)